4-year-old Russian Boy badly bitten by Monkey on Pattaya Island

webfact

4-year-old Russian Boy badly bitten by Monkey on Pattaya Island

monkey-1.jpg?fit=610%2C393

PATTAYA: -- Medics transported a 4-year-old Russian Boy from Larn Island to a Hospital in Pattaya on Tuesday Morning after he sustained a serious monkey bite to his leg.

The incident occurred at Nuan Beach on Larn Island, which is famous for its monkey population. The young boy was with his family at the time and was feeding the monkeys when a dominant male monkey, thought to be a pack leader, arrived and attempted to steal food from other monkeys.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/220383/4-year-old-russian-boy-badly-bitten-by-monkey-on-pattaya-island/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2016-01-05

Monkeys belong where they are. Not humans

Never feed wild monkeys.

Monkeys are dangerous. Stay away from them. They are not cute and cuddly.

Yes, rabies is a concern. There are still only a handfull of countries that are Rabies free and Thailand is not one of them.

The problem is that it is very hard to determine if an animal has rabies in its early stages.

I have had to get rabies shots twice in my life. 1st time as a kid after I had been playing with a puppy owned by a friend of my parents. The dog got sick a few days later.

My parents, my sister and I had to get the shots. 2nd time was here in Thailand after I was bitten by a cat and it sank its teeth in.

I got 4 shots over a period of a month and I carry a card that states I need a last boster if I get bitten again. It does not even have to be a bite. Getting licked on a scratch you might have is enough.

Rabies is a terrible way to die. Look it up on the internet.

I hope the kid gets better but I have no sympathy for people who get bitten by wild animals. Be it mammal or reptile.

They are not for dicking around with.

Monkeys belong where they are. Not humans

Never feed wild monkeys.

Monkeys are dangerous. Stay away from them. They are not cute and cuddly.

Yes, rabies is a concern. There are still only a handfull of countries that are Rabies free and Thailand is not one of them.

The problem is that it is very hard to determine if an animal has rabies in its early stages.

I have had to get rabies shots twice in my life. 1st time as a kid after I had been playing with a puppy owned by a friend of my parents. The dog got sick a few days later.

My parents, my sister and I had to get the shots. 2nd time was here in Thailand after I was bitten by a cat and it sank its teeth in.

I got 4 shots over a period of a month and I carry a card that states I need a last boster if I get bitten again. It does not even have to be a bite. Getting licked on a scratch you might have is enough.

Rabies is a terrible way to die. Look it up on the internet.

I hope the kid gets better but I have no sympathy for people who get bitten by wild animals. Be it mammal or reptile.

They are not for dicking around with.

Thailand is #3 on the list of world countries with rabies infections. Many tour companies advice their clients in take 2 preventive shots before arriving in Thailand. Any small bite from a soi dog requires the vaccination program...long and expensive. Any wild animal attacking without a reason may have the infection. Monkeys, rats, squirrels, etc.

Edited by BKResort

Evil little bastards (the monkeys). Let 'em fend for themselves, stop feeding them and maybe people won't get bitten.

I agree. Monkeys in temple grounds and other places where they are fed look unhealthy and are often ill-behaved. By contrast, forest monkeys like e.g. in Khao Yai National Park where there are signs telling visitors not to feed them look very healthy and are very well-behaved.

The problem is not the monkey but the ignorance of the people feeding them. The monkeys were behaving as monkeys behave, competing for food and establishing/maintaining their hierarchy.

The 4 year old cannot be expected to know this but the parents possibly should.