New Honda civic not getting the 1.5 Turbo engine in Thailand.. Surely not?

Huayrat

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You forgot to add an intercooler and pipework, fabricate a new exhaust, come up with some system to control the waste gate to regulate boost, figure out some way to stop knocking occurring before you destroy the engine...

And possibly upgrade manifold air mass meter if you go beyond stock range.

The 'powershift' dual clutch has received so much bad press in TH, I'm surprised they sell any. The move back to torque converters is critical if they want sales.

Is it really that bad? Compared to what? I have two mates with 1.0 Eco boost neither complains!

No, not really - the primary complaint is clunky/jerky shifts at low speeds - which is just the nature of the DCT tech really. The Benz *A class have the same issues, but people buying them know what to expect I guess?

If you want a smooth shifting auto, don't buy a DCT. If you wanted a smooth shifting auto but bought a DCT, take it to the media and see if that works to get your money back, I suppose [emoji14]

My vw DSG shifted insanely smooth.

Barely noticeable if you really wanted to notice it.

Daily driving, no way you even would think about it.

They offered it for 50 to me

Wonder if it's any better than the locally made ones? Think they are about 30K. 100K is crazy for a roller door lol

The one's Ford sells are said to be imported from Europe.. not sure of the exact brand, but probably one of the pricey, but top quality, Scandinavian ones.

I have a sneaky feeling the new Civic will follow the price trend here.Recon they will push the price up and take bits off. Paid 1Mill last time,recon it will be 1.2/3 next time. If Full Yank spec ill have it, but if not specked up, stuff it.sad.pngcoffee1.gif

I heard an estimate for the top civic to be less than 1.2M. More than 1.2 and Thais are not likely to buy 1.5 litre motor. Let's see. I'd be happy if it actually turns up and is less than 1.2. More that that, I may as well get a pjs.

Wonder if it's any better than the locally made ones? Think they are about 30K. 100K is crazy for a roller door lol

The one's Ford sells are said to be imported from Europe.. not sure of the exact brand, but probably one of the pricey, but top quality, Scandinavian ones.

I suspect you are correct there. Those are pricey, even in Europe. My concern would be regarding how waterproof it is.

I suspect you are correct there. Those are pricey, even in Europe. My concern would be regarding how waterproof it is.

Simple answer: not waterproof at all :)

You forgot to add an intercooler and pipework, fabricate a new exhaust, come up with some system to control the waste gate to regulate boost, figure out some way to stop knocking occurring before you destroy the engine...

And possibly upgrade manifold air mass meter if you go beyond stock range.

If you are going to the trouble of adding turbos and all the associated gear that goes along with such an upgrade you might as well do mafless tune.

Edited by Don Mega

Simple answer: not waterproof at all smile.png

That kind of sucks for the price...but that means sacrificing the siderails/sports bar for a hard carryboy. Glad it's not a decision I need to make:)

What ws this thread about again? Pickups, honda civic or turbos laugh.png

I have a sneaky feeling the new Civic will follow the price trend here.Recon they will push the price up and take bits off. Paid 1Mill last time,recon it will be 1.2/3 next time. If Full Yank spec ill have it, but if not specked up, stuff it.sad.pngcoffee1.gif

I heard an estimate for the top civic to be less than 1.2M. More than 1.2 and Thais are not likely to buy 1.5 litre motor. Let's see. I'd be happy if it actually turns up and is less than 1.2. More that that, I may as well get a pjs.

The 1.5 is a rocket... It will sell like Hot cakes if they bring it here... I'd be more concerned about ppl not buying it if they don't put that engine in if I was Honda

Anyone know how well the 1.6 DIG Turbo Pulsar or Sylphy are selling?

They are selling like whatever the opposite of "like hot cakes" is.

Wrong badge?

Did they even sell the quota of nissan pulsar turbos...? 300 units I think.

Wrong badge?

If i had known that the sylphie had a turbo version i might have checked it out. They dont really advertise it.. Also nissan's site is horrible

Wrong badge?

Based on what Honda R&D chief Keiji Ohtsu has recently said, the OP (and others) are right to believe no Turbo Civic is coming to Thailand. (at least not for a bit. If sales don't rocket, then perhaps they will reconsider)

Nissan did NOT sell the quota of 300 Pulsar Turbo Units (at least they hadn't 2 months ago...) But, then the Pulsar itself was not exactly selling like "hot cakes" either.

The Sylphy, while slower in sales than Toyota, Mazda, and Honda in the C segment class, still moves 100 to 200 units per month (with a few spikes well above that) consistently since launch. Not Civic, Mazda3, or Altis Numbers here in Thailand, but as a unit the Sylphy/Sentra would be in the top 15 globally (if Nissan didn't break it in between the two brands, even though they are for all intents and purposes the same car), which should at least make repairs/upgrades easy for a while.

Now, in the US, only the 1.8 NA engine is offered, and the resulting reviews call it anemic, but spacious for a small car, with lots of goodies. Yet, thank goodness, Thailand offered us the 1.6T in the Sylphy variant as that not only gets rid of the desire to shoot yourself waiting for the acceleration to occur, it also gets 6 airbags and the sunroof. (dunno that I care for the sunroof here in Thailand... but my son likes to stare out at it on trips). The US did get the all around parking view and blind spot monitoring as options this year.. which are in the Teana and the XTrail here, but the Rear View Camera works well enough in the Sylphy.

With the news from Honda that the 1.5T isn't coming, I'm even more glad I took advantage of the 0 percent and Insurance offer on the DIG Turbo while it was available at introduction, as the 1.5T was the only thing on the horizon here in Thailand that appeared to be in the range of semi-affordable quickness. As far as reviews about the suspension, the Sylphy is not a Sport suspension, but it is very comfortable and firm at the same time, especially on roads where I have to drive.. where the Sport suspension would be very un-appreciated. For the vehicles I have had in Thailand, I like the suspension of the Sylphy the best. (2007 Altis, 2007 Wish, 2011 Cruze, 2012 Mirage for comparison, which I would put in order after the Sylphy of Cruze, Wish, Altis, Mirage)

In the US if the Sentra had the 190 ps 1.6T, it would be considered a Sporty Small car, but here in Thailand... especially with the purchase patterns of most Thais, it is FAST.

P.S.

I did test the 3, Altis, and the Civic... but found the 3 anemic and tight feeling... and no cruise control. The Altis has no ability to vent hot air (which I hated in our 2007 on rainy or cool days). And the civic just felt over priced for the feelings it evoked.

Wrong badge?

Based on what Honda R&D chief Keiji Ohtsu has recently said, the OP (and others) are right to believe no Turbo Civic is coming to Thailand. (at least not for a bit. If sales don't rocket, then perhaps they will reconsider)

Nissan did NOT sell the quota of 300 Pulsar Turbo Units (at least they hadn't 2 months ago...) But, then the Pulsar itself was not exactly selling like "hot cakes" either.

The Sylphy, while slower in sales than Toyota, Mazda, and Honda in the C segment class, still moves 100 to 200 units per month (with a few spikes well above that) consistently since launch. Not Civic, Mazda3, or Altis Numbers here in Thailand, but as a unit the Sylphy/Sentra would be in the top 15 globally (if Nissan didn't break it in between the two brands, even though they are for all intents and purposes the same car), which should at least make repairs/upgrades easy for a while.

Now, in the US, only the 1.8 NA engine is offered, and the resulting reviews call it anemic, but spacious for a small car, with lots of goodies. Yet, thank goodness, Thailand offered us the 1.6T in the Sylphy variant as that not only gets rid of the desire to shoot yourself waiting for the acceleration to occur, it also gets 6 airbags and the sunroof. (dunno that I care for the sunroof here in Thailand... but my son likes to stare out at it on trips). The US did get the all around parking view and blind spot monitoring as options this year.. which are in the Teana and the XTrail here, but the Rear View Camera works well enough in the Sylphy.

With the news from Honda that the 1.5T isn't coming, I'm even more glad I took advantage of the 0 percent and Insurance offer on the DIG Turbo while it was available at introduction, as the 1.5T was the only thing on the horizon here in Thailand that appeared to be in the range of semi-affordable quickness. As far as reviews about the suspension, the Sylphy is not a Sport suspension, but it is very comfortable and firm at the same time, especially on roads where I have to drive.. where the Sport suspension would be very un-appreciated. For the vehicles I have had in Thailand, I like the suspension of the Sylphy the best. (2007 Altis, 2007 Wish, 2011 Cruze, 2012 Mirage for comparison, which I would put in order after the Sylphy of Cruze, Wish, Altis, Mirage)

In the US if the Sentra had the 190 ps 1.6T, it would be considered a Sporty Small car, but here in Thailand... especially with the purchase patterns of most Thais, it is FAST.

P.S.

I did test the 3, Altis, and the Civic... but found the 3 anemic and tight feeling... and no cruise control. The Altis has no ability to vent hot air (which I hated in our 2007 on rainy or cool days). And the civic just felt over priced for the feelings it evoked.

Still no 100% news about the civic Turbo not coming here yet??

We can only pray or my money won't be going to Honda

Honda TH have gone on record with their plans for turbo engines, across the range over the coming years.

As for other options, as noted the Focus 1.5L ecoboost launches in March.

And the 0-60 on that is?

No idea. It does 0-100km/hr in mid 8's though.

Honda TH have gone on record with their plans for turbo engines, across the range over the coming years.

And the 0-60 on that is?

Too slow.. Civic does it in 6.5

And the 0-60 on that is?

Where did you see that time? All the videos I've watched, it has been between 7 and 8 seconds (1.5 cvt).

It ain't no type R but it's not slow either.

And the 0-60 on that is?

Where did you see that time? All the videos I've watched, it has been between 7 and 8 seconds (1.5 cvt).

It ain't no type R but it's not slow either.

With the new turbocharged engine, there's a broad band of torque from 1,700 rpm all the way to 5,500 rpm. You have power whether you're pulling away from a traffic light or passing on the freeway. In our instrumented testing, the turbocharged Civic went from zero to 60 mph in 6.7 seconds. That's big news given that it took the previous Civic we tested 9.0 seconds to make the same run.

And the 0-60 on that is?

0-100km/hr = 0.-62mph

No way it's doing sub 7s - even the basic math on that is impossible.

And the 0-60 on that is?

0-100km/hr = 0.-62mph

No way it's doing sub 7s - even the basic math on that is impossible.

It is doing it in less than 7 seconds.. This is a fact it's not a made up number.. Go read at what that Turbo is pushing out in power.. It's an unreal engine..