King inspired me: heroine nurse

webfact

GOOD SAMARITAN

Suwandee Bandisak
The Nation

30276128-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- AN OFF-DUTY nurse who made headlines after saving the life of a German tourist says she was inspired to act by King Bhumibol.

"He's the greatest inspiration. I have taken to heart His Majesty's speech that we should help our fellow humans," Sikanya Chuarob said yesterday.

The 39-year-old nurse sacrificed her New Year holiday on Saturday to save the tourist, but she considered the act a gift. "It was the happiest moment of my New Year holiday period," Sikanya said.

Gunter Retsch, 49, suffered a heart attack while cycling with a friend.

After hearing the friend's cries for help, the nurse got out of her vehicle and performed CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) on the man, called an ambulance, and travelled with him to hospital.

Yesterday she received a plaque of honour, a certificate of honour and a bouquet of flowers from Health Minister Piyasakol Sakolsatayadorn via Surat Thani Hospital director Dr Adikiat Irmworaniran.

She has been described as a "heroine of Surat Thani Hospital"- someone prepared to help people in need while off-duty, and a person who had enhanced the country's reputation.

More than 300 of her colleagues sang the hospital's song to her.

"I am so glad about the overwhelming admiration," she said. "But I also would like to encourage society to admire all Good Samaritans … many people have helped tourists, such as volunteers from foundations."

Jirarat Chunthun, head of the Male Neurosurgical Procedures Unit at the hospital, has worked with Sikanya for over 15 years. She described her as a very good, responsible nurse.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/King-inspired-me-heroine-nurse-30276128.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2016-01-05

Ummm excuse me but wot ??

OK this woman is a nurse and she "gifted him her aid" blink.png ?

Not just felt obliged by her code of conduct as a nurse or a human being using common sense with skills that can help then ?

Edited by englishoak

Not just felt obliged by her code of conduct as a nurse or a human being using common sense with skills that can help then ?

I felt sure that somebody would come along and rain on this parade! Look, if English wasn't your first language you also might use an incorrect word or structure a sentence poorly, from time to time, DON'T YA THINK!

She did a great job and deserves praise but I would expect no less from any health professional who had CPR training, certainly in the West, but it seems SO unusual here that we get all this fuss.

For a professional nurse or doctor to 'walk on by' is unthinkable and is bound by their training and ethical code (or should be). Anyway very well done for doing your job well... let's move on

Edited by LannaGuy

I felt sure that somebody would come along and rain on this parade! Look, if English wasn't your first language you also might use an incorrect word or structure a sentence poorly, from time to time, DON'T YA THINK!

It's not really raining on the parade. Sure, what she did was a good thing, BUT.....it should be seen as the norm for any person to do what they can to save the life of another. Here, they're treating it as some sort of miracle because it's so out of the ordinary.

What's happening here is tantamount to a child being fawningly praised and rewarded for tidying his room or cleaning his teeth, whereas it should just be the norm that he does those things.

It should be the other way around whereby people are castigated for NOT assisting where they can.

I don't think Englishoak was taking to task the English used but was pointing out that this would normally be expected of any health professional. In Thailand, well, who knows. She did the right thing as is being praised for saving the guys life. That's as it should be. One would like to think that she did what she did because it was the right thing to do, not from some words from the King.

It's not really raining on the parade. Sure, what she did was a good thing, BUT.....it should be seen as the norm for any person to do what they can to save the life of another. Here, they're treating it as some sort of miracle because it's so out of the ordinary.

What's happening here is tantamount to a child being fawningly praised and rewarded for tidying his room or cleaning his teeth, whereas it should just be the norm that he does those things.

It should be the other way around whereby people are castigated for NOT assisting where they can.

There are two issues:

One is the English language usage in the article and folks need to look beyond what was said by either the reporter or the nurse and consider the verbiage to be imprecise at best.

The second is the spin. Why not put a positive spin on it, other native people will perhaps follow her example if they see her being praised. Sadly, Thai law and the issue of first responder cuts across all of that, too many people are afraid to get involved for fear of prosecution if the patient dies or becomes injured further. So as a nurse who was in the right place at the right time, great and well done, let's not knock that effort in any shape or form, just because the majority of people here don't react and behave the same way as they do in say the UK or Europe, Thailand is neither of those places.

There are two issues:

One is the English language usage in the article and folks need to look beyond what was said by either the reporter or the nurse and consider the verbiage to be imprecise at best.

The second is the spin. Why not put a positive spin on it, other native people will perhaps follow her example if they see her being praised. Sadly, Thai law and the issue of first responder cuts across all of that, too many people are afraid to get involved for fear of prosecution if the patient dies or becomes injured further. So as a nurse who was in the right place at the right time, great and well done, let's not knock that effort in any shape or form, just because the majority of people here don't react and behave the same way as they do in say the UK or Europe, Thailand is neither of those places.

Rubbish.

Any decent medical trained professional worth their salt would have done the same anywhere on the planet, immediately without a thought or reason other than they can help...she did that, so well done HER, end of.

And thats the last im saying on this thread. whistling.gif

Edited by englishoak

You have completely missed the point being made which is nothing to do with English proficiency.Without taking away from this nurse's obvious decency and integrity, she has done what any professional in those circumstances would have done.Others as has been noted then milked the situation for who knows what reasons.

You have completely missed the point being made which is nothing to do with English proficiency.Without taking away from this nurse's obvious decency and integrity, she has done what any professional in those circumstances would have done.Others as has been noted then milked the situation for who knows what reasons.

From Post 13 above:

"The second is the spin. Why not put a positive spin on it, other native people will perhaps follow her example if they see her being praised. Sadly, Thai law and the issue of first responder cuts across all of that, too many people are afraid to get involved for fear of prosecution if the patient dies or becomes injured further. So as a nurse who was in the right place at the right time, great and well done, let's not knock that effort in any shape or form, just because the majority of people here don't react and behave the same way as they do in say the UK or Europe, Thailand is neither of those places".

From Post 13 above:

"The second is the spin. Why not put a positive spin on it, other native people will perhaps follow her example if they see her being praised. Sadly, Thai law and the issue of first responder cuts across all of that, too many people are afraid to get involved for fear of prosecution if the patient dies or becomes injured further. So as a nurse who was in the right place at the right time, great and well done, let's not knock that effort in any shape or form, just because the majority of people here don't react and behave the same way as they do in say the UK or Europe, Thailand is neither of those places".

Fair enough but it's a different point from the one I responded to.

From Post 13 above:

Fair enough but it's a different point from the one I responded to.

That's because you didn't read the thread fully! My post regarding English language usage was in response to the comment by Englishoak where he wrote:

"Ummm excuse me but wot ??

Not just felt obliged by her code of conduct as a nurse or a human being using common sense with skills that can help then" ?

EO questions her motives, I question the English language usage and interpretation.

I guess health care falls in the same gift category as electricity. Soon they'll add water and oxygen to the list.

Most of Thai people love their King; and that is a good thing.

I am happy she helped the tourist; and it is great that her co-workers gave her praise.

Good Job Nurse; and I hope their are people like her around, if I need help one day.

I have helped people in need before. It is a great feeling.

Have a great day, everyone.

Very warm hearted to hear. Such truly kind-hearted Thais deserve a lot of more credit than those nifty daily headlines that we from Thai visa are unfortunate to gulp in on a daily basis.....

More good deeds please............. laugh.pnglaugh.png

Okay...enough already!

You are a nurse, a doctor, a fire fighter...you help people in distress!

That is somehow a given!

If you are a cashier at 7eleven, I will not praise you, because you pointed the way to the milk!

No matter that- it is nice of her and a good thing, that she helped a guy!

Should this be a big news story?

No way!

Although I think, we take too many things for granted nowadays...2 days of reporting on a nurse/ medical worker basically doing her job!

Seriously?

They sang songs for her?

She gave interviews?

It tells you a lot about today's (Thai) society, really!

Okay...enough already!

That is somehow a given!

If you are a cashier at 7eleven, I will not praise you, because you pointed the way to the milk!

No way!

Although I think, we take too many things for granted nowadays...2 days of reporting on a nurse/ medical worker basically doing her job!

Seriously?

They sang songs for her?

She gave interviews?

I was wondering about the whole "hospital song" thing. Do all hospitals have unique ones or is it a generic one for all of them?

Do all institutions have their own song?

Never heard about this phenomena here before.

Edited by Bluespunk

Okay...enough already!

That is somehow a given!

No way!

Seriously?

They sang songs for her?

She gave interviews?

I was wondering about the whole "hospital song" thing. Do all hospitals have unique ones or is it a generic one for all of them?

Do all institutions have their own song?

Never heard about this phenomena here before.

At first I was afraid I was petrified

Thinking I couldn't live without you on the street dying by my side

And I've been spending seconds

Thinking how I don't want to do no wrong

I'm a Nurse and I grew strong

And I learned how to CPR, spoon and everything

And now you're back

From opposite the Cancer Hospital

And I find you here with that 'happiness' look upon your face

Go on now, go walk out the hospital door

Turn around now

You're not welcome anymore

You're the one who tried to die

Did you think I'd let you lay down and die?

No YOU survived!

YOU survived!

Oh yea, oh oh oh yea YOU survived!

bla bla bla

apologies Gloria Gaynor