South- bound train crash kills five in Phetchaburi

webfact

South- bound train crash kills five in Phetchaburi

80-wpcf_728x409.jpg

PHETCHABURI: -- Five persons were killed and a dozen injured when a Thonburi-Langsuan passenger train crashed into a running truck at a railway crossing in Phetchaburi province.

The incident happened at Khao Thamon railway station in Phetburi province at 10.35 am today.

The locomotive and five rail cars derailed and blocked the tracks after the impact.

The truck was carrying a number of cattle while it was crossing the manned railway crossing and ignoring the stop sign.

More than 30 passengers were also injured in the crash within two days after the oil train derailment in Lamphun province.

Witnesses said the truck driver violated the traffic light at the manned railway crossing and drove the truck across the crossing while the south-bound train was coming.

The incident forced the railway officials to stop two south-bound trains from Bangkok at Cha-am railway station and transfer all passengers by buses to Phetchaburi to continue their journey to Lang Suan in Chumphon.

All the injured passengers were admitted to hospitals in Phetchaburi and Cha-am.

Five died at the scene, including the truck driver.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/south-bound-train-crash-kills-five-in-phetchaburi

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-01-08

Five persons were killed and a dozen injured when a Thonburi-Langsuan passenger train crashed into a running truck at a railway crossing in Phetchaburi province.

So I take it that the pick up truck was waiting for the railway crossing lights, and the train went off the rails and crashed into the truck. Right?

Edited by TheCruncher

Five persons were killed and a dozen injured when a Thonburi-Langsuan passenger train crashed into a running truck at a railway crossing in Phetchaburi province.

So I take it that the pick up truck was waiting for the railway crossing lights, and the train went off the rails and crashed into the truck. Right?

No pick up truck involved from what I'm reading, the running-truck carrying cattle went through the red light and the train hit it.

Somewhere between Cha-am & Phetburi I guess which is single track so no trains in either direction.

Fourth paragraph explains clearly.

Truck ran the stop light.

Edited by apetley

This might sound a little cold, but the one good thing to come from this incident, is that the truck driver is permanently off the road. What kind of mind races in front of an oncoming train?

Who was his mother? Who taught him the basics about life? Even if there was absolutely no consideration of his own safety, what about all of those people on the train? Was there any presence at all? Where was this guys mind?

Edited by spidermike007

This might sound a little cold, but the one good thing to come from this incident, is that the truck driver is permanently off the road. What kind of mind races in front of an oncoming train?

Who was his mother? Who taught him the basics about life? Even if there was absolutely no consideration of his own safety, what about all of those people on the train? Was there any presence at all? Where was this guys mind?

A terrible shame, as usual. I see it every day, nothing new about people dodging around the barriers or running the lights on railway crossings, or even the road for that matter. Until such time as people are educated properly in the road rules and law enforcement actually enforces them, it will continue to happen and innocents will continue to die. They also have realise that Buddha is not going to stop a train going through a railway crossing, so wait for it to pass before you cross, if so instructed to do.

Congratulations on your inability to read English. The article clearly, for some of us, states that the truck driver ignored the flashing red light and drove his truck across the tracks as the train was coming.

Obviously, the truck driver was just another arrogant, stupid person who thought he could out run a train. Too bad the cattle had to die.

coffee1.gif

A terrible shame, as usual. I see it every day, nothing new about people dodging around the barriers or running the lights on railway crossings, or even the road for that matter. Until such time as people are educated properly in the road rules and law enforcement actually enforces them, it will continue to happen and innocents will continue to die. They also have realise that Buddha is not going to stop a train going through a railway crossing, so wait for it to pass before you cross, if so instructed to do.

I am often astonished by how often cars, trucks and motorbikes cut in front of me, enter the highway in front of me with so little safety clearance, or cross the highway entirely, as I am approaching. Often, I look in my rearview, and there is not another vehicle in sight. Which means they could have hesitated two seconds, and crossed with a large margin of safety, instead of putting their lives, my life, and the lives of their family at risk. Is it possible that some Thais simply do not possess that survival instinct that tells them to wait? Is it possible there is simply no thought given to the process? Is it possible they actually want to take the risk? Perhaps crossing with a margin of safety is too boring? Whatever it is, it is alway quite amazing to witness.

I am often astonished by how often cars, trucks and motorbikes cut in front of me, enter the highway in front of me with so little safety clearance, or cross the highway entirely, as I am approaching. Often, I look in my rearview, and there is not another vehicle in sight. Which means they could have hesitated two seconds, and crossed with a large margin of safety, instead of putting their lives, my life, and the lives of their family at risk. Is it possible that some Thais simply do not possess that survival instinct that tells them to wait? Is it possible there is simply no thought given to the process? Is it possible they actually want to take the risk? Perhaps crossing with a margin of safety is too boring? Whatever it is, it is alway quite amazing to witness.

I'm told it's because Buddha will look out for them, so they don't have to look for themselves and if he doesn't, that's the way it was supposed to be.

Congratulations on your inability to read English. The article clearly, for some of us, states that the truck driver ignored the flashing red light and drove his truck across the tracks as the train was coming.

Obviously, the truck driver was just another arrogant, stupid person who thought he could out run a train. Too bad the cattle had to die.

coffee1.gif

Sorry, I have to take pity with you for being born without a sense of sarcasm.

Please read the words !!!!!!!!!!! The truck started to cross the lines, ignoring the STOP SIGNALS and was hit by the train

So an other truck driver who did think that he was right at all times and could do what he wanted , Was really wrong this time and lost more than Face, Death this time,He won't do that again !

Except the farce of a system which tells you like most religions you will be reborn to do it again Religion is stupidity personified and I dont have to respect any of them as they are based on NOTHING.

What is considered to be a "manned crossing"? From the pictures it looks like there were only crossing gates with flashing lights, no?

And who operates the gates then, a monkey?

Oh, gosh, I don't know, maybe some sort of electric sensing switch tripped by an approaching train, like in the western world?

Pictures seem to have been removed from the linked source article in the OP, but I didn't recall seeing a booth that would be "manned," though there might be one. I don't drive across train tracks in Thailand very often -- is it common to have a human being at railroad crossings to manually (flip a switch to?) raise/lower the gates?

Anybody got any figures on how many derailments there are a year here?

Scares the heck out of me that they want to actually pursue high speed trains!!

This was NOT a derailment.

This was an idiot driver driving one of them old Izuzu trucks with the wooden cab without doors that holds the whole family crossing the rail line in front of an oncoming train being hit by the locomotive causing the locomotive to be lifted OFF the rail and in the process pulling the carriages it was pulling also OFF the rail and in this case some flipped over on their side.

Anything moving contains inertia the faster it moves the more inertia. The heavier it is the more inertia.

This inertia is the cause when applying brakes that it cannot stop right there and then.

First things first, the inertia has to be broken before any stopping will begin.

If you do not have ABS when applying heavy pressure on the brake system the brake system causes the wheels to lockup and sliding will begin with loss of direction control.

Trains do not have ABS. Neither do heavy trucks because for heavy trucks ABS is toooo expensive., so it is for busses. Unless passenger safety is a requirement then the cost is overlooked and the bus is equipped with ABS.

You will see especial tour busses with ABS but practically seldom do you see a heavy truck trailer (40-ton load) with ABS.

As for High Speed trains.

It is better hoped for that common sense prevails in mountainous Thailand (Bangkok going North).

I have been on High Speed trains the Bullet train in Japan and the French High Speed train in France and both run on practically speaking straight tracks in pretty much flat terrain.

None of this is available here in mountainous Thailand track area under consideration.

​If Thailand insist on laying the High Speed track through the mountains it will not be a High Speed train trip. Because in the mountains going round curves and bends upslope and downslope the speed MUST be reduced.

​LOL - LOS.

How about pursuing more careful drivers that aren't so stupid as to try to beat an oncoming train!!!!

The incident forced the railway officials to stop two south-bound trains from Bangkok at Cha-am railway station and transfer all passengers by buses to Phetchaburi to continue their journey to Lang Suan in Chumphon.

South-bound trains at Cha-am already would have passed the accident. Khao Thamon is south of Phethaburi between Phetchaburi and Cha-am. So why stop these trains when the accident was behind them. Do you get it ???

NO read it again

Right!

Keep at least a Kilometre away from a rail track, as these runaway trains cannot be trusted!

Thank you for the life saving tip.

bah.gif

Edited by ravip