On Nut Beer Drinking Options | Urgent!

smileplur

Hi forum! I have a friend who is only going to be in Bangkok for a few hours. She is meeting me in a few hours at Tesco Lotus - On Nut. She comes every year like this and we usually go to the On Nut Beer Garden. I have since moved away from Bangkok and am heading there just to meet her for a few beers. I have read that the On Nut Beer Garden is now closed. So, where can we go to have a few beers?

I read that there is something on Soi 81 over the Klong bridge. I don't know if this is a viable option. I am meeting her at 5 o'clock. I will park at Tesco. I don't want to spend ages wandering around. Rather, I would just like to find a place for a couple of beers and a nice chat with my friend. She will head to the airport a couple of hours later. Any thoughts or suggestions are most welcome.

Cabana is ok ... and there's many hotels nearby. Or just get the BTS to Phrakanong or Thong Lor ... have many bars ... only 10 min trip.

Good suggestion. Phrakanong beer Garden behind the w Building is one of the best places for a drink andd fodd in BKK.

Cabana is ok ... and there's many hotels nearby. Or just get the BTS to Phrakanong or Thong Lor ... have many bars ... only 10 min trip.

Good suggestion. Phrakanong beer Garden behind the w Building is one of the best places for a drink andd fodd in BKK.

and there are hotel rooms nearby rolleyes.gif

There's a few options in On Nut for a drink...

You've got...

Soi 79 Corner Bar - new outdoor bar right at the steps of the BTS opposite from Tesco just a short walk from Soi 79. It just opened a couple of weeks ago and has about a dozen tables and a few foodstalls around a small patch of water. Just next to the Ideo Verve Condo.

Further along at the entrance to where the market used to be another new place popped up some time over Christmas. It's not much more than a bar, fridge and 4 or 5 tables. Right on Sukhumvit road too. No idea of the name. It's got some womens fashion stalls next to it.

Tycoon Classic new outdoor bar at the new community mall at Soi 54, short walk from Tesco. Opened over the festive period too. It's a small bar, a few tables, a small stage for live music and a BBQ place. The mall isn't fully operational yet so not that busy but expect it will get busier soon. Sunrise Tacos / Subway opening soon and Tom n Toms, 7/11, a hotdog place and a ramen restaurant already there.

Tycoon Classic original place down Soi 52 way. This is on a dark road off Soi 52 or can be accessed by soi 50. Bit of a trek from BTS and on dark and bad roads. Nothing much about except this place here. It has a big outdoor beer garden though which is nice and live music. Not a bad place but haven't seen it busy any time I've been. Don't know why they picked this location tbh.

Drink Drank Drunk on Soi 50 next to the V50 hostel (I think that's the name). It's a coffee shop in the day and turns into a bar at night. Stays open until the last person leaves. Mix of backpackers from hostel and locals. Staff are friendly and will chat and drink with you. Cheap too. 80B for a big Leo if I remember right. Hit or miss if busy. Small place too. About 4 tables outside and a couple inside.

John's Bar on Soi 77. Walk past Big C and then keep going for a few minutes before you hit the bride. You'll see it. Never been inside so can't say if it's good.

The all night restaurant next to John's Bar. It stays open all night serving food and beer. Useful if you want a late night bite to eat and a nightcap. Good food too and interesting choices - venison, buffalo, ostrich and other things not exactly common.

As others have mentioned take a taxi / BTS to Phra Khanong and go W District. Bars and tons of food options. 100b big Leo and food ranges from Thai to steak to America to pizza to Spanish to Korean and beyond. Most of it is decent too.

Settled on (and by that I mean the only one we found open) John's Shophouse on On Nut (77). Quaint and quiet. 2 other Westerners at the bar. Menu looked good and the 2 reported the Philly Cheesesteak tasty, but you wouldn't confuse it with Philly. Leo/Singa/Chang 70/90. Most meals around 240. Good little spot that was open at 3p on a Sunday!

Tycoon Classic between 50 & 52 is nonexisting. Just walked it. Nothing on that isn't a new condo office.

It's there. Way down in Soi 54, after you hang a right to connect to Soi 50. From Soi 50, turn left into the soi right before the bridge where the expressway bridge crosses over. I've driven past it for years on the way to work and often thought it looks worth a visit. Never been in though.

Tycoon Classic between 50 & 52 is nonexisting. Just walked it. Nothing on that isn't a new condo office.

It's there. Way down in Soi 54, after you hang a right to connect to Soi 50. From Soi 50, turn left into the soi right before the bridge where the expressway bridge crosses over. I've driven past it for years on the way to work and often thought it looks worth a visit. Never been in though.

Oh, I think that's called Sawatdi 4 Alley. That looks like the connector between 54 & 50. 52 doesn't connect down there. The OP mentioned "dark, bad road, nothing to see here" along with 50 & 52, which sounded like the little connector (and only connection between the two) just a few meters from my place at Next.

If I'm feeling adventurous tomorrow, I think I found it on Google Map's street view (though that's horridly inaccurate in my experience.) Looks like it's only about a click from my place, so I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the info!

Hi! I just wanted to follow-up and let you all know that I found the so-called "new" beer garden situated on Soi 81. It was talked about in another thread. It is just up the soi and on the other side of the klong. It was nice enough with a few of the vendors from the old beer garden around. One of the two bars is owned by a foreigner. He was a little over the top with constant questions, but he was well meaning. It is much smaller than the old beer garden, but the atmosphere is nice.

Thanks a lot for the list above. That helps for the future. I lived in that area for years. As for Johns Shophouse & Deli, I have been there a few times. It isn't anything to write home about. It is more of a place for food than a drinking establishment. There is a small bar there that can sit about 5 people. I have only had the pies. When he opened, it was a nice change for the area. I have driven past a few times and saw that his menu offerings have expanded to include lasagna, etc. Best of luck all!

Last night we made it to "Mini Bar 3". At least that's what the guitar player called it. It's the little bar -- and I mean little -- that's on Sukhumvit, packed into the street vendors on the sidewalk. It's on the "even" side of Sukhumvit, just downstairs from the On Nut BTS station.

Nice little place. The standard Thai beer selection. 100 Baht for a big Leo, which isn't the cheapest or the most expensive you can find in the area. The two girls working the bar were quite friendly. As was the guitar player. We're now "Mister and Madame", perhaps forever.

I did a Scope from there if you want to see the place as we experienced it live. https://katch.me/OppTravelers/v/3e3435bc-f2d4-384f-9678-37e1e7d1fce9

Fun times. We'll be back, since it's the closest bar (that we know of) to us down at the end of Soi 52.

Archived