Khon Kaen red in trouble over 3-finger salute

webfact

Khon Kaen red in trouble over 3-finger salute
WASAMON AUDJARINT,
JAKRAWAN SALAYTOO,
KAWINTRA JAISUE
THE NATION

Face 'attitude adjustment' after her 'anti-NCPO' gesture in pic with Yingluck.

KHON KAEN: -- A RED-SHIRT leader in Khon Kaen will be summoned to "adjust her attitude" after she raised three fingers in an anti-coup gesture while taking a picture with ex-PM Yingluck Shinawatra, an official said yesterday.

The red-shirt leader known as "Pa Was Mai Khon" was seen on Sunday taking the picture with Yingluck when she visited a plant fair in Khon Kaen. Security officials said the red-shirt leader's three-finger salute was an expression of opposition against the National Council for Peace and Order.

Meanwhile, Piyachai Nachai, 72 and Orathai Phosri, 42, two other red shirts in Khon Kaen, were summoned to the Sripatcharin military camp yesterday, as they were believed to have distributed calendars with pictures of Yingluck and her fugitive brother, the former PM Thaksin.

The move came after Yingluck and former Pheu Thai Party MPs visited temples and locals in Khon Kaen's Ban Pai district on Monday during the New Year long weekend in the Northeast.

Security officials seized over 10 calendars from Yingluck while she was having breakfast with supporters and signing autographs on the calendars.

Colonel Somchai Kanpachai, deputy commander of 23rd Military Circle, said people have the right to distribute the calendars but not at public or official functions or meetings.

He said Yingluck's signing autographs on the calendars was inappropriate because it looked like she was trying to raise her profile or popularity by carrying out such activities in public places.

"We do not want this as it may lead to political conflicts,'' he said.

Piyachai said she received 20 calendars from an ex MP and distributed them to people who she was acquainted with. She said she had no intention to cause political conflict.

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha, meanwhile, questioned yesterday whether it was appropriate for "the fugitive" to distribute calendars with photos of him.

"I am not saying that distributing calendars is right or wrong," Prayut said during a seven-minute briefing after a meeting of the Cabinet. "I am not politicising the issue,'' he said. "If he thinks he did not commit any offence then he should have come back to the country."

Shinawatra calendars 'a political act'

The premier was responding to reports that more than 10 calendars decorated with photos of Thaksin and Yingluck were seized in Khon Kaen's Ban Pai district on Monday.

The officers also stopped former Pheu Thai MPs from taking Yingluck to greet and give New Year gifts to villagers in the district.

On Sunday, Roi Et governor Anusorn Kaewkangwan instructed district |chiefs in the province to stop the |distribution of Shinawatra calendars, after 200 were allegedly given out by a political party coordinator before a meeting of local administrators last Wednesday.

"I am not blocking anyone. The security officials did what they had to because they knew an offence was committed,'' Prayut said.

In response to Pheu Thai's complaint to Prayut that Anusorn violated people's rights and acted with discrimination, the premier said: "Why do I have to address the petition? Is it a picture of a person who broke the law in the calendars? Do you want these calendars to be distributed? I am not their enemy but I am doing my duty," Prayut said.

Meanwhile, Interior Minister General Anupong Paochinda said that Anusorn stopped the calendars being given out on his own discretion because distributing them could be part of a political agenda.

Anupong said he personally believed the calendars could be given out if there was no political motive.

"We want the country to have political calmness. If any group wants to stir things up, we must have measures in place to ensure they can't do it,'' he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Khon-Kaen-red-in-trouble-over-3-finger-salute-30276217.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2016-01-06

I seem to remember that in my home country the Boy Scouts used a 3 finger style of salute raised to the side of the head so how do they do it here ?

If they use what I think is the recognised salute they might need to be careful as paranoia is in full flow these days.

Security officials said the red-shirt leader's three-finger salute was an expression of opposition against the National Council for Peace and Order.

Er.. so what? Do we all how to bow down and pledge allegiance to a bunch of generals who overthrew the elected government? I think not.

I seem to remember that in my home country the Boy Scouts used a 3 finger style of salute raised to the side of the head so how do they do it here ?

If they use what I think is the recognised salute they might need to be careful as paranoia is in full flow these days.

It is incredible the influence of movies like the hunger games have on folk.

Both on the protesters use of the sign and the establishments belief of its power.......................wink.png

Reality check required somewhere.

PATHETIC!!! I was hoping that Thailand was past this persecution of people for such things as a salute.

Question, is such a salute illegal under law? if so what number of statute is it? or simply the orders given by the junta to take people that do so?

What is with these people saying they are not blocking anyone but at the same time having people taken in for "attitude adjustments".

3 finger salutes and calanders bad, political and worthy of attitude adjustment.

200 nationalists led by a highly politicised monk, marching on the US embassy with poorly written offensive sign's good. No action taken.

The sheer hypocrisy just goes to show there's no reconciliation on this governments mind and why they refuse to go to polls. They know they'll lose miserably.

Thailand held world Boy Scout Jamboree in early 2000's. You might do an image search to find the various stamps issued, some showing the salute in front of Thai temples..... Do boy scouts here also use 3 finger salute? Did they have to change that? Imagine if you had industrial accident and lost index and pinky fingers....

Of course those calendars had a political motive behind them. But you have to admit this is great marketing by PTP - they print some cheap calendars and they get coverage worth millions of Baht. The top PTP leaders don't care if a few local PTP people gets in trouble, they are useful idiots just like the ultra nationalist monk and his followers.

It is amazing the government falls into this PR trap time after time. Why do they feel the need to go out full force in public every time PTP rears their head? Why do need to use so much energy on a non-issue, but I guess it is easy to understand like the price on lottery tickets. They talk so much BS on reconciliation - why don't they use this opportunity to reach out, hear out and respect the views of all.

The Serbians used a 3 finger salute when they were killing Muslims and putting the dead bodies in mass graves

Of course those calendars had a political motive behind them. But you have to admit this is great marketing by PTP - they print some cheap calendars and they get coverage worth millions of Baht. The top PTP leaders don't care if a few local PTP people gets in trouble, they are useful idiots just like the ultra nationalist monk and his followers.

It is amazing the government falls into this PR trap time after time. Why do they feel the need to go out full force in public every time PTP rears their head? Why do need to use so much energy on a non-issue, but I guess it is easy to understand like the price on lottery tickets. They talk so much BS on reconciliation - why don't they use this opportunity to reach out, hear out and respect the views of all.

"Why do they feel the need to go out full force in public every time PTP rears their head? Why do need to use so much energy on a non-issue, but I guess it is easy to understand like the price on lottery tickets."

Because they're understandably afraid of a population that I suspect the vast majority of see the junta for what it is (forum rules won't allow me to spell it out for you, but I'm sure you know already). They know that if they allow political gatherings and overt displays of dissent their time in power will soon come to an end.

"Colonel Somchai Kanpachai, deputy commander of 23rd Military Circle, said people have the right to distribute the calendars but not at public or official functions or meetings.

He said Yingluck's signing autographs on the calendars was inappropriate because it looked like she was trying to raise her profile or popularity by carrying out such activities in public places.

"We do not want this as it may lead to political conflicts,'' he said."

Sounds like you're making up the rules on the spot.

And, by the way, political opposition is how democracy works, and any person has a right to promote themself.

I may not like the Shins, but Yingluck has as much right to do what she's been told she can't do, as any other citizen. (until she's convicted, of course)

Edited by Seastallion

Security officials said the red-shirt leader's three-finger salute was an expression of opposition against the National Council for Peace and Order.

Er.. so what? Do we all how to bow down and pledge allegiance to a bunch of generals who overthrew the elected government? I think not.

Yes it's akin to a rapist hostage being asked to say "" I love you"" when being abused.

And through sheer delusion the rapist mid act starts to declare "" she loves me "" ( The Thai Nation) to all the world.

Those not in agreement while witnessing the horror ( democracy raped)

Are Taken to a back dungeon .( jail)

See attitude adjustment .

It's disgusting the west has anything to do with these creeps.

They are human rights abusers

Edited by Plutojames88

3 finger salutes and calanders bad, political and worthy of attitude adjustment.

200 nationalists led by a highly politicised monk, marching on the US embassy with poorly written offensive sign's good. No action taken.

The sheer hypocrisy just goes to show there's no reconciliation on this governments mind and why they refuse to go to polls. They know they'll lose miserably.

I agree, all this does is pointing up the bleedin' obvious (as Fawlty would say) in the real reason for the takeover from what, must be admitted, was an equally loathsome admin. IF Prayut had just started implementing the much needed reforms of, in particular, the judiciary/police, he'd have at least been given the benefit of the doubt by now. But after two years, little more than sunbeds and huge rise in LM cases. Not the sharpest tools in the box this bunch are they? But then again, neither were the last. Hubris? Perhaps it's true the people get the government they deserve. Ie the Scandinavians are doing okay ..

The "Richard potato" strikes again stifling freedom of speech and expression! And yet he still insists that he is upholding democracy! In the words of Oliver Cromwell addressing the Rump Parliament in April 1653, "you have been sat to long here for any good you have been doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you."

Er...yes. That is exactly what the Thai people are expected to do.

"We want the country to have political calmness. If any group wants to stir things up, we must have measures in place to ensure they can't do it,'' he said.

Stalin would have been proud !!

Prayut should turn it round on them and display the 3 fingered salute.

1/ Reform

2/ Reconciliation

3/ Peace (as the red thugs are no longer holding the nation at the barrel of an M79)

I am saddened that Prayut is following the red ethos that if you don't agree with us we will intimidate and threaten you. At least he is not directing violence at them like the reds SOP's dictates.

Edited by djjamie

Prayut should turn it round on them and display the 3 fingered salute.

1/ Reform

2/ Reconciliation

3/ Peace (as the red thugs are no longer holding the nation at the barrel of an M79)

My favorite antagonist still alive and well !!

And you still can't help yourself...................

Peace in a country with no free speech and where the whole nation is held hostage by paranoid generals, using not a a M79 but the whole Armed Forces to secure the future wealth of the dinosaurs aka The Elite..................