Bangkok Taxis

billphillips

After finishing some business in Bangkok too late to get a flight back home, I found myself sitting in a well known German style bar, opposite my hotel, in Sukhumvit soy 11. Sipping my pleasant but overpriced brew and in an attempt to politely ignore the pretty young hostess hovering by my right shoulder, I turned my attention to the traffic on the congested road directly in front of me. It was difficult not to notice the traffic actually. A clump of waiting taxis waiting outside my hotel were causing unmitigated mayhem. The over congested soy was reduced to a virtual crawl by the resulting reduced road width.

After a few minutes watching it soon became apparent that something like 90% or more of the traffic was in fact taxis, mostly without passengers. A few more minutes confirmed that most (2 Toyota Prius) of the taxis were later model Toyota Altis and less than two years old. I was intrigued by this and then started to notice that most of the taxis had aftermarket accessories attached. Some of the ones that didn't have windows blacked out to extreme, proudly displayed brightly coloured seat covers. Others had chrome bits attached around door handles etc. All quite sensible and low cost attempts to extend the life and appearance of paint and trim. Some of the things that weren't quite so sensible were the spoiler and skirts that were displayed. Likewise that a large % were not the base model Altis, far from it actually. The most noticeable item though, without exception, was the wheels. I watched hundreds of magnesium alloy wheels rolling along in front of me, hardly a steel rim went by.

Much has been written during the past year regarding taxis, fares, increasing costs and hardships etc. Why would a poor, hardworking, impoverished and starving taxi driver choose to invest so much cash in an unnecessary car fashion accessory and / or anything other than a base model car? Am I missing something?

What makes you think........

"poor, hardworking, impoverished and starving taxi driver choose to invest so much cash in an unnecessary car fashion accessory and / or anything other than a base model car? Am I missing something?"

Actually they make GREAT money driving taxis by Thai standards

Edited by beachproperty

Maybe they're going to attract more fares by making their taxi look a little flashier?

No, its a metered taxi. I would say just more chance of being flagged down.

I know it's a metered taxi. I said more fares, not higher fares.

How would it attract more fair precisely.

Maybe they're going to attract more fares by making their taxi look a little flashier?

No, its a metered taxi. I would say just more chance of being flagged down.

I know it's a metered taxi. I said more fares, not higher fares.

How would it attract more fair precisely.

By making passengers choose their taxi rather than less-adorned rivals.

I doubt it works, but that may be the thinking involved.

Pity your meeting didn't finish early enough for you to catch your flight home.

Yea! Your right on more than one count with that. You obviously have a quick mind, some form of relative comment towards the OP may have been more appropriate or even ignoring it completely as you seem to find the subject boring ... Still, it's way more interesting than anything that you've posted though.

I think the reason that the taxis have so much aftermarket stuff on them is because the owners have money to burn. One of the taxis that was parked outside the hotel the previous night was back there again as we left to go to DMK the next morning. He wanted 2000 baht for the trip. My wife stopped a taxi on the road, on the meter the rate was 435 baht. Pure greed.

I think the drivers get the same cars every day and like to fix them up to look cool. Some own their own cars but get the license from a taxi company.

The problem with taxis around Sukhumvit Soi 11 and other places is that they don't want to use the meter. They sit and block the street waiting for a sucker. They should have rules about taxis waiting on the street. Keep moving !!!

Edited by ttthailand

Pity your meeting didn't finish early enough for you to catch your flight home.

Yea! Your right on more than one count with that. You obviously have a quick mind, some form of relative comment towards the OP may have been more appropriate or even ignoring it completely as you seem to find the subject boring ... Still, it's way more interesting than anything that you've posted though.

I think the reason that the taxis have so much aftermarket stuff on them is because the owners have money to burn. One of the taxis that was parked outside the hotel the previous night was back there again as we left to go to DMK the next morning. He wanted 2000 baht for the trip. My wife stopped a taxi on the road, on the meter the rate was 435 baht. Pure greed.

"Still, it's way more interesting than anything that you've posted though."

Wow, thanks for that. I consider it an enormous compliment that you've read every one of my posts.

Oh, a relative comment requested ...... tongue.png

"A few more minutes confirmed that most (2 Toyota Prius) of the taxis were later model Toyota Altis and less than two years old. I was intrigued by this and then started to notice that most of the taxis had aftermarket accessories attached. Some of the ones that didn't have windows blacked out to extreme, proudly displayed brightly coloured seat covers. Others had chrome bits attached around door handles etc. All quite sensible and low cost attempts to extend the life and appearance of paint and trim. Some of the things that weren't quite so sensible were the spoiler and skirts that were displayed. Likewise that a large % were not the base model Altis, far from it actually. The most noticeable item though, without exception, was the wheels. I watched hundreds of magnesium alloy wheels rolling along in front of me, hardly a steel rim went by."

Why would you be intrigued by seeing taxis less than 2 years old, do you think that Bangkok taxis should all be old bangers? Even what are now old wrecks started life as brand new cars.

"Some of the ones that didn't have windows blacked out to extreme..." . "I watched hundreds of magnesium alloy wheels..."

If you saw any taxis with blacked out windows they weren't taxis. Taxis are not allowed by law to have tints so you didn't see any blacked out taxis. (At this point some are going to jump in with shouty "I've seen hundreds of them" comments but unless links to photos of blacked out windows on real taxis are available, don't bother).

It is highly unlikely that you saw any magnesium alloys either, never mind hundreds. What you did see were probably standard Toyota alloy wheels that are a OEM fitment, steel wheels are not available on current Corollas.

So you really hardly saw anything extravagant at all.

"A few more minutes confirmed that most (2 Toyota Prius) of the taxis were later model Toyota Altis and less than two years old. I was intrigued by this and then started to notice that most of the taxis had aftermarket accessories attached. Some of the ones that didn't have windows blacked out to extreme, proudly displayed brightly coloured seat covers. Others had chrome bits attached around door handles etc. All quite sensible and low cost attempts to extend the life and appearance of paint and trim. Some of the things that weren't quite so sensible were the spoiler and skirts that were displayed. Likewise that a large % were not the base model Altis, far from it actually. The most noticeable item though, without exception, was the wheels. I watched hundreds of magnesium alloy wheels rolling along in front of me, hardly a steel rim went by."

Why would you be intrigued by seeing taxis less than 2 years old, do you think that Bangkok taxis should all be old bangers? Even what are now old wrecks started life as brand new cars.

"Some of the ones that didn't have windows blacked out to extreme..." . "I watched hundreds of magnesium alloy wheels..."

If you saw any taxis with blacked out windows they weren't taxis. Taxis are not allowed by law to have tints so you didn't see any blacked out taxis. (At this point some are going to jump in with shouty "I've seen hundreds of them" comments but unless links to photos of blacked out windows on real taxis are available, don't bother).

It is highly unlikely that you saw any magnesium alloys either, never mind hundreds. What you did see were probably standard Toyota alloy wheels that are a OEM fitment, steel wheels are not available on current Corollas.

"So you really hardly saw anything extravagant at all."

Ah ! but he was intrigued at seeing so many magnesium wheels roll by. I would have been extremely intrigued to see such a sight. So many wheels just rolling down the road, I wonder if they were attached to a taxi.

As requested by Mr ... ermm .. anyway; real taxis with real tints (it's against the law 5555 55555). And yes Iv seen hundreds, as have most people but perhaps it's a trick of the light or camera for you.post-223871-14517261252131_thumb.jpg

post-223871-14517261606284_thumb.jpg

No magnesium wheels? Really, we tend to call them "alloys", Thais tend to call them "mags". Both part right but the alloy we speak of refers to the fact that they are a mixture of metals, hence magnesium alloy wheels is the correct term, magnesium being the main component.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alloy_wheel

If an Altis leaves the factory with magnesium alloy wheels it's even more of a mystery why the (presumably) owners fit aftermarket replacements. Thanks for pointing that out. The mystery deepens.

And yes I was surprised to see (1) so many newish cars, and (2) so many driving around without passengers, and (3) virtually all of them modified, and (4) to see any angry posts here about a mundane subject. Thanks!

Edited by billphillips

As requested by Mr ... ermm .. anyway; real taxis with real tints (it's against the law 5555 55555). And yes Iv seen hundreds, as have most people but perhaps it's a trick of the light or camera for you.attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1451726124.380366.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1451726159.710016.jpg

No magnesium wheels? Really, we tend to call them "alloys", Thais tend to call them "mags". Both part right but the alloy we speak of refers to the fact that they are a mixture of metals, hence magnesium alloy wheels is the correct term, magnesium being the main component.

If an Altis leaves the factory with magnesium alloy wheels it's even more of a mystery why the (presumably) owners fit aftermarket replacements. Thanks for pointing that out. The mystery deepens.

And yes I was surprised to see (1) so many newish cars, and (2) so many driving around without passengers, and (3) virtually all of them modified, and (4) to see any angry posts here about a mundane subject. Thanks!

No, it's a trick of the light for you, none of those pics showed blacked out tinted windows, to quote you, 5555 55555. They showed taxis photographed from a distance, some straight on towards the windscreen not demonstrating blacked out windscreens or any other windows and one through which the road on the far side of the taxi is visible through the windscreen and the driver's side window together. So, no, you have not seen hundreds of Bangkok taxis with blacked out windows, I doubt that you have even seen a single one. (Maybe your were viewing the taxis through the coloured glass of your beer bottle?)

There are not many things automotive that do adhere strictly to the laws in Bangkok but the prohibition of black-out tints on taxis is one area that does. And bearing in mind that taxis drivers need visual contact with prospective fares, and vice versa, it would be a complete nonsense to black out the windows anyway.

As magnesium is not now the main constituent material of alloys wheels, for reasons pointed out in your own link, the correct term is "alloy wheel" not "magnesium alloy wheel". The "mystery", as you describe it, remains remarkably depth-free, Corollas do not leave the factory with magnesium alloys at all, they're not even an option, never have been and never will be.

There is still no reason for you to be surprised to see new taxis, if there weren't any new taxis we'd all still be hailing the original ones that hit the roads 50 years ago.

One reason that so many taxis are unoccupied is an oversupply, there are something in excess of 80,000 metered taxis registered in Bangkok thanks to Thaksin's deregulating the the numbers some years ago.

There aren't any angry posts about your admittedly mundane but imaginative thread, only reasonable observations about what you posted.

Thai people do mad things to cars here, not just taxi`s, what they think looks cool can be way over the top to us... I am doing up my car/modding it at the moment but I like to think tastefully... some of the mods you see on cars in Thailand are just wierd and way out, nevermind the stickers you see on them which are often very bizarre

I always tell people new to Thailand, when flagging down a taxi wait for a new model even if it means skipping a few, keep away from the clapped out toyotas etc which are falling apart, I have found usually the older cars are not safe and the drivers often more crazy... you do get the odd old driver with an old car who keeps it in good condition despite its age but still cars have moved on alot in regards to safety.

The newer models are obviously safer in an accident and I think the drivers take better care/drive safer or atleast do not want to crash a new car even though as a poster said above I think the majority of them are rented.

What I find mad is the trucks you see on the roads with loud back boxes (exhuasts), as if they think its cool to have an old truck sounding like some sort of tank... anyway central London is simular, in the way if you was to sit and count the black cabs go by youd be suprised... Thailand is Thailand, as mad as it is we all love it!

Some Thai people actually take pride in their things.

Is there a problem with that?

Also, if you want to ride in a piece of C, call Uber Bangkok.

That's really not true. I've used Uber dozens and dozens of times, and even the cheaper UberX option is pretty much guaranteed to be a virtually brand new car with such unheard of luxuries as seat belts and working shock absorbers that taxi users can only dream of.

Some Thai people actually take pride in their things.

Is there a problem with that?

Also, if you want to ride in a piece of C, call Uber Bangkok.

That's really not true. I've used Uber dozens and dozens of times, and even the cheaper UberX option is pretty much guaranteed to be a virtually brand new car with such unheard of luxuries as seat belts and working shock absorbers that taxi users can only dream of.

It was true for me.

Also, how long did you wait?

They seem to have no idea where they are going. Usually the Taxi drivers do.

UBER=1000 to the airport and 3000 to Pattaya. About 3 times the Taxi price for a smelly ride.

No thanks.

But I guess this is for another topic.

I waited a few minutes. They know exactly where they need to go, because they have the navigation provided by the Uber app to tell them where to go - another advantage over the taxis.

Yes, they're expensive to the airport because they charge a flat airport rate, but UberX is cheaper than a taxi around town.

But I think this is just luddite trolling, so maybe we should leave it there.

As requested by Mr ... ermm .. anyway; real taxis with real tints (it's against the law 5555 55555). And yes Iv seen hundreds, as have most people but perhaps it's a trick of the light or camera for you.attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1451726124.380366.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1451726159.710016.jpg

"Both part right but the alloy we speak of refers to the fact that they are a mixture of metals, hence magnesium alloy wheels is the correct term, magnesium being the main component."

Bill, ol mate, buddy, pal. I'm sure you are an expert in your chosen field, but me thinks automotive in general, & wheels & tires specifically, isn't your expertise.

Irrespective of what you think you may have read on Wikipedia, magnesium has not been the main component in wheel construction for at least a few decades. If any wheel manufacturer today still uses magnesium in construction, and that is unlikely, the amount would be minimal.

Way back in the 70's.. 80's & 90' "Mags" was a common reference for alloy wheels. Today, "Alloys" is pretty much the accepted term for sports, after market wheels.

As stated by a previous poster, Corollas leave the factory with "Alloys" as standard equipment. There is NO mystery. The owners, drivers, of many new vehicles DO NOT replace the factory wheels..... well, maybe the odd person might, but not likely. I have little doubt what you saw were taxis with standard factory wheels.

It would appear you have little knowledge, understanding, of automotive wheel construction & terminology. If you disagree with my comments, why not post a question related to the subject in the TV motoring forum ? Just a thought.

Cheers..... Mal.

I too looked for a taxi near Suk soi 11 last week. It was about 11.30 pm. A helpful Thai waiter from the club I was vacating tried to hail one for me. He was turned down four times before he secured me a ride. Don't try hailing a cab on soi 4 - it's a waste of life.