Buying Thai gold

I have a question... what is with all the button pushing on those calculators that the gold shop staff do when you go in and ask how much. Gold has a market price then if you add the profit margin that should give you 2 numbers to enter in. But one can stand there and watch them hit button for like full minute. Then they come up with a number that seems to make no sense to me at all. So between the 2 price system here and the feeling that someone is being taken for a price ride... I thought I would ask. I simply want to buy one of those 20 or 10 gram (aprox) bars as a gift. Not interested in the chain, rings, etc.

Any info and/or advise would be great. Thanks in advance!

You are forgetting the cosmetic aspect, the jewellery/design etc, its not just the gold weight. It had to be made into a ring a bracelet a necklace or whatever.

In reverse, selling it to the shop, its the weight, the scrap value of just the weight nothing more.

I have a question... what is with all the button pushing on those calculators that the gold shop staff do when you go in and ask how much. Gold has a market price then if you add the profit margin that should give you 2 numbers to enter in. But one can stand there and watch them hit button for like full minute. Then they come up with a number that seems to make no sense to me at all. So between the 2 price system here and the feeling that someone is being taken for a price ride... I thought I would ask. I simply want to buy one of those 20 or 10 gram (aprox) bars as a gift. Not interested in the chain, rings, etc.

Any info and/or advise would be great. Thanks in advance!

If you are just buying a 'block' of gold ... one baht of gold ...you should just be paying the advertised price. The shop will display the buying and selling price of one baht.

For jewerly as explained by CharlieH.

Edited by JAS21

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If you have a smartphone loading an App like "thai gold price" is an easy way of answering the OP

In fact you can just listen for the pleasant chime(Accompanied by green coloured Numbers on the website) if the prices have gone Up and a less pleasant sound if prices have fallen and are showing Red coloured numeralssmile.png

http://www.goldtraders.or.th/