Manhattans Steakhouse

ruds

I once gave a young girl in the malabar restaurant a large tip. She was well worth it looking after my family in a first rate manner. BIG mistake, I heard the shouting and noticed the girl was upset as we left, it appeared the manager had given her a huge telling off accusing her of forcing the tip !!

I went up to him and explained the situation but he insisted i take half the tip back. Learned a lesson or two from that one about genuine, well run establishments that care for their customers........The Manhattan.......mmmmmm

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally speaking, if a restaurant, hotel, club or whatever charges 10% for service, the amount of tip I leave is a very round number: zero.

In any event, I personally believe that a tip should only be given in recognition of service above what should be reasonably expected. If an establishment chooses to underpay their staff and demand the customer makes up the shortfall, well I have to disagree with their ethics.

In a wealthy country like Australia, what you say would make perfect sense, but not in a 3rd world country where most employers shaft their workers.

Wake up Dorthy, you aren't in Kansas anymore! :o

:D

Errrmm, I have never been to Kansas and nor am I a gullible septic... :D

I was questioning the ethics of greedy owners who 'shaft' both their staff and their customers.

They are relying on you feeling embarrassed by not tipping a second time.

If you are dopey enough to give a tip on top of a 10% +VAT service charge, all you are doing is condoning the behaviour of the owners.

As long as spineless people go along with this ploy, doubtless the practice will continue... :D

It is rare to have gratuity charges on the menu in the US, people know they gotta shell out the 20% and always do unless they are a mega slimeball

That's not nice calling me a mego slimeball! There's no "gotta" about it. The waiters, etc. are getting a salary. If the service was superb I might give 15%, if its OK, 10%, and if it's horrid, ziltch.

I have friends who were waiters and tips were pocketed by the owner! What to do?? :o

If you don't tip in expensive Western-oriented restaurants in Thailand, then you must be heartless scum. The so-called "salaries" are a bad joke! :D

Dear Ulysses,and B&B, you certainly know some epithets; mega slimeball and now heartless scum. How dare you, Sirs! Why don't you both - or are there 3 of you? - flee up and burst. I will continue my practice in Thailand of leaving a small but decent tip for polite, efficient service, and good, tasty, well presented food. My favourite restaurants: Sea Falcon on Dongtan Beach, Sizzler, and White Knight in Soi V.C. :D:D:D

Until proven i think the tip comments don't belong on this thread as it is starting to sound like you're all accusing Manhattens of doing this.

Maybe it all goes to their staff? :o

Well, I think the silence of tommyv speaks volumes...

To all of you "experts and mind readers" who have presumed to know what I think and do, this is tommyv, and I will tell you now that all of the 10% service charge goes to staff, but is taxed, according to Thai law, as income, so the staff gets the service charge minus tax. Furthermore, our service staff are well paid. We pay much higher salaries than most F&B establishments in Pattaya, including the hotels. If anyone is so interested in the welfare of my staff, please come and ask them if they are well taken care of and happy with their jobs! I provide much more than salaries and service charge. I provide staff meals, uniforms, medical insurance, and paid hoildays. Do all of of critics think that all of these benefits come cheap? Get real! Manhattans Steakhouse provides quality food, good service, great live music starting in November, and a pleasant atmosphere. Many other places do as well. We are what we have decided to be. If you like it come and enjoy, if not, go someplace else you like better and can afford. To those of you who have tried the place and enjoyed it, I thank you. To those of you who want to try and decide for yourselves, I welcome you. To those of you who wish to find restaurants more to your liking, I wish you well. Pattaya is changing, look around you. Is anyone critising the mulitude of "high end" condos and residents going up in Pattaya? Additionally, getting a credit card services in Thailand is a nightmare. We applied months before opening, and the reality is that the banks will only issue services to new businesses after they see a "trading history". This is Thai banking practice, and out of the hands of the applicants. This process can take 30 days to 180 days depending on the bank. Do any of you really think that we want to operate without this service to our guests? It is bad for us and bad for our guests, but it is the way it is in Thailand. I would like to remind you Mata Hari fans that Louie was without cc services for more than 30 days AFTER his opening in April.The only reason Louie got his services after 30 days is because he is an established business who merely changed location. He posted a sign at his door, as we have done, stating the lack of cc services, and suffered the same inconvience that we are suffering.

Now, I have a restaurant to run, and wish all of you well. Anyone wanting to ask me any questions regarding Manhattas, or make any comments, please feel free to come in and see me, and we will talk. I haven't time to constantly be replying to all of this misinformation. I also will not reply to those of you who take such delight in attacking Manhattans. I would rather use my time taking care of the many happy guests who have not only dined here, but have returned several times. Whatever happened to conversation face to face? It's much easier to assult people online, isn't it!

Until proven i think the tip comments don't belong on this thread as it is starting to sound like you're all accusing Manhattens of doing this.

To all of you "experts and mind readers" who have presumed to know what I think and do, this is tommyv, and I will tell you now that all of the 10% service charge goes to staff, but is taxed, according to Thai law, as income, so the staff gets the service charge minus tax. Furthermore, our service staff are well paid. We pay much higher salaries than most F&B establishments in Pattaya, including the hotels. If anyone is so interested in the welfare of my staff, please come and ask them if they are well taken care of and happy with their jobs! I provide much more than salaries and service charge. I provide staff meals, uniforms, medical insurance, and paid hoildays. Do all of of critics think that all of these benefits come cheap? Get real! Manhattans Steakhouse provides quality food, good service, great live music starting in November, and a pleasant atmosphere. Many other places do as well. We are what we have decided to be. If you like it come and enjoy, if not, go someplace else you like better and can afford. To those of you who have tried the place and enjoyed it, I thank you. To those of you who want to try and decide for yourselves, I welcome you. To those of you who wish to find restaurants more to your liking, I wish you well. Pattaya is changing, look around you. Is anyone critising the mulitude of "high end" condos and residents going up in Pattaya? Additionally, getting a credit card services in Thailand is a nightmare. We applied months before opening, and the reality is that the banks will only issue services to new businesses after they see a "trading history". This is Thai banking practice, and out of the hands of the applicants. This process can take 30 days to 180 days depending on the bank. Do any of you really think that we want to operate without this service to our guests? It is bad for us and bad for our guests, but it is the way it is in Thailand. I would like to remind you Mata Hari fans that Louie was without cc services for more than 30 days AFTER his opening in April.The only reason Louie got his services after 30 days is because he is an established business who merely changed location. He posted a sign at his door, as we have done, stating the lack of cc services, and suffered the same inconvience that we are suffering.

Now, I have a restaurant to run, and wish all of you well. Anyone wanting to ask me any questions regarding Manhattas, or make any comments, please feel free to come in and see me, and we will talk. I haven't time to constantly be replying to all of this misinformation. I also will not reply to those of you who take such delight in attacking Manhattans. I would rather use my time taking care of the many happy guests who have not only dined here, but have returned several times. Whatever happened to conversation face to face? It's much easier to assult people online, isn't it!

Well said tommyv. I always look forward to trying new restaurants and will visit yours on my next trip to Pattaya.

Excellent reply Tom, I don't understand people feeling the need to criticize people for where they choose to dine. I visited your fine restaurant on my birthday in September with a group of six and we were taken care of beautifully by your staff and yourself. Best of luck and I'll continue to see you on the special nights when a great steak, service and ambiance are required.

Good one tommy, I spoke with the two owners this morning and they told me that you had replied to the many wannabe customers. I would like to wish the owners and yourself all the very best in this new venture. Good luck

:D Tony

Good luck indeed to the owners and the builders of deluxe cond's. The OP mentioned the 1700 service charge he received, if this as stated goes to the staff ( less tax ), who already are paid at a higher rate than the competition ( managers quote ), It can only be a matter of months until developments like " The Northshore" are overrun by the happy chappies from this fine establishment.

Pattaya is indeed changing for the better.

To all of you "experts and mind readers" who have presumed to know what I think and do, this is tommyv, ... It's much easier to assult people online, isn't it!

Thanks for the reply and setting the record straight. Nice job on treating the staff well, that is commendable. Best of luck...

Maybe it all goes to their staff? :D

Whatever happened to conversation face to face? It's much easier to assult people online, isn't it!

Conversation face to face still exists, but this Tommy is a forum, no chat, just text. I also note that you only liked the forum when the chat went your way. This is the problem with forums. People have opinions and use them.

You haven’t helped any of the misinformation you say is on this topic as you didn’t answerer the questions put to you or give the apparent correct information. No doubt you are busy, but it would have only taken minutes more to correct as you say the misinformation. I am not expecting a reply from you, as you didn’t answer any of my questions.

Your reply much easier to assault people online, isn't it, is an assault to the people who replied here.

Anyway I am interested to know, since this post went online, did any other members eat at Manhattans?

Again I have eaten at Manhattans, wish them well and look forward to reading other peoples opinions.

p.s. Tommy good for you giving the service charge to the staff, as the service charge from my tabke alone was 1700bht your staff must be earning more than Doctors, Lawyers, Farangs on pensions and other top educated professionals here in Thailand. I will let them know at the Bangkok hospital if anyone needs a pay increase to change profession immediately. Perhaps you could put an application form online… :o

Oh dear me rocky, you just can't leave Manhattans alone. Obsessed with "dishing" Manhattans I'd say! Let it go rocky. If you came to Manhattans and hated it than don't come back. You only had dinner, it wasn't the LAST SUPPER! It certainly seems your life has gone on, maybe not forward however, because you still seem to be working hard to badmouth Manhattans. My last post seemed to answer other peoples questions, but alas rocky, you seem to feel that your's were left unanswered! To answer one of your questions, YES people who have been on the forum, or read it, have come to Manhattans and left happy. Some commented that much of the misinformation was answered not only by my last post, but also by their dining at the restaurant.. As I said in the last post, people will come and make up their own minds. The ridiculous rumors that steaks cost 3000 baht, and apps cost 900 baht are so outrageous that one can hardly believe it! When people like you start the rumor ball rolling, others take it and run, and the next thing you know the rumor will say that steaks cost more than the Hope Diamond! I guess it's human nature for some to delight in such gossip! Your comments regarding the service charge, my staff, and Bangkok doctor wages are so stupid that they really don't deserve any answer, but here it goes anyway. Your 1700 baht service charge did not go only to the staff that served you, but was pooled and diveded among the ENTIRE staff. If you knew ANYTHING about the topic, you'd know that service charge is always divided among a restaurants entire staff, which includes waiters, kitchen staff, hostesses, barmen, valet parkers, etc. My staff is made up of 45 people, so your 1700 baht earned each of them 42.5 baht each, certainly not doctor wages! It would seem that you have made an career out of attacking Manhattans. Well rocky, there is a new path waiting for you on this forum. There are two or three new restaurants opening up in Jomtien shortly. You'll have a whole new crop of restaurants to "work over"!! Good luck to both you, especially to them! Once again rocky, let it go. We are a restaurant that you came to and didn't like. Forget about us, move on, and go to the many restaurants you mentioned in your posts that are more to your liking. I'm sure you will be happier there, and they will be happy to have you.

Maybe it all goes to their staff? :D

Whatever happened to conversation face to face? It's much easier to assult people online, isn't it!

Conversation face to face still exists, but this Tommy is a forum, no chat, just text. I also note that you only liked the forum when the chat went your way. This is the problem with forums. People have opinions and use them.

You haven’t helped any of the misinformation you say is on this topic as you didn’t answerer the questions put to you or give the apparent correct information. No doubt you are busy, but it would have only taken minutes more to correct as you say the misinformation. I am not expecting a reply from you, as you didn’t answer any of my questions.

Your reply much easier to assault people online, isn't it, is an assault to the people who replied here.

Anyway I am interested to know, since this post went online, did any other members eat at Manhattans?

Again I have eaten at Manhattans, wish them well and look forward to reading other peoples opinions.

p.s. Tommy good for you giving the service charge to the staff, as the service charge from my tabke alone was 1700bht your staff must be earning more than Doctors, Lawyers, Farangs on pensions and other top educated professionals here in Thailand. I will let them know at the Bangkok hospital if anyone needs a pay increase to change profession immediately. Perhaps you could put an application form online… :o

My my we are touchy,

Though can you indicate where upon I bad mouthed Manhattans, on the contrary, said the place was stylish nice etc, said it was expensive for my budget,

Wish you well in every post,

Interested to read other peoples opinions that is why I am still in this thread, and the people on this thread that said they were planning on coming,

This is a forum Tommyv, you seam new to this one, get used to it….