Chaengwattana Immigration - doing 2 things at once

I need to go to Chaengwattana and it will be my first visit.

I need to 1. transfer stamps from old to new passport & 2. apply for extension of non-O visa (also the first time I have done this).

My specific question is - does anyone know if I can turn up, get one queue number and do both things at the same time at the same desk? Or will I need to queue to do one and then queue to do the other?

Many thanks in advance.

I just did this last month. You will need to que up twice. The transactions are completely separate with different forms. Arrive at CW immigration around 9am and should be finished by 3pm max. No fee is required for transferring stamps. Non O renewal is 1900 baht. I also always get a multi-entry visa which costs 3900 baht. And requires another que.

You cannot renew your Non-O Visa. You can get a one-year extension of stay if you meet the qualifications. Your visa will be cancelled whan you get your extension of stay. Be sure to get a single or multiple re-entry permit if you plan on leaving the country during your one-year extension of stay since you will no longer have a visa. Do you know if you meet the qualifications for an extension of stay?

I was there yesterday for similar purpose. You need 2 queue numbers. First one is to get your current visa transferred to your new passport. Once that done you need to get another queue number for extension of your Non-O visa. You didn't say what your extension is for. Could be 1 year extension based on retirement, married to Thai, investment, education or some other reason? Anyway just be sure to have all your copies and originals in hand (such as bank book with letter from bank, marriage certificate, house book, etc depending on what your reason for extension is). Yes, it will take you several hours. Don't miss your queue number or you start over.

Has anyone been told by Immigration that they in fact have to transfer their old visa, or extension of stay (or multiple-entry visa), into a new passport before getting a new visa/extension/permit in their new passport? It seems to me pointless to transfer your stamps if you are about to get new ones in your new passport. You are just transferring stamps that will expire in a matter of minutes when replaced. I know the general view of expats on this site is that it is important to get the old stamps transferred but I have yet to hear of anyone who has been required to do it if not travelling out of the country, especially on the same day that they are getting new ones to replace them. Any experience?

Cheers

TG

Has anyone been told by Immigration that they in fact have to transfer their old visa, or extension of stay (or multiple-entry visa), into a new passport before getting a new visa/extension/permit in their new passport? It seems to me pointless to transfer your stamps if you are about to get new ones in your new passport. You are just transferring stamps that will expire in a matter of minutes when replaced. I know the general view of expats on this site is that it is important to get the old stamps transferred but I have yet to hear of anyone who has been required to do it if not travelling out of the country, especially on the same day that they are getting new ones to replace them. Any experience?

Cheers

TG

The stamps have to be transferred before they do the extension.

One of the main reasons is they will do a stamp with info about the visa you used to get the permit to stay you have been extending along with the entry/permit to stay stamp obtained with that visa. They will also transfer your current extension to the new passport.

Visas are not transferred. If you have a valid visa you have to use both passports on entry to use the visa in the old passport.

I was there yesterday for similar purpose. You need 2 queue numbers. First one is to get your current visa transferred to your new passport. Once that done you need to get another queue number for extension of your Non-O visa. You didn't say what your extension is for. Could be 1 year extension based on retirement, married to Thai, investment, education or some other reason? Anyway just be sure to have all your copies and originals in hand (such as bank book with letter from bank, marriage certificate, house book, etc depending on what your reason for extension is). Yes, it will take you several hours. Don't miss your queue number or you start over.

Just to be clear, do the two queue numbers take you to two different waiting areas and two different procedures/offices? Can the officer who will be issuing your new stamps not also transfer the old ones first?

TG

Cheers

TG

Yes just did it, they transfer the old extension to new passport.

THEN put in the new one.

Bloody waste of pages in new passport.

BUT this is Thailand.

Thanks all. Not the news I wanted to hear but good to know.

I am extending based on marriage. As my wife will be coming with me and she is 6 months pregnant I am thinking I might go beforehand and do the transfers and then go again with her and do the extension. It means 2 visits for me but means she will hopefully be hanging around for less time.

I meet the qualifications, if anyone can definitively confirm the documents needed at CW that would be a tremendous help. I believe I need:

TM7 form

Copy of data page and stamp page in passport

Marriage reg KR2

Marriage cert KR3

Translation of my freedom to marry from embassy

Wife's ID

Wife's tabien baan

Wife's name change certificate

My income proof

Lease as proof of address

Photos of us at home

Map to home

Did I miss anything?

Thanks all!!

Cheers

TG

Yes just did it, they transfer the old extension to new passport.

THEN put in the new one.

Bloody waste of pages in new passport.

BUT this is Thailand.

Thanks for the info. Did you have to go to two different waiting areas and two different offices for the transfer of old stamps and then issue of new ones? Or did the officer who issued your new stamps also transfer the old ones first?

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE - I had my old visa and entry stamp details and my extension processed by one officer in one visit to a desk and with one queue number.

I told the lady in the queue number queue that I had two tasks to do and she just directed me to the O visa section.

Arrived about 7.45, done by 10.15.

• Like 1