Chaiyaphum City Meeting Places?

Ken

I can usally sniff these places out but having motorcycled on occasion into Chaiyaphum City, I have yet to find any "Farang hangout" for a beer or three. I once think I heard there was a Danish place somewhere in the area but not sure. Anybody know???? :o

Ken,

Ken Bower here. Lat and I live in Chiayaphum and I believe we met you at Cheeky Farang's B Day party in Korat a couple of months ago.

There WAS a Danish restaurant in Chiayaphum until last Feb. The owner closed it up and

went back home when the Danish gov't threatened to take away his gov't retirement pension because he was outside the EU for more than 90 days (he'd had the restaurant for 2-3 years).

There also used to be a Korean restaurant for awhile, but trust me, there in NO where in Chiayaphum that has any worthwhile farang food (even the KFC at Tesco is terrible) excepting

the daily meals served by my wife and her sister right here at our house in nearby Ban Sakinam, Gudtum (about 12-15km northeast of Chiayaphum city).

IF you find yourself in the area, give us a shout and IF we are home instead of in BKK (we make two trips/month) or elsewhere in Thailand or SE Asia, you'll certainly be welcome to stop over for a visit and a meal.

Just let us know in advance that you are coming. Same goes for anyone else I met in Korat or Udon Thani.

Ken/Rattana Bower

//email removed//

06-090-8686

Hi Ken Bower,

I can't find your village on the map - are you near Ban Ladyi or on the Khon Khro road? Our village in in Ampur Khon Sa Wan, we generally visit once a year or so. You're right about eating places in C city (city???). Some of the small family eateries are pretty good, but sometimes we just need what we're most use to. Seeing KFC has moved in, I expect McD's will be there next visit. Might boost their (McD's) economy, but won't do much for the locals.

I did meet a Canadian in 'The Gate' (now Tesco) a couple of times, but have not heard from him for about 2 years.

If possible we might look you up next visit?

Paul.

Hi Guys,

Was that Danish Bar next to an internet cafe ? I was in Chaiyaphum last year and seem to remember seeing a farang type bar as I came out of the internet place but I didn't have time to go in.

The reason I ask is that I will be in Chaiyaphum again from 14th November to 1st December and like Ken was also hoping to find a farang watering hole and had that place in mind. Shame that it's gone.

Have to agree about the farang food too !!! Doesn't bother me as I love Thai food, but last time I did just fancy a pizza when I saw the place near where Tesco Lotus is now. Shouldn't have bothered !

I spent nearly two weeks there last year and having an extended stay this time I was hoping I might find a bar to escape to. Looks like I'll be out of luck. I gather there are a couple of hotels there, anyone any idea if they have bars.

If you follow route 201 north out of Chiayaphum in about 3 km or so you will come to the Route 201 and 202 junction. Route 202 would take you to either Khon Kaen or Korat depending on if you turned left or right. Do neither, but continue on straight on 201 for another 5 km or so, past the electric company on the left hand side of the road and a small resort on the right, and take the next crossroad. It will be marked only in Thai and I think it says Gudtum road or Kudtum road. There will be a bus stop on the southeast corner where you turn and a Thai school on the southwest side of the turn. This will be Village 1 in Gudtum and we live in Ban Sakinam, which is Village 2 (there are now 17 villages comprising Gudtum). As you go straight, take the first left you can and continue until you have to bear a little left to get to the "checkpoint" which will be the end of village 1. Continue past the "checkoint" until the road has a Y in it and take the right hand side and you will continue on past another "checkpoint" which is the start of Ban Sakinam, Village 2. Continue on and you will pass a grade school on the left, then next a Wat, and at the next corner (there will be a spirit house there), turn left and go one block to where the paved road ends. You do not turn left or right nor do you continue on the dirt road that would be a half right but enter the driveway which is a half left. This is our family compound and it has two houses on it and a cement driveway. The large house is ours and the stilt house behind it to the left is one of Lat's sister's houses.

You are welcome to visit us anytime we are home: We should be home everyday excepting Oct 30-Nov 15, when Lat and I will be entertaining my sister and three other relatives in Chiayaphum, Pattaya Beach, Hua Hin and Bangkok and then we'll be back in Bangkok on Nov 23-26, Dec 7-11, Dec 27-31.

Please call us at 06-090-8686 B4 you come over. I guess that number will be changing shortly to 086-090-8686 whenever we get around to going to AIS and having them add the mandatory extra digit to my cellphone.

We welcome company and do cook American food for those that show up and want it and ThaiLao food for those who'd rather have that.

Ken and Lat Bower

19/1 Moo 2, Ban Sakinam, Gudtum

Chiayaphum, 36000, Thailand

[email protected]

Hi Ken Bower,

I can't find your village on the map - are you near Ban Ladyi or on the Khon Khro road? Our village in in Ampur Khon Sa Wan, we generally visit once a year or so. You're right about eating places in C city (city???). Some of the small family eateries are pretty good, but sometimes we just need what we're most use to. Seeing KFC has moved in, I expect McD's will be there next visit. Might boost their (McD's) economy, but won't do much for the locals.

I did meet a Canadian in 'The Gate' (now Tesco) a couple of times, but have not heard from him for about 2 years.

If possible we might look you up next visit?

Paul.

The Danish guy had to leave because Denmark was cutting off his gov't pension since he stayed outside the EU for more than 90 days???? I know nothing about EU politics so can't comment on why.

For those who are looking for a farang hangout, I'll ask one of my friends here but since Lat and I don't drink alcohol or smoke, we know nothing about any bars in town. BYOB if you come over to our place btw. We aren't snobs about it, just don't drink. I because of diabetes and Lat just because???? Who knows why women do anything????

For those who would like to stay overnite, there is a brand new resort called Siam River Resort by the hospital, just a block or so north of the monument circle. It's great. Our friends up from Pattaya have stayed there, and I've booked my sister and the three other members of our family there for two nites next month. They have an outside dining room that serves Thai food only and drinks and have a band in the evening AND they have a large Massage and Karioke Building that we did not investigate but looked great. A room there cost 800 baht/nite and up and the rooms are quite modern and nice but have small bathrooms.

Hope to see y'all up here sometime.

Ken/Lat Bower

Chiayaphum

Hi Guys,

Was that Danish Bar next to an internet cafe ? I was in Chaiyaphum last year and seem to remember seeing a farang type bar as I came out of the internet place but I didn't have time to go in.

The reason I ask is that I will be in Chaiyaphum again from 14th November to 1st December and like Ken was also hoping to find a farang watering hole and had that place in mind. Shame that it's gone.

Have to agree about the farang food too !!! Doesn't bother me as I love Thai food, but last time I did just fancy a pizza when I saw the place near where Tesco Lotus is now. Shouldn't have bothered !

I spent nearly two weeks there last year and having an extended stay this time I was hoping I might find a bar to escape to. Looks like I'll be out of luck. I gather there are a couple of hotels there, anyone any idea if they have bars.

If you hear of something Kenandlat it would be interesting, but I am not really too worried. It was just that I saw your reference to the Danish bar and I'm pretty sure that was the place I saw last year. I thought that as I am spending 18 days in total in Chaiyaphum I may have tried that out for a couple of beers one lunchtime or something. I will be with my wife and two young daughters so I will be kept occupied I am sure !

For those who would like to stay overnite, there is a brand new resort called Siam River Resort by the hospital, just a block or so north of the monument circle. It's great. Our friends up from Pattaya have stayed there, and I've booked my sister and the three other members of our family there for two nites next month. They have an outside dining room that serves Thai food only and drinks and have a band in the evening AND they have a large Massage and Karioke Building that we did not investigate but looked great. A room there cost 800 baht/nite and up and the rooms are quite modern and nice but have small bathrooms.

I have been to this place a couple of times visiting my ladys parents outside Chaiyaphum. Nice and clean rooms but the breakfast buffet is not much. But good price for the room.

If you hear of something Kenandlat it would be interesting, but I am not really too worried. It was just that I saw your reference to the Danish bar and I'm pretty sure that was the place I saw last year. I thought that as I am spending 18 days in total in Chaiyaphum I may have tried that out for a couple of beers one lunchtime or something. I will be with my wife and two young daughters so I will be kept occupied I am sure !

Indeed, seems a shame about the Danish place as I would have enjoyed a "couple" of lunchtime beers as I motorcycle around the area. Usually motorcycle down to Korat at 80KM distance. Chaiyaphum is about 40 KM the other direction for me, so like to try out different places at times. Maybe the Danish guy will get his "pension" sorted out someday and return. :o

• 2 months later...

no seriously was a nice guy the man from denmark although i only met him a few times,....i was last in chaiyaphum 18 months ago but desperately missing my old drinking pal chris peers who died from a fall of condotel in pattaya....boy we painted that town red!

Indeed, seems a shame about the Danish place as I would have enjoyed a "couple" of lunchtime beers as I motorcycle around the area. Usually motorcycle down to Korat at 80KM distance. Chaiyaphum is about 40 KM the other direction for me, so like to try out different places at times. Maybe the Danish guy will get his "pension" sorted out someday and return. :o

Hi Ken,

I've recently been visiting my gal & her folks in your neck of the woods (80/40k distance on route 2369/2160). Think I may have been passed by you a few times as I was driving up there from Korat, as I'm sure there aren't too many farang on big bikes around there...?

G/f pointed out a few of the farang houses on the way - nice I must say.

I'm heading back to blighty tomorrow, but will be back in March, hopefully spending most of my time there - unless it's too hot, as the house has no a/c. Be good to meet up with a fellow farang, as I'm tempted to make a more permanant more up there, but I'd miss the occasional "deeper conversation". I loves the laid back way of life, and really enjoyed helping out on the farm - well catching the fish at least...

Cheers,

Steve (who's only recently discovered TV and am still working my way around it)

Hi Ken,

I've recently been visiting my gal & her folks in your neck of the woods (80/40k distance on route 2369/2160). Think I may have been passed by you a few times as I was driving up there from Korat, as I'm sure there aren't too many farang on big bikes around there...?

I'm heading back to blighty tomorrow, but will be back in March, hopefully spending most of my time there - unless it's too hot, as the house has no a/c. Be good to meet up with a fellow farang, as I'm tempted to make a more permanant more up there, but I'd miss the occasional "deeper conversation". I loves the laid back way of life, and really enjoyed helping out on the farm - well catching the fish at least...

Cheers,

Steve, if you traveled 2369/2160 then you passed thru Ban Tako for sure. Lots and lots of Farang in the area so you wouldn't lack for conversation....though I don't know how "deep" it would get. Depends on the flow of beer I suppose. And I've just "heard" there is a "bar" in Amphur Khong that a number of English and Aussies hang out at. Haven't checked it out yet....but plan to soon....maybe today. :o

Hi Ken,

Cheers,

Steve, if you traveled 2369/2160 then you passed thru Ban Tako for sure. Lots and lots of Farang in the area so you wouldn't lack for conversation....though I don't know how "deep" it would get. Depends on the flow of beer I suppose. And I've just "heard" there is a "bar" in Amphur Khong that a number of English and Aussies hang out at. Haven't checked it out yet....but plan to soon....maybe today. :o

Cheers Ken,

I'm back in UK now - bloody freezing! Hope to be back in March for a month or so. Can't remember Ban Tako - there's too many "Ban"s on that road. I do remember getting lost in Klong though. There was a party in the main street and g/f directed me around it....30 minutes later we were back where we started...enough said.

What are the options for buying or renting a small place in that area? Be nice to get away from the outlaws - preferably with a/c.

Cheers, S

Cheers Ken,

I'm back in UK now - bloody freezing! Hope to be back in March for a month or so. Can't remember Ban Tako - there's too many "Ban"s on that road. I do remember getting lost in Klong though. There was a party in the main street and g/f directed me around it....30 minutes later we were back where we started...enough said.

What are the options for buying or renting a small place in that area? Be nice to get away from the outlaws - preferably with a/c.

Cheers, S

Well, I did manage to catch up with a bunch of Farang at the so called "bar" in Amphur Khong. It's really just the typical "Mom & Pop" shop with a Restaurant and some table and chairs outside. Nice though, with some fans going for the comfort of the Farang I suspect. I was there early, 1 PM, and the majority of the guys didn't start arriving until around 4 PM. So I didn't get a chance to do a lot of "chatting" with them. Indeed there were English, Aussies, and Swedes in the group I met. I think I have heard that one of the guys who lives near me has a number of small "bungalows" that he rents out just for the purposes you describe. Not sure about something in Khong though. Next time I hit the "bar" in Khong, I'll ask around.