US ITIN tax requirement

Hi, does anyone have experience of applying for the US Gov ITIN?

It used to be possible to have a passport copy certified at the IRS desk in the US Embassy but that is no longer the case.

I know you can use a service in your home country, but of course that involves sending them your passport. Is it possible for a Consul to do this here in Thailand, does anyone know?

If this is for a Thai passport would expect MFA copy/registration would be required - but mine was done years ago while in USA on a visit so no current knowledge. But MFA is the official agency for Thai documents legalization for international use and they are also the people who issue passports.

2 years ago I applied for my thai wife tax number while filing my USA income tax for that year, about 6 months later IRS sent the number which I used the following year, and this year's. I did it all without the aid of tax software, only thing different was having to mail all her documentations to Texas, ps used her passport as ID is the easiest ID to send

But some internet posts indicate the UK Embassy does not feel it is there responsibility to do any such thing - much as they refuse to issue letters to immigration requesting entry stamps be transferred. Unfortunately this is a UK passport holder.

But some internet posts indicate the UK Embassy does not feel it is there responsibility to do any such thing - much as they refuse to issue letters to immigration requesting entry stamps be transferred. Unfortunately this is a UK passport holder.

Ok, wasn't aware UKEMB was like that. Wow.

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

OK, I found out via the Honorary Consul in Phuket and a lady called Sarah at the Embassy itself that the British Embassy will do a certified (notarized) copy of your passport.

However, if you require an "Apostille" stamp then you have to apply to a department located in Milton Keynes, UK, applying by internet and paying by card.

https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised

For an ITIN you need the Apostille stamp :(

OK, I found out via the Honorary Consul in Phuket and a lady called Sarah at the Embassy itself that the British Embassy will do a certified (notarized) copy of your passport.

However, if you require an "Apostille" stamp then you have to apply to a department located in Milton Keynes, UK, applying by internet and paying by card.

https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised

For an ITIN you need the Apostille stamp sad.png

Where or who told you that you need an apostle stamp.

On this page it states this https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Obtaining-an-ITIN-from-Abroad

if the copies have been properly certified by:

1. the government agency (foreign or domestic) which issued the documents, or
  2. employees of the U.S. State Department located in U.S. embassies and consulates abroad.