Never claimed but A+ increases my premium from $685 to $1,235

simon43

I have had medical insurance with A+ for a couple of years now. I have never made any claim and have zero pre-existing conditions or medical problems.

Now my annual premium has almost doubled, because I have moved into another age bracket (55-59 years).

I wouldn't give A+ the time of day if they were gasping their last breath.

Can anyone suggest a medical insurer who can offer a south-east Asia medical policy (as A+ does)?

I don't want to pay a higher premium for worldwide or worldwide ex USA policy when I have zero intention of visiting wither the USa, Europe or Africa etc. I live and work in south-east Asia.

I need a basic policy that covers serious illness/accident, offers a reduced premium for an agreed excess, will provide me with medical insurance into my old age (hopefully with a realistic premium for someone who has never stayed in a hospital in his whole life, except for when he was born and when he had a sex change, (that last comment was a joke BTW...)

AXA. Can be slightly more pricy but the service is good. Just make sure you take the correct policy for your needs and not the cheapest.

For me and the wife we have the more expensive policy as it covers world wide and full costs for the expensive stuff like cancer.

I also like private room if I'm taken ill.

I'm 56 and wife is 31.

Edited by TommyUK1960

AXA. Can be slightly more pricy but the service is good. Just make sure you take the correct policy for your needs and not the cheapest.

For me and the wife we have the more expensive policy as it covers world wide and full costs for the expensive stuff like cancer.

I'm 56 and wife is 31.

AXA is the insurance company behind A+.

I'm 56 and wife is 31.

Don't read that way on my policy

I'm 56 and wife is 31.

Don't read that way on my policy

Do you have an A+ policy? That would be the policy where you can see who is the insurance company.

When I first joined A+, their premium was 50% lower than anything else on the market. My broker even told me not to expect such generous premiums in the future and even made me sign a form to that effect. The premium doubled the year after. And yet, IMHO. A+ is still competitively priced considering they cover cancer, southeast asian countries and allow you to fly back overseas to your home country for up to three months. Best thing to do is get a big deductible. Expect further increases in the years to come due to increasing medical costs in Thailand.

Before i bought a ;policy i did a lot of research and went the expat meetings and talked to a lot of expats with insurance here and by far without question the one that always came to the top was Bupa. I have had it now for 4 years and its been great. Also I did reach a age increase but it was only 2400 baht

AXA often acts as the local agent under contract for insurance firms - they are also agent for US Blue Cross for last few years - but they are not the insurance company.

4. A+ Plans are insured by AXA PPP.

That is from http://www.aoc-insurancebroker.com/A-plus-South-East-Asia-health-insurance-plans

Yes, AXA is the insurance company.

AXA is an insurance company - it is not the insurance company for contracted parties such as Blue Cross. Can not say if it is in the case of A+.

How many more times does this need to be said? AXA is the insurance company for A+.

In the end, and after careful thought, I opted to substantially improve my insurance coverage, especially since I'm 56 years old and need to sort out long term insurance, or run the risk in a few years from now of getting refused cover due to my age.

So I opted for BUPA and the 5 million baht Platinum cover - no pre-existing conditions etc, so the sign-up procedure was straightforward.

Edited by simon43

In the end, and after careful thought, I opted to substantially improve my insurance coverage, especially since I'm 56 years old and need to sort out long term insurance, or run the risk in a few years from now of getting refused cover due to my age.

So I opted for BUPA and the 5 million baht Platinum cover - no pre-existing conditions etc, so the sign-up procedure was straightforward.

What is the yearly premium cost?

What is the yearly premium cost?

I'm paying 6,280 THB per month, which works out at just over $2,000 USD per year. But the coverage is far better than the policy I had with A+, (and no excess with BUPA, unlike the high excess that I had with A+)

Edited by simon43

That is interesting, have just checked and the A+ is approx USD400 more than the BUPA plan but the benefit difference is huge - BUPA is just 5m Baht and A+ is over 17m Baht ?

A+ is designed for International Insurance that's why there's a huge difference in price and coverage and although Bupa covers you internationally (Emergency wise) its mostly designed for Thailand / Southeast asia.

That is interesting, have just checked and the A+ is approx USD400 more than the BUPA plan but the benefit difference is huge - BUPA is just 5m Baht and A+ is over 17m Baht ?

I am confused unless it is all to do with the excess?

OP said his cover went from 685 to 1,325 but is now paying 2,000 but JoePai you are saying A plus is 400 more......

We cannot be comparing like for like here?