Questions on the affidavit needed from the British Embassy

c1samd

Sorry if this has been answered before but I couldn't find the correct information.

I will be getting married to a thai lady this year in Thailand so will require the affidavit. I am though going back to England this month for a few weeks, is there anyway I can get this paperwork whilst I am in the UK and if so please can you explain how.

thanks in advance

If you have been married get whatever divorce paperwork is issued in the UK as believe that will be required by Embassy.

You need the decree absolute or if widower then you need a copy of the death certificate.

And once the Embassy has issued the affirmation to marry it then needs to be translated into Thai and authorised (stamped) by the Ministry of Foreign affairs.

HL biggrin.png

anks for the speedy responses guys, very helpful

If you have been married get whatever divorce paperwork is issued in the UK as believe that will be required by Embassy.

You need the decree absolute or if widower then you need a copy of the death certificate.

And once the Embassy has issued the affirmation to marry it then needs to be translated into Thai and authorised (stamped) by the Ministry of Foreign affairs.

HL biggrin.png

Thanks for the speedy responses guys, very helpful.

Happylarry understand the translation bit and the need for it to be authorised. I am hoping I am able to do this in a day when I come back to Bangkok (as I am going back to the uk for a few weeks) before moving onto Samui .

Am I able to do these things alone or do I need my girlfriend with me? I have copies of her ID and housebook.if that is of any relevance / assistance?

thanks again

HL biggrin.png

Happylarry understand the translation bit and the need for it to be authorised. I am hoping I am able to do this in a day when I come back to Bangkok (as I am going back to the uk for a few weeks) before moving onto Samui .

Am I able to do these things alone or do I need my girlfriend with me? I have copies of her ID and housebook.if that is of any relevance / assistance?

thanks again

As far as I know girlfriends input is not required. The affirmation is only confirming that you are free to marry and it doesn't refer to any person, just you. Please be aware that you now have to make an appointment on line first or they won't admit you to the Embassy. Once you have the affirmation then the easiest thing to do is go to the translation shop in the Homepro shopping centre opposite the Embassy and they will translate it and take it to the ministry and get it stamped and then post it to you in Samui, very easy for you and not expensive.

HL

• 3 months later...

HL biggrin.png

thanks again

As far as I know girlfriends input is not required. The affirmation is only confirming that you are free to marry and it doesn't refer to any person, just you. Please be aware that you now have to make an appointment on line first or they won't admit you to the Embassy. Once you have the affirmation then the easiest thing to do is go to the translation shop in the Homepro shopping centre opposite the Embassy and they will translate it and take it to the ministry and get it stamped and then post it to you in Samui, very easy for you and not expensive.

HL

Just been through this process - don't agree with the 'Homepro' idea for the translation. The easiest thing to do is simply walk up the stairs in the ministry to the first floor and go straight to their internal Translation Office right in front of the escalator. It is no more expensive than some external translating services, and above all, it is in-house so any mistakes will rebound on the colleagues. While i was there a guy was losing his cool big-time because a translator outside the ministry had added a Postcode to his address which was NOT on the British Embassy 'affirmation'. He had to get another translation and wait another 4 hours ! That mistake would not have been made by the internal translators in my opinion. By the way, the normal service at the MoFA is 3 working days. To get the Express same-day service (which takes 4+ hours) it's a very early start unless you stay in a hotel very near the building - get there by 7am to be near the front of the queue. Yep, i know they don't open until 8, but we were allowed in with others to queue at the bottom of the stairs before 7. Even with that start and the Express service and being No.04 in the queue, it will still be just after lunch when the precious docs are handed over. Be warned : they stare closely at every word and number on the translation to find any differences from the British Embassy original.

HL biggrin.png

thanks again

HL

Just been through this process - don't agree with the 'Homepro' idea for the translation. The easiest thing to do is simply walk up the stairs in the ministry to the first floor and go straight to their internal Translation Office right in front of the escalator. It is no more expensive than some external translating services, and above all, it is in-house so any mistakes will rebound on the colleagues. While i was there a guy was losing his cool big-time because a translator outside the ministry had added a Postcode to his address which was NOT on the British Embassy 'affirmation'. He had to get another translation and wait another 4 hours ! That mistake would not have been made by the internal translators in my opinion. By the way, the normal service at the MoFA is 3 working days. To get the Express same-day service (which takes 4+ hours) it's a very early start unless you stay in a hotel very near the building - get there by 7am to be near the front of the queue. Yep, i know they don't open until 8, but we were allowed in with others to queue at the bottom of the stairs before 7. Even with that start and the Express service and being No.04 in the queue, it will still be just after lunch when the precious docs are handed over. Be warned : they stare closely at every word and number on the translation to find any differences from the British Embassy original.

You don't agree with using an outside translator but then go on to quote exactly the reasons that it is best to...

The reason to use an outside translator is they take the document to the MFA, they queue up and get it stamped and if they have made a mistake then it is up to them to put it right and they then post it to you at your home. You don't have any of the stresses of traveling across Bangkok or queuing up or any of that.

Much, much better way of doing it.

HL