US doubts North Korean H-bomb claims

webfact

US doubts North Korean H-bomb claims

606x341_320530.jpg

WASHINGTON: -- The UN plans to introduce a series of new measures against North Korea after the county’s state run news agency announced that Pyongyang had successfully tested a hydrogen bomb.

The United Nations held an emergency meeting at the request of the US, Japan and South Korea.

North Korea carried out its first nuclear test in 2006 and four have been reported since then.
However, this is the first announcement of an H-bomb experiment.

As news of the test was announced nuclear scientists and the United States doubted the veracity of the claims.

Josh Earnest, a White House spokesperson, addressed the world’s media:“This is a serious subject, the initial analysis that has been conducted on the events that were reported overnight are not consistent with North Korean claims of a successful hydrogen bomb test. There is nothing that’s occurred in the last 24 hours that has caused the United States government to change its assessment of North Korea’s technical and military capabilities."

South Korea, all to familiar with the postering of its neighbour, believes there is no evidence of a H-bomb test, or even a failed H-bomb experiment.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-01-07

I doubt it too. Only the US, Russia, China, The UK and France have thermonuclear (hydrogen) fusion bombs. All of the other nuclear capable countries have atomic fission bombs. The former is about 10x as powerful as the atomic fission bomb.

FWIW the US dropped atomic, not thermonuclear hydrogen bombs on Japan. The US didn't develop the (nuclear fusion, thermonuclear) hydrogen bomb for about another 5 years.

Cheers.

Edited by NeverSure

I doubt it too.

A big doubt from me also. There are monitoring stations everywhere for detecting nuclear/atomic blasts even at least one in Thailand. They detected the previous atomic tests from NK and would have no problems detecting a h-bomb blast. Next announcement, we now have phasers and transporters. biggrin.png

The amusing part is that they don't believe they did detonate a hydrogen bomb, yet are going to introduce more sanctions anyway? Seems inconsistent. Perhaps they do believe, or maybe they just want an excuse to implement a new sanction. More than I know for sure.

"Carlson, who headed Australia’s safeguards office for more than two decades, said it was possible Pyongyang had actually produced a lower-yield “boosted explosion”, in which the hydrogen isotope tritium undergoes partial fusion, allowing them to describe the device as a hydrogen bomb."

Strangely, on all previous tests, CHina and Russia and S. Korea all weighed in with seismic readings and estimated yields. If previous tests are scaled correctly, the 5.1 seismic makes this one in the upper range of between 2 and 3 kilos.

The amusing part is that they don't believe they did detonate a hydrogen bomb, yet are going to introduce more sanctions anyway? Seems inconsistent. Perhaps they do believe, or maybe they just want an excuse to implement a new sanction. More than I know for sure.

Well laughing guy, the sanctions would be for having carried out ANY nuclear testing.

Whenever N Korea decides it's time to jack up its "food aid" demands, it carries out a nuclear or ballistic missile test. There's an initial int'l round of expressed outrage, followed by a nice satisfying dessert cart of appeasement. 'A pretty well-oiled act, and I'm sure this time KJU is salivating over prospects of an Obama nuclear "deal".

There are the same idiots that predicted that North Korea did not have Nuclear Weapons just before their first underground test.

You may remember That the North was working on the Bomb and the Bush administration said they where years away from it

Then BANG "oops they where wrong"

Now they are playing the same game with Iran This time its Obama and he is just as ridiculous and the rest of them.

This is one reason I will Support TRUMP Although he does not have vast political Experience he is a hard liner when it comes to

things like this and will not give away the barn with the horse in it

DId you notice that Hillary and Obama are Lawyers or should I say ambulance chasers gone political as are a number of other politicians .

I for one would rather have a successful business man than a lawyer as head of the country. The lawyers have gotten us into a lot of trouble with their way of thinking

Make room for a real deal maker

There are the same idiots that predicted that North Korea did not have Nuclear Weapons just before their first underground test.

You may remember That the North was working on the Bomb and the Bush administration said they where years away from it

Then BANG "oops they where wrong"

Now they are playing the same game with Iran This time its Obama and he is just as ridiculous and the rest of them.

This is one reason I will Support TRUMP Although he does not have vast political Experience he is a hard liner when it comes to

things like this and will not give away the barn with the horse in it

DId you notice that Hillary and Obama are Lawyers or should I say ambulance chasers gone political as are a number of other politicians .

I for one would rather have a successful business man than a lawyer as head of the country. The lawyers have gotten us into a lot of trouble with their way of thinking

Make room for a real deal maker

Trump seems very dependant on lawyers! Not always for "real deals" .

Well laughing guy, the sanctions would be for having carried out ANY nuclear testing.

Whenever N Korea decides it's time to jack up its "food aid" demands, it carries out a nuclear or ballistic missile test. There's an initial int'l round of expressed outrage, followed by a nice satisfying dessert cart of appeasement. 'A pretty well-oiled act, and I'm sure this time KJU is salivating over prospects of an Obama nuclear "deal".

Good point. The US could have been more clear in their statement (or my comprehension skills need sharpening) that they doubted there was a hydrogen bomb test and instead that it was just a regular nuclear explosion. I read it as disputing a nuclear explosion at all. Your interpretation is the more logical. I also had never made the connection between some military test and subsequent aid packages. Sounds like an effective strategy. Thanks.