problems for teacher with changing schools

I want to change schools ahead of the expiry of my work permit. They labour office is happy to process my resignation but insits that I leave the country to get a new non-B visa, as the cancellation of my work permit means I no longer have a permisison to stay so they can't process my work permit. They wil not even issue a wp3 receipt to show immigration that I will get a new work permit once I get a new permission to stay based on my new employer.

My wife called immigration and they also insist I leave the country to apply for a new non-B visa instead of getting a new extension of stay. After talking to my local immirgaiton office she even called immigration in Bangkok. The officer she spoke to confimrmed that it is the law that you have to leave the country, although many immigration officers do not enforce that rule.

Happy new year.

• If you're married it would be a good idea to change to a visa/extension of stay based on marriage. That way any changes in your employment/WP don't affect your permission to stay.

Also, if you want to delay your exit you could apply for a 60 day extension of stay based on visiting your wife.

I am familiar with both, but immirgaiton did not offer this option. In addition, the labour depermtent will probably not issue a WP under a 30 day consideration or a 60 day extension. They have their heels in the sand about me leaving the country and not even processing my application.

Are you on good terms with the key personnel from the school you are leaving ? If so, you may be able to make the change without leaving the country. In 2004, in Bangkok, I met with the personnel officer of the school I was leaving in the Immigration office at 9:00 a.m., and with the personnel officer of the school that was hiring me at 10:00 a.m. Everything went fine. If both schools have no objection, you might ask your Immigration office if this is an option.