Will self driving cars ever take off in Thailand?

Jingthing

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

The topic is not whether Thailand will be on the "bleeding" edge, but rather will self driving car ever take off.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Fair enough but in my recent restart of this thread, which you responded to, I coached it more in terms of Thailand would be very LATE in the game and that will arguably put Thailand further back in global pack. 

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough but in my recent restart of this thread, which you responded to, I coached it more in terms of Thailand would be very LATE in the game and that will arguably put Thailand further back in global pack. 

And I submit that if it works anywhere, it will work anywhere.

And I have head no legitimate reason why it would not.

Just now, mogandave said:

We'll have to see.

I recently saw an article asserting it would be very hard in Kenya for similar reasons why it will probably be harder here. 

I think you know the reasons.

Already posted here (so won't repeat) and if not, observe the streets. 

Because many of the road layouts were designed by complete idiots and the car's processor would be thinking "That can't be right! No one is that stupid", which would cause the car to have an accident.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

There is another aspect to this. 

If you have a critical mass of self drivers on the streets, perhaps starting at 25 percent but certainly at 50 percent, the more logical behavior of the self drivers will inevitably impact on the driving culture even for drivers. They will have to adjust to rationality! 

Another Thailand thing. 

Doesn't Thailand have the highest motorcycle fatality rates in the world?

So even to cut that in half would be progress, and I've read that somewhat surprisingly self driving cars (again at critical mass) are theorized to make motorcycle driving MORE safe. 

Edited by Jingthing

Because many of the road layouts were designed by complete idiots and the car's processor would be thinking "That can't be right! No one is that stupid", which would cause the car to have an accident.

Again, I grew up driving in the US and I have been driving here for 16 years and I have not encountered anything on the road here that I have not encountered in the US except for a grown elephant in rush-hour traffic on Sukumvit. That said, I did watch Gunther Gerbil parade the animals from the Ringling train to the circus once back in the '80s.

I think the roads here are pretty good.

Again, I grew up driving in the US and I have been driving here for 16 years and I have not encountered anything on the road here that I have not encountered in the US except for a grown elephant in rush-hour traffic on Sukumvit. That said, I did watch Gunther Gerbil parade the animals from the Ringling train to the circus once back in the '80s.

I think the roads here are pretty good.

Love the kerbs that jut out 2 metres into the outside lane from U-turn points in the central reservation like they've just put in on the main Udon-Nong Bua Lamphu road. Loads of accidents every day and govt officials blatantly lying to cover up their retardedness.

I'll try and get some photos when the missus and her phone appear.

If a truck is carrying a load of railroad ties and one drops off the back and lands in the middle of a traffic lane, should a self driving car be equipped to avoid it?

I agree, working the bugs out would be easier in an area with a well laid out grid and courteous drivers, but there are hazards, drunks and a-holes everywhere.

Many of the topics and responses on tv give me my smile of the day but this one tops them all. Self driving car systems in thailand. They are not even close to being viable in developed countries but you think they can work here. Oh yes Google and Elon Musk say they work so it must be true.

Many of the topics and responses on tv give me my smile of the day but this one tops them all. Self driving car systems in thailand. They are not even close to being viable in developed countries but you think they can work here. Oh yes Google and Elon Musk say they work so it must be true.

To be clear,I don't see them really working anywhere.

But if they really work anywhere, there is no reason they won't work here.

I'm still going with the Thailand will be very late in the game (if ever) on self driving cars being widely adopted.

I strongly feel they will be widely adopted in some nations and the only question is how long that will take. 

This article asserts it will quite soon in the U.S.

I don't know if that's true of course, but the reason is interesting.

COST SAVINGS. 

Well compare to Thailand where so many people use motorcycles as their primary transport and also considering fairly decent PUBLIC transport in Bangkok and there is another reason Thailand will be slow.

A motorcycle is ALREADY cost savings. Surely shared cars would be more expensive than that.

https://techxplore.com/news/2017-05-analysis-extremely-disruptive-total-transition.html

Home

Energy & Green Tech

May 9, 2017

Analysis predicts extremely disruptive, total transition to EV / autonomous vehicles in 13 years

Edited by Jingthing

I don't agree. I'm convinced it's coming big time in the U.S. The optimists say 5 years. So more like 10 years. The U.S. has an orderly road system, a people who love high tech, driving is largely being stuck in traffic so not much "fun" anyway, and an aging population. Perfect for this.

You are correct. Driverless is the future.
However there would have to be a special "f/kwit" app for Thailand. The normal software cold not possibly cut it here.

Yes, people in the US will abandon their cars to save money.

That's why the HOV lanes in SoCal are all full of mothers with kids service trucks with crews, motorcycles and those silly-a** hybrids.

What is the likely is that do-gooders in the government will mandate it, cherry-pick which of their most generous contributors will get rich raking in all the government subsidies while stifling the technology.

If the end game is to get the poor out of cars and reduce traffic for the rich under the guise of heath and safety I think it will be a big success.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Heck, the poor are gonna be screwed regardless.
It's not as if the rise of these cars will mean there will be an improved mass transit system. 

Cheap cars, fuel and insurance helps the poor.

Adding at least $5K a unit to every new car, and prohibiting old non-driverless cars will get all those grubby blue-collar guys on the bus where they belong. The rich need clean air an open roads!

Just now, mogandave said:

Cheap cars, fuel and insurance helps the poor.

Adding at least $5K a unit to every new car, and prohibiting old non-driverless cars will get all those grubby blue-collar guys on the bus where they belong. The rich need clean air an open roads!

You're ignoring the model of FLEETS of public self driving cars that are on demand and you don't even need to park. That cost will be less than private ownership and would indeed help many lower wealth people. But obviously not all. 

You're ignoring the model of FLEETS of public self driving cars that are on demand and you don't even need to park. That cost will be less than private ownership and would indeed help many lower wealth people. But obviously not all. 

Sure it will.

It will great getting in a car after some moron wipes his a** on the upholstery.

If FLEETS of public use cars would be successful there would be no need to wait for self-driving cars.

The government can't even keep a public toilet open and working, but FLEETS of public use cars, yeah, that's the ticket!

Sure it will.

It will great getting in a car after some moron wipes his a** on the upholstery.

If FLEETS of public use cars would be successful there would be no need to wait for self-driving cars.

The government can't even keep a public toilet open and working, but FLEETS of public use cars, yeah, that's the ticket!

Fleets of self drivers. Could be like Uber but forget about driving as a future occupation.

If you don't want to share and can afford not to no problem at least during the transition years.

Fleets of self drivers. Could be like Uber but forget about driving as a future occupation.  
If you don't want to share and can afford not to no problem at least during the transition years.

Could be, they're in court with Google now over (apparently) industrial espionage.

So you think when Uber has to buy, maintain and insure all the cars the cost will come down?

As I mentioned earlier, I think liability is the biggest hurtle, not the technology.

You can have a $500K robot working in a controlled i environment assembling air conditioners and every once in a while it crashes. But when it's s car, instead of a defective coil, somebody's kid is dead.

Where this is going is that overall the self driven will be much safer. The liability issues are solvable. Early days!

Yes, I agree self driven will be safer than self driving.

Any idea how they might me solved?

How will the car know if it's a child, a big dog, or a child chasing a dog?

Would they be programmed to stop for pedestrian crossings? I foresee a million accidents lol

They need to be programmed to stop for a cat running across the street in a blizzard.

They need to be programmed to not run over a block the size of a pack of cigarettes in the middle of the road.

You went notice how you lose sat TV when it rains hard?

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

They need to be programmed to stop for a cat running across the street in a blizzard.

They need to be programmed to not run over a block the size of a pack of cigarettes in the middle of the road.

You went notice how you lose sat TV when it rains hard?

Sorry, i think my post was not clear.

What i tried to say is that the cars will be programmed to stop for pedestrians at unmonitored pedestrian crossings. This is the law in thailand.

The problem is that when you stop for pedestrians, the thai drivers behind you will inevitebly hit you from behind. Seen it twice already...

Sorry, i think my post was not clear.

What i tried to say is that the cars will be programmed to stop for pedestrians at unmonitored pedestrian crossings. This is the law in thailand.

The problem is that when you stop for pedestrians, the thai drivers behind you will inevitebly hit you from behind. Seen it twice already...

I understood what you said.

But programming cars to stop at crosswalks, as well as programming all the cars to stop behind the first car is a easy.

25 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I understood what you said.

But programming cars to stop at crosswalks, as well as programming all the cars to stop behind the first car is a easy.

Ofcourse, but you are talking far in the future when everybody has a self-driven car. Until then somchai will hit you from behind when he is driving his 125cc scooter.

*edit* Also my Thai driving teacher told me to not stop at stop signs in Thailand. He said it's too dangerous. And he is right. 

Now, again, will the cars be programmed to stop at stop signs and pedestrian crossings? If so, don't you think there will be a million accidents? This is why self-driven cars will probably never be allowed in Thailand.

However, I hope they will be allowed, and I hope that after the initial increase in accidents, the Thai drivers will always be at fault, and there will always be proof, because the self-driven cars obviously has cameras. And then over time, the driving habits of thais might improve. And then more people might start to use bicycles and stuff as well once the cars stop driving like maniacs.

Edited by hobz

On 1/9/2016 at 5:28 PM, Jingthing said:

I'm not talking right now.

The developers will be able to PROVE lower accident rates eventually, and the insurance companies will love it.

Anyway, the PRESUMPTION of this thread is that this IS coming in the west, not an argument that it isn't.

So for those who are able to follow this presumption ... and understand the great difference with traffic in Thailand, that is my question here.

IF it takes off in the west, will Thailand ever follow, and if so, how many years or decades later?

I can PROVE that self-driven cars will have higher accident rates than normal cars in Thailand.

Here's why. they will be programmed to stop for stop signs and unmonitored pedestrian crossings.

You can go research what happens when you stop for stop-signs and pedestrian crossings in Thailand. Yes, that's right, you will get hit from behind all day every day. Thai's are not prepared to stop for pedestrians / stop signs. Even at low speeds they will crash into  you. 100% guarantee. If you don't believe it, just PROVE me wrong, put on a dash cam front/back and start driving around stopping for pedestrians and stop signs. Do it as safe as possible, i bet you can't without getting hit.

Ofcourse, the good news is that it will be proven that the self-driven cars will have much lower rate of CAUSING accidents.

On 1/9/2016 at 6:15 PM, IMHO said:

Except for you, right? biggrin.png

I mean, you still want the ability to go faster than the 40km/hr all the driverless cars are maxxing out at, and you certainly want to take advantage of those huge gaps they leave between themselves, and advantage of every other overly-cautious manoeuvre they make that you can capitalize on , right? ;)

But imagine the benefits when self-driven cars can coordinate with each other somehow to reduce congestion.. Imagine no more traffic jams... i read somewhere that it's possible if all the cars are self driven and all the cars have gps and all the cars are somehow connected to each other... maybe in a 100 years :S