Vision Exam Saga...Parts II & III.

bangmai

For my second attempt to get an up to date eyeglass prescription, I went to the highly touted, and often TVF recommended optician close to UN Cafe. They refused to do a basic eye exam, when I told them I would be ordering online, but was willing to pay a fair price for an exam. Maybe that is something they started for high season. Not a customer in the store; four employees.

For my third attempt, I went into an optician located to the back of KSK. I asked how much for an eye exam. I thought she said "three," but actually she was saying "free." I stated that I may not be buying glasses at this time, and it was still "free." Got on the machine. Gives numbers like 1.75....the ones I have been wearing fine for 4 years are 1.0......then he does more of a manual check, and determines that I am actually a .5, which means my eyes have improved, which does happen. He wads up the computer printout like a piece of garbage. I explained to him that my hat size is 7 5/8, therefore my glasses are on the large side, including a 19 mm nose bridge, and 135 mm temples. The largest they have for nose bridge is 18 mm, in the entire store. He didn't even attempt to sell me a pair of glasses. After reading a few other reports on botched prescriptions, I am thinking these machines are way out of calibration, so be warned. I'll be sticking with my four year old prescription, from the US, for now.

Just buy the glasses from the guy with the shop on Ratchadameon near Moonmuang. I can't remember the name now but the owner is absolutely the best and his equipment is state of the art. The best glasses prescription I've ever had is from him. Not a chance his equipment is out of calibration - he's a stickler. Price are reasonable and frames are genuine. They may have knock-offs too if you ask for them - I don't know.

All "Autorefractors" (the machine used by most Thai "optician" shops) to determine lens prescriptions have a known error rate. These machines will only provide an approximation of what prescription is needed.

The only means of securing an accurate personal prescription is to undergo subjective refraction which must be undertaken by a qualified professional. Most of the "optician" shops do not employ such professions.

Make sure your eyes are examined by a professional not a shop girl.

Just buy the glasses from the guy with the shop on Ratchadameon near Moonmuang. I can't remember the name now but the owner is absolutely the best and his equipment is state of the art. The best glasses prescription I've ever had is from him. Not a chance his equipment is out of calibration - he's a stickler. Price are reasonable and frames are genuine. They may have knock-offs too if you ask for them - I don't know.

He went in with an attitude of give me a free examination.

He told him he was not going to buy from him.

I wonder if he goes in to the bars and asks for a free sample.

All "Autorefractors" (the machine used by most Thai "optician" shops) to determine lens prescriptions have a known error rate. These machines will only provide an approximation of what prescription is needed.

The only means of securing an accurate personal prescription is to undergo subjective refraction which must be undertaken by a qualified professional. Most of the "optician" shops do not employ such professions.

Make sure your eyes are examined by a professional not a shop girl.

The guy who owns the shop on Ratchadaemon does not use an autorefractor. He uses a custom rig that is driven by his computer - I believe a high-end Mac.

Edited by elektrified

I went to the shop near the UN Irish Pub too. The first thing he told me was 'go buy your glasses in the States. They are much cheaper there.' I told him that I would consider that, but if he had what I wanted at the right price I'd buy from him. I asked him the price of the exam and he told me it would be free if I bought the glasses from him, or 500 baht if I did not.

He began his exam (after testing for glaucoma) on the big machine, which dialed in some numbers. He then took those numbers and built a pair of 'try-glasses' by dropping in different lenses. He continued to change lenses and settings, based on my responses to his questions reading the letters on the board. Once that was perfect (or in the case of my right eye, better than 'perfect,') he began tests for color and depth perception, and reading powers for the bifocal lenses that I wanted.

Although his prices for frames and glasses were more than I would pay in the States or on line, I went ahead and had him grind a pair for me.

I have never been happier with a pair of glasses. The ones he made for me based on his exam are prefect in all respects. My eyes are too valuable to me to dick around about costs.

I spoke to the lady, but saw the man in the background, who appeared to be the Optometrist. The lady was all sales, and already trying to sell me on optional scratch coating, before I restated "how much for an exam?"

I have been given bum prescriptions by the docs at Bumrungrad several times. I finally got a good prescription from an optical shop in Central Chidlom. The technician was very patient using his machine switching between combinations of lenses and confirming which was better or worse. He finally arrived at a prescription and made up dummy pairs of glasses for me to try. The prescription is now spot-on and I recently had a set of premium Hoya lenses made by a shop in Central Word that are the clearest I've ever had.

I have been given bum prescriptions by the docs at Bumrungrad several times. I finally got a good prescription from an optical shop in Central Chidlom. The technician was very patient using his machine switching between combinations of lenses and confirming which was better or worse. He finally arrived at a prescription and made up dummy pairs of glasses for me to try. The prescription is now spot-on and I recently had a set of premium Hoya lenses made by a shop in Central Word that are the clearest I've ever had.

What was the cost of the flight from Chiang Mai?

I went to the shop near the UN Irish Pub too. The first thing he told me was 'go buy your glasses in the States. They are much cheaper there.' I told him that I would consider that, but if he had what I wanted at the right price I'd buy from him. I asked him the price of the exam and he told me it would be free if I bought the glasses from him, or 500 baht if I did not.

He began his exam (after testing for glaucoma) on the big machine, which dialed in some numbers. He then took those numbers and built a pair of 'try-glasses' by dropping in different lenses. He continued to change lenses and settings, based on my responses to his questions reading the letters on the board. Once that was perfect (or in the case of my right eye, better than 'perfect,') he began tests for color and depth perception, and reading powers for the bifocal lenses that I wanted.

Although his prices for frames and glasses were more than I would pay in the States or on line, I went ahead and had him grind a pair for me.

I have never been happier with a pair of glasses. The ones he made for me based on his exam are prefect in all respects. My eyes are too valuable to me to dick around about costs.

I was there this morning, waited 2 minutes to see him, and would never consider going anywhere else.Have purchased new glasses there,twice, and also had news lens scanned into in the old frame, at his suggestion, a saving I appreciated. This morning he confirmed, after extensive testing, that my cateracts were in intermediate stage and new lens would only be a marginal improvement. I for one appreciate his honesty and professionalism and have referred many people to him who have the same high opinion.At some franchise operations they would have been pushing me to get new glasses.

I've been to the optician by the UN Cafe at least times intending to make a purchase but have yet to do so. Not impressed at all.

Why ??? ok the staff are not fluent in English but he's the best around and his staff ,he told me this morning, have been with him for a long ,long time.

In fact he said he was ready to retire but felt an obligation to keep the place going for them.He knows I have refererred many people to him but he's looking to slow down a mite.

I spoke to the lady, but saw the man in the background, who appeared to be the Optometrist. The lady was all sales, and already trying to sell me on optional scratch coating, before I restated "how much for an exam?"

You seem to have an extraordinary number of problems doing day to day business with people. Why did you not ask for the owner/manager ? saying "please" can help sometimes too.

The staff are not fluent in English. The owner is.

Looks like he offered to pay?

I've been to the optician by the UN Cafe at least times intending to make a purchase but have yet to do so. Not impressed at all.

Why ??? ok the staff are not fluent in English but he's the best around and his staff ,he told me this morning, have been with him for a long ,long time.

In fact he said he was ready to retire but felt an obligation to keep the place going for them.He knows I have refererred many people to him but he's looking to slow down a mite.

This sounds more like a: "I paid triple, but they held my hand like a four year-old." Do you even know the difference between Optometrist and Ophthalmologist? Did you happen to notice the number of people stating they've gotten bad prescriptions in Thailand?

You went to the Vision Center. The man in there is very good.

In Thailand the eye tests are usually free providing the customer buys lens and frames from the same optician. I would never go into an opticians and expect an eye test without purchasing glasses from the same place. That`s not how it`s done in Thailand.

I DO have one complaint about the shop near the UN Irish Pub... They don't accept credit cards. Business is cash only. Normally I would have balked at this, but I had so many excellent recommendations about the place that I went along with the practice.

That is the ONLY complaint I have. In all other respects, I received excellent, professional service and merchandise.

He seems a bit young for retirement; no doubt he could afford an early one...

The first time I went there he also tried to get me to go to my car and retrieve my old junk glasses I bought at Top Charoen in Bangkok, so that he could inspect the frames and see if they could be utilized and save me money. I was so ashamed of the junkers that I refused, as I had fully intended to buy new frames anyway.

Yes, cash only. That surprised me.

Based on some of the posts describing the owner, it seems he may not have been present, when I visited the store last Tuesday morning. The only male was about 40-45 yo. It sure wouldn't be the first business to be undermined by its employees, when they aren't being babysat. It did cross my mind to bypass the c--- and talk to him, but he seemed to be fully aware of what was going on.

Sorry to hear that the OP struck out again. Shopping can be an uneven business, and two persons can have completely different experiences at the same shop.

The place near UN Irish is "Soon Sai Da" or Vision Center. After reading positive reviews here for a long time, and having been disappointed by the large chain shops like Top Charoen, Beautiful, TK Optic, I recently gave the Vision Center a try. It was one of the best retail experiences I've had in Thailand for a long time. The saleslady was friendly and helpful, and provided good guidance on choosing frames for my face. There was no hard sell or upselling, and I negotiated a nice discount. The owner gave me a thorough exam and explained what he was measuring at each step. They ground the lenses and set up the frames in 30 minutes while I had a bite to eat nearby. I was so satisfied I went back a couple of weeks later for reading glasses to use with contacts, and enjoyed the same good service and discount.

It's the kind of old-school Thai business that is becoming harder to find in the age of chain stores and complex distribution systems. Knowledgeable owner on the premises, pride in the product, accountability, and demonstrated concern for the customer. (Nana Screw is in the same category.)

Based on some of the posts describing the owner, it seems he may not have been present, when I visited the store last Tuesday morning. The only male was about 40-45 yo. It sure wouldn't be the first business to be undermined by its employees, when they aren't being babysat. It did cross my mind to bypass the c--- and talk to him, but he seemed to be fully aware of what was going on.

The owner IS very young looking. I pegged him to be in his early 50's but I'm sure he's older. Regardless, his English is excellent, even colloquial at times, and is very patient in his examination, stopping to cross-check and verify each step. Most of the chains, and even Chiang Mai Ram only use the machines when I've been tested, reading off the Rx results from that rather than verifying with the drop-in lenses and try-glasses.

Vision Center also gets the thumbs up from me - I went there for an eye test and to buy a pair of glasses as my glasses are getting a bit old. The owner gave me an eye test, said my eye sight matched my glasses and then wouldn't charge me for the eye test.

My wife was with me and decided she wanted an eye test and he wouldn't charge her either

The owner seems a really good guy - he could have easily sold us two pairs of glasses that weren't needed

Edited by narkeddiver

Vision Center also gets the thumbs up from me - I went there for an eye test and to buy a pair of glasses as my glasses are getting a bit old. The owner gave me an eye test, said my eye sight matched my glasses and then wouldn't charge me for the eye test.

My wife was with me and decided she wanted an eye test and he wouldn't charge her either

The owner seems a really good guy - he could have easily sold us two pairs of glasses that weren't needed

He refused to charge my wife for her eye test also. She insisted she needed glasses and he insisted she didn't. it was a bit of a stand off for a couple of minutes. He's definitely a really good guy. It seems from reports on this forum that he refuses to sell a number of people glasses as he doesn't think they need new ones.

He refused to charge my wife for her eye test also. She insisted she needed glasses and he insisted she didn't. it was a bit of a stand off for a couple of minutes. He's definitely a really good guy. It seems from reports on this forum that he refuses to sell a number of people glasses as he doesn't think they need new ones.

I didn't include in my post that this week that after a 20 minute consultation,testing etc where he told me new glasses would not help me because of oncomingcatarcats and the affect of my diabetes on vision he refused to take any payment. Now 20 minutes of many years of professional experience, explanation of current and potential vision problems and the equipment to back it up and no charge. Would you get that anywhere else? I doubt it, Feel thankful he is available and if you have a problem with his staff or his professionalism well go somewhere else.Any franchise like Charoen will give you a free test but Ive been down that road and the end result was total failure and a waste of money. He does look far younger than his age and is nearly always in the testing room.

2nd sentence. He offered to pay for the eye examination.