Government asked to review its decision to phase out double-deckers

snoop1130

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Limit the use of double deckers to routes that do not pass through hilly terrains! Any hilly terrains to Trat, Chanthaburi, etc?

Any from the stretch of Cha-am to Choompon?

Any in the stretch towards NongKhai?

Limit ?? It's not the buses, it is the bus drivers. Same as " Guns don't kill people " People kill People "

Training, training and more training. All buses should be set at 90 km maximum. Drivers taught to slow down in the rain. etc etc.

The association said that about 20,000 people would be made redundant if the existing double-deckers are to be banned from the streets. Toacquire a new bus, at least two million baht will be needed for each bus, the association added.

I highly doubt the veracity of this claim. Single deck busses would mean more buses, more manufacturing, more drivers and more support staff at terminals, possibly even new terminals. I never ride the busses, or the vans any more, and it is because of the drivers not the vehicles.

Double deckers don't have double capacity.

...and another 600 being assembled in garages.

This seems to be the root of the problem. Unqualified "mechanics" assembling buses on a handicraft afternoon in backyard garages ignoring all manipulation warnings from the original manufacturers

"The association led by Dr Wasuchet Soponsathien issued a statement challenging the ministry’s claim and defending the safety of double- deckers."

Three years ago I was on the top deck for 12 hours going to Isaan (do not recall name now) from Rayong. When coming back, the driver talked to two Thai helpers, or drivers. When it got dark the bus was speeding like in the day time and when lights of another bus coming from opposite direction was getting closer and closer so fast, people started shouting and I froze unable to move. It was close call. The buses almost touched each other. This was my last travel on a Thai double decker bus, or any bus as a matter of fact.

The Thai drivers are irresponsible, lack of understanding that they carry people on board,not rice. Thai bus should have electronic speed limiter and bus driver extensive training and high standard exam. No extra people when hi is behind the wheel in his proximity either.

Thai killing roads.

The post about shoddy built buses in Thailand are stupid, the running chassis , motor, gear boxes and everything is imported from Benz, or Volvo or what ever company that makes the running gear. the body is built in Thailand the same as every other country, nothing wrong with the way the buses are built, I know I have been in the motor trade most of my working life. I think the paranoid Thai basher should take the year off have a holiday,, all year.

The build may not be shoddy; however, the maintenance can be.

I recently travelled from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai on a "V" bus, then back on an "X" class. While the seating configuration is different, the vehicles are the same in terms of build and mechanicals.

The difference in suspension quality was quite obvious. Shock absorbers on the "V" were working well. On the "X" class, I was wondering if they even existed. The ride wasn't helped by the driver, who drove very fast and was overtaking based on size, not safety. The "V" class driver was far more sedate.

I get the feeling the "V" class buses are downgraded to "X" class after a specified mileage.

I'm only paranoid because everyone's against me.

The post about shoddy built buses in Thailand are stupid, the running chassis , motor, gear boxes and everything is imported from Benz, or Volvo or what ever company that makes the running gear. the body is built in Thailand the same as every other country, nothing wrong with the way the buses are built, I know I have been in the motor trade most of my working life. I think the paranoid Thai basher should take the year off have a holiday,, all year.

I recently travelled from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai on a "V" bus, then back on an "X" class. While the seating configuration is different, the vehicles are the same in terms of build and mechanicals.

The difference in suspension quality was quite obvious. Shock absorbers on the "V" were working well. On the "X" class, I was wondering if they even existed. The ride wasn't helped by the driver, who drove very fast and was overtaking based on size, not safety. The "V" class driver was far more sedate.

I get the feeling the "V" class buses are downgraded to "X" class after a specified mileage.

Take a look at the video I posted. The build is definitely dodgy.

I've also read many double decker buses are being phased out because they are hard and slow to load passengers. Especially those with disabilities. A class of citizen that is definitely overlooked here.

exactly its the general driving skill that need to be addressed here not the modern vehicles

typical of thainess blame the result and not the cause

They could pass a 50 degree test and you wouldn't be any safer when the driver is either drunk, on stimulants, or has anger issues. And all three are likely here

Cheaper to ban low-headroom bridges.

The British operate these buses year-in, year-out without a singly fatality. Perish the thought that driving standards are more to blame than bus configurations.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/sep/09/double-decker-bus-hits-railway-bridge-rochdale

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-34436360

Happens fairly often I guess....

So you would be happy sitting in the seats that in some designs have just a full glass window to the floor beside them.

Buses are built the same in Thailand as other countries, so are the cars that are built in Thailand and they are at world stranded. so are the design of buses in Thailand no different, if the cars are built OK so are the buses, you should post about something you know about.

I agree about maintenance and drivers , some bus companies should be put of the road.

i was on a single decker bus going to Bangkok from Ubon and it broke down, five minuets after leaving the bus terminal ,after and hour the driver managed to get brake problem fixed then we were off.

one hour later the gear box linkage broke, so another hour to fix that !!!

lastly the brake failed again and we were told to get of the bus and wait on the side of the road in the blistering sun from another replacement bus

there was no replacement bus only the next scheduled bus which was full already so we had to stand for hours

but the point of this statement is the driver was cleaning his hands of the grease and s--t, steering the bus with his elbows and driving the bus at break neck speed

i took pictures of this as i could not belive how dangerous this was and i felt so uneasy at least i would have proof if i lived should we hit something

These bus drivers are a menace and have a total lack of concern for the safety for the passengers

"The association led by Dr Wasuchet Soponsathien issued a statement challenging the ministry’s claim and defending the safety of double- deckers."

Three years ago I was on the top deck for 12 hours going to Isaan (do not recall name now) from Rayong. When coming back, the driver talked to two Thai helpers, or drivers. When it got dark the bus was speeding like in the day time and when lights of another bus coming from opposite direction was getting closer and closer so fast, people started shouting and I froze unable to move. It was close call. The buses almost touched each other. This was my last travel on a Thai double decker bus, or any bus as a matter of fact.

The Thai drivers are irresponsible, lack of understanding that they carry people on board,not rice. Thai bus should have electronic speed limiter and bus driver extensive training and high standard exam. No extra people when hi is behind the wheel in his proximity either.

Thai killing roads.

maybe we should send him a picture of Piccadilly circus

but i think he might say its another world, of coarse he would be right its a safer world

Thailand’s Junta Orders Ban on Double-Decker Buses

BANGKOK – Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith has reported that Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has ordered a ban on the registration of new double-decker tour buses and stricter road worthiness checks for all public transport vehicles.

Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith said Gen Prayut issued the instructions during Tuesday’s cabinet meeting in the wake a record road-toll over the New Year holiday.

According to Arkhom the 4,800 double-decker buses and 16,000 regular buses already in operation with a height of more than 3.6 meters must now pass a strict tilt test on a 30 degree slope. Any that fail to pass the test must be taken out of service.

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/thailands-junta-orders-ban-on-double-decker-buses.html

crt.png
-- Chiang Rai Times 2016-01-07

“Thailand is the only country that still allows double-decker buses to operate,” the minister said"

Apparently he doesn't travel much. unsure.png

I would politely but vehemently disagree
A Scania Volvo chassis with a body built in Germany Uk or Turkey even (they make Turkish merc buses Otormarson if i recall) is infinitely better quality and safer than a thai version that's cobbled together with bit of wood etc suggest you google BBC programme a few years ago about unsafe Thai buses.which highlighted overly high narrow chassis and poorly built buses

I think you are referring to the BBC programme about the three young English men that were killed in a bus crash. the bus that they were on was sold off by a proper bus company after it had its day, it was refurbished by some unqualified used bus repairer and should have never been on the road, you should get your facts right , no new bus in Thailand that is built by proper bus companies are badly built.

Buses are built the same in Thailand as other countries, so are the cars that are built in Thailand and they are at world stranded. so are the design of buses in Thailand no different, if the cars are built OK so are the buses, you should post about something you know about.

All together NOW OH NO THEY'RE NOT!

Far to many deaths in Thailand for all type of transport, but may interest some to know the most safe way to travel in Thailand is by AIR,,,, second most way to travel is by Bus,,, it is very easy to check this just google the road statistics, many on google, the worst by far is Motor bikes, then private cars, and Pick ups , then trucks, bus, air. the best.

http://www.nstda.or.th/news/17317-bus

"Thailand's infrastructure wasn't built to cater for double-decker buses and vice versa," Prof Thaweesak insisted. Thailand's intercity roads are too narrow, curvy and steep and most importantly, the buses, which are locally designed, are built only to serve consumers' demands for luxury and entertainment, and not with regards to any standard of engineering safety.

Sarawut Lerspalungsanti, a researcher at MTEC (National Metal and Materials Technology Center), said that although the garage technicians might be experienced in building buses, they didn't have much engineering knowledge.

"If any part of the bus is too short, they [garage technicians] make it longer; or any part too long, they simply cut it." This, Sarawut explains, is unlike bus manufacturing in the West where the bus body is designed by an engineering team and produced in one piece at the factory.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Bus-operators-risk-passenger-safety-for-profits-ex-30211193.html

Most 8-wheel double-deckers are a lot higher than allowed, academic warns

Operators of private transport businesses in Thailand focus mostly on profits rather than passenger safety, while the assemblers of specially modified buses, particularly the widely used double-deckers, tend to use substandard materials and shun safety features to keep costs down, an expert on road safety and transport engineering said.

Somprasong, quoting a bus assembler who did not want to be named, said most modified eight-wheel double-decker buses in Thailand were higher than 4.5 metres. Also, these buses seat between 50 and 55 passengers, when the standard is no more than 40, he said.

The assembly technician went on to say that up to 70 of the buses he had modified had a standard chassis with a normal 2.5-metre axle despite the additional height. To comply with safety standards given the extra height, the axle should be wider than 2.5 metres. However, wider chassis are only made overseas, which would make the job of modifying the bus more expensive.

"The tour-bus operators will not hire you if you use an expensive foreign-made chassis," he explained.

A far better idea would be to phase out drunken and drug-fueled busdrivers, reduce their working hours, give them proper training and certification as public transport vehicle operatives and make annual MOT tests compulsory for all buses.

Won't happen, of course, because this means someone in government would have to get their fat arse of its shiny seat and actually do something.useful for once.

Please stick to the topic and abide by forum rules:

Posting Content & General Conduct

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

These buses are not built up to international standards. The video in the link at minute 7:00 below, shows how there are no plans and obviously no understanding of safety standards. Many are built of wood and disintegrate upon impact. After a crash, the bus company is dissolved and a new one created. Protecting the owners. And due to the ineffective and corrupt legal system here, few face prosecution for their infractions.

Add to this the absolutely terrible design of the roads. U-Turns in the middle of highways with no traffic lights where these huge vehicles try to turn. Incredibly dangerous. I'd hate to think of how many deaths have occurred at the floating market here in Pattaya when they use to allow these buses to do a U-Turn just meters past where they were parked. Pulling right out into traffic. Sometimes parked 4 across right into the 3rd lane of one of the busiest roads here. Unreal. And of course, shuffling passengers across the road with no pedestrian crossing and no traffic lights.

http://www.channel4.com/news/the-undocumented-dangers-of-thailands-roads

The bus you are talking about is a old bus that was sold off by a proper bus company and refurbished by a unqualified repairer, it should not have been on the road, it was not a new bus. it is what they call a pirate bus, a illegal bus. please get your facts right.

All together NOW OH NO THEY'RE NOT!

Sorry to tell you but YES THEY ARE,,

So you would be happy sitting in the seats that in some designs have just a full glass window to the floor beside them.

I know i wouldn't sit in a seat by a window that goes down to the floor so how about you? which is what i asked, a straight one word answer Yes or No please any more will prove your full of

I am not doubting your knowledge nor expertise, but would you be kind enough to share why I see many buses in Thailand running on a single rear axle, if 2 axle its common to have only 2 tires on rear axle. It would appear to me, being a novice that braking, and verticle stability are both affected in a unsafe manner by this local practice. These are Thai assemblied units (no name) as displayed by Benz, etc.

I have never noticed a Volvo or Benz built vehicle rigged out this way, thus

It may be cost cutting, poor copy of orginal designed units as the customer is of secondary concern, money first always, and hurry.

Edited by slapout

Thailands Junta Orders Ban on Double-Decker Buses

BANGKOK Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith has reported that Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has ordered a ban on the registration of new double-decker tour buses and stricter road worthiness checks for all public transport vehicles.

Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith said Gen Prayut issued the instructions during Tuesdays cabinet meeting in the wake a record road-toll over the New Year holiday.

According to Arkhom the 4,800 double-decker buses and 16,000 regular buses already in operation with a height of more than 3.6 meters must now pass a strict tilt test on a 30 degree slope. Any that fail to pass the test must be taken out of service.

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/thailands-junta-orders-ban-on-double-decker-buses.html

crt.png

-- Chiang Rai Times 2016-01-07

A test to destruction? If they fail the test of being tilted to 30 degrees, they topple, and there's a good chance they'd suffer significant damage. Edited by F4UCorsair

A few years a go there was a report that 90% of the buses in Thailand were not road worthy, since their wheel base was too small for the height of the body. Think you live in a different Thailand

The tilt test is irrelevant to all situations except when the bus is motionless and empty.
Fill the top with passengers, and add motion, swerving, any turning produces centrifuge, in fact any change in velocity, and the centre of gravity will be all over the place.

Even in the hands of the most competent driver, the unexpected, including the actions of other vehicles, these things are at best a potential disaster and to be avoided.

If anywhere at all, they should not leave the city districts, and should be built with speed governors in the control panels.