5 things i wish i knew before going to Thailand

Boycie

"Never ever be tempted to marry a bar girl, most are as thick as a brick". that would apply to Thais in general. particularly

drivers and motorbike riders.

Only marry pedestrians,OK got it.

They are just as thick, they don't realise that you should look both ways before crossing the road, even on a one way street.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My list

1. Learn the language if your staying.

2. No one ever becomes Thai don't delude yourself that you are.

3. If you are giving instructions, get it right the first time. If they are going to listen to you it will only be the first three sentences.

4. Never assume that your translator said what you said or that they even understand what you or the other person is saying.

5. Logic never trumps seniority. In fact logic is best left off the table.

6. Patience is best.

"Never ever be tempted to marry a bar girl, most are as thick as a brick". that would apply to Thais in general. particularly

drivers and motorbike riders.

Only marry pedestrians,OK got it.

They are just as thick, they don't realise that you should look both ways before crossing the road, even on a one way street.

If you are a man and your interest is to marry, I think you've made a great mistake by coming to this country. Unless, of course, you've played the co-dependent in swindling relationships your whole life. It's hard to break old habits...

In any foreign country, you will always be a farang. How could you expect it to be different? Always rent, don't loan money,

don't let infatuation lead you into things good thinking wouldn't!

Take the good things from the culture. The humor, the kindness, the warm weather, and the patience you needed to learn. Don't

look at the negative aspects, just deal with them.

Don't for a minute think you will change anything. Leave it alone, accept it, and enjoy your retirement. If you are not

retired, don't stay long. Use your youth somewhere where you understand all the rules, can more safely earn your nest egg. Then you return and relax. Good luck. It's a beautiful place.

1. It's not called Bangkok............it's KrungThepMahaNakhonAmonRattanakosinMahintharaAyutthayaMahadilokPhop NoppharatRatchathaniBuriromUdomRatchaniwetMahasathanAmonPhimanAwatan SathitSakkathattiyaWitsanuKamprasit.

2. Unless a Thai tells them something, then it isn't true.

3. Do not try to do your job well and change things for the better. You will be labelled a trouble maker.

4. All the good things you have done over 10 years will immediately be forgotten the moment you f@@k up just once.

5. Do not ask a Thai for directions. Rather than say they don't know (face), they will send you off on a wild goose chase. blink.png

Point 4 applies anywhere in the world.

All the "attaboys" in the world are dismissed by one "awshit"

And on a positive note..........

Love Life

Love your Wife

Love your kids

Love your decision to live in Thailand

Accept all of the above unconditionally and enjoy it.

If non of the above is you wakeup and depart Thailandgiggle.gifcheesy.gif

Lives can change

Wives can change

Kids can change--but somehow you still love them

Your decision to live in Thailand can change

So, accepting them all unconditionally is a special kind of stupid.

You should also know that you are more than likely to have at least one paedophile within spitting distance of you at any given time! So remember to spit.

A god botherer commenting on paedophiles; that's rich!!

God may take you in when you pass, but you must repent!

A better topic might be "5 things I wish I never learned after coming to Thailand".

5 things I wish I never learned "THE HARD" way after coming to Thailand. tongue.png

More like "5 things I wish I didnt know happened in Thailand". I think I was happier here when I was ignorant to all the Thainess going around.

Many of the Thai Visa members are totally negative dim wits. I'd like to tell them that the airliners that come in also go out. As for myself, I would NEVER be stupid enough to stay somewhere I hated and was so unhappy. Do the content and happy farangs a favor and go somewhere else. Not necessarily back to your home countries because you were apparently not happy there either. It's even possible that wealthy Thais would set up a fund to get rid of destitute bitter farangs.

It is sad to see so many unhappy T V members living in Thailand. It must be terrible to hate the food, feel ostracized and paranoid about all those Thai's just waiting to hate them and rip them off, having no friends other than a few bar girls , liking only the beer. Perhaps one should start a T V anonymous club to help unhappy expats break out of their doom and gloom and and enjoy the l o s for what is. What you make it.

Ah! The eternal optimist.

One more visa run and you can join the rest of us.

You will be surprised who is a member.

Many of the Thai Visa members are totally negative dim wits. I'd like to tell them that the airliners that come in also go out. As for myself, I would NEVER be stupid enough to stay somewhere I hated and was so unhappy. Do the content and happy farangs a favor and go somewhere else. Not necessarily back to your home countries because you were apparently not happy there either. It's even possible that wealthy Thais would set up a fund to get rid of destitute bitter farangs.

Why destitute? Is it a prerequisite to being bitter in Thailand?

I am glad that you have never encountered anything here to make you bitter but that doesn't discount those that have. Think about all those that have been ripped off just for starters.

I will acknowledge one thing though. Of all those that I have met that are so desperately in love with the ideology by far the majority have had copious amounts of money with which to hedge the bitterness.

You should also know that you are more than likely to have at least one paedophile within spitting distance of you at any given time! So remember to spit.

Is there anywhere I can look to verify this or is it just your experience? I'm not doubting what you say. I'm just curious (I'm presuming you're talking about native paedophiles and not ones in tourism areas, right?).

Is there anywhere I can look to verify this or is it just your experience? I'm not doubting what you say. I'm just curious (I'm presuming you're talking about native paedophiles and not ones in tourism areas, right?).

If you deny something or ignore it ,inadvertently you are admitting it is wrong.

1.Thais are not really that friendly
2.Thais are not really that stupid
3.Thai women dont really have the same concept of love as we do
4.dont fall in love with what you dont understand
5.whatever stage in the moral ladder you were when you came here, you will certainly leave Thailand a lot lower afterwards. Dont believe me? just look above...

I am glad that you have never encountered anything here to make you bitter but that doesn't discount those that have. Think about all those that have been ripped off just for starters.

I will acknowledge one thing though. Of all those that I have met that are so desperately in love with the ideology by far the majority have had copious amounts of money with which to hedge the bitterness.

I love it here, wall to wall hookers, great weather, loads of hiking and biking trails.

But you all missed out the most important 5 things you should know before coming here ......

1. She doesn't love you, she's only with you for the money.

2. Your one isn't different, she's only with you for the money.

3. Don't buy a house in her name, she's only with you for the money.

4. Don't expect her to be faithful, she's only with you for the money.

5. You aren't hansum, she only tells you that for the money.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

It's not a prerequisite to be bitter but the old saying is applicable, A fool and his money are soon parted. That causes a lot of fools to be bitter.

I don't have copious amounts of money but I do at least try to take care of what I have. I was ripped off far worse in the US than it is even possible to be ripped off here. When I moved here I entered a new life and I intend to enjoy what is left of it right here in Thailand.

I love it here, wall to wall hookers, great weather, loads of hiking and biking trails.

But you all missed out the most important 5 things you should know before coming here ......

1. She doesn't love you, she's only with you for the money.

2. Your one isn't different, she's only with you for the money.

3. Don't buy a house in her name, she's only with you for the money.

4. Don't expect her to be faithful, she's only with you for the money.

5. You aren't hansum, she only tells you that for the money.

Pity you told us that i was happier living in blissful ignorance !

Make sure the bargirl you marry doesn't have any tattoos, this way you can convince your family, friends and anyone you meet that she's a good girl and different from the rest.

Meanwhile, us normal heterosexual blokes will just carry on shagging anyone we fancy for a reasonable price. Guilt free 'cos we're blokes and like sex with different friendly women.

That even if your married, own a company, working and have kids you will NEVER be accepted as you are back home, no matter how long you stay

and at any time you can be kicked out or refused your visa

And that the Wife's dedication is to her mother first, children second, you will be considered third at best. So keep an eye open for those other family ties