Local Contacts

Mobaan

Hi oldtimers /longtimers

We will be coming to Phuket around the 20 th of May to check out the scene and look for housing possibilities for a move in November .

As advised in other parts of this forum we want to concentrate on the Chalong area.

Questions:

Can you recommend any hotels /guesthouses in this area were we could stay for a week or so-we do not really want to break the bank ,but dont want to live in a rathole either!!

Would any of you locals have time and inclination to share you knowledge of the local scene over a few drinks-my treat.

It would be nice if we could also meet your better halves ,so Khun wifie can chat with her about the girlie stuff.

I am 55 ,Phang is 45 ,I like motorbikes and scuba diving.Phang is into gardening. We want to find a nice social environment with a good mix of Thai and Farang .

Please contact me-here first -later you can write to me directly

JAY

You could try a little guest house place called "Lucky's Guest house" in Kata, easy enough to find and relativly cheap... i know a few people who stay there. They have rooms (very cheap 2-300baht a night) to small bungalow style accomodation for a bit more (around 600 a night i think). These prices maybe slightly out and with High season about to offically go the prices may slide a little.

Its in the heart of Kata, which is a bit of a "touristland" but isnt too bad, plenty of dive shops around. No really a "girlie" bar scene.

The long term accomodation in Kata isnt too good, price wise, youll be paying 15k a month for a small bungalow, if you head over towards Chalong/Rawai way you can get that down to around 10k a month.

Drop me a email/Private message and i'll be happy to share what limited knowledge i have of the island and maybe be able to put you in touch with a few more knowledgable people.

Welcome to Phuket, tis a lovely place

Well in opinion if you are thinking about living in Chalong you really need to stay there or at least very near it. Although Kata is a lovely place I think you'd be better off staying in Rawai/Nai Harn. There are plently of cheap (good) bungalows down in Rawai and its a good flat, straight road to Chalong whereas the road from Kata is a little hilly.

In my personal opinion you'd be better off looking for somewhere to live down in Rawai/Nai Harn its a much more friendly location with less traffic than Chalong. I lived in two different houses in Chalong and found it difficult to mix with the local community.

In Rawai there is a big expat community with a good selection of Farang type restaurants and bars, also good cheap Thai food. The locals are also very frendly even down to the village head man who lives just across the road from me. (Nai Harn)

If you need any help in finding somewhere or any other information please PM me.

If you would like to stay in a fancy hotel in the area then you should try the Evason Phuket which is in Rawai which is pretty close to Chalong.

Otherwise there are plenty of small guesthouses in Chalong.

Both Chalong and Rawai are great places to live and plenty of great restaurants like jimmy's lighthouse and Don's. I would say Chalong has more choise and know many Farang's who are very to happy to live there and have a good social life there. Rawai is a bot more laid back and fewer neighbours. Its all up to what you like.