What are they building here?

Guderian

Some sort of large hall or warehouse style building going up next door to the almost-finished Supalai Mare condo on Thepprasit. Ritta's website says they have experience building conference centres (like PEACH) and commercial structures like supermarkets. So does anyone know what they are building here?

post-51556-0-20619500-1452314539_thumb.j

I've been wondering about that for a while. Seems more like a supermarket-type structure to me, though I suppose it could be some sort of theatre/entertainment building like the Colosseum cabaret more or less opposite.

Land in this area is selling for around 30-40 million Baht per rai these days so I'd say it's unlikely to be an industrial building. I was also guessing either a supermarket or entertainment venue of some sort, but the architecture doesn't look grandiose enough for anything to rival the Colosseum. They're also extending the front of the building in an odd way which may make it easier to tell what it will be in time. I was hoping one of the better-informed people here might already know.

Well, it seems that there's nobody out there who's 'in the know' on this one.

One thing I noticed is that the workers have built their shacks way to the back of this warehouse-type building. If you drive from Thepprasit along soi 8 then just after Momento Beach on the left you can see them, a two-storey structure unusually. So I'm guessing that they're going to build something residential between the warehouse thing and soi 8. I just don;t see how that warehouse fits in with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well spotted. I can't say that the structure they're building there at the moment (see OP) looks much like the artist's impression in the article:

post-137452-0-59930600-1453531206.jpg

but the 10 rai of land sounds about right for that spot. At 2000/3000 Baht per ticket though I don't think they'll be seeing much custom from me!

2000/3000B sounds rather a lot for Pattaya to me too, especially so far away from the centre of town.

I'm not sure whether that place is really the same one you photographed though, as the other article gives the impression that work hasnt started yet. There are a couple of other more-or-less empty sites along there that they could fit such a development on.

2000/3000B sounds rather a lot for Pattaya to me too, especially so far away from the centre of town.

I'm not sure whether that place is really the same one you photographed though, as the other article gives the impression that work hasnt started yet. There are a couple of other more-or-less empty sites along there that they could fit such a development on.

Wherever it's built it's going to mean yet more buses and coaches turning and parking on a road that's already the most dangerous in Pattaya. You expect coaches to go t a place like the Colosseum show, but now I see them every day turning into the Rattanakorn market. I know Pattaya is a bit short of free attractions, but do all those Chinese tourists really want to come here to see a big wet market? :rolleyes:

Since it seems to be very difficult to be taken to court for false advertising or giving out miss-information to the public, you can have an artist draw anything and it will not matter if the finished project does not look like the artist or architects image. Look at the predicted drawings of the new Beach Road promenade a couple years ago- did it turn out like the artist drawing? I always chuckle to myself when there is a artist impression or a picture doctored up by a photo-shop application showing a spanking new condominium project along a smooth looking avenue, with a row of trees, no exposed tangled utility wires (hidden), and (of course) some dump out-door bar or massage parlor parked next to it. -Better yet, any restaurant can place a photo of some mouth watering meal on posters or in the menu and the photo has nothing to do with the actual meal.

From cinema website factsheet:

http://kaanshow.com/assets/images/Fact%20Sheet%20Eng%2020_01_16.pdf

All aspects of theatre design and construction is managed by two of Thailand’s leading architectural and

construction companies :
• A49 : Thailand’s leading architectural company
• Ritta : Thailand’s leading construction company

so ritta in the picture and in that factsheet so i quess cinema it is..

Edited by thaitero

Yes, it does sound like this is probably it. So it will be a fancy animatronic/computer-generated experience of some Thai or Hindu stories, but what is the 'levitating cinema' bit all about? Does the cinema itself float in the air, or is it the audience?

• 2 months later...

Yes, definitely seems to be the "levitating" theatre previously mentioned. There is now a Google map on their website which puts it in the same position.

I wonder whether the "levitation" bit refers to the way that the ground floor will apparently be entirely open?

Construction is proceeding apace, but I can't honestly say that it looks exactly like the artist's impression above.

But if we realized that something under construction can't just Poof! from day one look exactly like an artist's impression of the finished product, we'd have a lot less fun, eh.

• 1 month later...

They are building so fast, almost finished ! Now lets see if they can sell their overpriced tickets ?

it will be the usual double pricing, thai and asia can get there for 200 baht meanwhile the farang and his family can go there for 2000 baht each...