Thai man, 20, arrested, charged for sarcastic 'shoe bomb' remarks during airport security inspection

rooster59

Seem to recall hearing about a guy, talking to another passenger in line at an airport, explaining that he was a "rock guitarist". Some lady overheard him instead say "I'm a Iraqi terrorist" [it works if you use a Middle Eastern or Indian accent when saying 'I'm a rock guitarist']. And then all hell broke loose. Of course, it may be apocryphal, but it makes for a good story... smile.png

Has airport security ever stopped a real terrorist with all the crap they make you do these days?. Take off your belt, shoes, take out you laptop, iPad, etc... I guess they did catch some guy with a bunch of heroin the other week though.

If it's for safety i don't mind to do all you mentioned.

But then EVERYBODY has to do that, not only me and then let many Thai pass without taking their shoes off.

Also i don't like it when i am in the bodyscanner and my stuff is all on the belt between strangers grabbing the baskets next to mine.

I always want to see my baskets and i think i have the right for that.

And why don't they have a space where i can take on my shoes/belt quietly on my own pace? Or at least something to put my feet on when i take my shoes on.

I always get a bad mood from the security-check while i'm sure not against it, it's just the way they do it and can't spea englit at all.

PHUKET: A 20-year-old Thai man has rejected a charge that he knowingly announced false information to create histeria at the airport during a routine passenger inspection this afternoon.

Perhaps the Phuket News also needs to invest in a full-body spell check detector... I've heard even the pirated versions of MS Word in Thailand have such an amazing technological capacity... whistling.gif

Has airport security ever stopped a real terrorist with all the crap they make you do these days?. Take off your belt, shoes, take out you laptop, iPad, etc... I guess they did catch some guy with a bunch of heroin the other week though.

But then EVERYBODY has to do that, not only me and then let many Thai pass without taking their shoes off.

Also i don't like it when i am in the bodyscanner and my stuff is all on the belt between strangers grabbing the baskets next to mine.

And why don't they have a space where i can take on my shoes/belt quietly on my own pace? Or at least something to put my feet on when i take my shoes on.

I always get a bad mood from the security-check while i'm sure not against it, it's just the way they do it and can't spea englit at all.

My point is, I read recently, that with all the money the USA spends on the TSA (Transportation Security Administration), they haven't caught anyone who was an actual terrorist with a bomb. I'm all for not getting blown up in a plane or have it hijacked, but since there was one shoe bomber (that didn't work) we all must take off our shoes, one underwear bomber, that didn't work, we have to be body scanned. I'm surprised we are allowed to wear underwear! How about a bit of background checks of the passengers and some profiling? Naw not PC... Let's waste more money instead.

The thing to remember at airports is that, you are among a lot

of travellers that you do now know. You are also dealing with airport

staff who could get injured if there is anything like a bomb around the

airport. Keep you jokes for other places, and do not yell Hi Jack when you are

on board the Jet either. Just a reminder, that there are some people such as ISIL and

the other thugs, who also travel about. How does the security people at airports

know that you are not one of them.

Airports are security sensitive places and are not the place for "jokes" about "bombs" of any description.

This person made a foolish comment and was arrested as he would have been at any other airport within or outside Thailand.

Security staff cannot be expected to differentiate between the fool and the terrorist .

They should and must act to secure the safety of all travelers .

l've never had to take my shoes off on my many flights in & out of Thailand.

ln fact l've only ever had to take my shoes off on SOME,not all internal flights in the USA.

lts a pain removing your belt, holding your pants up, then trying to re thread your belt though.

Especially when you can lose the little loop that holds your belt from flopping about.

So l got cunning & threaded a long bootlace through my belt loops on my pants, under my belt.

Then when you remove your belt, your pants don't fall down.

Ah the joys of air travel in the 21st century.

l've never had to take my shoes off on my many flights in & out of Thailand.

ln fact l've only ever had to take my shoes off on SOME,not all internal flights in the USA.

lts a pain removing your belt, holding your pants up, then trying to re thread your belt though.

Especially when you can lose the little loop that holds your belt from flopping about.

So l got cunning & threaded a long bootlace through my belt loops on my pants, under my belt.

Then when you remove your belt, your pants don't fall down.

Ah the joys of air travel in the 21st century.

It's the same in Dubai, sometimes i have to take my shoes/belt off and sometimes not.

In the bodyscanner you have to raise your arms while you can't wear a belt, next time i will wear an oversized jeans without underwear, guess my snake will come out when i have to do that....i don't care tongue.png

Airports have *never* been the place for self-styled funny guys to make jokes about bombs, hijacking, etc.

As far back as the early '70s I recall seeing signage in airports stating "it is no joking matter...all such comments are taken seriously".

As far as this example goes... somnaamnaa

• 4 weeks later...