I don't get why comprehensive insurance is so high here.

giddyup

No offence intended - but there is simply no way you are getting 1st class, or comprehensive, cover in Thailand for 996 Baht year.

Either you looked at the wrong bill, or you don't have it.

Simple as that, Period, End of story etc biggrin.png

Well I am. THAT'S the end of the story. Sorry.

For a car? Impossible.

No, for a nearly new Toyota Hilux pick-up truck.

I think the unbelievability on the part of some TV posters lies in the fact that they haven't stepped out of their hermetically-sealed bubble of Bangkok or the BTT (Big Tourist Traps). They should do so before implying that I am a liar or ignorant.

Sure, you're going to pay first-world expenses in your pseudo-Thai locations. Deal with it.

So can I presume you are not going to share this great deal and company with anyone else????? Ps I've never been to bangkok. May I suggest you double your medication. Or check yourself in to the funny farm best wishes

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No offence intended - but there is simply no way you are getting 1st class, or comprehensive, cover in Thailand for 996 Baht year.

Either you looked at the wrong bill, or you don't have it.

Simple as that, Period, End of story etc biggrin.png

For a car? Impossible.

I think the unbelievability on the part of some TV posters lies in the fact that they haven't stepped out of their hermetically-sealed bubble of Bangkok or the BTT (Big Tourist Traps). They should do so before implying that I am a liar or ignorant.

Sure, you're going to pay first-world expenses in your pseudo-Thai locations. Deal with it.

Still waiting for more information on your comprehensive insurance policy for your 2 year old pickup for under 1,000 Baht.

For a car? Impossible.

Still waiting for more information on your comprehensive insurance policy for your 2 year old pickup for under 1,000 Baht.
Hold your horses, there--you'll have to wait a few hours.

Do you bring your car insurance papers to your business, or keep them on your person?

I don't.

Edited by Fookhaht

A major part of what my company does is supply intel to the insurance industry. That's why I know almost everything, about almost every car :)

I suspect your being completely honest, but I also suspect the real invoice has escaped you somehow. Note that you usually pay for your 1st class insurance a month or three before you pay for road tax and Por Ror Bor - you don't pay them at the same time, because the former starts the day you drive out of the dealership, and the latter two don't start until you get your white plates.

For a car? Impossible.

So can I presume you are not going to share this great deal and company with anyone else????? Ps I've never been to bangkok....

So you're admitting that you live in one of the Big Tourist Trap farang enclaves?

Negative all I was saying is I've never been to bangkok but as you ask I'm not afraid to answer questions and share information something you for some reason (I suspect because you can't supply information as it doesn't exist) but I live in a small village in Issan no where near any Farang conclave that you refer to

A major part of what my company does is supply intel to the insurance industry. That's why I know almost everything, about almost every car smile.png

I suspect your being completely honest, but I also suspect the real invoice has escaped you somehow. Note that you usually pay for your 1st class insurance a month or three before you pay for road tax and Por Ror Bor - you don't pay them at the same time, because the former starts the day you drive out of the dealership, and the latter two don't start until you get your white plates.

I've got the original documents at home, with a total annual charge of 996B written on them. No more than 996B has ever left my hands or my bank account. The insurance is comprehensive. And as I said before, they have already paid a 12,000B claim (just 4 months after the policy went into effect). They gave excellent service, having me in the shop less than 4 hours after my accident, even though I was 250km from home.

The policy was bought through a car dealer, who acted as a broker for the insurance company that provides insurance to his customers.

I've never had other than "white plates."The vehicle was 2 years old, and we merely switched them from the old owner's plates (who lived in another province) to the plates of the province where the vehicle was bought a few weeks after the purchase. I paid for everything up front: comprehensive insurance, taxes, plates. Everything was clearly itemised on the invoice, in addition to the insurance paperwork showing the annual premium.

The documents are in my file at home, and I'm at work, for all the naysayers who have to see proof. I'll dig them out tonight.

Edited by Fookhaht

A major part of what my company does is supply intel to the insurance industry. That's why I know almost everything, about almost every car smile.png

I've got the original documents at home, with a total annual charge of 996B written on them. No more than 996B has ever left my hands or my bank account. The insurance is comprehensive. And as I said before, they have already paid a 12,000B claim (just 4 months after the policy went into effect). The policy was bought through a car dealer, who acted as a broker for the insurance company that provides insurance to his customers. They gave excellent service, having me in the shop less than 4 hours after my accident, even though I was 250km from home. Sorry, the documents are in my file at home, and I'm at work, for all the naysayers who have to see proof. I'll dig them out tonight.

So it's going to take 12 years before the insurance company even breaks even and that's assuming you don't make another claim before then.

I've got the original documents at home, with a total annual charge of 996B written on them. No more than 996B has ever left my hands or my bank account. The insurance is comprehensive. And as I said before, they have already paid a 12,000B claim (just 4 months after the policy went into effect). The policy was bought through a car dealer, who acted as a broker for the insurance company that provides insurance to his customers. They gave excellent service, having me in the shop less than 4 hours after my accident, even though I was 250km from home. Sorry, the documents are in my file at home, and I'm at work, for all the naysayers who have to see proof. I'll dig them out tonight.

So it's going to take 12 years before the insurance company even breaks even and that's assuming you don't make another claim before then.

Duh. We have a math genius in our midst folks! (who knows how to state the obvious)

Yes, that's the nature of the insurance business. They win some, they lose some. Twenty years ago, I had a burglary, and the home insurance company reimbursed me for an amount that equaled nearly ten times the amount of premiums I had paid over the years. Now, what's so hard to understand about that?

Edited by Fookhaht

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that you got 1st class insurance included when you bought the car, and your 12K Baht claim happened within that first 12 months. Then somehow the renewal never came to you, or got paid without your knowledge, and the 996 Baht you paid more recently was for the Por Ror Bor (compulsory 3rd party insurance) + a broker's handling fee, because it's usually a couple of hundred Baht cheaper than that.

If somehow you did indeed find 1st class insurance cover, for a whole year, for 1K Baht, and didn't do something like elect to pay a 100K Baht deductible, everyone in Thailand wants to know your broker & insurer - but I suspect the one or both of them won't be in business for very long ;)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that you got 1st class insurance included when you bought the car, and your 12K Baht claim happened within that first 12 months. Then somehow the renewal never came to you, or got paid without your knowledge, and the 996 Baht you paid more recently was for the Por Ror Bor (compulsory 3rd party insurance) + a broker's handling fee, because it's usually a couple of hundred Baht cheaper than that.

If somehow you did indeed find 1st class insurance cover, for a whole year, for 1K Baht, and didn't do something like elect to pay a 100K Baht deductible, everyone in Thailand wants to know your broker & insurer - but I suspect the one or both of them won't be in business for very long wink.png

Well, maybe I can have my next accident before that happens! ;-)

To make things clearer, I'm still within my first year of owning the vehicle. I only paid one amount at purchase time, which included the insurance, fees, plates, taxes, purchase price, etc.

Edited by Fookhaht

Do you bring your car insurance papers to your business, or keep them on your person?

I don't.

In my car, at the business.

If somehow you did indeed find 1st class insurance cover, for a whole year, for 1K Baht, and didn't do something like elect to pay a 100K Baht deductible, everyone in Thailand wants to know your broker & insurer - but I suspect the one or both of them won't be in business for very long wink.png

To make things clearer, I'm still within my first year of owning the vehicle. I only paid one amount at purchase time, which included the insurance, fees, plates, taxes, purchase price, etc.

Sigh

My insurance this year is 55,000 baht... I reckon my Wife has already done more damage than that !!!

My only complaint about insurance here is that they don't provide a loaner...

You have the wrong policie or insurance company as loaners are available with some companies

Name the Companies then.

Indeed... Name them pls...

I'm on my 5th car here... Various insurance companies... Never had a loaner included....

Oh wow, thanks for the fantastic red herring smile.png

So you got your 1st class insurance for free, but the dealer was too tight to pay for your Por Ror Bor.

Got it smile.png

I don't.

My invoices and full policy are kept at home in a secure file. Only proof of insurance (a small document) in my vehicle. But I'm not going down four flights of stairs and walk 200 meters to a distant parking lot in the Thai sun (and then make the return trip) to satisfy your curiosity at this very moment.

Edited by Fookhaht

Oh wow, thanks for the fantastic red herring smile.png

So you got your 1st class insurance for free, but the dealer was too tight to pay for your Por Ror Bor.

Got it smile.png

Sorry, you don't "got it." And no red herring intended--I believe you just didn't understand my crystal-clear communication (tongue-in-cheek).

The COMPREHENSIVE insurance paperwork (read: POLICY) clearly shows an annual fee of 996B. No Por Ror Bor stuff.

Edited by Fookhaht

I don't.

My invoices and full policy are kept at home in a secure file. Only proof of insurance (a small document) in my vehicle. But I'm not going down four flights of stairs and walk 200 meters to a distant parking lot in the Thai sun (and then make the return trip) to satisfy your curiosity at this very moment.

Since you just told us you paid for the whole package and not for the comprehensive insurance separately, you don't even have to look for the policies anymore. At least not as far as I am concerned.

Duh. We have a math genius in our midst folks! (who knows how to state the obvious)

Yes, that's the nature of the insurance business. They win some, they lose some. Twenty years ago, I had a burglary, and the home insurance company reimbursed me for an amount that equaled nearly ten times the amount of premiums I had paid over the years. Now, what's so hard to understand about that?

I do understand that, but assuming that you are not the only one that has access to this killer deal, and consequently not the only one to make a claim, some a lot higher than 12,000 baht, it's hard to imagine that the insurance could make any money from a policy that costs so little. We await the proof eagerly.

Since you just told us you paid for the whole package and not for the comprehensive insurance separately, you don't even have to look for the policies anymore. At least not as far as I am concerned.
Did you miss where I said everything was itemised, and the Insurance Company Policy clearly shows an annual fee of 996B?

I do understand that, but assuming that you are not the only one that has access to this killer deal, and consequently not the only one to make a claim, some a lot higher than 12,000 baht, it's hard to imagine that the insurance could make any money from a policy that costs so little. We await the proof eagerly.

Insurance probabilities of profitability are not that simple. Insurance companies also deal with a phenomenon known as demographics such as specific regions where insurance policies are issued. In driver-based policies, there's also age and driving records (such is not the case in Thailand). As to regional demographics, not everyone lives in Bangkok or the big faring/tourist enclaves, and I suspect that has a bearing in lower rates elsewhere.

Insurance probabilities of profitability are not that simple. Insurance companies also deal with a phenomenon known as demographics such as specific regions where insurance policies are issued. In driver-based policies, there's also age and driving records (such is not the case in Thailand). As to regional demographics, not everyone lives in Bangkok or the big faring/tourist enclaves, and I suspect that has a bearing in lower rates elsewhere.

Geographical location does not play any part in car insurance premiums in Thailand.

Hi Fookhaht.

I will take you at your word but you said it was a package deal by the dealer. Was it subsidized or with a special or promotion by the insurer? Did you pay "above market price" for the package?

I wish you good luck trying to renew at that price.

In my experience, I bought a big bike, insurance included, but at renewal the price went up nearly double even though the insured value dropped to about two thirds the puchase price so I took my business elsewhere.

Did you miss where I said everything was itemised, and the Insurance Company Policy clearly shows an annual fee of 996B?

I think true cost of 1st class insurance will become clear in the 2nd year when you have to renew the insurance.

So what does that mean, if you drive out of the locale (your driveway?) that allows you to access such a low premium, you are no longer covered?