Koh Tao debacle: Shoddy work from beginning to end

Jonathan Fairfield

<snip>

Muang Muang may or may not have been complicit in the crime. <snip>

Bugs Bunny may or may not have been complicit in the crime. BTW has anyone spoken with the 3 young women sitting with the late Ms. Witheridge about anyone pestering their friend that evening?

<snip>

Misdirection again !

You have posted many times about court proceedings in Thailand and so you know that this is irrelevant and an intended distraction.

Court proceedings are irrelevant. ThaiVisa is relevant. There was evidence presented by the prosecution as to the two deceased's whereabouts that evening and who was and who was not in their company or following them. So any such information to the contrary would conceivably be allowed in an appeal.

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

September 25, 2014

“Pol Gen Somyot pointed to groundless reports posted on social media that obstructed the investigation and confused the investigators.”

We haven't targeted anyone and have not concluded whether the murderers are still in the area,'' he said.”

“The mystery surrounding the identities of the killers had grown over reports, which he denied, that a suspect had fled the island and was hiding in Bangkok."

"I was surprised at the news.”

http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-police-blame-koh-tao-probe-delays-on-social-media-48872.php

Yet, two days prior:

September 23, 2014

"Police in Thailand said today they had identified two men they wanted to speak to as part of the inquiry into the murder of two British tourists.”

“One of the suspects had been questioned while the other had left the island where the killings took place.”

“Lt Gen Panya Mamen, a senior southern police commander, said the suspects were related to the village leader on the island of Koh Tao.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/thailand-beach-murders-police-identify-two-suspects-over-deaths-of-hannah-witheridge-and-david-9751056.html

September 25, 2014 "Thailand’s military junta has vowed to launch a major anti-vice campaign on the tourist island of Koh Tao following the horrific murders of two British backpackers."

"General Prayut Chan-o-cha, the country’s Prime Minister, has ordered an immediate offensive against “influential rackets and illegitimate businesses on the tourist island, and pledged to punish soldiers or police patronizing these people or their activities,” "The crackdown would target “mafia-type influential people”

Prachum Ruangthong, the police chief responsible for the island, told The Telegraph: “I have to say 100 per cent there is no mafia in Koh Tao.” whistling.gif

As a follow-up, Prayut and Prachum declared there are no dirty canals in Bangkok. "krungtep mai mee klong sokaprot"

I am wandering. Were the butts found next to the body, or at the log, or near the scene.

...not near the bodies. There was one cig butt and it was found several tens of meters (50 or 60?) from the bodies. From my view, the butt and the unused condom are irrelevant. The prosecution didn't even submit it as evidence ("DNA all used up") knowing it was either useless. It's a party beach. It's Thailand. Trash is strewed hither thither. There was also an intact wine bottle shown upright in the sand near D's body - shown clearly in a crime scene photo. No mention of the bottle in the police report. Because of the non-mention, I wondered earlier why the translator had made the scapegoats admit a bottle was used. Was the bottle dusted for prints? ...tested for blood or DNA? Why was it not broken (?) as the translator told the scapegoats to claim. There are more holes in the investigation than a sponge mop factory.

Follow

It's clear police lab didn't apply international standards on DNA testing in Koh Tao death sentence case. & No reply

CZTPTy0WEAEjqR7.jpg
CZTPVPgWAAA77QX.jpg
CZTPVJMXEAAlM62.jpg
CZTPU87WAAAQHaa.jpg

No verification that Thai police lab accredited in Koh Tao death sentence case. No accreditation stamps on crt docs.

CZTPVPgWAAA77QX.jpg
CZTPVJMXEAAlM62.jpg
CZTPU87WAAAQHaa.jpg

Follow

10 days & counting. No reply yet Thai Public Health & prosecutor on "accreditation" of police lab. Murder Koh Tao

CZX_EqVUsAEEe2g.jpg

Possible first response (if any) to Solicitor Yarwood might be: And your standing in this matter is?

Perhaps he is helping Mark Trowell QC

Both accused face the death penalty in Thailand. With other lawyers, I have been asked to asset in preparing grounds of appeal for these men. Will keep you informed.

A.the judge did not make his ruling solely on the dna evidence. He looked at video footage ,testimony of the defendants , other evidence left at or near the scene. He also listened to many witnesses , and explained on each issue why he agreed or disagreed. One of the biggest floors of the defense was almost all of their rebuttals were based on hearsay, with no sound evidence to back it up.

B. The dna of the 2nd defendant was not mixed.

C. What kind of lawyer plasters letters that would be used as evidence in an appeal all over the media.

D. If the defense continue to ignore defenses of other evidence, and do not change their strategy, they will lose again.

At best the b2 will get life, without the death penalty.

Possible first response (if any) to Solicitor Yarwood might be: And your standing in this matter is?

Both accused face the death penalty in Thailand. With other lawyers, I have been asked to asset in preparing grounds of appeal for these men. Will keep you informed.

Well then if Mr. Trowell has any standing in the case with the Court then maybe he should be the one asking for the reply.

A.the judge did not make his ruling solely on the dna evidence. He looked at video footage ,testimony of the defendants , other evidence left at or near the scene. He also listened to many witnesses , and explained on each issue why he agreed or disagreed.

You're assuming the judges didn't already know which way they were going to vote prior to the trial. Note: there were several changes of judges, both before and during the trial. The judges themselves declared the DNA was the the linchpin of coming to their decisions. It's disingenuous because the DNA trail and evidence has been proved repeatedly - to be skewed and unprofessional. That's like building a car using a frame made of chopsticks held together by bubblegum. What video footage is there of the B2? There are a couple of stills from CCTV about 4 to 5 hours prior to the crime, that's it. I don't know of any video of the either of the B2. As for witnesses; the prosecution didn't even try to call the most important: Sean, MM/B3, MM/DJ, Mon, Nomsod, Hoe Man, Stingray Man, and the boat driver who was found in a cave and was too drugged to speak to police, or the taxi driver who was offered Bt.700k to lie. etc ad nauseum.

One of the biggest floors of the defense was almost all of their rebuttals were based on hearsay, with no sound evidence to back it up.

It's the duty of the defense to defend. Supposedly, defendants are innocent until proven guilty. However, in Thailand it's often 'guilty until proven innocent.' If you wanna talk about hearsay, talk about the lack of DNA evidence provided by prosecution. All their DNA talk was hearsay. What tangible evidence did they provide? None, unless you want to count the piece of paper with cross-outs and scribbled additions.

B. The dna of the 2nd defendant was not mixed.

C. What kind of lawyer plasters letters that would be used as evidence in an appeal all over the media.

D. If the defense continue to ignore defenses of other evidence, and do not change their strategy, they will lose again.

At best the b2 will get life, without the death penalty.

As for your last sentence (no pun intended), I agree they will get life, but I think they will also get an early-release pardon from you-know-who - to be let out early. From a realistic viewpoint, they shouldn't have been one day in jail, because they should have been granted bail from the get-go. In contrast, neither Mon nor Nomsod saw the inside of a jail cell even though they were prime suspects initially. You know the reasons.

Well then if Mr. Trowell has any standing in the case with the Court then maybe he should be the one asking for the reply.

Well seeing as your so interested in this then it is of course possible for you to ask him yourself rather than ask on TV

Well seeing as your so interested in this then it is of course possible for you to ask him yourself rather than ask on TV

He's from Australia.

We can go on and on and round and round with this case but perhaps we are viewing it from the wrong angle. Most of us are used to western justice with an innocent till proven guilty approach but here things are different. The result is predetermined and the police tell the judges who is guilty. For the judges to effectively say the police are telling porkies is out of the question. The fact that in this case there is no hard evidence (what little there was has been lost by the accusers) is therefore irrelevant. The fact is there is no justice here and we all know that money decides all not what is right or wrong. Throw in a bit of racism and the B2 are perfect fits for a solution. There is no way any appeal will be successful as all is predetermined but there may emerge a compromise. If enough outrage is generated the death sentence will be commuted and possibly the prison sentence will be later served in a Burmese jail. That would be a lot more comfortable for the B2 as they are thought of as victims back home and as things are forgotten even lead to effective freedom. That is the best we can hope for.

Those that argue here that justice has been served clearly need their heads examined but there's always a few nutters circling around tragedies and we should just ignore them other than to show how the facts contradict their twisting of them.

greenchair, on 24 Jan 2016 - 01:28, said:
rockingrobin, on 23 Jan 2016 - 14:53, said:
greenchair, on 22 Jan 2016 - 13:09, said:

I agree with somo and some others. The case was shoddy.

The police had everything they needed. Witnesses, dna everywhere , video footage of the suspects, belongings of the suspects at the scene, belongings of the victims at the suspects. They had everything and still they let one go.

I am shocked and angry about that. That beautiful lady was held down and raped in the worst possible way. And there are posters here that would like to see them out on a technicality. You are all correct, there was no need for torture . there was no need for a confession. And that has stained the case and gives posters fodder to defend them.

GC

' They still let one go ' I am presuming you mean Muang Muang

Now why would they let MM go, the RTP detained and questioned him and found he was not involved.

The reason I changed my mind is Wei Phyo story got to difficult to explain anymore. Muang Muang story is a carbon copy of Wei Phyo. The only difference is he didn't have the phone. He is there at 2am. He is back at 5am. It is his shoe left at the scene. He is on video walking around with one shoe. the oldest alibi in the world. I was with my girlfriend. not to mention that he has kept very quiet about all this

Strangely, I find the 2nd defendant story quite plausible. He went to the beach, and went to his bungalow to sleep. I think the first theory is correct, there were at least 3 people there. Muang Muang fits into all of it like a jigsaw.

He is on video walking around with one shoe.

Greenchair, you have been obsessed with this shoe since the beginning of the investigation. Maung Maung was NOT walking around with only one shoe in the CCTV footage. If you think so, then you need your eyes testing! The shoe found at the crime scene (i.e. near where the bodies were found) did NOT belong to Maung Maung either. As to the phone, well Zaw Lin (the 1st defendant) didn't have it either, yet he has been convicted and sentenced to death purely on a dubious DNA test result (as would Wei Phyo, with or without the phone). If you are so certain that Maung Maung is involved in the crime, why don't you go to Myanmar, make a citizen's arrest and bring him back to Thailand to stand trial? Better still, why don't you ask the RTP why they really let Maung Maung go and relay their answer to this forum? I'm sure we would all like to know.

greenchair, on 24 Jan 2016 - 09:38, said:
JLCrab, on 24 Jan 2016 - 06:24, said:
boomerangutang, on 24 Jan 2016 - 04:30, said:

<snip>

Bugs Bunny may or may not have been complicit in the crime. BTW has anyone spoken with the 3 young women sitting with the late Ms. Witheridge about anyone pestering their friend that evening?

Thailand-last-pic_3049270b.jpg

It's interesting that you should ask that crab. Because if you go to the anonymous video that condemns the investigation ,guess whose name pops up that was in a scuffle that night.

Wehhey none other than Muang Muang. Only in that version David went to help Muang.

Everytime you turn a corner up pop these b3 with a connection to the victims in some way shape or form. What a busy night they had.

The Maung Maung who interacted with David is more likely to have been the DJ at the AC bar. He fled the island soon after the murders, along with many other Burmese migrant workers. The other Maung Maung (B3) worked at the AC2 bar. There is no indication whatsoever that either Hannah or David were in the AC2 bar that night.

greenchair, on 22 Jan 2016 - 13:09, said:

I agree with somo and some others. The case was shoddy.

The police had everything they needed. Witnesses, dna everywhere , video footage of the suspects, belongings of the suspects at the scene, belongings of the victims at the suspects. They had everything and still they let one go.

I am shocked and angry about that. That beautiful lady was held down and raped in the worst possible way. And there are posters here that would like to see them out on a technicality. You are all correct, there was no need for torture . there was no need for a confession. And that has stained the case and gives posters fodder to defend them.

GC

Now why would they let MM go, the RTP detained and questioned him and found he was not involved.

The reason I changed my mind is Wei Phyo story got to difficult to explain anymore. Muang Muang story is a carbon copy of Wei Phyo. The only difference is he didn't have the phone. He is there at 2am. He is back at 5am. It is his shoe left at the scene. He is on video walking around with one shoe. the oldest alibi in the world. I was with my girlfriend. not to mention that he has kept very quiet about all this

Strangely, I find the 2nd defendant story quite plausible. He went to the beach, and went to his bungalow to sleep. I think the first theory is correct, there were at least 3 people there. Muang Muang fits into all of it like a jigsaw.

Greenchair, you have been obsessed with this shoe since the beginning of the investigation. Maung Maung was NOT walking around with only one shoe in the CCTV footage. If you think so, then you need your eyes testing! The shoe found at the crime scene (i.e. near where the bodies were found) did NOT belong to Maung Maung either. As to the phone, well Zaw Lin (the 1st defendant) didn't have it either, yet he has been convicted and sentenced to death purely on a dubious DNA test result (as would Wei Phyo, with or without the phone). If you are so certain that Maung Maung is involved in the crime, why don't you go to Myanmar, make a citizen's arrest and bring him back to Thailand to stand trial? Better still, why don't you ask the RTP why they really let Maung Maung go and relay their answer to this forum? I'm sure we would all like to know.

It's in mm and Wei Phyo own testimony. they went back at 5am to collect the shoe they left behind.

I agree with you about Zaw Lin.

He was at the beach playing guitar, he did go for a swim, then went to his room. I don't know if he was guilty or not. But there really was no evidence against him. I think he should have had a separate trial and may well have won.

Zaw Lin story, is what andy hall tried to get everyone to believe for all 3 of them.

But Wei Phyo and mm story are very different.

They left after 2am to go to bungalow after drinking. after only 2 hours sleep woke and urgently went to the beach at 5am to collect belongings. Who does that? ? What was the urgency to get back to the beach so early. Then Wei Phyo amazingly finds David's. Then I see in the anonymous video, mm was with David that night.

Everywhere you look, read, listen, there are Wei Phyo and mm names. I really don't know why mm was set free. Maybe the police believed the girlfriend alibi. maybe they needed 1 witness to get Wei Phyo.

I did read somewhere that zaw Lin was offered to be set free also at the beginning, but he chose to go with his friend. I don't know if that is true or not. I do believe there were at least 3.

stephenterry, on 24 Jan 2016 - 10:25, said:

I think at least one of the b2 is implicated in the crimes, and that is enough for the Rtp to convince the Miller family. However I don't think any of the b2 committed the crimes. Had that been the case the Rtp would not have lost or used up the DNA evidence, nor the hair and Hannah's clothes. That tells me that there are other killers that have not been apprehended because the main official priority was to close the case asap to protect tourism. If persons of interest were involved it wouldn't have been closed in my lifetime.

The only thing that convinced the Millers was the phone. I wonder what the outcome of the trial would have been if Wei Phyo had not found (sorry, taken) that phone?

greenchair, on 26 Jan 2016 - 02:27, said:greenchair, on 26 Jan 2016 - 02:27, said:
IslandLover, on 26 Jan 2016 - 02:05, said:IslandLover, on 26 Jan 2016 - 02:05, said:
greenchair, on 24 Jan 2016 - 01:28, said:greenchair, on 24 Jan 2016 - 01:28, said:

rockingrobin, on 23 Jan 2016 - 14:53, said:rockingrobin, on 23 Jan 2016 - 14:53, said:

GC

It's in mm and Wei Phyo own testimony. they went back at 5am to collect the shoe they left behind.

I agree with you about Zaw Lin.

He was at the beach playing guitar, he did go for a swim, then went to his room. I don't know if he was guilty or not. But there really was no evidence against him. I think he should have had a separate trial and may well have won.

Zaw Lin story, is what andy hall tried to get everyone to believe for all 3 of them.

But Wei Phyo and mm story are very different.

They left after 2am to go to bungalow after drinking. after only 2 hours sleep woke and urgently went to the beach at 5am to collect belongings. Who does that? ? What was the urgency to get back to the beach so early. Then Wei Phyo amazingly finds David's. Then I see in the anonymous video, mm was with David that night.

Everywhere you look, read, listen, there are Wei Phyo and mm names. I really don't know why mm was set free. Maybe the police believed the girlfriend alibi. maybe they needed 1 witness to get Wei Phyo.

I did read somewhere that zaw Lin was offered to be set free also at the beginning, but he chose to go with his friend. I don't know if that is true or not. I do believe there were at least 3.

they went back at 5am to collect the shoe they left behind.

No Greenchair, it was SHOES (plural). There is a difference. And it was Wei Phyo's shoes, not Maung Maung's. It was allegedly Maung Maung's AC2 t-shirt they were searching for (MM having borrowed WP's). MM needed it for work. They were also looking for the guitar.

greenchair, on 24 Jan 2016 - 09:38, said:

JLCrab, on 24 Jan 2016 - 06:24, said:
boomerangutang, on 24 Jan 2016 - 04:30, said:
<snip>

It's interesting that you should ask that crab. Because if you go to the anonymous video that condemns the investigation ,guess whose name pops up that was in a scuffle that night.
Wehhey none other than Muang Muang. Only in that version David went to help Muang.
Everytime you turn a corner up pop these b3 with a connection to the victims in some way shape or form. What a busy night they had.

The Maung Maung who interacted with David is more likely to have been the DJ at the AC bar. He fled the island soon after the murders, along with many other Burmese migrant workers. The other Maung Maung (B3) worked at the AC2 bar. There is no indication whatsoever that either Hannah or David were in the AC2 bar that night.

How do you know about this other Muang Muang? ??

greenchair, on 26 Jan 2016 - 02:33, said:

How do you know about this other Muang Muang? ??

I know a lot of things, Greenchair smile.png

greenchair, on 23 Jan 2016 - 12:22, said:
jimmybkk, on 23 Jan 2016 - 03:33, said:
catsanddogs, on 22 Jan 2016 - 18:39, said:

Hey, Greenchair - last year if I remember correctly you were going to go into production with tee-shirts that supported the innocence of the Burmese men. You were asking people on TV for design ideas - I take it you have shelved that idea?

It's a classic ploy that's been used in advertising campaigns for years.

Anyone remember Shirley, full-time housewife from Dagenham. Essex? As a mother of 2 young boys, Sam, 7 and Jacob, 9, Shirley understood the importance of using a top-quality washing powder, nothing but the best was good enough for Shirley which is why she used Brand X. So when a TV crew from Dazzle showed up at her door to ask Shirley if she'd like to try a box of the new and improved Dazzle she was having none of it - she was perfectly happy with her Brand X powder and had no intention of switching. Only when the folks from Dazzle offered to swap her old box of Brand X for 2 new boxes of Dazzle did Shirley reluctantly agree to give it a try. Fast forward a week and the Dazzle crew show up on Shirley's doorstep again with her old box of Brand X powder and ask her if she'd like to swap back. "No chance!" says Shirley, clutching a box of Dazzle firmly to her chest and promptly slamming the door in the faces of the TV crew who are left looking somewhat despondent and bemused, unsure quite what they should do with Shirley's old box of Brand X.

Now, Shirley didn't quite go so far as offering to produce Dazzle t-shirts, but I think you get the point...

Ad campaign basics: If choosing to use a "convert" in your ad campaign, it is essential to demonstrate the loyalty of the convert to their former brand to maximize the impact of their "conversion".

Ohho, I don't know about this Shirley mumbo jumbo. but I am glad you mentioned about the tshirt, because just the other day someone accused me of always being against the b2, when in fact, I even donated to their defense fund. I did waver for a short time, as berybert pointed out. But was firm in my belief after that. When I found out I was lied to by omission by the defense team, I saw red. Now I might make t shirts to campaign to keep them in there. That poor girl. Wouldn't upset me if they got some of their own medicine.

What about being lied to blatantly by the prosecution?

Oh island, it just gets worse.

Now they were looking for not only Wp shoe (s) but also the guitar and now mm shirt as well, because he took wp shirt because he was cold. So mm took off his own shirt. Left it somewhere? ??

Put on wp shirt. So what did wp wear back to the room? ?

And then there's the our clothes were stolen thing. It still comes back to. ...

Why did they leave the shoes and t shirt behind ?!

And since you are so knowledgeable island, was the guitar left at the bar, or at the beach? ???

Although the phone is the jaw dropper for me. All this other shenanigans beggars belief also.

The 1st defendant may well be innocent. I don't have an opinion on the 1st defendant.

Lol. bless island lover.

Still those burmese names just keep popping up don't they.

It's a pity you can't spell them properly.

Who knows how they spelled.

Everytime I read the paper there is a different name or different spelling.

Of the 5 that were arrested 2 of them have the name Zaw Lin. Then someone is win and now you tell me there are 2 Muang Muangs .I don't even know who is who anymore.

Which is why I refer to them as 1st and 2nd defendant.

Now I will need to mm ac bar and mm AC2 bar. Lol

greenchair, on 26 Jan 2016 - 03:20, said:

I would just be very interested to know what clothes the b2 wore back to their room?

What clothes were allegedly stolen.

What they allegedly went back for?

So far it is mm tshirt, the guitar.

Wp shoes.

And where did they leave these things? ?

WP swapped shirts with MM. That means that WP was actually wearing MM's AC2 bar shirt. WP took off his shoes (plural) and MMs shirt to go for a swim. When WP came out of the water these items were missing, as was the guitar which had been left on the terrace of the AC2 bar. WP went back to MM's room behind the AC2 bar in his wet trousers, minus the shirt and the shoes. ZL went swimming in his t-shirt and trousers (shoes not mentioned) and went back to MM's room in his wet clothes. The B2 went swimming in front of the Maya Beach Club which is next door, or very near to the AC2 bar (and some distance away from the AC bar where Hannah and David were last seen alive). The shoes and t-shirt were left on the beach in front of the Maya Beach Club. The Maya Beach club where the B2 went swimming is approximately 65-70 meters from the end of Sairee beach where the bodies were found. MM's t-shirt was never found and the shoes have never been mentioned since. Only the guitar was found, allegedly in the AC2 bar by a relative of Mon's. All this is in accordance with court testimony.

bannork, on 22 Jan 2016 - 14:47, said:bannork, on 22 Jan 2016 - 14:47, said:

Does anyone in the public realm have access to the UK autopsy report on Hannah? I remember reading there was no apparent sign of rape, ie tears but nothing about the DNA. In fact I thought the report was going to be released to the public this month.

What happened?

Just to be clear, the UK autopsy report said there was no sign of anal rape. A further discrepancy was that there was no sign of bite marks on the female victim, as the Thais had claimed. As the bodies had been partially embalmed (whatever partially embalmed means) the UK pathologists were unable to extract any identifiable DNA from the orifices of the female victim. These are extracts from the UK autopsy report that were discussed in court. The full UK autopsy report will never be made public, but there will be a coroner's inquest (date pending) during which the autopsy report may be discussed.

bannork, on 22 Jan 2016 - 12:32, said:

The roti translator is from Yangon so he obviously speaks Myanmar, the Burmese suspects are Buddhists from Rakhine, as Myanmar is the language used in state schools they surely would have understood each other unless the suspects didn't go to school or lived in a remote area.

But one thing suspicious in the interview is at approx 3 mins or perhaps a little before when you can see the translator acknowledge the presence of someone off camera with a flick of his eyes and a slight nod of the head, and after the interview Channel 3 announced during the course of the interview a plain clothes policeman came and stood nearby.

The pancake man who gave the interview with Channel 3 is an ethnic Bangladeshi Rohingya Muslim. There were two translators used by the RTP, him and Ko Ye. I think it was Ko Ye who was revealed in court to be practically illiterate.

Archived