Three Million Thais Diagnosed With Diabetes

george

Three million Thais diagnosed with diabetes

BANGKOK: -- Fast food and a lack of exercise is lowering the health and well-being to Thai children and young people, bringing diabetes--formerly a disease associated with older persons--into the forefront for Thai teenagers and their families.

The number of people in Thailand diagnosed with diabetes has increased to over 3 million and the disease is affecting the younger population at an alarming rate, a senior Thai health official said.

Ministry of Public Health permanent-secretary Dr. Prat Boonyawongvirot said 3.2 million Thais are diabetic and many of them are as young as age 15. He said that Bangkok has the highest number of diabetes patients, accounting for 11 per cent of the total.

''Even though diabetes is still mostly found in women aged 60-69, it has spread to the much younger population due to poor diet,'' he said.

The number of teenagers diagnosed with diabetes has increased by 10 times during the past 20 years.

Most live in Bangkok where new urban lifestyle that lacks outdoor activities and unhealthy eating habits have caused them to become overweight.

''Children don't have enough exercise and spend most of their time watching television and playing computer games while consuming snacks, soft drinks and fast food,'' Dr. Prat explained.

To keep diabetes at bay, parents must introduce a healthy diet and lifestyle to their children, he said.

''For diabetic people, they need to keep their health and eating in check and regular visits to their doctor is a must,'' he said.

He said only one million patients knew their medical condition while an estimated more than two million others were not aware of having the condition until they were diagnosed for other diseases.

''We find that only 400,000 patients could control their condition medically and stay well," Dr. Prat said. "Many others did not adjust their diet or exercise, and have suffered from blindness, kidney failure, and stroke,'' he said.

--TNA 2006-10-15

Children and the Metabolic Nightmare

www.healthmyths.net © 2006

Every loving parent wants the best for their children. We want them to have the best education. We want them to have the best lifestyle. And we want them to have the best future. As a father of two, I know this first hand. I also know that before any child attains the best of anything they must first attain the best of health. Sadly, this is an obstacle for most due to excess sugar use.

When sugar is consumed, the body responds by releasing mass amounts of the fat-storing hormone insulin. The insulin spike sets the stage for a metabolic nightmare. The brain says eat, eat, eat and the body says store, store, store. Raging appetite (seen as a tantrum) and obesity are the outcome. But that’s not all.

Courtesy of the metabolic nightmare, the health of U.S. children is worse in virtually every category relative to children in other industrialized countries. The biggest threat: Type II diabetes. In 2003, the Journal of the American Medical Association predicted that one in three children born in the year 2000 will suffer from this “sugar-eating” illness. The prediction is becoming a harsh reality.

In the last 4 years, the number of American children and teens taking prescription drugs for type II diabetes has increased two-fold – the fastest increase in prescription drug history! This wanton drug use has done nothing to curb the epidemic. These children are now faced with the debilitating symptoms of type II diabetes. Their entire lives will be encumbered by depression, heart disease, stroke and even cancer. It doesn’t have to be like this.

Avoiding obesity and type II diabetes requires the avoidance of sugar. This is not as easy as you might think. The term sugar refers to a long list of dangerous additives that have infiltrated our food supply. They are sucrose, glucose, dextrose, evaporated cane juice, maltodextrin, galactose, corn syrup, dextrin, beet sugar, raw sugar, brown sugar, white sugar, concentrated fruit juice, syrup, sorghum, honey, maple syrup, high fructose corn syrup, monosodium glutamate, hydrolyzed proteins and milk sugars such as lactose and maltose. Artificial flavors must be avoided too. Studies are showing that they too induce over-eating and fat storage.

Parents must be vigilant about reading labels and eliminating the aforementioned sugars from our children’s diet. If done, the best things in life await. The metabolic nightmare of type II diabetes will be nothing more than a bad dream.

Note: As summer approaches, fresh squeezed lemon juice in purified water flavored with “NuNaturals Stevia Extract” is a healthy alternative to sugary juice and soda.

About the Author: Shane is an organic chemist and internationally recognized authority on therapeutic nutrition. He is author of Health Myths Exposed and Hidden Truth about Cholesterol-Lowering Drugs. Get 6-months of his FREE Life Saving Health Briefs at www.healthmyths.net!

References: Starfield, Barbara. U.S. child health: What's amiss, and what should be done about it? A strong primary care infrastructure is key to improving and reducing disparities in children's health. Health Affairs (Millwood). 2004; September-October;23(5):165-170. SOURCE: JAMA 2003;290:1884-1890. SOURCE: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_32066.html

Author: Shane Ellison, M.Sc.

Date: 04/18/06

© 2005 Health Myths Exposed, LLC

www.healthmyths.net

posted with permition

The root cause here is not the western food coming in (although that contributes) it is more to do with Thai food being laced with sugar as a standard.

I am forever telling the missus to cut out putting sugar in food that back home would not require sugar, like on a plate of blooming noodles or when having prawns!

As such I have told the wife I will cook for myself as she never seems to listen about adding un-necessary ingriedients into the food. I once told her 'no sugar' and 5 minutes later there she was chucking two heaped spoonfuls into a frying pan, so I asked her what she was doing and she just looked at me like I was an idiot expressing that you 'always' cook this dish with sugar... and what was she cooking - Stir fried veggies!

I have since had to hide the sugar bowls to stop her doing it!

The other aspect is that until recently checks for diabetes was never done on a grand scale or as normal practice but as this is now evidently changing then its no huge surprise that the rates of diagnosis are on the increase as well, but you are right, the Thai's are getting fatter and China too as I read yesterday that their airlines are having to take out 20 seats per plane to cope with the fatties.... not to mention taking longer take off runs in order to get off the ground

Edited by Casanundra

The usual way diabetes is diagnosed is a visit to the doctor because you are always thirsty and peeing all the time, or a sudden weight loss when you are eating normally and not feeling to energetic.

Then off to the hospital for a glucose tolerance test. Nothing to eat only water to drink from midnight, a blood sample is taken, you drink about half a pint of liquid glucose, 2 hours later another blood sample is taken, then off you pop.

A week later your doctor tells you that your diabetic, and gives you a diet sheet and advice on what not to eat, a prescription for pills.

The diet recommended by diabetes (what ever country you are in) is a diet that will ensure your diabetes will get worse and eventually end up on insulin.

Then big phama who supports the Diabetes charities makes even more money.

In the UK a Accu Chek testing kit costs about £7 it comes in a very nice carry case and free batteries for life the test strips cost £1 each, of course in the UK a diabetic doesn’t have to pay foe prescriptions, so the NHS pays. Big phama.

The root cause here is not the western food coming in (although that contributes) it is more to do with Thai food being laced with sugar as a standard.

I am forever telling the missus to cut out putting sugar in food that back home would not require sugar, like on a plate of blooming noodles or when having prawns!

As such I have told the wife I will cook for myself as she never seems to listen about adding un-necessary ingriedients into the food. I once told her 'no sugar' and 5 minutes later there she was chucking two heaped spoonfuls into a frying pan, so I asked her what she was doing and she just looked at me like I was an idiot expressing that you 'always' cook this dish with sugar... and what was she cooking - Stir fried veggies!

I have since had to hide the sugar bowls to stop her doing it!

The other aspect is that until recently checks for diabetes was never done on a grand scale or as normal practice but as this is now evidently changing then its no huge surprise that the rates of diagnosis are on the increase as well, but you are right, the Thai's are getting fatter and China too as I read yesterday that their airlines are having to take out 20 seats per plane to cope with the fatties.... not to mention taking longer take off runs in order to get off the ground

Glad you are not the only one guarding the sugar supply in the kitchen..

I have just had sugar-infested chicken, due to a momentary lapse of supervision! :D:D:o:D:D:D:D:D

Three million Thais diagnosed with diabetes

BANGKOK: -- Fast food and a lack of exercise is lowering the health and well-being to Thai children and young people, bringing diabetes--formerly a disease associated with older persons--into the forefront for Thai teenagers and their families.

The number of people in Thailand diagnosed with diabetes has increased to over 3 million and the disease is affecting the younger population at an alarming rate, a senior Thai health official said.

Ministry of Public Health permanent-secretary Dr. Prat Boonyawongvirot said 3.2 million Thais are diabetic and many of them are as young as age 15. He said that Bangkok has the highest number of diabetes patients, accounting for 11 per cent of the total.

''Even though diabetes is still mostly found in women aged 60-69, it has spread to the much younger population due to poor diet,'' he said.

The number of teenagers diagnosed with diabetes has increased by 10 times during the past 20 years.

Most live in Bangkok where new urban lifestyle that lacks outdoor activities and unhealthy eating habits have caused them to become overweight.

''Children don't have enough exercise and spend most of their time watching television and playing computer games while consuming snacks, soft drinks and fast food,'' Dr. Prat explained.

To keep diabetes at bay, parents must introduce a healthy diet and lifestyle to their children, he said.

''For diabetic people, they need to keep their health and eating in check and regular visits to their doctor is a must,'' he said.

He said only one million patients knew their medical condition while an estimated more than two million others were not aware of having the condition until they were diagnosed for other diseases.

''We find that only 400,000 patients could control their condition medically and stay well," Dr. Prat said. "Many others did not adjust their diet or exercise, and have suffered from blindness, kidney failure, and stroke,'' he said.

--TNA 2006-10-15

Diabete is the fastest progressing disease in Asia.

Thank you Mac Donald (and a few others)...

Type 11 diabetes is caused by refined SUGAR nothing else, no sugar = no diabetes

when you think about it there is 12 tea spoons of sugar in 1 can of coke. :o

lez

Diabetes is not a result of just eating refined "sugar." Eating food that contains Carbohydrates (Rice, Potato, Pasta, Bread, etc.) affect a diabetic more than just sugar. Eat a balanced diet, eat meat (little if any carbohydrates).

Avoid eating starchy food, exercise on a regular basic, check your blood-sugar (glucose) level regularly. Eating a 1/3 teaspoon of cinnamon in cereal, bread, tea, etc. 3 times a day helps to bring a person's glucose level to a lower rate. Also continue taking doctor prescribed medication like glucotrol, gloucophage, sugaril, or insulin, available at most pharmacies and hospitals in Thailand.

When I was a kid food was always fresh and in season, a tin of peaches on a Sunday maybe a tin of peas. Type 2 diabetes was practically unheard of, (adult onset diabetes it was called)

Now everything comes pre-cooked, sugar is added to everything because we are hard wired to eat sweet foodstuff

Anybody done jungle survival will know not to eat anything that tastes bitter.

The high starchy high Carbohydrate food we ate we could manufacture enough insulin to cope with it, then we started overloading with highly sugared food (McDonalds where caught adding sugar to their fries) now everything is processed with added sugar

I was diagnosed as being diabetic, if I hadn’t stopped consuming Carbohydrates I would probably be on insulin now, as it is my fasting mmo/l is 5.5 and never more than 10 during the day, for those who are interested a fasting mmol over 7 you’re a diabetic.

I do eat some Carbohydrates but not much, a piece of fruit a Childs portion of rice the odd potato but mostly meat and fish