Airport Immigration: No hotel booked ==> No entry to Thailand

simon43

Last night I was awoken a couple of times in the wee small hours by phone calls from immigration officers at the airport. They are apparently enforcing a rule whereby tourists who cannot provide proof of a hotel booking will not be allowed entry into the country.

I had two different groups of Western tourists who rang me to check on room availability (I was full, but ex #2's airport hotel had rooms). After telling them that there were rooms available, they passed the phone to the immigration officer who noted down the hotel details. He then rang back several minutes later to confirm these details and to get further information about exactly where the hotel was located, hotel owner details etc.

He told me that he would not allow the tourists to enter the country unless they had a confirmed hotel booking for their first night of stay.

Let's see if I get woken tonight by similar phone calls

PS: I forgot to mention that the airport immigration 'scam-a-Chinese tourist' is also alive and well, with the money required to avoid being sent to the back of the immigration queue for visa processing having risen from 100 baht per person to 300 baht.

But of course, according to the Head of Airport Immigration, this scam doesn't exist coffee1.gif

Edited by simon43

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So we just need to tell our wives to answer the phone as "Sabaidee #1938489503 hotel waaaalcam" when we come back from a visa run?

Presumably (I hope!), expats are excluded from this new (still-to-be-confirmed) rule.

So we just need to tell our wives to answer the phone as "Sabaidee #1938489503 hotel waaaalcam" when we come back from a visa run?

Presumably (I hope!), expats are excluded from this new (still-to-be-confirmed) rule.

So we expats are not Westerners. I have no doubt all non-Thais will be asked for address confirmation in Thailand, or maybe this is a new Immigration scam.

Phuket Airport Immigration and customs is the worst I've ever dealt with. Last time we flew in my wife's two bags were checked though from San Francisco, mine were picked up in Bangkok as one of my checked pieces was our dog and you have to pick your dog up in Bangkok, and go to the quarantine office to have your paperwork checked and pay the 100 Baht fee then off to customs to check my paperwork. I had paid them the 1,000 Baht fee last time, as long as you have your receipt, it is a one time fee. So, no fee. We were cleared by customs.

We go to pick up our two bags from the international bag terminal at Phuket, they wanted to see my dogs paperwork then X-rayed all our bags, even the one already cleared in Bangkok. My wife got pissed! Pretty much told the head woman to f off and that she's an idiot! She didn't want to deal with my wife (Thai, university educated, former supervisor at IBM and Hitachi) so she stopped me. I pretty much tossed the large packet of paperwork for my dog and said here, look all you want! We were cleared in BKK! She took couple photos of the customs clearance and we went on our way home. Just what you want to deal with after about a 24 hour or more trip!

I was queued up at Imm line one trip in. A very polite Thai guy with airport ID asked me where I was staying. I said I don't know yet, somewhere in Bangsaen when I get there.

He asked to look at my white ticket, I can't remember the number, I'd filled in on the plane.

He wrote something on it, when I checked he'd written the name of a hotel on it in English..

When we, the guys in the queue, got talking about it turned a good many of us that hadn't filled that bit in were all staying at the same hotel in Bangkok.

But none of us were!!!!

My experience of Bangkok Airport Immigration is; on the flight back from Hong Kong got the white Immigration Card to fill in, which consisted of two pieces of card, one of which was printed on both sides. On the card it clearly said complete on both sides, which I did and ignored the second card and did not fill it in. When I handed my Passport and Immigration Card to the Officer he asked where the other piece of card was. I explained that it said, "complete both sides", implying the other one sided card was not required. He smiled (rather benevolently) at me, got a blank card and filled it in for me, stamped my Passport and gave me it and the Card back, wishing me a pleasant stay. What a nice young man.

Jimi007 I agree that immigration at Phuket Airport is pretty horrible with all the scams going on for years.

What I don't understand from your post is why you had to pick up your bags from the international terminal when coming via domestic flight and having cleared immigration and customs already in BKK.

BTW I came two days ago and didn't have any issue with having to show a hotel booking (I rent a house and specify the address on the arrival card).

I think the most likely scenario is that some tourists didn't have a booking and didn't know what to put in the address field on the card so the officer gave them a bit of a hard time.

So sounds like you left the space blank on the TM card where it asks what is the address your staying at in Thailand. The officer probably thought you where a Farang Keenoke.

Jimi007 I agree that immigration at Phuket Airport is pretty horrible with all the scams going on for years.

What I don't understand from your post is why you had to pick up your bags from the international terminal when coming via domestic flight and having cleared immigration and customs already in BKK.

BTW I came two days ago and didn't have any issue with having to show a hotel booking (I rent a house and specify the address on the arrival card).

I think the most likely scenario is that some tourists didn't have a booking and didn't know what to put in the address field on the card so the officer gave them a bit of a hard time.

You missed the part that we checked our two heaviest bags all the way through to Phuket. We are allowed 23 KG per bag internationally, but only 10 KG domestic. So we used the international connection, free two bags at 23 KG for my wife (Star Alliance airlines). Actually that the international weight allowance is to and from the USA and Canada.

If not for my dog, we could check 4 bags at 23 KG all the way through to Phuket, but with EVA Air we still have to clear immigration in Bangkok. I made sure my checked bag that I had to pick in BKK was under 10 KG and my dog is always charged at the excess baggage rate, even though she and her kennel weigh about 23 KG and is my second piece of baggage usually. I could check another 10 KG bag without any additional fee to make the domestic connection free. It's a bit of a complicated mess to fly with your dog internationally, but next month will be her third trip from Thailand to California. And people bitch about their retirement extensions here! LOL!

Edited by Jimi007

It's very common actualy.

You missed the part that we checked our two heaviest bags all the way through to Phuket. We are allowed 23 KG per bag internationally, but only 10 KG domestic. So we used the international connection, free two bags at 23 KG for my wife (Star Alliance airlines). Actually that the international weight allowance is to and from the USA and Canada.

If not for my dog, we could check 4 bags at 23 KG all the way through to Phuket, but with EVA Air we still have to clear immigration in Bangkok. I made sure my checked bag that I had to pick in BKK was under 10 KG and my dog is always charged at the excess baggage rate, even though she and her kennel weigh about 23 KG and is my second piece of baggage usually. I could check another 10 KG bag without any additional fee to make the domestic connection free. It's a bit of a complicated mess to fly with your dog internationally, but next month will be her third trip from Thailand to California. And people bitch about their retirement extensions here! LOL!

Just curious, where in the aircraft does your dog travel?

Can't be the hold or she'd die.

Must be with you in the cabin.?

Or is there a pressurised section for animals?

Who feeds her etc etc, 23 hours is a long trip.

Thanks

This sounds like Bullshit to me .You can Enter the Country and look where you want to spend the night/nights !That has nothing to do with Immigration,,,(My Opinion)Maybe Wrong

You would be wrong. It's a legal requirement here in Thailand to be registered to Immigration at your place of residence. Many countries require an address on the arrival card. But I've never seen any query about the address I write, even DownTown Hotel in Main Street ...

Thanks

EVA is rated at the top for pet travel. All animal on international flights and domestic flights in Thailand are put in a special section of cargo that is heated and pressurized. We put in a spill proof water bowl that has velcro to stick it to her flight kennel. We feed her in Bangkok and take her out for a walk, then back in the kennel until we arrive is San Francisco. You need a transit permit for your dog in Taipei to change flights. You need an export permit from Thailand and one from the USA upon return, certified no more than 10 days before departure. We always have to carry a knife in our checked baggage to cut the cable ties they put on her kennel. Then we get her out ASAP and have food and more water. Those spill proof water bowls really make a difference! We don't drug her, she just has to deal with it as we do...

I am passing the immigration at Don Muang airport almost every week as i am working in a neighbor country but actually live in Phuket. I always fill in immigration form the address of my house in Phuket where I live. As there are no direct flight from where i coming to Phuket, and instead of booking only 1 ticket to Phuket, for specific reason, I always book 2 separate tickets, 1 to bkk and another to Phuket. Means i am not on CIQ and must pass immigration in BKK, then go up to the domestic departure and check in again to Phuket.

I have done that for about 3 years now but I noticed since few weeks now that when they are reading the address on my immigration card, they are asking me to show them my flight ticket to Phuket. For info, I am on visa Non O 1 year muti entry.

It's a requirement , may as well always fill it in or suffer the possible inconveniences!

Note that it says "address in Thailand," not "hotel address." One can stay at a private address, like one's Thai wife's family, in which case there is obviously no hotel address required. .

It's a requirement , may as well always fill it in or suffer the possible inconveniences!

Note that it says "address in Thailand," not "hotel address." One can stay at a private address, like one's Thai wife's family, in which case there is obviously no hotel address required. .

That's right, as long as there's an address there all's normally good,

Thanks

In the hold. It is pressurized and not freezing there.

This sounds like Bullshit to me .You can Enter the Country and look where you want to spend the night/nights !That has nothing to do with Immigration,,,(My Opinion)Maybe Wrong

You would be wrong. It's a legal requirement here in Thailand to be registered to Immigration at your place of residence. Many countries require an address on the arrival card. But I've never seen any query about the address I write, even DownTown Hotel in Main Street ...

I was a regular at the Hilton,never stayed there,don't even know where it is.