More than 20 Phuket bus drivers arrested for drug use

rooster59

Phuket is the place of mafia, extortion, thief's, cheats & scammers ...... why would anyone want to be in an environment associated with such scum ...... coffee1.gif

Probably because they prefer it to Koh Tao or Pattaya, which could also probably be tarred with the same brush!

Phuket is the place of mafia, extortion, thief's, cheats & scammers ...... why would anyone want to be in an environment associated with such scum ...... coffee1.gif

Don't forget Washington D.C. , USA. but their called Lobbyist, Politicians, Realtor's, Taxi drivers if they speak English and Oh! Yea! Obamacare.

This story has nil to do with the US. It's purely about Phuket so keep your politics to yourself for now.

Sorry but having traces of drugs in the blood doesn't equate to them being high on drugs, or even impaired by them. I mean somebody can very easily spike somebody's drink with a drug, and they'd feel fine a couple of days later but still fail the test.

Admittedly it doesn't inspire confidence that they're testing positive for illegal drugs, but I think the more pressing issue is addressing their driving skills and attitudes. Those who drive bigger vehicles here seem to see that as carte blanche to bully smaller vehicles out of their as and when is convenient for them to do so.

But if anything this story is a positive as those drivers will likely have something to think about now & the passengers will be (i'd hope) driven by potentially a more sensible driver for the remainder of the journey

Sorry :- but having ANY trace of drugs must be a no no. Would you get in a bus knowing that the driver was a Yaa Baa user???

Thailand needs to bring in strict driver hours laws and these bus drivers who tested positive banned for life

The bus companies should be heavily fined and have the buses impounded. That would make them take better care.

Unfortunately the company owners are buddies with or actually are the ones to legislate/enforce heavy penalties, so it just wont happen.

Now wonder what would happen if they test randomly all bus drivers all over Thailand

If they take away the buses from drivers who are high or drunk I doubt there would be a single bus on the roads.

They got arrested,now what happens 500 Baht fine and back to driving buses?

That banal, hackneyed "500 baht fine and back to normal" comment looks a bit daft considering the report said that those caught got a 30 day licence suspension, 10,000 baht fine and compulsory attendance to a rehabilitation course.

yes i know that now, i didn't read the full report. 10,000 Baht is a lot of money for a bus driver but a 30 day licence suspension is weak, he will be back driving buses again,probably before the suspension has finished

Where did they find 24 sober/drug free replacement drivers at New Years for the stranded customers at the checkpoint?

Well done but a pity this will end after "The Seven Days of Death".

Exactly - makes you think what the stranded passenegers thought and how long did it delay their journey to their destination ??

Authorities not supplying any details about thst problem ...

If these bus drivers got the job over other applicants for the position, I'd hate to think what the "B Grade" drivers who will take their place are going to be like.

They got arrested,now what happens 500 Baht fine and back to driving buses?

That banal, hackneyed "500 baht fine and back to normal" comment looks a bit daft considering the report said that those caught got a 30 day licence suspension, 10,000 baht fine and compulsory attendance to a rehabilitation course.

Quite right. Don't exaggerate. We all know that a 500 baht fine and an apology is only appropriate for minor infringements of protocol such as stabbing or beating someone half to death in a puerile rage.

Where did they find 24 sober/drug free replacement drivers at New Years for the stranded customers at the checkpoint?

Well done but a pity this will end after "The Seven Days of Death".

Exactly - makes you think what the stranded passenegers thought and how long did it delay their journey to their destination ??

Authorities not supplying any details about thst problem ...

Who actually cares what the stranded passengers thought?!!!

They should be pleased that their lives were no longer being risked by driver who was either under the influence of or coming down from speed.

Typical TV armchair experts. If the police do nothing you berate and bemoan that they aren't doing anything. Then, when they do, it's out with lame criticisms like this.

Some people...........................

Sorry but having traces of drugs in the blood doesn't equate to them being high on drugs, or even impaired by them. I mean somebody can very easily spike somebody's drink with a drug, and they'd feel fine a couple of days later but still fail the test.

Admittedly it doesn't inspire confidence that they're testing positive for illegal drugs, but I think the more pressing issue is addressing their driving skills and attitudes. Those who drive bigger vehicles here seem to see that as carte blanche to bully smaller vehicles out of their as and when is convenient for them to do so.

But if anything this story is a positive as those drivers will likely have something to think about now & the passengers will be (i'd hope) driven by potentially a more sensible driver for the remainder of the journey

" somebody can very easily spike somebody's drink with a drug "

so according to your theory 20 bus drivers have their drinks spikedgiggle.gif

" the more pressing issue is addressing their driving skills and attitudes "

wouldn't you say their driving skills and attitudes would be directly affected by taking drugs?blink.png

No, in a word. You obviously know very little about the effects of drugs.

If you take a yaba pill on a friday night and only start working again on a monday morning there is a chance you will fail the test.

But there is no chance you will still be impaired from the pill itself. Come on mate use your brain

Are you insane? These mongrels are driving hire and reward vehicles. They are driving paying public. They should not have any 'traces' of drugs or alcohol in their blood. We read on a daily basis about these min-van drivers rolling or crashing their vans and you jump to their defence.

Of course their driving skills need to be addressed but being drug free would be a great starting point

Of course drivers of larger vehicles who think 'might is right' need to be taken to task - drug testing would be a great starting place for that too - but because they need assesment does not make it any more appropriate for van drivers to use drugs.

I wonder what excuse you will come up with when you're pulled and have drug traces in your body because if you're supporting these idiots, it's an easy assumption to make that you drive among them in the same state.

There is an enormous difference between traces of drugs and under the influence of drugs. Your comment shows an inability or unwillingness to understand that.

I am not supporting these people. Am merely pointing out how a positive drug test without any additional sobriety testing really proves nothing at all, although it MAY explain why they drive so aggressively / recklessly