Shipping my old laptop from U.S. to Chiang Mai

bnzgrl

Hello,

I need to ship my used, 3 year old laptop (17 inch) from LA to Chiang Mai. I am having my friend send it USPS. What should my friend put on the custom form as well as value amount to minimize any fees and problems on this end?

Also, I'd like to ship some supplements, herbs I can't get here in the box with the laptop. Should I do that or just ship the supplements in a seperate shipment? I've had my friend ship a small box of supplements twice before thru USPS with no problems, but not sure if it's better to send with laptop or not.

Thanks.

I can just envision a lot of problems shipping a laptop from USA. Customs (regardless of what you put on customs form), damage and most importantly the shipping cost.

If you still decide to go through the hassle I would just ship everything together.

Just a note. When I order supplements through iherb, I find the total cost (including shipping) less than what I would pay for shipping alone.

To me, it's just not worth the effort or risk.

What is the problem with the battery?

Yeah, I need the laptop, not just the HDD. Anyways, most of my stuff is saved in Dropbox.

My friend is kind enough to take care of the shipping cost on her end. Do you guys think I will be paying more than $50 for customs fees/taxes here? I haven't even looked at how much a new laptop would be here.

value + shipping cost + insurance cost = X

X x import duty = Y

Y x 7% tax = Z

Z + "Handling fee" = usually fowl language and a sharp intake of breathe and what you finally pay.

All this is pretty much guaranteed if you use any form of "courier".

I ship loads of new and used items in so heres my 2c

Its like this.. If you send by any courier they will hit you with (usually) 30 + 7 % interest.. On the item plus shipping..

If you ship via USPS and under declare it is hit and miss.. Theres a 20 USD (think 1000b) tax free.. But items like this, they just make up a number, fact is that number is almost always cheaper than the legit 37%.. usually they just ask for a couple of 1000..

The thing is, by being 'half honest' and saying 100 or 200 bucks, doesnt seem to win you any favors, they just make a slightly higher number.. They totally ignore the value declaration and make it up.. I have even had legit things that cost 60 or 70 bucks, and they made it 200 and there was no way to argue it (sure, send it back to bangkok and appeal.. maybes takes 6 weeks !! maybe they lose it !! maybe anything)..

I just send everything at 20 and then argue it out.. Oddly size doesnt make much difference, I once sent an entire front end of a motorbikes and all its bodywork plastics.. 2 huge boxes weighing many 10s of kilos at 20 usd.. no extra bill !! Go figure..

Final advice would be buy one here second hand tho..

Unless something has changed recently, laptops are exempt from import duty in Thailand. I have myself ordered a laptop and related thing. Being declared appropriately, have had no problems or unexpected charges receiving it. There's an Thai government on-line site where import duty is listed for various things, though I don't have the address of that site saved.

Yes, I think you're right, I had read it on some other site that laptops are exempt from import duty. Also looked up Thailand on dutycalculator.com and found this:

Notes on duty & taxes rates and compliance

Laptop Computer is duty free and a has a VAT rate of 7%, Interior Tax rate is 0%, Surcharge rate is 0% . Restrictions may apply for shipping this product with courier or postal companies [some probability]. Packaging and labelling requirements apply to Lithium batteries whether they are contained in the equipment or sent separately from the device. Please, contact your courier for more information. This product has dual-use and therefore requires an Export Control Classification Number (ECCN) [High probability].

Notes on import taxes due

Please note that your shipping provider may add an additional handling fee

Read more on how import duty & taxes are calculated for Thailand here

Looking on USPS for restrictions to Thailand on lithium battery, it says as long as the battery is properly installed in the equipment is fine to ship.

try some shipping company who can without customs fees delivery.

Its have. help buy in ebay etc.

i am few time have try, but now not have link its be more year ago. its be cost near 400-500 bath per kg+ domestic delivery and 3-10 days if by plane. if by ship i pay for 50kg near 2000 bath.

Now regular use delivery from China or HK also only pay per kg or per m3 without any tax or customs fees

so you try find in internet. better Thai language

I ship loads of new and used items in so heres my 2c

Its like this.. If you send by any courier they will hit you with (usually) 30 + 7 % interest.. On the item plus shipping..

If you ship via USPS and under declare it is hit and miss.. Theres a 20 USD (think 1000b) tax free.. But items like this, they just make up a number, fact is that number is almost always cheaper than the legit 37%.. usually they just ask for a couple of 1000..

The thing is, by being 'half honest' and saying 100 or 200 bucks, doesnt seem to win you any favors, they just make a slightly higher number.. They totally ignore the value declaration and make it up.. I have even had legit things that cost 60 or 70 bucks, and they made it 200 and there was no way to argue it (sure, send it back to bangkok and appeal.. maybes takes 6 weeks !! maybe they lose it !! maybe anything)..

I just send everything at 20 and then argue it out.. Oddly size doesnt make much difference, I once sent an entire front end of a motorbikes and all its bodywork plastics.. 2 huge boxes weighing many 10s of kilos at 20 usd.. no extra bill !! Go figure..

Final advice would be buy one here second hand tho..

This was your only decent response. I have had well over 100 parcels sent here and can confirm that Thai customs does not pay any attention to what the declaration on the parcel says. Courier services (DHL, UPS, FedEx, etc) will incur maximum fees. USPS or other countries post will lessen the chance of customs fees.

Edited by Smokin Joe

I think the first step would be to see what a replacement that is equal or better would cost here, with a new warranty and fresh battery. You might find that for 3-5K more..you will be guaranteed a brand new one here, and still have the old one back in LA. Factor in the chances of breakage, it getting lost, or customs playing hardball...and it will make more sense. And also price a new battery.....could cost as much as a replacement computer, and if the old battery dies, it will be worth about 2500 THB.

I think you would have a big problem shipping it with

the battery,

regards Worgeordie

It will not go through with the battery in. It will be x-rayed and upon discovering the battery it will be returned to sender -- 100%.

Nope,incorrect in every way. The problem is shipping the batteries separate. You are SUPPOSE to leave batteries in items, not ship alone.

I bought a new Mac Book Pro here for over 70,000 bht and had quite a few problems so after Icare here couldn't fix it after multiple tries I asked Apple if I could send it to the USA for warranty service. I sent it for reasonsble money but it cost 15,000 bht just for customs fee coming back on a used laptop that I bought here and already paid tax sales tax on. Seemed like they picked the max amount they'd figure I'd be willing to pay before it wasn't worth it to me anymore. This was Fed-Ex, the worst! I've had better service with UPS but payed 900 bht customs fee on a 5000 bht new bike parts from Ireland recently with them. I prefer using DHL when possible.

I bought a new Mac Book Pro here for over 70,000 bht and had quite a few problems so after Icare here couldn't fix it after multiple tries I asked Apple if I could send it to the USA for warranty service. I sent it for reasonsble money but it cost 15,000 bht just for customs fee coming back on a used laptop that I bought here and already paid tax sales tax on. Seemed like they picked the max amount they'd figure I'd be willing to pay before it wasn't worth it to me anymore. This was Fed-Ex, the worst! I've had better service with UPS but payed 900 bht customs fee on a 5000 bht new bike parts from Ireland recently with them. I prefer using DHL when possible.

Next time consider calling Apple service Singapore and arrange to have them transport and service it. Transport via CM iCare, no cost or customs fee.

Write on the declaration "samples only, no commercial value."

Gift.. Sample.. No value.. They dont care.. They just think of a number... Its then up to you to argue it..

I admit, generally by making everything 20 bucks, I am well ahead of the game, but sometimes they have no idea how cheap stuff overseas really is.. Also no amount of documentary proof etc can make them change..