Ubon Airport Parking

jcb2001

I was just at the Ubon Airport and boy, was I surprised! Completely rebuilt after the fire. Looks a lot better now. But:

The parking is out of control. It has become ridiculous. It appears with all the new flights, (Kan Air, Thai Lion, etc) and all the rental cars taking up the parking in the north lot, finding a parking spot has become almost impossible. Has anyone heard if there are any plans to expand the parking? I can't imagine that there is any more land to work with. Several years ago, rumors were of AOT looking for a new airport just outside of Ubon. Has the current airport outgrown itself?

The car hire companies were using the northern end of the main car park across the approach road from the car hire desks in the terminal the last time we were there. There used to be a car park just beyond the terminal that we always used, but that was being used in connection with the building works. Has that re-opened?

Plenty of parking at the northern end on scrubland. Thais hate walking so you can always get a place to park IME, including a couple of park ups since the terminal was reopened. Takes maybe 3 or 4 minutes to get to check in.

• 3 months later...

I don't know if they keep track of vehicles or not. You could probably leave your car there a year and nobody would notice... Don't quote me on that when you get towed though. :)

Tons of parking on the far end past the terminal like santisuk said. I don't even bother looking in the paved lots. I can park and be in the airport for half an hour by the time some people find a spot close.

I've parked there for a week on several occasions, though the last time would have been about 9 months ago. 'They don't like you parking there overnight' is BS. I'm calling out your wife on this one. What she means is she doesn't want you parking there overnight (if she is anything like mine)! Probably worried your car will be stolen, damaged or just sat out in the heat too long. If you are not worried about your car in the same way a Thai is just do it. Of course now it'll be a big issue for you with her - mistake to askrolleyes.gif

If it's all changed and they are serious about not liking you park there then let them get off their proverbial and put a proper system of paid parking in. I would welcome that.

I noticed in recent weeks that the parking lot is pretty cleared up now. No more need to circle to find the lot to find a spot ( I also just used to go through to the dirt parking lot...easier and quicker to find parking ) and also no double parking. They really are doing a crackdown on long term parkers.

I took a picture of a sign they had posted by the parking lot ( several of the signs )

post-183512-14610546176595_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure if this rule applies to the dirt parking lot further towards the back.

The restricted notice refers to A-I. On a hunch that this refers to rows A to I = 9 rows, I checked Google Earth. There are clearly 9 lanes with parking on both sides in the hard-standing area.

QED - it wouldn't make sense to restrict the whole airport to one hour parking anyway. Maybe a maximum of 200 cars would be waiting for 4 to 6 incoming/outgoing flights that would be imminent within the busiest one hour period of the day. Why screw up everyone else who is on a day trip to Bangkok (or longer). That land is never fully utilised. There may of course come a time when the airport authority decide it is worth installing a paid parking system.

Betcha that the scrub-land lot does not have those notices up and are still free and of unlimited duration. Betcha the car rental companies have done a deal to keep their cars on the hard-standing rows without a time restriction! Betcha the Thais ignore the restrictions anyway laugh.png

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned after a 3 week trip, left my pickup parked at Ubon airport for 3 weeks in the overnight area. Pretty nervous to leave it that long but had no problems. Large sign indicates the overnight parking area now, pretty obvious where to go.

Archived