Netflix - streaming from outside Thailand

phetphet

I am currently in the UK, and am thinking of signing up for the Netflix one month free trial just prior to my return to Thailand.

I have an Apple TV in Thailand on a UK account, which has the Netflix app. I have never had any trouble to date streaming movies etc from my iTunes account, but BBC iPlayer is impossible. I believe due to either VPN, or limited bandwidth from International internet cables.

Am I likely to have the same problems trying to stream Netflix? I believe that I would also need a VPN to view Netflix UK, so I am wondering if it will be a non starter like iPlayer, especially with the international bottlenecks

For those of you that view Netflix from UK, how do you find the service viewing wise?

Thanks

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, you certainly can use your Netflix UK account with your Apple TV in Thai. I used https://www.unblock-us.com/ $9 p.m after the trial period. to provide my Apple TV with a Un-track able DNS setting.

The following is an idiots guide to setting you Apple TV up. Whilst it references Australia it works all over the world as I use to use a US Netflix account here in Thai.

Hope it helps

Thanks everyone.

I just did a search for Uno Telly vs Unblock.US. For anyone interested, here is one opinion: http://makesmarttv.net/unblock-us-vs-unotelly-which-ones-the-best-to-watch-your-favorite-us-shows/

Someone has told me that to stream to my tv, rather than my computer, I would probably need to install one of these services or VPN on my router. Anyone done that?

Back to Google for more research on this. :-)

Setting up Unotelly on a router is easy - you just change the DNS settings to point to their servers instead of your ISPs.

Some routers might not let you do this, but if so you can add another router and set the DNS on that one.

I see Netflix is now available in Thailand - recommended?

You saw this where, exactly?

Netflix is not available in Thailand.

Seems it's available almost everywhere as of today.

https://www.netflix.com/th/

I didn't read exact countries, but I came across this article this evening: http://www.androidcentral.com/netflix-expands-130-new-countries-including-india-russia-and-south-korea-and-more?utm_source=related&utm_medium=module&utm_campaign=nextv3

Setting up Unotelly on a router is easy - you just change the DNS settings to point to their servers instead of your ISPs.

Some routers might not let you do this, but if so you can add another router and set the DNS on that one.

Once you have set this up on your router, I presume it is hiding or changing your location. Is this likely to interfere with things such as internet banking? Or is there a way that you just switch it on and off as required? Or no problem at all?

I see Netflix is now available in Thailand - recommended?

You saw this where, exactly?

Netflix is not available in Thailand.

I received an Email from Netflix today offering their service in Thailand with a 1 month free trial.

Seems it's available almost everywhere as of today.

https://www.netflix.com/th/

Can anyone tell me how much it costs in Thailand (Im not currently there, so I get directed to my countrys page)?

Say's 1 month Free trial then from 280 baht per month......

Maybe will give it a try........... but have Kodi on my PC, Laptop and Android box for many years [was XBMC] far more TV than I can watch + All BBC and ITV + totally Free... can't see the point in paying for something that is perfectly good elsewhere for Free.

Subscription ... 280 BAHT (one screen, sd), 350 baht (2 screens, hd) and 420 baht (4 screens, hd/Ultra hd). I signed up for the 2nd option. Looks like hd. Previously used account of US friend with vpn (dd wrt). Watching it on tablet and xbox one.

Netflix does not compare to a 'free' stolen tv service on kodi. Actually Netflix is a on demand service while normal tv is not.

Edited by sniffdog

Subscription ... 280 BAHT (one screen, sd), 350 baht (2 screens, hd) and 420 baht (4 screens, hd/Ultra hd). I signed up for the 2nd option. Looks like hd. Previously used account of US friend with vpn (dd wrt). Watching it on tablet and xbox one.

Netflix does not compare to a 'free' stolen tv service on kodi. Actually Netflix is a on demand service while normal tv is not.

No idea about this Free stolen service... ? many come from Filmon, can also go direct to filmon.com/subscriptions....... SD is Free and HD is $14.99 per month..

With kodi there are more options, I find that if the picture is not good, then another Repo could well be fine, still using Filmon and same live channel.. do not need to use a VPN

I await more comments over the next week to hear from people that pay for the Netflix new Thailand service on there tv and also the ones that have the say astro or True boxers connected as well as to how they get on to gether and what problems they have faced. Only reply theses people please not the so called people with the uk connection oh there no problems. Remember this is Thailand and if any thing can go wrong it will.

I await the flares

This is coming up as a result of an announcement by Chief Executive Reed Hastings to counter slowing growth in the United States. The announcement was made Wednesday at the Consumer Electronic Show (CES) held annually in Las Vegas

Story here:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-tech-ces-netflix-idUSKBN0UK28Z20160106

A complete list of countries where Netflix is available is here:

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/14164

I would be interested in Netflix in Thailand...BUT, and heres the big but, presumably Netflix works only as good as the strength of the internet signal. now I have "ILikehdtv" for sports purposes, and despite paying for fiber optic etc to TOT, I still dont get a real flow of images, I get stuttering nearly all the time.

If Netflix would be the same, no point in having it, might as well stick to downloads etc which obviously play properly all the time.

Once you have set this up on your router, I presume it is hiding or changing your location. Is this likely to interfere with things such as internet banking? Or is there a way that you just switch it on and off as required? Or no problem at all?

It only intervenes to spoof your location on specific sites that require it to work - ie i.e. the streaming sites. The rest of your web traffic is unaffected.

My UK Netflix account is now working in Thailand, nice. always streamed easily over the VPN but now no need for that. i have not had time too see if all the UK content is available wile not using the VPN though.

Sadly, a quick look suggests the answer is 'no'.

I would be interested in Netflix in Thailand...BUT, and heres the big but, presumably Netflix works only as good as the strength of the internet signal. now I have "ILikehdtv" for sports purposes, and despite paying for fiber optic etc to TOT, I still dont get a real flow of images, I get stuttering nearly all the time.

If Netflix would be the same, no point in having it, might as well stick to downloads etc which obviously play properly all the time.

It depends whether they're providing servers within Thailand - if not, it'll still be subject to the limited international bandwidth that ISPs here offer.

The first impressions are very good. I can see a big difference between using a vpn supported us service and the local netflix service. On the us service it may take up to 1 minute or more before the content comes up. On the local service almost instant. Also the HD is good with no buffering at all. I have a pretty solid 16mbs True ADSL.

Edited by sniffdog

The first impressions are very good. I can see a big difference between using a vpn supported us service and the local netflix service. On the us service it may take up to 1 minute or more before the content comes up. On the local service almost instant. Also the HD is good with no buffering at all.

Yep just fired it up for the first time,excellent quality no buffering as one would expect as it is locally provided.

The days of paid TV are well and truly on their way out IMO with these far cheaper options.