New Delhi moves to tackle choking pollution

snoop1130

New Delhi moves to tackle choking pollution
Euronews

606x341_320062.jpg

NEW DELHI, INDIA -- In what has been dubbed the world’s most polluted city, the message seems to be enough is enough.

Moves to tackle toxic smog in New Delhi include cracking down on diesel cars and from January 1, banning the use of private cars on alternate days – according to their registration numbers.

Reaching out to students, those in charge of India’s capital are explaining the benefits of measures critics claim are too little too late.

“This will only be successful once it becomes a very big movement, when people want to act from their hearts,”
Chief Minister of Delhi, Arvind Kejriwal told youngsters in the city.

“We don’t have to do this because I say so or because it is being forced upon us by the government. We must do this because we feel it’s important for our lives and our health.”

Some young people seem to be getting the message, taking to two wheels to help clean up the streets and combat a nationwide problem.

The World Health Organization said last year that 13 of the world’s 20 most polluted cities were in India, with New Delhi being the worst. India rejected the report’s findings.

Source: http://www.euronews.com/2015/12/31/new-delhi-moves-to-tackle-choking-pollution/

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-12-31

I don't understand, I thought they were 100% committed to opening a major new coal mine every month for the next 50 months. Not sure how they will square the circle with reducing smog in Delhi. Oh well, I guess it is just more political double speak. Tell the punters what they want to hear and hope rain and wind improve the situation. whistling.gif

I've got a plan for a smog reducing device. I honestly don't know how original it is, but it's very simple and uses nearly no power. Today I submitted a letter mentioning it - to the bkk Post's Postbag. Here's the idea: a tall hollow metal construction, could be built with open-ended 55 gallon barrels with some structural strengthening for height. It's painted black. Openings at bottom. Air is solar heated inside, heats up and rises out the top. On the way, there are water misters, probably warm water also pre-heated by the sun. It's all passive solar - no PV/DC or AC needed, except maybe little pumps for the misters. Smog laden water drops to bottom to be dealt with (filtered and recycled?) relatively clean air billows out the top. Anyone who wants to correspond with me on this or related topic, please contact me.

India and China have to get serious with their pollution, or the

rest of the world will continue to suffer. I do not believe in anyone being

charged with a carbon tax in any other country until the real polluting

countries try harder to lower their pollution emissions.

A new twist to the idea mentioned in my post, 2 slots above: Look at buildings in cities which have south facing walls. The towers I mentioned earlier, don't have to be self-standing - they can be half-tubes or tubes going up the sides of south-facing walls. The top of the stacks could go up to, or higher than the top of the wall/roof. Also: the tubes could serve added duty as drainspouts.

Below is an odd vehicle in Zengzou China. The idea is ok, but there are some drawbacks. For example, the vehicle is likely powered by fossil fuels, as are it's pumps/misters - plus, it adds to traffic. Instead, the device itself could be stationed at hundreds of sites, sucking in air and blowing out smog-laden water vapor.

FOREIGN201501071311000209609790944.jpg

A new twist to the idea mentioned in my post, 2 slots above: Look at buildings in cities which have south facing walls. The towers I mentioned earlier, don't have to be self-standing - they can be half-tubes or tubes going up the sides of south-facing walls. The top of the stacks could go up to, or higher than the top of the wall/roof. Also: the tubes could serve added duty as drainspouts.

Below is an odd vehicle in Zengzou China. The idea is ok, but there are some drawbacks. For example, the vehicle is likely powered by fossil fuels, as are it's pumps/misters - plus, it adds to traffic. Instead, the device itself could be stationed at hundreds of sites, sucking in air and blowing out smog-laden water vapor.

Is this pic of a pollution reducing or pollution maker? It looks more like smoke than water mist. Maybe its a mosquito smoke hummer on a grand scale?

The principle idea of your draft cleaner is not off the wall. If all high rise buildings also incorporated a workable draft tube along side the lift shafts it could at least remove pollutive output from each building. But the scale of pollution output in some open places would require such potentialI I can imagine it would create something similar to a torndao effect. The ground would be sucked clean but the air above might be filled with plastic bags and small children !

But seriously the only option to combat atmospheric pollution is to eradicate the source. Treat the disease and not the symptoms.Unfortunately treatable diseases are as much ignored as is pollution in the interest of that which glitters.

Is this pic of a pollution reducing or pollution maker? It looks more like smoke than water mist. Maybe its a mosquito smoke hummer on a grand scale?

It's a roving vehicle which treats polluted air (blown through) with water mist. According to the article in the Chinese newspaper, it claims the mister changes smog on a chemical/molecular level. Doubtful. At best, it probably gets water droplets to stick to smog particles - which thereby drop down and wet the pavement. My guess is, when the pavement dries, the smog particles are still there as dust. The mister probably helps, but it seems silly to have it driving around. It seems more as much of a grandstanding thing (city fathers can say, "see, we're doing something tangible") ...as anything else.

It's a roving vehicle which treats polluted air (blown through) with water mist. According to the article in the Chinese newspaper, it claims the mister changes smog on a chemical/molecular level. Doubtful. At best, it probably gets water droplets to stick to smog particles - which thereby drop down and wet the pavement. My guess is, when the pavement dries, the smog particles are still there as dust. The mister probably helps, but it seems silly to have it driving around. It seems more as much of a grandstanding thing (city fathers can say, "see, we're doing something tangible") ...as anything else.

Thanks for the additional detail. I agree with your comment. Perhaps an effective application would be a permanent drizzle sprayed overhead of a whole city and automated sludge scrapers at street level.wink.png