Building a house-Advice needed

I'm beginning to think you are schizophrenic. Sometimes your posts are very sensible, other times it's <deleted>?facepalm.gif

I don't think I've ever posted throwing money away is a good idea.

Which is effectively what building in a rural Thai village is doing.

Even the villagers wouldn't live there if they had a choice.

Any building there is valueless because,

No work, no money, no school, no medical, no roads, no buyers, no hope.

Now if you had posted, 'I gave her 600,000bht to build on her family land in Chiang Mai'

That would be a completely different matter, as it would benefit her and her children.

That property would have resale value, decent schools for her kids, good hospitals, good infrastructure & employment opportunities.

But Issan people don't want to live in noisy,polluted,crowded CM. or Bangkok or Pattaya.They are happy to live with their friends and family.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We built a nice house in my wife's village in Ubon. We lived there for 2 years then moved to Bangkok and now the UK so the house is sat empty. At the time it seemed like a good idea cuz we were pregnant so it would always be there for them in the future but at the moment the place is virtually abandoned and is just a hassle for her dad to look after and maintain for nothing. We also pay a cleaner to go round once a week cuz being out in the countryside it's dusty and gets full of insects quickly.

Overall it was a massive waste of money. My kids will never live in Isaan. Maybe in 30 years I will retire to there but by then the place will probably be ruined with age. Also, we can never sell it because Thais don't buy 2nd hand houses and we'll probably never find any expat who wants to live out there.

Like someone else said, young Thais primarily want houses, cars and gold just for face. My wife's sister lives in Bangkok and cannot drive but her and her husband are trying to get a bank loan so she can buy a new car to leave in Isaan just to show everyone how well they are doing. Bonkers.

Save your money to look after your real family, or give it all away forever to your new wife. You buy her a new house you will give her the means to leave you and live by herself in her house, this will get brought up and threatened at every argument you have.

So the women he marries is not his "real"family.If you go into it with that attitude you deserve to be done over.Just because you were a fool doesn't mean the rest of us are.

We built a nice house in my wife's village in Ubon. We lived there for 2 years then moved to Bangkok and now the UK so the house is sat empty. At the time it seemed like a good idea cuz we were pregnant so it would always be there for them in the future but at the moment the place is virtually abandoned and is just a hassle for her dad to look after and maintain for nothing. We also pay a cleaner to go round once a week cuz being out in the countryside it's dusty and gets full of insects quickly.

Overall it was a massive waste of money. My kids will never live in Isaan. Maybe in 30 years I will retire to there but by then the place will probably be ruined with age. Also, we can never sell it because Thais don't buy 2nd hand houses and we'll probably never find any expat who wants to live out there.

Like someone else said, young Thais primarily want houses, cars and gold just for face. My wife's sister lives in Bangkok and cannot drive but her and her husband are trying to get a bank loan so she can buy a new car to leave in Isaan just to show everyone how well they are doing. Bonkers.

Save your money to look after your real family, or give it all away forever to your new wife. You buy her a new house you will give her the means to leave you and live by herself in her house, this will get brought up and threatened at every argument you have.

So the women he marries is not his "real"family.If you go into it with that attitude you deserve to be done over.Just because you were a fool doesn't mean the rest of us are.

How was I done over?

He has 4 children and a new young Thai wife. Who is his real family? His blood obviously. Not believing this and giving your estate away to a young new wife is a cause to getting "done over"

Just my two cents worth ...... to me it shows greed and insecurity within the relationship.

more like a business proposition .... in that you always want some ownership of the building.

If I was the wife, I would probably resent the requirement and look elsewhere for company .... tongue.png

Being in a similar situation I will not give advice but I indicate you the solution that seemed me the least bad for this project.

Currently I am building a house of village on parents land who should normally belong one day to my wife.

We have established a 30-year lease in my name. + additional 30 years unless terminated by me only. Monthly rent 1000 baht.

The House also in my name is built by the craftsmen of the village led by the father in law. The price is incredibly low: 700 000 b for a construction copied on this model.

Work funded by steps of 150,000.

I know that this arrangement is not perfect but the risk seems small compared of legitimate security provided to my sweet wife who will could live happily among her own people after me.

And i who thought you can only lease valid for30 years. That agreements like30+30+30 aint valid. Perhaps you are already sacked:)