Raging With Raja

I feel I have to get this off my chest.

This evening I arrived at Don Sak at 5pm, plenty of time I thought for the last ferry at 6pm. I just missed the cut off to be sure of getting on the boat and I was asked to wait to see if there would be enough room. I was first in line in the reserve queue. There were 4 cars behind me. We waited until 6.30 and were called forward. The guy spoke into his radio transmitter to someone, told them there was a car full of farangs and THEN said the boat was full. It was quite clear that I was told this because we were farangs. The 4 cars behind me were allowed on, all Thais.

I am disgusted with the treatment we received, particularly as my elderly parents were with me, here on a visit. They experienced first hand the racist attitude of Thai people. They were not impressed.

I will be making a special effort to use Seatrans in future.

Thats too bad. It could very well have been because you are a farang. But something else to consider is the people behind you could have been returning for a funeral, a seriously ill relative, etc. There could have been circumstances that required these people to get on ahead of what were perceived as "tourists".

Get real SBK, I find your version rather unlikely, if this was the case I'm sure they would have been given the correct explanation, sorry it’s just another clear case of racism.

:o:D Thanks for that. After 17 years of living in Thailand I am sure I need a reality check from you.

If you had read the entire post, perhaps you wouldn't be so quick to jump into your post. May I suggest next time, read the entire post?

It could very well have been because you are a farang.

To be fair, I have actually experienced this; being bumped for someone who has a family emergency, and have bumped people because of an emergency. Hence the thought that it could be a possibility. But if it makes you feel better to think that everyone hates you because you're a farang, go for it. :D

Never had a good experience with Raja, back in the day when they were the only car ferry they used to take the p*ss out of all their customers, Thai and Farang. Waited 9 hours once to get off samui in that horrible excuse for a ferry terminal.

Voted with my wheels long ago, Seatran every time for me

seatran is the only way to go if you are taking the ferry.

when raja were the only ferry , bumping was a common occurrence.

they used to have priority lines filled with pick ups full of gold encrusted local heavies and drunks.

6 and 7 hour waits on the mainland were not uncommon.

i am surprised that they didnt chain the falangs to the oars and bilge pumps and have them work their passage across to devils island. :o

a terrible company.

Howdy Forum.

I find that Raja is often quite f....d up. Seatran is, in my opinion, much more efficient.

Note that BOTH companies do often sell tickets in advance.

When you have such a ticket, you go to the reserve line and get on the boat pronto.

I always get the advanced tickets, you can buy them days ahead in either Samui or over the other side.

Then you just get there 20 minutes before departure and off you go. Drive right to end/top of line and you are in (or on).

I often get funny looks from both Thai and Farang drivers who, apparantly, do not know you can get advance tickets. They stare in horror, disbelief or disgust as I casually cruise to the top of the line depends on how long they have been baking in the sun.

Before I knew I could purchase advance tickets, I had in the past spent up to 11 hours waiting for a ferry at Rajah and once 6 hours waiting at Seatran.

I think it is not at all impossible that in fact the Thais who did get on ahead of the OP's car were advanced tickets or really did have important matters to attend to.

I doubt very much that it was a race based decision. I have lived here for over 12 years and get little if any race stuff thrown at me. Well, maybe a little bit now and then, but nuffin' bad.

Cheers

I think it is not at all impossible that in fact the Thais who did get on ahead of the OP's car were advanced tickets or really did have important matters to attend to.

Agree. Either more important matters or simply more important than those waiting (and there are plenty of situations where those waiting and 'passed over' will be Thais as well).

:o

Howdy Forum.

When you have such a ticket, you go to the reserve line and get on the boat pronto.

I always get the advanced tickets, you can buy them days ahead in either Samui or over the other side.

Can you please enlighten us all as to how you buy the advence tickets (for vehicles) , I have tried many times, and have been told that it is not possible.

With Raja I allways have to wait in line until a guy comes round (about 1 hour before the ferry is due to depart) with a card that I then exchange at the ticket office for a boarding ticket for my car.

bumping was a common occurrence.

Bumping is still a common occurence, with both ferry companies but especially Raja.

Howdy Forum.

Can you please enlighten us all as to how you buy the advence tickets (for vehicles) , I have tried many times, and have been told that it is not possible.

With Raja I allways have to wait in line until a guy comes round (about 1 hour before the ferry is due to depart) with a card that I then exchange at the ticket office for a boarding ticket for my car.

Bumping is still a common occurence, with both ferry companies but especially Raja.

With Raja,you simply buy a VIP ticket which is a return ticket.They only used to be available in Dongsak but can now bw purchased here.Seatran have advance ticketing available from their office or through some ATM machines,I just can't remember which bank.

Agree. Either more important matters or simply more important than those waiting (and there are plenty of situations where those waiting and 'passed over' will be Thais as well).

:D

Heng...what a nonsense !

If advanced paid tickets I can agree.....but:

WHO on earth is to decide whether someone has 'more important matters' to attend to? And WHO knows and decide WHAT is more important.........? :D

Some worker with the ferry-line? Don't make me laugh.

In fact you're saying that 'an employee' of the ferry-line is always asking to any of these (this case 5 cars) waiting cars.....

"hello sir, can you please tell me if your 'passage' is important.....can you tell me what your reason is for attending our services...because the other 4 cars, WAITING BEHIND YOU, have much more important business to attend than you....................." :o

Oh...and that's in Thai language of course.

I'm happy these situations do not happen when someone buys a ticket for a plane.... :D

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Heng...sorry but this is a typical Thai answer.

WHO on earth is to decide whether someone has 'more important matters' to attend to? And WHO knows and decide WHAT is more important.........? :o

I'm happy these situations do not happen when someone buys a ticket for a plane.... :D

LaoPo

Well said Laopo

Mosquitoman:

Our posts crossed each other and I can't edit your post (see post 15). But no problem the 'message' has the same 'message' :o

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Howdy Forum.

With Raja,you simply buy a VIP ticket which is a return ticket.They only used to be available in Dongsak but can now bw purchased here.Seatran have advance ticketing available from their office or through some ATM machines,I just can't remember which bank.

One can pick up a flyer with all the correct info on how to book advance tickets for Seatran at any Ayudhaya bank.

You call a number, you receive some references, you go to an ATM and keep the receipt. Show up 30 minutes before choosen departure time and off you go, first in line.

Heng...what a nonsense !

WHO on earth is to decide whether someone has 'more important matters' to attend to? And WHO knows and decide WHAT is more important.........? :o

LaoPo

I didn't say you had to like reality (that there is a hierarchy of people in the world, and most certainly in the LOS). But yes, that's often the reality of it. And it happens with airline tickets as well. People usually don't get bumped, but I know of one example of a particular 'Ongamontree' who always demands to be seated in the # 1 seat out of superstition. You'll sure as heck get bumped to another seat if he happens to be on board. You may as well be complaining 'who the heck has the right to stop traffic/block shopping mall/movie theater/restaurant exits, etc. whenever they just happen to want to go somewhere?' Newsflash Laopo, more than a few people have that right.

Howdy Forum.

One can pick up a flyer with all the correct info on how to book advance tickets for Seatran at any Ayudhaya bank.

You call a number, you receive some references, you go to an ATM and keep the receipt. Show up 30 minutes before choosen departure time and off you go, first in line.

Another option for Seatran is to go to the offices and book - the best place is next to the new bangrak pier as they are generally not busy and speak reasonable english. They only take bookings within 3 days of the trip and have a limited number of places. You need to take the cash and the number of your vehicle and if you are flexible on time it is usually not a problem. In the past the early palces were always taken by the visa minibuses but maybe that problem will slowly go away over the next few months.

You can also pick up the timetable and reservation phone number for the other side (i.e. Donsak) and call in to book ... and pay through Ayuddhya ATM's.

I also gave up on Raja years ago and always go with seatran .. not just because they are better service but becasue they were willing to come into the busines and make an investment and force Raja to pick up their service quality as well

I also gave up on Raja years ago and always go with seatran .. not just because they are better service but becasue they were willing to come into the busines and make an investment and force Raja to pick up their service quality as well

I certainly welcome Seatran, their operation seems alot more proffesional. They also invest money (witness their new terminal in Donsak),

However there service between Koh Pha Ngan and Donsak is unreliable, whilst Raja seem to keep running whatever, and even puts on extra ferries when it gets busier. I now find myself supporting Raja because I am fed up with the unreliability of the Seatran service from KPG to Donsak.

I note that Raja even with competition still does not seem to reinvest any money in its facilities, it ferries, terminals are decrepid, its staff however I find friendly.

Heng...what a nonsense !

LaoPo

I didn't say you had to like reality (that there is a hierarchy of people in the world, and most certainly in the LOS). But yes, that's often the reality of it. And it happens with airline tickets as well. People usually don't get bumped, but I know of one example of a particular 'Ongamontree' who always demands to be seated in the # 1 seat out of superstition. You'll sure as heck get bumped to another seat if he happens to be on board. You may as well be complaining 'who the heck has the right to stop traffic/block shopping mall/movie theater/restaurant exits, etc. whenever they just happen to want to go somewhere?' Newsflash Laopo, more than a few people have that right.

We are already used to your answers Heng. Never answering a question just giving an answer which suits you.

I'm aware of hierarchy, also in LOS.

Oh, and yes, I'm also aware that (especially also in LOS) there are always people in the world who consider themselves more important than others. I pity them.

Looking in the mirror this morning, Heng? :D

Let me tell you something:

Modesty shows more style and class than people with high-up-self-awareness and 'I'm-more-important-than-you' behaviour'.

Modesty, Heng......Modesty!

And, about your last sentence:

"Newsflash Laopo, more than a few people have that right."....

...that makes me sick, because these people don't have the 'right' they just take the right to place themselves higher-up (and thus: I'm more important....you-just-have-to-wait) simply because they have more power and/or more money than their fellow people.

It would be a lot more stylish and classy if they would just wait their turn.

What on earth have your parents been teaching you?....Modesty?

I'm almost sure they did.......but maybe you forgot?

LaoPo

"Newsflash Laopo, more than a few people have that right."....

...that makes me sick, because these people don't have the 'right' they just take the right to place themselves higher-up (and thus: I'm more important....you-just-have-to-wait) simply because they have more power and/or more money than their fellow people.

It would be a lot more stylish and classy if they would just wait their turn.

well said.

unfortunately a lot of things work that way here.

the arrogance and ego that come from being monied ( but of little class ) have a lot to do with it

Well, the times I have seen people being bumped have only ever been for a very serious situation. Important matters usually have to do with a serious illness or death in the family.

Or, as has been pointed out, the 4 cars could have pre-booked.

Sometimes poo happens, as Samuian so correctly puts.

Well, the times I have seen people being bumped have only ever been for a very serious situation. Important matters usually have to do with a serious illness or death in the family.

Or, as has been pointed out, the 4 cars could have pre-booked.

Sometimes poo happens, as Samuian so correctly puts.

I believe it happens for both serious needs plus some form of preference.

As usual, a small amount of money can ensure you have preference over others in the line. In fact I saw a situation at Raja in Lipa Noi where a farang was stuck in the third row of the 5 waiting lines, but really wanted to get on the ferry. He paid over some cash and got issued his plastic card which allowed him to go and buy the ticket... he went and bought his ticket... then he tried to get the other people to move their cars and trucks so he could get out ... but nobody moved and he ended up missing the ferry as they could not wait for him.... Maybe they also wanted some preference money...

I believe it happens for both serious needs plus some form of preference.

As usual, a small amount of money can ensure you have preference over others in the line. In fact I saw a situation at Raja in Lipa Noi where a farang was stuck in the third row of the 5 waiting lines, but really wanted to get on the ferry. He paid over some cash and got issued his plastic card which allowed him to go and buy the ticket... he went and bought his ticket... then he tried to get the other people to move their cars and trucks so he could get out ... but nobody moved and he ended up missing the ferry as they could not wait for him.... Maybe they also wanted some preference money...

I find this post quite ironic in light of tax's post:

unfortunately a lot of things work that way here.

the arrogance and ego that come from being monied ( but of little class ) have a lot to do with it

The assumption is always that the Thai person will behave in an arrogant manner because they have money and here is a farang doing so.

sbk

The assumption is always that the Thai person will behave in an arrogant manner because they have money and here is a farang doing so.

i never said that it was only thai people who behaved in this way.

i said that being monied (often) gives people ego and arrogance , this happens to farang upstarts here as well as thais.

and how would you justify the actions of the thai lad taking the money and giving preference to the monied (thai or falang) ?

is he only doing what comes naturally or behaving according to type ?

please dont let political correctness disguise facts.

Edited by taxexile