New Honda civic not getting the 1.5 Turbo engine in Thailand.. Surely not?

Huayrat

That's the US Specs.. The Thai model runs on E20 Gas that kills the power in the car.. They have been only getting 9 seconds here which is piss poor if that's the figure.. You might aswell go buy the new Focus that does it on 8 seconds and runs on E85., Easy to tune that Focus for more power running on that aswell.. I like the Homda but hate their fuel choice in Thailand

173 hp is 173 hp whether in the US or in Thailand, though the US model shows 174. The fact it can run on E20 doesn't mean it has to run on E20 just that it may be tuned for such. I can believe 9 seconds for the 1.8 but the 1.5 is nearly 20% more HP and higher torque so the numbers don't add up to be 9+ for the 1.5. Use your own stop watch for the below. This is just a user not pro so he would not have optimum setup for his YouTube run.

//Edit - BTW, E10 is the most common benzene in Thailand, E85 more difficult to find. E10 is also mandated in most US states as such we are talking fuel equity. Having an E20 sticker doesn't mean it has to use E20. E20, E10, 91 Benzene all work. I have an E20 sticker but use E10 as it is easier to find. Not sure I've seen an E20 pump here. You have a small loss in mileage with gasohol but less % of power loss when tuned.

As much as I want it to do that speed it won't here in Thailand.. You put other gas init and you will kill the engine.. Don't worry I share your disappointment as I think I'll be buying it

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the US Specs.. The Thai model runs on E20 Gas that kills the power in the car.. They have been only getting 9 seconds here which is piss poor if that's the figure.. You might aswell go buy the new Focus that does it on 8 seconds and runs on E85., Easy to tune that Focus for more power running on that aswell.. I like the Homda but hate their fuel choice in Thailand

Interesting, how would one tune the Focus for more power ?

You can ECU Flash a Focus more easier running that fuel.. They just stick their Laptop into your car and fiddle with it

Who is they ?

173 hp is 173 hp whether in the US or in Thailand, though the US model shows 174.

In Thailand everyone quotes metric horsepower (Pferdestarke/PS) - so not the same as imperial BHP used in the USA.

174 BHP = 176.4 PS

173 PS = 170.5 BHP

In the case of the Civic 1.5 Turbo, the tuning used in Thailand is different to the US - here we have less boost pressure, and max HP is made at lower RPM than the US spec.

Edited by IMHO

^Thanks for that clarification. I'm thinking of buying one early next year for a family member, but it the thing has get up and go, I might be tempted to confiscate it on occasion. thumbsup.gif

As I noted, no-one was able to better than 9.x seconds on 0-100 on the Thai launch day - but it was a hot day and a new car... I think it's fair to assume it will do around mid-8 seconds in more ideal conditions.

That's enough to be faster than 90% of cars on the road, but not quite enough to be considered exciting. YMMV though! :)

^Thanks for that clarification. I'm thinking of buying one early next year for a family member, but it the thing has get up and go, I might be tempted to confiscate it on occasion. thumbsup.gif

As I noted, no-one was able to better than 9.x seconds on 0-100 on the Thai launch day - but it was a hot day and a new car... I think it's fair to assume it will do around mid-8 seconds in more ideal conditions.

That's enough to be faster than 90% of cars on the road, but not quite enough to be considered exciting. YMMV though! smile.png

Thanks, but I'm afraid my boy racer days are behind me at this point. That sounds a lot faster than my big barge I drive daily.

That's enough to be faster than 90% of cars on the road, but not quite enough to be considered exciting. YMMV though! smile.png

Thanks, but I'm afraid my boy racer days are behind me at this point. That sounds a lot faster than my big barge I drive daily.

Acceleration is not only racing, feel the power for overtaking itsa safetybiggrin.pngwai.gif

173 hp is 173 hp whether in the US or in Thailand, though the US model shows 174.

In Thailand everyone quotes metric horsepower (Pferdestarke/PS) - so not the same as imperial BHP used in the USA.

174 BHP = 176.4 PS

173 PS = 170.5 BHP

In the case of the Civic 1.5 Turbo, the tuning used in Thailand is different to the US - here we have less boost pressure, and max HP is made at lower RPM than the US spec.

Thanks. That does make it clearer. I always looked at PS = HP.

I went to see the Civic today and really liked it ,It will be for my wife who is more than happy with the 1.8 EL and to me for 959,000 it seems good when thinking about how well they keep there value

I know people go on about Fords/mazdas which do look nice but basic old man style interior but hey this is Thailand and you try and sell a second hand Ford Fiesta/Focus /Ranger and you will see that you will struggle.

I would like the 1.5 turbo whch is coming Just before Songkran so i am told but with the roads here /traffic/ is it worth that much extra?

Funny how Ranger owners think they have a quick car ?

My Neighbour just got the engine parts back for his Ranger only had to wait 18 months .Wonder why Fords have such a bad name here?

I have a Ranger. I think its slow.

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

If the engine is the same as the one in the USA it means it has the ability to be tuned. I suspect will be able to get another 30% more power out of the engine without effecting the driveline or anything for that matter. Still not that much power to be honest. But ok for a Thai produced car. I think the ford will be a strong contender. Will be interesting to see them both 6 months from now, i.e. to see what the tuning companies can safely extract from them. Shame no manual transmission but makes sense in Thailand as people have a hard enough time driving a auto transmission.

Would be great if someone like Hyundai produced the genesis with the evo 2.0 engine. Awesome tuning abilities.

Tuning it for more power must do wonders for the drivetrain warranty.

30% is not a lot and many car companies over engineer the drivetrain. With an aftermarket clutch and a proper tune, the toyota supra 4th gen engine and drivetrain could take 800hp all day long.

30% is not a lot and many car companies over engineer the drivetrain. With an aftermarket clutch and a proper tune, the toyota supra 4th gen engine and drivetrain could take 800hp all day long.

I dont care for what an old Toyota engine can take the simple fact of the matter is that if you modify the tune whilst it is under warranty and something goes bang you will soon discover you have no warranty.

I dont care for what an old Toyota engine can take the simple fact of the matter is that if you modify the tune whilst it is under warranty and something goes bang you will soon discover you have no warranty.

Many companies like APR do aftermarket tuning packages that can be reversed at the touch of a button. So anytime you take your car back to the dealer, they won't know. Also these companies do extensive testing before releasing anything to the public to ensure the tunes are safe and will not put any stress and damage on your drivetrain. Have been doing it for years. If their tuning packages were destroying cars left right and centre then they would be out of business.

A reversible tune.... what is that some of horrid piggyback thing.

Why so negative? lol

They work with the factory ecu, not a piggyback. Flash the ECU and write adjustments etc.

See here:

Terrible video but you get the idea.

So when Honda plug into the ECU during a routine service point they cannot detect at all that the ECU has been fiddled..... interesting as it would be locked by Honda and if hacked/bypassed and then modified surely they will know about it.

Dont get me wrong Iam all for tuning and making more grunt (hell I got friends making 1000hp + from Toyota 1UZ engines running stock internals other than head gaskets and a full stud kit) but there is a time and place as far as Iam concernded and voiding the warranty on a new vehicle is not something I would consider entertaining.

So when Honda plug into the ECU during a routine service point they cannot detect at all that the ECU has been fiddled..... interesting as it would be locked by Honda and if hacked/bypassed and then modified surely they will know about it.

Dont get me wrong Iam all for tuning and making more grunt (hell I got friends making 1000hp + from Toyota 1UZ engines running stock internals other than head gaskets and a full stud kit) but there is a time and place as far as Iam concernded and voiding the warranty on a new vehicle is not something I would consider entertaining.

There is a lot of discussion on various forums regarding this, whether or not they can detect the changes, but from what I understand unless they really really make a huge effort to go looking for it, they won't find it. Even if they find it, they would have to prove from a legal standpoint that it was directly responsible for the damage.

1UZ 1000hp with stock internals? fantastic! I was seriously thinking to put one in my A31 cefiro, in the end was happy with the 2JZ. Anyhow back on topic.

There is a lot of discussion on various forums regarding this, whether or not they can detect the changes, but from what I understand unless they really really make a huge effort to go looking for it, they won't find it. Even if they find it, they would have to prove from a legal standpoint that it was directly responsible for the damage.

1UZ 1000hp with stock internals? fantastic! I was seriously thinking to put one in my A31 cefiro, in the end was happy with the 2JZ. Anyhow back on topic.

It can't be that hard to detect - even standard OBDII data would show it, so long as you know what 'normal' is - e.g. fuel usage, airflow, and boost values alone would set new record highs, surely?

It can't be that hard to detect - even standard OBDII data would show it, so long as you know what 'normal' is - e.g. fuel usage, airflow, and boost values alone would set new record highs, surely?

This is Thailand do you think they will look haha

If you try and make a warranty claim when the piston is hanging out the side of the block....I guess yes they wouldwhistling.gif Or any other unusual damage not seen in stock cars.

173 hp is 173 hp whether in the US or in Thailand, though the US model shows 174. The fact it can run on E20 doesn't mean it has to run on E20 just that it may be tuned for such. I can believe 9 seconds for the 1.8 but the 1.5 is nearly 20% more HP and higher torque so the numbers don't add up to be 9+ for the 1.5. Use your own stop watch for the below. This is just a user not pro so he would not have optimum setup for his YouTube run.

//Edit - BTW, E10 is the most common benzene in Thailand, E85 more difficult to find. E10 is also mandated in most US states as such we are talking fuel equity. Having an E20 sticker doesn't mean it has to use E20. E20, E10, 91 Benzene all work. I have an E20 sticker but use E10 as it is easier to find. Not sure I've seen an E20 pump here. You have a small loss in mileage with gasohol but less % of power loss when tuned.

As much as I want it to do that speed it won't here in Thailand.. You put other gas init and you will kill the engine.. Don't worry I share your disappointment as I think I'll be buying it

This cvt shifts like a regular auto. That would at least make it more tolerable to live with.

Subaru can do some chip up pover and its cover guaranty in some country;)

So its mean how vrand trast for self qality;)

If you try and make a warranty claim when the piston is hanging out the side of the block....I guess yes they wouldwhistling.gif Or any other unusual damage not seen in stock cars.

If iťs only upgrade software and after back and cant see software be upgrade. So its not proof.

But ofcouse Thailand its not Country where follow laws and any rules(promise) and its only how want do diller.

I go honda diller and look New civic.

its nice car.

+ its have so many space for back sit

But drive sit it look as for children. A cant be realy comfort sit . And if realy have car can be down 8 sec to 100km . Its no good sit.

And have another thinks.

Bumper its look as jely. This is car can fast drive??? Nay be after i am do load video. But can self try. Its be near ligth.

:(

Subaru can do some chip up pover and its cover guaranty in some country;)

So its mean how vrand trast for self qality;)

What ?

What ?

Sorry about my English.

Again

In Subaru can do some up power by software and its cover guaranty in some country;)

So its mean .

How brand trusts the self quality of products.

So it is a factory upgrade. ?