Visa Crackdown Brings Expulsion Threat To Expats

Forgive me for being Naive, but isnt this kind of a tempest in a teapot? I think there are a few things that you must consider.

1. Its their country, and they have the sovergn right to impose these restrictions. No one requires that you live in Thailand. It is your choice. Yes it may seem unfair, but its their ball, if you dont like their game, then you dont have to play. (While I'm on this point, I'm guessing that most of the people who are very upset about this are from common wealth nations. I'm wondering if you've just taken for granted how easy it is to move between common wealth nations, and maybe, just maybe, you've been spoiled (just a little) by it.)

2. The amount they require for retirement is actually very modest if you are coming from a Western Nation. The United States, for one, requires much more as proof of support. Thailands still a bargain.

3. For those that are currently living in Thailand, Jai yen yen. Havent you learned anything during your stay?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking only of an issue I know something about, retirement policy, it would seem Australia is a lot tougher than Thailand for a foreign retiree.

It makes sense, from an economics point of view, for a country to encourage well funded retirees to come to their country for retirement, as it is a win-win situation for the host courntry.  Influx of unearned income, infusion of new money into the economy, no host country costs and a new population not prone to crime, disruptive behavior, etc.

I invite the Aussie who speaks so highly of his countries "progress" to go to the many Aussie websites provided by his government and see how much money is required to retire there.  If you want to call finanacial requirements for foreigners "discrimination" look to your own courntry, mate!

I agree with almost the 100% of what you say here, you "just" forget that:

1) Australia isn't a 3rd world country. That means: are they asking to retirees more than 10 times the average OZ wage (and the comparison is with Thai requirements for people MARRIED to Thai nationals!)?

2) Australia is not a country which discriminates visitors from OZ nationals so they do provide (costly) services to each and every one in the country. That means: ALL the money brought IN Thailand is a gain for the country (no matter how small is the amount), that's not the case with countries which give expensive benefits/assistances/services to their citizens/residents.

Why is it so hard to understand?? (and I am not referring only to you)

If the Thai government, as a matter of policy, decides that THEIR country would be better served by gettting as many of their citizenery to go to foreign countries to acquire the latest knowledge and technology and then return to enhance their own countries knowledge and technology base as opposed to taking handouts from visiting farang, I think it is a wise policy.  "Giving a fish feeds for a day, teaching to fish feeds a lifetime".
The error here is where you write "as opposed"...

Why should those two "practices" be conflicting?? Couldn't they do both and take double benefits?? I am inclined to think that any help they can get is beneficial for a country where a day of backbreaking job is still paid a couple of euro...

The level of financial requirement a host country determines as a minimum for retirement by a foreigner to inhance their enconomic development is their business.  It has nothing to do with how much money a local citizen requires to live on.

Of course is their business, here we are just commenting about "how good they are at doing business"...

(and my final comment was and still is "well done, imbeciles")

As far as people "jumping to conclusions" about the relationship between two people seen on the street, it is a quality of human behavior, nothing unique to Thailand.
Who said so?

All I did was pointing out the different standards Thais and westerners adopt judging us. The undisputable fact is that a young, fit, decent looking caucasian male and a young, good looking Asian female are GIRLFRIEND/BOYFRIEND in Italy and HOOKER/CUSTOMER in Thailand, period. And it doesn't matter either how she dresses/behaves (she is very conservative and has a good traditional education).

The reason for these different standards, I have already given...

Why a farang boy should be chosen over a Thai boy if not for the money???

And, believe me, the more beautiful your GF is and the more you get abused by the local scumbag boys ESPECIALLY if you are of their same age and you don't look particularly well off (because that means that she has chosen you over them because she thinks you are *better than them*, be it more handsome or kind or smart, whatever).

Italy is my favorite country in the whole world and I love to visit it whenever I can, the people, culture and food are the best, HOWEVER, I can buy Italian manufactured products cheaper in Los Angeles than in Italy.  Why, becasue of the very "welfare state" issues boasted of in an earlier post.  I believe I read recently that France is down to a 38 hour work week.  You know what that will do to the cost of their products in the world economy.

Well, thanks for the compliments for my home country :D but you misunderstood my talking about the "huge welfare state we have over here". It wasn't boasting, the point I was trying to get across is: if we can do that because of our ideas, principles and values NOTWITHSTANDING the possible burden that Italian citizens' foreign spouses could be to our country and to us taxpayers thanks to that very welfare system WHY can't the Thais since they give/grant sweet f.u.c.k.a.l.l to foreigners (and to their own citizens)????

BTW, if you want to know my opinion about the welfare states we have in EU I really think we should do something about that since the other world players don't play by our rules (protecting the workers, the minors, ensuring safety etc.) and that harms greatly our competitiveness. Just image if in China they started to care about the safety/wellbeing or the rights of their own citizens/workers...

Our present productivity and technology would simply wipe them out of business.

I am sure the Thai government would gladly change their immigration policy if expat technocrats and invaluable knowledgeable farang executive would come to Thailand and work for Thai level wages.
I don't understand this and don't see how this is related to the topic of the thread.

Anyway, why should they? There already are "fools" who work seriously underpaid jobs just for the "pleasure" of living in Thailand, there already are "fools" who spend their hard earned cash and pay for the "privilege" to live and enrich a 3rd world country...

My wife here earns the same that an Italian would in her position (an attemp to pay her less because of her race/country of origin would promptly be severely punished by the Guardia di Finanza -the branch of the police forces which deals with financial matters- and she would be reinstated/reimbursed).

If Italy needed people with special skills not available locally (like happens in TH with those "rich" expats) we would pay them more than local wages to entice them.

And... surprise! That's already happening!

Just think about the soccer players (or top managers or many other possible examples) switching countries (Italy, Germany, France, UK etc.) seeking better wages.

Despite the world superpower's complaints about Chinese economic policy, look at what has happened there since Mao departed. I doubt seriously that country would have made such great advances in economic development if they had listened to some of the advice I have read in this thread. China has been the leader in sending citizens abroad to learn from the more advanced technological countries and then using that acquired knowledge to make leaps forward, whether it be their atomic bomb or their manufacturing sector.  Their business spies are evidence of that as well. From a country that was 100% foreign dependent for arms after the second world war, to the one of the leading exporters of weapons a decade or two laster, China knew how to do it. They sure didn't rely on farang technocrats living in China for that.

You must be kidding!!

China has begun to "boom" when they "opened up" to foreign business!

They try to entice bussinesmen of all kinds, small entrepreneurs, medium firms and mega-multinationals (while LOS seems really interested in just the latter, and even on that regard they are increasingly becoming more "closed").

What you say about spies/copying etc. is all true but it's also true that I know people who have very small businesses in China and are making big profits (for both them and China). Try that in Thailand with all their absurd regulations and limitations! "Thailand for the Thais"! Yeah.. good luck idiots....

China is not paradise for investors but it's surely eating those "Asian Tigers" like Thailand which hasn't learned the lesson and really think that people should pay for the privilege of spending their money in LOS!!

Thais don't want to learn (ANYTHING) from us. They know better and don't need us and our "knowledge" (on anything).

The result is that the Chineses own and rule Thais' land :o

The solution? Easy: "blame the farangs" :D:D:D

Like George, I am tired of Thai bashing in this forum, however, since there is so much good "stuff" found herein, I must "deal with it", just as the Thai bashers must "deal with it" if they live in Thailand.

That's funny, what I am tired of is the farang bashing in this (not much) and other forums (sickeningly much).

The slightest mistakes farangs make, make them worthless scumbags who haven't understood anything of the culture, the country and the people...

The slightest complaints farangs make and they should f.u.c.k off home...

OTOH, Thais' own shortcomings are vievew as "cute", "lovely", "characteristic"...

Thefts, lies, scums etc. are "TIT", "amazing Thailand", "make LOS different", exotic...

The utter stupidity of (let's say) *some* Thais becomes "Thai logic"...

Ciao

You are for sure not looking for a future in Thailand.

Good for you.

What is your point?

Just stay in Italy and USA and let us enjoy LOS

And what's yours replying to my post?

I thought this was a discussion board on matters related to Thailand and the topic of this thread was the new reg for retirees with Thai families but if you own this board or represent its members and want me out just tell or ban me.

Ahhh... and sorry if my thoughts spoil your enjoyment of LOS.

Just ask yourself why......... Might some truth actually be in them?!?!

I found your reaction too negative.

I am planning my retirement already long time and I am well aware of the positive and negative(like everywhere in the world).

I am just a member like you.Banning is not in my vocabulary.

If people become too personal (insulting or so) I simply don't react any more.

May be because I am 61 years old and 27 years married , I accept certain aspects of life.

The world is not black or white.Enjoy life :o

I am planning my retirement already long time and I am well aware of the positive and negative(like everywhere in the world).

May be because I am 61 years old and 27 years married , I accept certain aspects of life.

The world is not black or white.Enjoy life :o

Ignore the negative ranting Italian Dutch.

Maybe because the *reality* of the topic is pretty negative (as it looks now)?..

I think you have a point here. For many different reasons I do think it's easier for older folks to enjoy their time in LOS. Many find the pros far outweighting the cons.

But I am sorry that at this point in my life I want to make new REAL friends (males included) outside "farang ghettos", I want to have normal occasional relationships with everyday folks -I mean mix with common people-, I don't want to have to swallow my pride, I want to be able to stand up and fight for my rights whenever I think I am discriminated/cheated/scammed etc. etc.

My life back at home wasn't shitty and miserable when I firstly went to LOS, I didn't despised farang girls nor had had bad experiences with them nor had a slant for Asia or Asians. I simply immensely enjoyed it there in LOS UNTIL I had to quit whoring and boozing and tried to have a normal life. Alas, I still hopelessly was a "farang", an outsider...

Mind you, I am not a rude ignorant farang, I can speak their lang (Thai of the central region) reasonably well, know how to properly behave and know more about their own history than the average Thai, the problem is just I am not "one of them"...

The world is not black or white.Enjoy life :D

Thanks, I'm trying to and pretty successful at the moment :D

Enjoy your retirement in LOS :o

Ignore the negative ranting Italian Dutch.

Yeah... why compare each others' opinions and experiences when it's so much easier and self-reassuring just to stick your head in the sand?..

You are in Italia. How does what happens in Thailand affect you anyway. We need your negativity like we need a hole in the head.

You are in Italia. How does what happens in Thailand affect you anyway.

I am married to a Thai and my in-laws are in Thailand. I think this bond is strong enough for my wanting to keep myself up-to-dated on what's going on down there and on new laws and regulations that might affect, now or at some point in the future, me or my wife...

The political and economic situation in LOS is also of concern since my in-laws are presently doing OK and don't need any help, so any change for the worse, in the future, may mean my wife being requested for financial help... :o

We need your negativity like we need a hole in the head.

My "negativity" (I would rather call it objectivity) MIGHT help you residents by bringing to the attention of the "public opinions" back at home the kind of unfair treatments you are subjected by Thai laws which do not reciprocate any of our liberal and democratic laws.

I sure know that when I was a resident myself I would have liked so much someone back at home who pleaded my case...

Public opinions, NGOs, international organizations, lobbies and activists are those who managed to get countries like Thailand to issue laws (no matter how little effective) pro environment, children, women, smoking etc. etc. (and among them many unworthy and/or wrong causes, IMO)

Fact is, the more they could economically benefit (or NOT benefit!) from the enacting/application of such laws, the more they have succesfully enforced them.

Imagine a significative drop in western tourist numbers due to "bad rap" from ex-residents like me on issue like human rights, corruption and discriminations......

Does the world stop and listen to whingers still ?

I think you missed the bit about public opinions, NGOs, international organizations, lobbies and activists and what they have managed to do in countries like Thailand...

I 'borrowed' the following from the http://www.bahtbus.com Message Board. It will be interesting to see if he gets a reply. :o

TO BOB ANDREWS OF THE EXPAT TELEGRAPH

Dear Bob,

I congratulate you on writing the biggest pile of crap I have ever read under the banner of The Daily Telegraph.

The Daily Telegraph used to be a well-respected organ within the quality press when I lived in UK. It appears that their recruitment budget has how now been 'down-sized', affording them to only employ 'organs' to fill available column space.

Did you actually research the subject before tapping out your slanted words? No, I thought not. Why let the truth get in the way of what you obviously believed would come across as a good story. The truth can be a nuisance for some in your 'profession', it would appear.

Firstly, may I say that yes, the financial requirements for a foreign male obtaining a Non-Immigrant 'O' visa on the grounds of being married to a Thai national will be doubled as from the 10th of July 2004. However, there is no definitive indication or statement from the Thai Authorities to the effect that the requirement for 400,000 Baht to be permanently held on deposit in a Thai bank account as from the 10th of July.

You seem to be unaware of the principles behind even the current proven income/cash requirements. The very purpose of having an option between proven income or capital (or a combination of both) is to ensure that a foreigner is sufficiently funded to care for himself and his dependants whilst living in Thailand. The logic is simple: If one does not have a proven future monthly income stream to meet the requirements, the existence of a proven cash sum in a bank account at the start of a year that approximates to the same income over a year will serve the same purpose. As you maintain that successful applicants will be unable to touch the capital upon which they are supposed to live, are you suggesting, therefore, that those with a proven income stream are not allowed to touch that money during the tenure of their visa?

In any event, how would the Thai Authorities stop a foreigner from withdrawing money from his bank account? The worst the Authorities could do would be to deny a renewal application a year later, but that makes little sense given the income alternative.

Secondly, I refer to 'Jim Francis' and his past visa status. You infer that Mr Francis has been relying on obtaining a Non-Immigrant 'B' visa, affording him the ability to only leave the Kingdom of Thailand every quarter to remain a legal guest. If he has been doing this in the past with no intention of obtaining legal employment and associated mandatory Work Permit, then he has been falsifying his intentions on his visa applications. That practice is currently illegal and will remain illegal after the 10th of July.

Thirdly, I refer to the income you state that Mr Francis receives. You state that his pension amounts to 9,500 Baht per month whilst he has been ostensibly comfortably paying 2,000 Baht per month (24,000 Baht annually according to you) from that to keep his dubious visa up to date and himself therefore legal.

That leaves him with 7,500 Baht per month upon which to support himself and his wife. Unless Mr and Mrs Francis reside in a free hovel, live from hand to mouth, fatten up cockroaches so they can have some meat on special occasions and otherwise 'live with nature', they must be living to a standard that would cause the most unfussy of derelicts to complain before moving on.

You, emotionally it would seem, state that Mr Francis is 62 years of age. Surprisingly enough, people of that age are prone to suffer from failing health as the years advance. There is no National Health Service available to foreigners (or anyone else come to that) in Thailand so what happens should he become unwell? How will he be able to pay for Doctors' fees and medication? He will clearly have great difficulty but he will certainly not become a burden on the state, as he will simply not be cared for at anyone's expense but his own.

Moving on from the obvious to the more patently obvious, do you and Mr Francis believe that Tony Blair is going to jump on his white charger and flash his sword at the Thai Premier? Thaksin Shinawatra could not give a flying whatever for Brits who obviously cannot afford to live in their own country, let alone live in his as a pauper. Why should he? If you do, then you both must be many prawns short of a dish of Kaow Pat Goong,.

And oh please do tell where the clearly knowledgeable Mr Francis gleaned the information that: " the average family income in Thailand is 3,340 Baht (£49) a month." Perhaps he had a surf on Google when he was checking his share portfolio?

The last paragraph of your piece was classic as you quoted your poor Mr Jim Francis:

""What right has anyone to say I can't support my wife on 9,500 Baht a month? I've been living happily with her for the past seven years, have never got into debt and we've never gone without."

Let me help you here Jim. It is not your country and the Thai authorities have every right to say what they ###### well please about any foreigner who thinks he is above their laws and pompously believes he has a right to live in their country with funds insufficient to keep a family of gerbils at a standard that would make a Vet weep.

As for you, Bob Andrews, you should resign immediately, as should your Editor. You are a disgrace to your 'profession' and give even the lowest of the lowest hacks in the as was 'Street of Shame' a bad name.

I look forward to your prompt reply but will not be holding my breath.

Does this apply to ALL farang or only british ?

What about Americans ?

Does owning a house count ?

400,000 at present is $10,256.00 thats alot to be tied up in Thailand .

Where's the smile's now ?

owning property doesn't count. And the rules apply to all foreigners.

Thanks again Doc.

Please dont get me wrong, I do have the money and I will gladly deposit it for the chance to live full time in the country I love more than my own ( America ). However it would be nice to at least collect interest on the amount. Or shares of AIS would be good too.....Or a few rounds of free golf.

1. What happens to English teachers where the school does not want to go through the cost or paperwork for a work visa?

2. Does this mean that English classes inThailand will raise to that for the elite only?

3. If it was about border walkers as you so often put it, do you think that alot of falangs in Pattaya would still be here?

4. The money that gets spent each and every day by these "Poverty Packers", who does that support? What is the average office wage in Bangkok, about 10,000 Baht for a middle management post. These poverty packers spend at least 25-30,000 Baht a month. Use private health care and pay double for everything. How much of that money goes to rural Thailand where the Thai welfare system takes care so well of the poor.

We will never be able to change what the Thai government wants. What they want is far from normal considering where we are. It is unrealistic and unreasonable. If you look at the "Big Mac" index, you will see my reasoning. If you cannot see the unreasonableness of it you are clearly not well read. Just as closing the bars at midnight was, just as the Thai elite card, just as the asian crises a few years ago. All great ideas half though through.

And please for a forum that has people such as Sunbelt Asia advertising businesses, I find it unprofessional for a moderator to be so uncouth at the best of times with poster's who are angry and frustrated. Where is you diplomacy?

By the way, could someone please show me where foreigners become a burden to the Thai government.

1. It means they get kicked out for not having the correct paper work. They should find a reputable school rather than enourage employers to break the law.

2. No, it will encourage english schools to raise their standards. To be eligible for a WP the school will actually need to find qualified teachers who meet department of education and dept of labours requirements. Like with anything, if you pay peanut fees to a school to teach you english, you get monkeys for teachers.

3. I wish most of them would go home. The place is a Sh*thole which needs to be blown up.

4. Bugger, didn't realise that the entire Thai economy would be a moribund heap if it wasn't for those heroic poverty packers "saving" Thailand and the Thai economy. God bless them for their heroic efforts. Next time the IMF and the world bank come and interview my old manager about the state of the Thai economy, I'll refer him to point 4 in this last post.

Sorted.

I for one would love to know, why are you all slagging each other? I think we should be helping each other? lets get this subject back on the thread. Just get your act together, have the requirement by law. I know its not that hard to do, I am not mega rich. COME ON :D

I should add, not a qualified teacher. I can however speak good Manchester, I have many well qualified Thai teachers requesting my services. What a load of???

who will pay for WPs for so called qualified English teachers FY you are the one who should wake up mate. :o

Oh well nothing seems to have changed so here goes. Can any a winger out there whose chosen to hang his hat in LOS share their past, that is, how is it possible to enter into a realm of uncertainty (34yrs has i've known it) and then have the neck not to accept the consequences. The blind and/or deaf or any misguided soul excluded no offence.

man... keeping a healthy marriage is hard already, now we're talking intercultural marriage...and THIS too?!?!   No wonder Nana is such a hot spot.  

anyway, british accent is sexy, give them a little break.  ;-)

Don't tell us ... tell Dr Thaksin or the Immigration heavies in Soi Suan Phlu. They make the rules.

What isn't clear from this article is whether or not it is necessary to pony up an "additional" 400k thb whenever you renew your non immigrant visa. I would put it past them to require another each renewal.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. These new laws are just crazy. A lot of people might well argue that 'this is their country and they can do what they like', but if a Thai man who makes a considerably smaller income per month than a foreigner can support himself and his family, then why do the laws have to be different?

I too will be writing to Tony Blair and the UN Human Rights Commision. If enough of us join hands over this then hopefully it can be resolved.

Robert

I've said it before and I'll say it again. These new laws are just crazy. A lot of people might well argue that 'this is their country and they can do what they like', but if a Thai man who makes a considerably smaller income per month than a foreigner can support himself and his family, then why do the laws have to be different?

I too will be writing to Tony Blair and the UN Human Rights Commision. If enough of us join hands over this then hopefully it can be resolved.

Robert

Dont make me laugh. Do you really think Mr. Bliar care about Thailand rules for visa.

Royar2002, Try and think on the positive, Look at it as a means of protecting the farlang or did your mother's not warn you about foreigners. Personally i think it very thoughtful of khun PM for one has to look no further than this board to establish there are many in need of protection. It's a cheap insurance policy so take heed wanabee settlers.

Thanks again Doc.

Please dont get me wrong, I do have the money and I will gladly deposit it for the chance to live full time in the country I love more than my own ( America ). However it would be nice to at least collect interest on the amount.  Or shares of AIS would be good too.....Or a few rounds of free golf.

I don't recall anything that said you couldn't collect interest (as little as that is these days) or even have it in a stock brokers account, nor I have seen anything that says you can't pull money out. As a matter of fact, I seem to recall seeing something from Thai Immigration that said just the opposite, they would be more suspicious if the money was untouched all year.

Other then this proven inaccurate UK newspaper article, there is no place that I have seen that is saying the amount is frozen.

Did I miss something?

TH

i agree TH. frozen accounts is wording used for the worst of the worst. usually chaps who are involved in drugs and other naughty goings on. the way the thread was started is quite poor, the posting in some way implies a negative tone to the sanctum of marriage.

however hope they scrap the idea of a minimum deposit amount in account needed to conclude the debacle. we should have a raid on local policeman's houses and see what is stashed. so i'm saying freeze police officers accounts and my guess is these are the real perpetrators. oh how unethical of me to suggest otherwise.

Thaimee.

Royar, you are obviously not only stupid but your grammar needs working on also.

Do I think that Tony Blair cares about Thai visas? Probably not. Do I think that if mine was the only letter he received, that he would do anything about it? Probably not, also. But I am sure there will be thousands of similar complaints finding their ways to him, Royar. Also, yes I do think he gives a ###### about his citizens being broken up from their families by stupid, arrogant and unfair rules.

Mark my words, repurcussions WILL come about because of Thailand's new visa rules.

By the way, if you want to reply to this then make sure that your grammar is correct next time. How old are you, eight years old?

WHAT A CROCK OF KRAPP,,,,,,,,After recently being told that I would no longer be able to get 60 day tourist VISAs unless I deposited 200,000 baht in a thai bank..... My reply was It is my understanding that on a tourist VISA one is not allowed to have a bank account??????? So then I asked what to do when I get married in july and I was told I would need to deposit 375,000 baht if I was married just to get a tourist VISA of 60 days..... Then was told I can get a letter from the U.S. EMBASSY that says I can support myself to which Im checking into,,,,,,, from what I was told you pay 50 dollars and write a note saying your not broke and the EMBASSY signs it and says yea hes not broke and you dont need even a bank statement.....

Now I dont think this effects the 30 day tourist VISAs and im not even sure if you were red flagged at one checkpoint that they are capeable of contacting say K.L. or POIPET or somthing to red flag you there.... Point being that One can probably live of 30 day VISAs but its a pain in the backside.

To make any comparison between getting a U.S. VISA and a THAI VISA is just flat stupid,,,,,,,, I want to know how many guys from Las Vegas moved to THAILAND to be bus boys and dish washers in PATTAYA so they could send their money home to support their AMERICAN family,,,,,, This goes out to the rest of you guys and your home countrys too.

Personaly im building a new house in ALASKA so when they finally kick my arsssee out of the most perfect and clean and incorruptable and fair country in the world I can go home and cry......

Mai Krap, that was one of the most decent and to the point posts that I have seen so far, concerning these new visa rules. Excellent entry, please keep them up to let all of the other people out there who love to call us complainers, know that they want their heads examining.

Robert

To make any comparison between getting a U.S. VISA and a THAI VISA is just flat stupid,,,,,,,,

q THEN CALL ME STUPID ,the comparison is that FOREIGNERS WANT THEM . what makes you think the u.s is so <deleted>***NG special ?????????????