Controversial bill signed into law by Polish President; EU says talks ongoing

webfact

Controversial bill signed into law by Polish President; EU says talks ongoing
By Seamus Kearney

606x341_320620.jpg

"It's an important issue but we have to have friendly and good relations with Poland so our approach is a very constructive one"

WARSAW: -- The Polish President has signed into law a controversial bill that hands control of state media to the government.

This despite concern from the European Union and criticism from civil rights groups.

Brussels says it is still in talks with Poland on the issue, and it’s not at the point of taking punitive measures.

The President of the European Commission, Jean-Claude Juncker, has attempted to downplay the dispute.

“I’m very confident that from now to then (when action might be taken), the Polish government will present us its own reflection and will give a reaction to this.

“Let’s not over-dramatise. It’s an important issue but we have to have friendly and good relations with Poland so our approach is a
very constructive one: We are not bashing Poland.”

Amid protest, the president’s office says it’s important that state media be “impartial and objective”.

The ruling conservative Law and Justice party, which came to power in October after eight years in opposition, is also under fire for another piece of legislation.

Regulations governing Poland’s top constitutional court have been changed, sparking demonstrations by opposition groups.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-01-08

QuoteThe President of the European Commission, Jean-Claude Juncker, has attempted to downplay the dispute. unquote. Gov speak saying its not important but it is. Its a rightwing nutjob government taking away the rights of the press and media and most importantly the peoples right to get the news unfiltered not Chinese style.

Quote Amid protest, the president’s office says it’s important that state media be “impartial and objective”. unquote.

An example of where the world is headed. Don't think the American GOP isn't watching to see how this plays out. This kind of danger is creeping up on all of us. The people of Poland thought they were voting for change. Be careful what you wish for. Does all this look familiar as well/similar to what is happening in the country we now call home?

Looks like Poland is headed back to a communistic type government...too bad.

Authoritarian does not necessarily mean communist .

I am not an expert in Polish affairs and I could be wrong, but I believe this government is Right wing rather than left, what ever the orientation, I agree.. Too bad.