Government asked to review its decision to phase out double-deckers

snoop1130

I would like to clarify thing about this thread, some posters on here don't seem to understand the different between the term NEW and USED and Rebuilt, The New Car manufacturing industry, the New Truck manufacturing industry and New Bus manufacturing industry is a success story for Thailand all built to world stranded.

There is a huge Bus rebuilding industry in Thailand,, you can not call that New , used parts imported from overseas and rebuilt with some new parts , probably more rebuilt buses than new buses in Thailand, the bus in the video on this thread is not a new bus it is a very old bus that is being rebuilt it should not be ever be on the road again, some of the rebuilding company probably built good safe buses but many may not, I have only said New buses nothing about rebuilt buses, you can not call a bus or anything else new if it has used parts in it or has been rebuilt. I would only ever go in a bus from a respectable good bus company like NCA, Chan Tour, Air Udon, all I have been in were in good condition clean and driven in a sensible manner.

Not sure I agree with you. The Honda you get here is not like the one I get back home. More bells and whistles and seems to be a better build back home. That's been my experience.

And this article is about Thailand stopping production of NEW double decker buses, they must be on to something.....

According to the Transport Ministry, registration of new double-deckers will be stopped

The automotive industry is a success story. But not all are happy here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/771941-toyota-may-shift-manufacturing-hub-for-fortuner-from-thailand-to-philippines/

You should google ,,Wikipedia list of Honda assembly plants,, you may get a shock.. it also depends on what Honda you are talking about. and what country is home for you.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ho hum diddily dummm......

How about approaching safety issues at the core. Internationally recognised safety standards, proper routine maintenance, driver testing.... drugs and alcohol as well as ability to perform the task. Safe driving practice.... don't overtake on blind corners or with oncoming traffic, adhere to speed limits.... the list goes on and on.

I shake my head in amazement at the failure of the Administration of this country to address issues in an appropriate manner.

This thread reminds me of the ditty we used to sing on the bus in summer camp

What holds this but together:

The nut behind the wheel

Fix the drivers and law enforcement first then you can worry about the busses later

How many times have you been on Sukhumvit at a traffic light and the bus driver will illegally pull up on the far left lane so he can be the first out of the gate when the light changes

My own protest of this activity is to make sure that I am just over enough so he can't pull that trick, not enough to prevent cars and trucks from doing it because they could have a gun, but most bus drivers are not armed. Happened yesterday at Sukhumvit - Huai Yai intersection (directly across from the police box/station) and of course it was an empty Pegas bus

Remember these "new" rebuilt double decker buses only cost 3 million baht !!!!!! And a new bus built from scratch costs double that or more .. Also re the luggage area on "high" single decker busses.. In fact all the HIGH cheapie very old tour buses with open windows which Thais and hordes of school kids make it to Cha-am in huge numbers every weekend and hoildays... No luggage involved.. just a change of clothes to use why their travelling clothes dry off after going in the sea fully clothed. My daughter can only manage to half fill school backpack for her school trips !!!

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, only for the one made in Thailand with complete disregards to weigh and balance and center of gravity

considerations when building the buss, they build the buss here in Thailand like every thing else, shoddy

quality and workmanship and not to last log before if start to fall apart...

Not to mention the design wouldn't pass as suitable for manufacturing in most countries with the fuel pipe located next to the exhaust, just for a start. Then there is the toughened glass on the upper deck and they use a stretched single decker chassis. Remember the one that caught fire on the BKK to Isaan route.

The very first thing that must be banned is incompetent drivers, sort this major problem out and there will be a dramatic drop in accidents and deaths, this can be then followed by a full study into vehicle design and usage, like no double deck units in the mountain areas, speed limited, vehicle inspections, law enforcement etc. .....