Airport Immigration: No hotel booked ==> No entry to Thailand

simon43

So we just need to tell our wives to answer the phone as "Sabaidee #1938489503 hotel waaaalcam" when we come back from a visa run?

Presumably (I hope!), expats are excluded from this new (still-to-be-confirmed) rule.

have you ever read your thai arrival and departure card? DO SO!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This sounds like Bullshit to me .You can Enter the Country and look where you want to spend the night/nights !That has nothing to do with Immigration,,,(My Opinion)Maybe Wrong

My daughter came in at the NongKhai Border Crossing last month and she had to call me to get the correct spelling of our address because she had spelled the Tambon wrong and the officer wouldn't stamp her in. It's not like it was in the good old days, if someone lets you through without an address or hotel booking then count yourself blessed.

This is some kind of scam. Clearly it's impractical. Will put off tourists. If really enforced people will just fill in any hotel that pops into their mind - so meaningless

So you don't write anything next to address?

It's a normal requirement for an arrival card.

Edited by beechbum

This is some kind of scam. Clearly it's impractical. Will put off tourists. If really enforced people will just fill in any hotel that pops into their mind - so meaningless

No more meaningless than the new requirement to fill in a phone number on the TM6, which does not yet have a space for it.

The helpful stooge controlling the line at immigration says "Telephone number you in Thailand!"

I say "No have." He looks at me as though it is impossible for anyone to exist without a telephone.

"Telephone you in your country!"

So I write my telephone number at home, which I am unable to answer for the duration of my stay in Thailand.

He is happy then.

"Telephone you in your country!"

So I write my telephone number at home, which I am unable to answer for the duration of my stay in Thailand.

He is happy then.

I had the same thing. I don't think they can take the requirements of a mad bureaucracy any more seriously than most of the farangs. I said my first night was the Pikul in Nong Khai - at 2045 in Bangkok - and that was fine. It's like the person on the underground looking in your bag but not in the 80L rucksack you're wearing. It can't make any sense to try to search every bag, targeted searches (or random) would work, but there's no appealing to reason so just go with the flow.

I guess I never had the issues that people are now whinging about. I always had a room booked before my arrival, before I had a house here. Now no issue, same address for ten years, same phone number for that long too. As the OP mentioned he was getting calls in the wee hours of the morning, when you should know where you are going to stay that night, then you can move on to another place and they are supposed to take your passport number and register you with immigration. It's been the law for the past 11 years that I've been traveling here. The phone number is recent though and they want it on the front page of your extension, re-entry permit, 90 day checkin now. What are you going to do? Follow the rules, or bitch about it and be denied entry or an extension? To me, it's NO BIG DEAL!

In November they need place of residence and absolutely phone number even if there no case to write it on the TM? card at Suvarnabumi.

same for me in December , I made up a phone number because I did not remember mine and had not changed out my USA Sim card yet......

Next time I will write it down before I get there just in case they call it :)

Phuket Airport Immigration and customs is the worst I've ever dealt with. Last time we flew in my wife's two bags were checked though from San Francisco, mine were picked up in Bangkok as one of my checked pieces was our dog and you have to pick your dog up in Bangkok, and go to the quarantine office to have your paperwork checked and pay the 100 Baht fee then off to customs to check my paperwork. I had paid them the 1,000 Baht fee last time, as long as you have your receipt, it is a one time fee. So, no fee. We were cleared by customs.

We go to pick up our two bags from the international bag terminal at Phuket, they wanted to see my dogs paperwork then X-rayed all our bags, even the one already cleared in Bangkok. My wife got pissed! Pretty much told the head woman to f off and that she's an idiot! She didn't want to deal with my wife (Thai, university educated, former supervisor at IBM and Hitachi) so she stopped me. I pretty much tossed the large packet of paperwork for my dog and said here, look all you want! We were cleared in BKK! She took couple photos of the customs clearance and we went on our way home. Just what you want to deal with after about a 24 hour or more trip!

I have never traveled with a dog but I have been stopped by customs in the USA and a few other countries over the years where they want to x-ray all my bags, so this can happen anywhere not just in Phuket. How about flying through Japan you get off the plane and have to go through security check again if in transit. Unfortunately this his how things are when traveling the world. I understand it's a pain in the a#s but from time to time we all have to deal with it. Dont see what your wife having a Uni degree has anything to do with things. Your wife having a hissy fit just because she thinks she is better than someone working at an airport because she as a university degree and worked for some high profile companies is BS. The lady at customs was just doing her job. I have hired a few girls from top universities paid them good money but always had an issue as they treat all the other staff like shit.

Read it again then you might get it why she got pissed! Read -> understand -> think -> answer....not to difficult or not?

I do not understand. The entry form merely asks for an address in Thailand. Why does it have to be a hotel? For the last 30 years I have always declared the house in Nong Hoy which we bought when we married. I have only once had any comment on this when any Immigration Officer at Chiang Mai Airport told my wife that she was a lucky woman.

I do not understand. The entry form merely asks for an address in Thailand. Why does it have to be a hotel? For the last 30 years I have always declared the house in Nong Hoy which we bought when we married. I have only once had any comment on this when any Immigration Officer at Chiang Mai Airport told my wife that she was a lucky woman.

It doesn't HAVE to be a hotel address.

It's not just a Thai thing, an intended address is a requirement on arrival cards for lots of country's.

Agreed, and it makes sense too.

In Australia you are required to enter an address even as a resident. Everyone needs to provide one.

they are trying to scam you...

and you wish, pray, beg, hope, gravel that they let you into the country to get scammed more...

come again..

next time bring more money

Who's being scammed by writing their home/hotel address?

Phuket Airport Immigration and customs is the worst I've ever dealt with. Last time we flew in my wife's two bags were checked though from San Francisco, mine were picked up in Bangkok as one of my checked pieces was our dog and you have to pick your dog up in Bangkok, and go to the quarantine office to have your paperwork checked and pay the 100 Baht fee then off to customs to check my paperwork. I had paid them the 1,000 Baht fee last time, as long as you have your receipt, it is a one time fee. So, no fee. We were cleared by customs.

We go to pick up our two bags from the international bag terminal at Phuket, they wanted to see my dogs paperwork then X-rayed all our bags, even the one already cleared in Bangkok. My wife got pissed! Pretty much told the head woman to f off and that she's an idiot! She didn't want to deal with my wife (Thai, university educated, former supervisor at IBM and Hitachi) so she stopped me. I pretty much tossed the large packet of paperwork for my dog and said here, look all you want! We were cleared in BKK! She took couple photos of the customs clearance and we went on our way home. Just what you want to deal with after about a 24 hour or more trip!

I have never traveled with a dog but I have been stopped by customs in the USA and a few other countries over the years where they want to x-ray all my bags, so this can happen anywhere not just in Phuket. How about flying through Japan you get off the plane and have to go through security check again if in transit. Unfortunately this his how things are when traveling the world. I understand it's a pain in the a#s but from time to time we all have to deal with it. Dont see what your wife having a Uni degree has anything to do with things. Your wife having a hissy fit just because she thinks she is better than someone working at an airport because she as a university degree and worked for some high profile companies is BS. The lady at customs was just doing her job. I have hired a few girls from top universities paid them good money but always had an issue as they treat all the other staff like shit.

Read it again then you might get it why she got pissed! Read -> understand -> think -> answer....not to difficult or not?

I read it and understood completely. If they are going to xray the other bags what difference does it make if they x-ray one more bag or not takes but less than 1 minute longer, no need to get pissy about it and tell the person to <deleted>> off, the lady is just doing her job.

and you wish, pray, beg, hope, gravel that they let you into the country to get scammed more...

come again..

he is, as soon as its signed hes already buying a house for his recent honey. Easier to blame the immigration.

Edited by bearpolar

I'm surprised that nobody has realised why the immigration officers at Phuket airport, as they do in many countries, require an address or contact details of arrivals.

In case of somebody on your aircraft is discovered to have a contagious disease and anyone coming in contact with that person may well be needing medical attention and to be a virus carrier also.

I read it and understood completely. If they are going to xray the other bags what difference does it make if they x-ray one more bag or not takes but less than 1 minute longer, no need to get pissy about it and tell the person to <deleted>> off, the lady is just doing her job.

She and I were pissed about her attitude and about wanting to see the dog's paperwork, again. She saw us come into the international pickup area with our dog. The dog cleared customs in BKK as she must do! It never happened before... Next time we'll know better than bring our already cleared dog and bag into the international baggage pickup area in Phuket Get it now?

Edited by Jimi007

come again..

he is, as soon as its signed hes already buying a house for his recent honey. Easier to blame the immigration.

Ok, whatever you recon.

I'm surprised that nobody has realised why the immigration officers at Phuket airport, as they do in many countries, require an address or contact details of arrivals.

In case of somebody on your aircraft is discovered to have a contagious disease and anyone coming in contact with that person may well be needing medical attention and to be a virus carrier also.

Also for various security reasons.

But Immigration should know residence within 24 hours as the housemaster must by law register foreign guests.

Other than refugees, I cannot imagine anyone showing up at the front door of a foreign country without a booking for where they planned to sleep that night.

I have done that many times , all over the world , just last year in Taiwan ,

But I do not think asking for an address in Thailand is bad , but a phone number when you are just getting off the plane is pretty hard to do and more than half probably never get a Thai sim card anyway.

So we just need to tell our wives to answer the phone as "Sabaidee #1938489503 hotel waaaalcam" when we come back from a visa run?

Presumably (I hope!), expats are excluded from this new (still-to-be-confirmed) rule.

So we expats are not Westerners. I have no doubt all non-Thais will be asked for address confirmation in Thailand, or maybe this is a new Immigration scam.

No, they asked me for address in Thailand on 90 day renewal at Tachilek border, caught me out as did not know house Number in Soi so made number up and let me go but did not look happy.

Next time I went through gave correct Number and they did not flinch.

They could get difficult if they wanted to so beware if doing a border renewal to take a rental agrrement or house book copy just in case you get one who will enforce this rule.

It's a requirement , may as well always fill it in or suffer the possible inconveniences!

It is very difficult for some Thai Visa, Tourist to write that they will go to Nana, Soi Cowboy, get drunk, robbed, get into a fight and sleep in the parking lot of one of the banks, supermarkets. There are not enough lines on the Arrival Card.

I should clarify that the Immigration Officer wanted proof that the tourists had booked to stay at a hotel, not just some hotel name written on the immigration card.

When they were unable to produce a hotel voucher or email confirmation, he told them to go and book a hotel and then provide him with the hotel details, including telephone number. He then called me and waited for me to confirm that these people had just booked my hotel. Only then did he stamp them in.

have you ever read your thai arrival and departure card? DO SO!

You misunderstand me. I know all about the existing, reporting requirements. I was referring to the requirement by this immigration officer to show proof that they had booked a hotel.