Inquiry: UK soldiers who fought in Iraq may face prosecution

rooster59

Seastallion, on 08 Jan 2016 - 18:57, said:Seastallion, on 08 Jan 2016 - 18:57, said:
SgtRock, on 08 Jan 2016 - 18:01, said:SgtRock, on 08 Jan 2016 - 18:01, said:

There you go again. You just cannot help yourself.

Please provide proof that any woman or children were wantonly killed by members of the UK Armed Forces.

Please keep up. Please try to comprehend what this thread is about. It's about allegations, and, quite frankly, some of them would be quite credible allegations. Do you really think no Brit grunt ever committed a war crime?

I'll give you a piece of advice before you bury yourself any deeper....proving that no crimes were committed is going to be a harder job than proving some were committed.

Pick your battles, Sarge. It's good war advice.

Yes, its about allegations. An inquiry that has so far cost £ 31 Million has seen no one charged, let alone convicted of murder. Here is an allegation that will flutter your heart. So far, over 200 Muslims in the UK have been convicted of sexual abuse of youngsters over the last 3 years. So it must be fair to allege that every Muslim in the UK is a paedophile. Fair comparison ? Or how about another in vogue comparison. Is every legal gun owner in the US a mass murderer ?

Therein lies the problem. I highlighted the relevant posts earlier. You are claiming that UK Soldiers have committed murder, killed babies and committed all sorts of crimes. A 5 year investigation has turned up nothing. It only hit the news again in January because its £ 5 million a year from public funds is being cut off. The gravy train is skidding to a halt.

Your advice is flawed. You have that exactly the wrong way round. IF, any crimes have been committed, the wall of silence will be deafening. That might be why £ 31 Million has so far produced 1 conviction for a £ 3000 fine. It certainly has not produced any murderers or baby killers, contrary to your constant procrastinations.

Now, if you manage to get a name for someone who gets convicted for murder. Feel free to name and shame him and I will join you in condemning that individual. To claim that Soldiers of the British Army are murders and child killers, with absolutely nothing to back it up, quite frankly, makes you look rather foolish.

Pick my battles ? Why, what would you know about it ? Have you ever been in battle ?

cheesy.gif

I think I'll withdraw from this pointless discussion as your posts show a sad lack of comprehension. I guess the old adage that sergeants never get commissions because sergeants are sergeants and do what sergeants do, is true. You're just going around in circles, ignoring your own information and zeroing in on imagined things. You're also drawing ridiculous and illogical comparisons with Muslims and gun nuts. It's really quite amusing.

You don't get it, and you won't, plainly.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seastallion, on 09 Jan 2016 - 04:39, said:
SgtRock, on 08 Jan 2016 - 19:26, said:
Seastallion, on 08 Jan 2016 - 18:57, said:Seastallion, on 08 Jan 2016 - 18:57, said:Seastallion, on 08 Jan 2016 - 18:57, said:
SgtRock, on 08 Jan 2016 - 18:01, said:SgtRock, on 08 Jan 2016 - 18:01, said:SgtRock, on 08 Jan 2016 - 18:01, said:

There you go again. You just cannot help yourself.

Please provide proof that any woman or children were wantonly killed by members of the UK Armed Forces.

Please keep up. Please try to comprehend what this thread is about. It's about allegations, and, quite frankly, some of them would be quite credible allegations. Do you really think no Brit grunt ever committed a war crime?

I'll give you a piece of advice before you bury yourself any deeper....proving that no crimes were committed is going to be a harder job than proving some were committed.

Pick your battles, Sarge. It's good war advice.

Yes, its about allegations. An inquiry that has so far cost £ 31 Million has seen no one charged, let alone convicted of murder. Here is an allegation that will flutter your heart. So far, over 200 Muslims in the UK have been convicted of sexual abuse of youngsters over the last 3 years. So it must be fair to allege that every Muslim in the UK is a paedophile. Fair comparison ? Or how about another in vogue comparison. Is every legal gun owner in the US a mass murderer ?

Therein lies the problem. I highlighted the relevant posts earlier. You are claiming that UK Soldiers have committed murder, killed babies and committed all sorts of crimes. A 5 year investigation has turned up nothing. It only hit the news again in January because its £ 5 million a year from public funds is being cut off. The gravy train is skidding to a halt.

Your advice is flawed. You have that exactly the wrong way round. IF, any crimes have been committed, the wall of silence will be deafening. That might be why £ 31 Million has so far produced 1 conviction for a £ 3000 fine. It certainly has not produced any murderers or baby killers, contrary to your constant procrastinations.

Now, if you manage to get a name for someone who gets convicted for murder. Feel free to name and shame him and I will join you in condemning that individual. To claim that Soldiers of the British Army are murders and child killers, with absolutely nothing to back it up, quite frankly, makes you look rather foolish.

Pick my battles ? Why, what would you know about it ? Have you ever been in battle ?

cheesy.gif

I think I'll withdraw from this pointless discussion as your posts show a sad lack of comprehension. I guess the old adage that sergeants never get commissions because sergeants are sergeants and do what sergeants do, is true. You're just going around in circles, ignoring your own information and zeroing in on imagined things. You're also drawing ridiculous and illogical comparisons with Muslims and gun nuts. It's really quite amusing.

You don't get it, and you won't, plainly.

How bizarre that you find an '' ALLEGATION '' that does not fit your agenda is somehow ridiculous and illogical.

An ALLEGATION is an ALLEGATION regardless of what it refers to.

Whats a disgrace is that we send our boys off to fight 'to help' foreign countries,---sungod

Wow is that why they were sent........and to think some people were cynical enough to think it was all about Oil.............coffee1.gif

Well, I did use inverted commas, besides where are the oil fields in Afghan? smile.png

The article only refers to the Iraq War.

p.s. it's called "Afghanistan"

For those who have actually been there( unlike most contributing it seems on this thread) its known as 'Afghan'
Or the "ghan"

A quick update

Law firm Leigh Day has already been referred to the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal as a result of the failure to disclose a key document to the £31m Al-Sweady inquiry.

Once disciplinary proceedings have been completed against any firm, the defence secretary Michael Fallon has been ordered to prepare the ground for seeking to recover as much of the taxpayers’ money spent on the inquiry as possible

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jan/22/david-cameron-calls-for-action-on-spurious-claims-against-iraq-veterans

I would love to see their little Al - Sweaty faces when they have to pay back the £ 31Million.

Just 3 days after it was revealed that the Defence Secretary has been ordered to seek recovery of £ 31 Million of taxpayers money from the Law Firm Leigh Day.

IHAT have soiled their collective panties.

The Iraq historic allegations team (Ihat), set up by the last Labour government in 2010 to examine claims of murder, abuse and torture during the Iraq war, has decided not to proceed in 57 cases, the Ministry of Defence has confirmed. A further case was stopped by the military’s service prosecuting authority.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jan/24/officials-drop-58-inquiries-into-alleged-unlawful-killings-by-iraq-veterans

Just to remind everyone. So far this witch-hunt has cost £ 56 Million of taxpayers money for return of a £ 3000 fine.

Just 3 days after it was revealed that the Defence Secretary has been ordered to seek recovery of £ 31 Million of taxpayers money from the Law Firm Leigh Day.

The Iraq historic allegations team (Ihat), set up by the last Labour government in 2010 to examine claims of murder, abuse and torture during the Iraq war, has decided not to proceed in 57 cases, the Ministry of Defence has confirmed. A further case was stopped by the military’s service prosecuting authority.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jan/24/officials-drop-58-inquiries-into-alleged-unlawful-killings-by-iraq-veterans

Just to remind everyone. So far this witch-hunt has cost £ 56 Million of taxpayers money for return of a £ 3000 fine.

So now an investigation is a witch hunt? Isn't it good for everybody that an investigation is executed and results in no proven wrong doing?

stevenl, on 25 Jan 2016 - 11:04, said:
SgtRock, on 25 Jan 2016 - 08:35, said:

QuoteQuote

So now an investigation is a witch hunt? Isn't it good for everybody that an investigation is executed and results in no proven wrong doing?

Thank you for highlighting my glaringly obvious error.

It was totally remiss of me to mention witch hunt without also mentioning the bottom feeding scum of the legal profession, attempting to get fat of the t!t of the taxpayer cash cow.

If you have a better name than witch hunt, for something that has produced nothing over a 6 year period at a cost of £ 56 Million, lets hear it.

Of course, for the Liberal, hand wringing Lefties, a totally pointless, not to say unproductive investigation, will have a truly positive effect. It will have a negative effect on future recruitment to the British Army, which will be a fantastic achievement for those that have never served, expect others to protect them, and then cry like babies when that protection is no longer available.

stevenl, on 25 Jan 2016 - 11:04, said:
SgtRock, on 25 Jan 2016 - 08:35, said:

QuoteQuote

It was totally remiss of me to mention witch hunt without also mentioning the bottom feeding scum of the legal profession, attempting to get fat of the t!t of the taxpayer cash cow.

If you have a better name than witch hunt, for something that has produced nothing over a 6 year period at a cost of £ 56 Million, lets hear it.

Of course, for the Liberal, hand wringing Lefties, a totally pointless, not to say unproductive investigation, will have a truly positive effect. It will have a negative effect on future recruitment to the British Army, which will be a fantastic achievement for those that have never served, expect others to protect them, and then cry like babies when that protection is no longer available.

You seemingly prefer lingering doubts over clarity, I don't.

stevenl, on 25 Jan 2016 - 12:00, said:
SgtRock, on 25 Jan 2016 - 11:46, said:

I have no doubts over clarity.

I also have no doubts over what a £ 31 Million legal case, laughed out of court is. A witch hunt. Which is why the Defence Secretary has been tasked with recovering the public funding.

As you seem to think it was such a great idea. How about you stumping up the cost ?

They are not haters, they are merely mistaken. It's quite common among those who's fathers were too young to have done national service in UK & therefore didn't instill the same degree of discipline in the home as those who did. Add the fact that corporal punishment was outlawed from schools a few years later & 'whoompf' you're left with Russell Brand :)

Edited by evadgib

evadgib, on 25 Jan 2016 - 12:24, said:

They are not haters, they are merely mistaken. It's quite common among those who's fathers were too young to have done national service in UK & therefore didn't instill the same degree of discipline in the home as those who did. Add the fact that corporal punishment was outlawed from schools a few years later & 'whoompf' you're left with Russell Brand smile.png

If those posters were British I would agree with you. The most vocal are not British, therefore not applicable.

I have my suspicions, but not for print wink.pngwink.png

stevenl, on 25 Jan 2016 - 12:00, said:
SgtRock, on 25 Jan 2016 - 11:46, said:

I have no doubts over clarity.

I also have no doubts over what a £ 31 Million legal case, laughed out of court is. A witch hunt. Which is why the Defence Secretary has been tasked with recovering the public funding.

As you seem to think it was such a great idea. How about you stumping up the cost ?

"I have no doubts over clarity."

This had nothing to do with you, but with clarity to the general public. You may not care about that, others do.

Protection? Where? Maybe lower recruitment will finally demonstrated to what is now a third rate force that they should no longer be sticking their noses in other people's business.

British soldiers killing Iraqi people did absolutely nothing to protect British citizens.

Leave the services for the sociopaths who enjoy that life and can be restrained in their barracks under command of their betters.

The values statement of IHAT is https://www.gov.uk/government/groups/iraq-historic-allegations-team-ihat. All allegations of abuse in war must be investigated no matter the time and no matter the cost. Those officials who resist and do not cooperate should be likewise charged and prosecuted. The UK's obligations to the European Court of Human Rights may just well result in those puffed up, uniformed buffoons to reconsider their military adventurism in the name of an empire that ceased to exist generations ago. My rights and freedoms have in no way been protected by British militants killing Iraqis. The wall you stand only exists in your imagination.

Edited by lostboy

stevenl, on 25 Jan 2016 - 14:00, said:
SgtRock, on 25 Jan 2016 - 13:54, said:

Still nothing relevant to say ? Your opinion is irrelevant.

You want a 50 / 50 ? How about phone a friend ?

Here it is again, just for you.

QuoteQuoteQuote

The Iraq historic allegations team (Ihat), set up by the last Labour government in 2010 to examine claims of murder, abuse and torture during the Iraq war, has decided not to proceed in 57 cases, the Ministry of Defence has confirmed. A further case was stopped by the military’s service prosecuting authority

From your link "Mercer pointed out that the government has paid out £20m for 326 cases. “Anyone who has fought the MoD knows they don’t pay out for nothing. So there are 326 substantiated claims at a cost of £20m, and almost no criminal proceedings to accompany it."

So that leads to 58 cases dropped, 326 paid out and therefor guilty of wrongdoing?

Corrected your quotes BTW. Just press that function and don't change anything in the text, much easier to get correct quotes that way.

And you have no idea what that compensation was paid out for. Munitions from aircraft cause a lot of collateral damage.

Try a bit of lateral thinking.

Still nothing relevant to say ? Your opinion is irrelevant.

You want a 50 / 50 ? How about phone a friend ?

Here it is again, just for you.

QuoteQuoteQuote

The Iraq historic allegations team (Ihat), set up by the last Labour government in 2010 to examine claims of murder, abuse and torture during the Iraq war, has decided not to proceed in 57 cases, the Ministry of Defence has confirmed. A further case was stopped by the military’s service prosecuting authority

From your link "Mercer pointed out that the government has paid out £20m for 326 cases. “Anyone who has fought the MoD knows they don’t pay out for nothing. So there are 326 substantiated claims at a cost of £20m, and almost no criminal proceedings to accompany it."

So that leads to 58 cases dropped, 326 paid out and therefor guilty of wrongdoing?

Corrected your quotes BTW. Just press that function and don't change anything in the text, much easier to get correct quotes that way.

And you have no idea what that compensation was paid out for. Munitions from aircraft cause a lot of collateral damage.

Which is why these things are being investigated, rightfully so.

And again corrected your quotes.

Edited by stevenl

stevenl, on 25 Jan 2016 - 14:26, said:stevenl, on 25 Jan 2016 - 14:26, said:
SgtRock, on 25 Jan 2016 - 14:13, said:SgtRock, on 25 Jan 2016 - 14:13, said:
stevenl, on 25 Jan 2016 - 14:00, said:stevenl, on 25 Jan 2016 - 14:00, said:

You are conflating 2 different issues.

This thread is about investigations into alleged crimes that British Soldiers may have committed. Which is falling apart at the seams.

The compensation that has been paid out by the UK Government may not have anything to do with the actual thread.

Unless of course, you can provide information to the contrary.

stevenl, on 25 Jan 2016 - 14:26, said:stevenl, on 25 Jan 2016 - 14:26, said:
SgtRock, on 25 Jan 2016 - 14:13, said:SgtRock, on 25 Jan 2016 - 14:13, said:
stevenl, on 25 Jan 2016 - 14:00, said:stevenl, on 25 Jan 2016 - 14:00, said:

This thread is about investigations into alleged crimes that British Soldiers may have committed. Which is falling apart at the seams.

The compensation that has been paid out by the UK Government may not have anything to do with the actual thread.

It is the same issue. Your own link says that IHAT is investigating 1,500 cases. There is nothing there about that obscenity that you refer to as 'collateral damage'. You are the one saying all investigation of allegations is wrong. Why do you have no answer to the GBP20million compensation payouts?

You can't actually order readers to just read the first few paragraphs of an article you know.

I asked you a question, you pretend to answer it and then you come back to it saying it has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

There really is no point in any form of discussion that way.

There is an investigation into alleged crimes committed by soldiers. If there is doubt about their behaviour, this should be investigated, with hopefully the outcome that they acted in a proper way as we all expected them to act

stevenl, on 25 Jan 2016 - 14:43, said:
SgtRock, on 25 Jan 2016 - 14:32, said:

I asked you a question, you pretend to answer it and then you come back to it saying it has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

There is an investigation into alleged crimes committed by soldiers. If there is doubt about their behaviour, this should be investigated, with hopefully the outcome that they acted in a proper way as we all expected them to act

Do you have any proof that the £ 20 Million paid out in compensation by the UK Government has anything to do with the thread ?

No you do not. So it is irrelevant to the ongoing enquiry that is falling apart by the day.

stevenl, on 25 Jan 2016 - 14:43, said:
SgtRock, on 25 Jan 2016 - 14:32, said:

Do you have any proof that the £ 20 Million paid out in compensation by the UK Government has anything to do with the thread ?

No you do not. So it is irrelevant to the ongoing enquiry that is falling apart by the day.

Your reasoning is that of a 5 year old child. You're missing a few steps before you can reasonably come to any conclusion.

Edited by stevenl

Here is the paragraph that you are both reticent to post.

Mercer pointed out that the government has paid out £20m for 326 cases. “Anyone who has fought the MoD knows they don’t pay out for nothing. So there are 326 substantiated claims at a cost of £20m, and almost no criminal proceedings to accompany it. You have to ask why,” he told the BBC.

No mention that any of these compo cases relate to actions by British Soldiers.

Almost no criminal proceedings to accompany it he said. He is a legal eagle, not a Military man. Even he must know that it is impossible to bring legal action against a munition fired from an unidentified aircraft.

Anyway, nice to see that both of you are busy condemning like demons on all the other threads that are currently running that pertain to Islamic extremism.

So you claim it came from an unidentified aircraft. Substantiate please.

You link to a newspaper and don't understand the information provided, nice one.

And no, both of us are not 'busy condemning ...'. Off topic and not true.

I already posted that quote BTW. There really is no point in a discussion with you, I'm out of here.

Edited by stevenl

• 2 weeks later...

Just for sh!ts and g!ggles, here are a couple of the spurious legal claims made by Public Interest Lawyers ( PIL ) and Leigh Day.

Remember these are the idiots that brought the Al-Sweady case that was laughed out of Court and are now being pursued through legal channels to recover the £ 31Million of public funds that this farce alone cost.

"Case number 377 - it was alleged that a passenger in a car was shot by 'an hysterical British soldier in a tank'.

Great case to take up you might think. Until you read this:

"That Ihat investigation ascertained that PIL had submitted this allegation in October 2014 despite Danish armed forces accepting liability for this incident and paying compensation in 2003."

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/uk/parasitic-law-firms-blamed-for-legal-actions-against-uk-troops-34402752.html

Try getting the basics correct.

You could not make this stuff up if you tried.

Case number 123 - it was alleged that a 13-year-old girl had been killed when she picked up part of a UK cluster bomb that had failed to detonate.

Slam dunk case. Not a chance.

The Ihat investigation established that a 13-year-old boy had been killed but was unable to ascertain whether it was Iraqi or UK munitions responsible

It gets even better. I think this is called withholding evidence.

Shortly before the hearing, PIL disclosed a witness statement by the boy's father made before the Ihat investigation in which he said he'd been killed while in the vicinity of an Iraqi mobile missile launcher preparing to fire missiles into Kuwait, which was destroyed by coalition helicopter.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/uk/parasitic-law-firms-blamed-for-legal-actions-against-uk-troops-34402752.html

Edited by SgtRock