Robert Stigwood, music and film mogul, dead at 81

webfact

Robert Stigwood, music and film mogul, dead at 81
Thomson Reuters

Working first for Beatles manager Epstein, Stigwood branched out to achieve music, film success

NEW YORK: -- Australian-born music mogul Robert Stigwood, who managed the Bee Gees at the height of their fame and guided musician Eric Clapton's successful solo career while producing musicals for the stage, has died aged 81, friends said on Tuesday.

The announcement of his death was made on Facebook by Spencer Gibb, a son of Bee Gees band member Robin Gibb.

Further details about his death were not immediately available.

"I would like to share the sad news with you all, that my godfather, and the longtime manager of my family, Robert Stigwood, has passed away," Gibb wrote.

Full story: http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/robert-stigwood-obit-1.3389531

-- CBCnews 2016-01-05

Robert Stigwood, Entrepreneur of Rock and Film, Is Dead at 81
By BEN SISARIO
International New York Times

NEW YORK: -- Robert Stigwood, the Australian-born producer, personal manager and music executive whose blockbuster hits with the Bee Gees and work on the films “Saturday Night Fever” and “Grease” made him one of the most successful impresarios of the 1970s, has died. He was 81.

Spencer Gibb, a son of Robin Gibb, one of the three brothers who made up the Bee Gees, confirmed the death in a Facebook post, calling Mr. Stigwood his godfather and “the longtime manager of my family,” but not saying when or where he died.

For most of the 1970s, Mr. Stigwood had a golden touch in music, theater and film, recognizing early on the cross-promotional power of pop music and theatrical spectacle. He managed the Bee Gees and Eric Clapton, had producing credits on “Saturday Night Fever” (1977) and “Grease” (1978), and released multiplatinum soundtracks to those films on his label, RSO.

Full story: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/05/arts/music/robert-stigwood-entrepreneur-of-rock-and-film-is-dead-at-81.html

-- New York Time 2016-01-05