Visa info

Hi

I'm just looking for some info for the very near future.

My girlfriend is pregnant and will be due soon. I'm just wondering what's the requirements for getting a non-O immigrant visa for having a child? I'm not sure the exact name of the visa so any help on that too.

For example how much money you need to show in the bank, can you show monthly income or is it a set amount like the retirement visa?

How much does visa cost?

Can I apply here in Thailand ?

These last few years I've just been using visa exempt or tourist visa's when I come back from offshore but they're just making things harder and asking too much questions at immigration every time arrive back from work so I thought I would ask about this to see if it's any easier!!

Also if It is possible to get this visa is there a requirement to get a re-entry permit every time I leave for work?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

You can get a non-o visa based upon being the parent of a Thai. If you are traveling frequently a multiple entry non-o visa that would allow unlimited 90 day entries for a year might be best.

You would need to legitimize your parenthood to get a one year extension at immigration since you are not married. See How To Gain Parental Rights As A Father

For the extension you would need 400k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 40k baht income.

You can get the multiple entry non-o visa in Penang without the legitimization being done. You would need to show 100k baht or more in the bank or proof of income.

Thanks for the reply ubonjoe.

Just a couple of more questions if you don't mind.

So just to clarify after my girlfriend has the child I can apply at my local Thai immigration? And I need to show proof of 400k or 40K monthly on the initial application?

And after the visa has expired after the 1st year or the years after that is if laws stay the same obviously what's the process of renewing it? Is it just the same basically as the previous application ?

Thanks again

Thanks for the reply ubonjoe.

Just a couple of more questions if you don't mind.

So just to clarify after my girlfriend has the child I can apply at my local Thai immigration? And I need to show proof of 400k or 40K monthly on the initial application?

And after the visa has expired after the 1st year or the years after that is if laws stay the same obviously what's the process of renewing it? Is it just the same basically as the previous application ?

Thanks again

Before you can apply for an extesion of stay at immigration you must attain legal parental status http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/381917-how-to-gain-parental-rights-as-a-father/

Visas must otherwise be obtained from a Thai Embassy/Consulate.

Do not know your work schedule but extensions of stay may not be in the cards as normally you must have been here at least 45 days on a non immigrant O visa entry before application at immigration. For offshore workers the multi entry non immigrant O visa is often the choice (as said in post 2) - this also covers exit/returns for the year in price of visa.