Horrible cell phone reception in Onnut area

impartialobserver

A couple weeks ago, I was staying near Onnut BTS for a few days and I was getting 2-3 bars on my True SIM card; my friend's AIS was also getting 2-3 bars, and on both we were getting either 2G internet or nothing at all.

Was this just bad timing or is cell phone reception really bad in that area? When I went to Asok/Phrom Pong I got full bars and 4G connectivity no problem.

I have a condo on Sukhumvit not far from the BTS OnNut station. I use it for the odd weekend, so I can't give you a comprehensive answer for all OnNut, but inside (lobby, pool and 25th floor and in the immediate surrounds) and walking around in the immediate area the signal is hopeless on AIG (me) and DTAC (wife).

Thai wife is a good guide - if she says it's "nar-klee-ut" (horrible) around our condo then yes, maybe there are similar issues elsewhere and there will no doubt be areas you can pick up a strong signal, but I would avoid using a hotel in that area if reception is important to you (like most Thai ladies she's an expert!). I'll check signal strength around Bedrooms, Immfusion and Best Western when I go walkies next week and publish a retraction if that's warranted.

Edited by SantiSuk

Assuming you're not Thai, what are you doing living in the On Nut area? That's not an area suitable for foreigners. Even a lot of the Thais who live there don't have mobile phones.

There are so many condos around On Nut BTS area both along Sukhumvit road and Soi Sukhumvit 77 (On Nut road).

Assuming you're not Thai, what are you doing living in the On Nut area? That's not an area suitable for foreigners. Even a lot of the Thais who live there don't have mobile phones.

I know loads of foreigners who live in the area. What exactly is so unsuitable about it. It's a little boring perhaps, but other than that?

No shortage of weak to even almost no reception areas in Bangkok. The fantastic 3G/4G coverage, signal strength, and speed advertised by carriers is no where near the fantastic level in most areas...but in some areas I'm sure it does approach fantastic.

What nonsense.

I live in On Nuch and there are many foreigners here.

But I agree Cellphone reception is very poor (using AIS in my case).

Patrick