Manhattans Steakhouse

ruds

Hi guys,

Rocky i do take your points, I am a great fan of the other restaurants that we have been mentioning for exactly the same reasons as you like them, All i was trying to say was that I think the Manhattans is trying to go above those with something really special. I think i know one of the reasons that the Manhattans is pricey, for one thing in my opinion they have too many staff to pay and another i think is that those high end imported steaks are fortunes to get hold of in Thailand. and BTW no i haven't got shares in the place :o

I think if they do it well they have got the market cornered because there is nowhere in pattaya to get such good a range of steaks and offer a high end dining experience.

When I go to the MH i don't go there to eat steak because I don't think of the MH as a great steak restaurant, But I highly rate it for everything else on the menu and think it is a top restaurant at a good price.

One of the things that I do not agree with about the Manhattans is 10% service charge, I think the Manhattans should re think that bit, because along with their already high prices it makes them look even more expensive.

I personally think that the Manhattans could re think a few things at this crucial stage.

I think they could get started first and build up a loyal customer base like the Mata Hari, Keep the prices down to start so that they get the right reputation from the start off.. eg: "Stunning restaurant and lovely Food" instead of "Nice but over priced" Then Once they have built up a very high reputation and got regular customers and a busy business they could increase the prices and get away with it as people will appreciate the Quality more and be prepared to pay more for it.

But having said all of that I do not have any experience in the restaurant business so my comments are probably complete twaddle.

Rocky, What advise would you give the Manhattans or what do you think they could do or change to make sure they get off to the right start?

I Haven't been to the Queens, where is that place? I would like to try it.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ps

just seen the review of manhattens on PMTV and i'm amazed that Pattaya TV can actually get worse! :D

One of the worst interviewers i've seen, (sorry).

He walks up to a thai girl who is clearly an employee and say's- "do you work here?" :D

"no i'm just in here sheltering from the rain" :o OF COURSE SHE <deleted> WORKS THERE :D

Then he says- "do you live here?"... "Do you like living here?"

Blimey. :D

Edited by davethailand

I've had nothing but good reports from my friends who have dined here and I look forward to my next Pattaya visit in December. It's been my experience that quality steakhouse restaurants are not available in Pattaya and that includes the ones mentioned above. My friends report that some of the side a la carte dishes are nothing special and can be avoided if you want to cut-corners on the tab. The prices are equivalent to a good quality steakhouse here in the U.S. (not that bad considering cost to import quality beef).

As a low cost alternative I can recommend the Mignon in JomTien for a reasonably good steak that won't break anyones budget.

:D NOT A TRUER THING CAN BE SAID ABOUT THIS PLACE DECOR LOVELY, BUT PRICES CRAZY WENT THERE LAST WEEK, ENJOYED IT, BUT COULD COOKED AS GOOD MYSELF AT HOME WITH NO CHARGES FOR SERVICES ETC. AT MY HOUSE i CANT SEE HIM LASTING AT THE PRICES, WILL STICK TO MATA HARI NEXT DOOR :o

Hi guys,

Rocky i do take your points, I am a great fan of the other restaurants that we have been mentioning for exactly the same reasons as you like them, All i was trying to say was that I think the Manhattans is trying to go above those with something really special. I think i know one of the reasons that the Manhattans is pricey, for one thing in my opinion they have too many staff to pay and another i think is that those high end imported steaks are fortunes to get hold of in Thailand. and BTW no i haven't got shares in the place :o

I think if they do it well they have got the market cornered because there is nowhere in pattaya to get such good a range of steaks and offer a high end dining experience.

When I go to the MH i don't go there to eat steak because I don't think of the MH as a great steak restaurant, But I highly rate it for everything else on the menu and think it is a top restaurant at a good price.

One of the things that I do not agree with about the Manhattans is 10% service charge, I think the Manhattans should re think that bit, because along with their already high prices it makes them look even more expensive.

I personally think that the Manhattans could re think a few things at this crucial stage.

I think they could get started first and build up a loyal customer base like the Mata Hari, Keep the prices down to start so that they get the right reputation from the start off.. eg: "Stunning restaurant and lovely Food" instead of "Nice but over priced" Then Once they have built up a very high reputation and got regular customers and a busy business they could increase the prices and get away with it as people will appreciate the Quality more and be prepared to pay more for it.

But having said all of that I do not have any experience in the restaurant business so my comments are probably complete twaddle.

Rocky, What advise would you give the Manhattans or what do you think they could do or change to make sure they get off to the right start?

I Haven't been to the Queens, where is that place? I would like to try it.

For me to make suggestions to Manhattans on running their restaurant I think would be very arrogant. I haven’t spoken to the manager or owner so I have no idea if they are pleased with the launch of the business. It might very well be that they are more than happy with the amount of business they are doing. I have never run a licensed premise of any type so have no expertise with the running of this type of business

The restaurant has set its price cloth and perhaps the restaurant will do very well.

Maybe there are more than enough customers for this price class restaurant

With the promise of more different type of tourist approaching Pattaya and its 5 star hotels with the dawn of the new airport, this well could be just the ticket and possible trade will boom.

Regards staff amount I cannot see how that is effecting the prices of the steak as it has been added to the bill as an extra 10%, I my case the service charge was a whopping 1700bht. I could well imagine that I covered quite a few members of staff with this charge.

With regards the service charge and tax added, I always take the view that any business selling to the public is conning its customers by adding at the end of the bill. In the case of Manhattans they are conning the customers and are well aware. Not giving the menus out until sitting in the restaurant area. I believe the reason for this is it would be easier for customers to leave the building reading through the menu in the bar area than wait until seated. They not only add 17% to your meal, your meal isn’t even a meal. 1500bht (+17%) then add vegetables at 95bht a dish, so if you would like carrots and potatoes STEAK 1500bht CARROTS 95bht POTATOES 95bht +10% SERVICE CHARGE + 7% TAX TOTAL 1990bht for a listed 1500bht meal.

"Stunning restaurant and lovely Food, Nice but over priced". I agree 100%

With prices and any business, many things have to be taken in too account, always location. Other people have added to this thread that Manhattans is the same price as New York and Beverly Hills. The wake up call for Manhattans – This is Pattaya, a town born and bread from sex tourism. Percentage wise there are not as many Well- Healed people living or holidaying in Pattaya as that of New York. Time will tell if there are enough Well-Healed.

Queens restaurant is two doors away from the Poseidon. If you need better info to get there let me know.

I have been to the Manhattans and it was a very nice evening the food was superb and service very good it was like stepping out of pattaya into New York for an evening. I must admit the prices were a little high though.

17k is a joke for 4 people in Pattaya , you can eat at NYC's top steak house for that Peter Lugers in Brooklyn or even Smith & Wollensky in Manhattan and it would cost less.

They will have a short life span with prices like that.

Well I saw the interview the other night where it seems that the manager is from the US with much experience in NY with this type of steak retaurant.

What came over in the interview was the difficulty in the restaurant finding suppliers of US beef and consequently they are serving Australian meat as well.

Thanks for your input rocky it certainly seems like you need to carry a large wad with you...the question to ask is:- is it really worth the price for the experience?....time will tell.

the fact that they do NOT take credit cards should be enough to stay away, some western guy runs the palce but to me it seems he is running it as a thai would, make it look good, high socitey, but NOT even a crdit card machine???? come on!!! stay away!!

the fact that they do NOT take credit cards should be enough to stay away, some western guy runs the palce but to me it seems he is running it as a thai would, make it look good, high socitey, but NOT even a crdit card machine???? come on!!! stay away!!

Even their website is still under construction.

By the sound of it, a lot of money has been pumped into this venture yet not much thought.

I still wonder who is behind the operation... :o

Bit of a daft comment IMO.

Its not that easy and quick to get a card machine here in Pattaya, maybe they are waiting for it, maybe they are setting up accounts still? Who knows.

Even their website is still under construction.

By the sound of it, a lot of money has been pumped into this venture yet not much thought.

The Sportsman/ Door 2 Door.

Good luck to them as they are nice guys, i will as said visit Manhattens. :D

Good earnings having a bar in South Pattaya huh Dave?

If it generates money enough to throw away on something like this I think I'll have to have myself a bar too. Or perhaps spend my hard earned somewhere else.

Let us all know when you open your bar. There are many for sale and with a little luck, you can join Dave and me for dinner at Manhattens. :o

If it generates money enough to throw away on something like this I think I'll have to have myself a bar too. Or perhaps spend my hard earned somewhere else.

Cut out the middle man, head straight for Manhattans now :o

As flattering as it has been to realize how much interest and discussion Manhattans has generated and whilst we welcome all feedback including constructive criticism we need to set the record straight on a few incorrect statements that you have previously read.

We invite you to peruse your menus whilst sitting in our cocktail lounge, sipping one of our 27 cocktails, maybe our signature 'Manhattan' cocktail, all of which are priced at 240 baht, coincidentally the same starting price as our Appetizers.

We offer only U.S. and Australian Certified Angus Beef, for those who are unfamiliar with this standard, the certification is given to less than 8% of Beef. Certified Angus Beef standards exceed those of USDA Prime and Choice Graded Beef and the cattle are 100% grain fed which assures you, tenderness, flavour and leanness.

Our 6oz Australian Tenderloin is priced at 850 baht rising to 1800 baht for our 18oz Porterhouse Steak. In comparison, our U.S. Tenderloin is priced at 930 baht rising to 2500 baht for our 16oz Park Avenue, double Tenderloin for two carved at the table.

The banks decision to not allow any credit facilities before we have traded for a limited period is unfortunately out of our control and is not a position which we favour due to the inconvenience to our customers as well as as the restrictions it puts on us as a business.

Customers are made aware of this when making reservations and on arrival. Rest assured this is an area in which we are constantly re-negotiating with the bank.

We aim to be the very top of our game, Manhattans is styled and designed akin to fine dining restaurants in any major capital city, whether it is Bangkok, London or New York. Our cocktail lounge is not only unique in contemporary elegance but also in the coming weeks we are proud to offer live, cool jazz in the evenings. Our intent is to create a destination point, a place to come and eat and to enjoy an entire evening.

As one of our customers recently commented "You are probably the most expensive restaurant in Pattaya, and you should be!"

But don't take ours or anyone's word for it, experience it for yourself

Fair enough, but you would have saved yourself the bother of defending yourself if your website was up and running.

Why is it still under construction...? :o

Edit: Stammer removed... :D

Edited by Noel

..........Manhattans is styled and designed akin to fine dining restaurants in any major capital city, whether it is Bangkok, London or New York.....

But this is Pattaya, Tommy. Pattaya, the "Extreme City". Nevertheless, I wish you success.

We invite you to peruse your menus whilst sitting in our cocktail lounge,

Our 6oz Australian Tenderloin is priced at 850 baht

The banks decision to not allow any credit facilities before we have traded for a limited period is unfortunately out of our control and is not a position which we favour due to the inconvenience to our customers as well as as the restrictions it puts on us as a business.

Customers are made aware of this when making reservations and on arrival.

Not trying to get into a flame row here, but this statement is not accurate

Firstly when I asked to see the menu in the cocktail lounge, I was told by a waitress “The menus will be given in the restaurant”. I had to ask again. This created a small situation and made some of my guests feel uneasy

Secondly when we arranged as a group to visit your restaurant, we could not find your telephone number anywhere to make a reservation so had to turn up unannounced.

Thirdly when we arrived, we were not told of the credit card situation.

Fourthly Why would I visit a American styled restaurant paying prices for American meat and order 6oz Australian Tenderloin priced at 850 baht + 10% + 7% = 1000bht + vegetables ?

I do believe I may have got some of the prices wrong in my earlier message.

Is the vegetables 95bht +10% + 7% as one of my guests from the evening said infact they remember them being 150bht + 10% + 7%. Could you clarify this for us.

I have not made any bad comments regarding your restaurant, on the contrary. I just think that for me and I am no Cheap Charlie, this is a very very expensive place for Pattaya

Though I wish you and your business every success. :o

Speaking of the U.S., prices, etc., New York isn't the capital. No matter, easy mistake to make.

I know in Washington DC, (heard of it?) $100 a person for a dinner isn't uncommon. Depending on drinks, you can easily get to $200 especially in Georgetown. Sometimes there is a "service charge" for parties of 5 or more that actually goes to the staff. The cost of living there is outrageous. Staff have to make $2000 a month just to live in the town.

Pattaya isn't the U.S.A. though. The additional 10% "service charge" is an insult and the place loses all credibility with me. I don't suppose waitstaff make more than a hundred or one-fifty dollars a month here. Are you pretending to be giving the added 10% of your business to the staff? Is tipping allowed/encouraged?

Where is all the money going? Into the ingredients? HA!

'nuff said

~

Edited by 'nuff said

So the Sportsman and Door 2 Door are the only two players with no other partners/shareholders/investors in the wings?

Well well... :D

So the Sportsman and Door 2 Door are the only two players with no other partners/shareholders/investors in the wings?

Have'nt a clue. :D

Yeh its great, you should try it. :D

Pattaya is changing and its also getting alot of wealthy people coming here, Restaurants like this are fitting in nicely.

As said AGAIN the cost of the meal depends on what you order, people ordering can surely read what price is on the menu but they still moan about it after? :D

:D

Edited by davethailand

tommyv-

Just wondering if the 10% tip actually goes to the staff, or do you keep it? Care to comment on this? It really yanks my crank having a tip added to the bill and then having it go in the owner's pocket!

Thanks.

Not our business. Most restaurnat now do this and nearly ALL do in our home countries. :o

I still wonder who is behind the operation... :D

Hmmm. your persistent defence and support of Manhattans along with the above emoticon suggest otherwise.

I don't suppose you have a stake (no pun intended) in the venture...? :o

I still wonder who is behind the operation... :D

Hmmm. your persistent defence and support of Manhattans along with the above emoticon suggest otherwise.

I don't suppose you have a stake (no pun intended) in the venture...? :o

No part of it at all.

I like Steak.

A good mate went with his bird and said its good.

It looks like a nice place and i for one would pay over the odds once in a while (cash depending) for something if its that special.

I also like to form my own opinions of places (as we all should), as you know i have a business here and it annoys me when people who have'nt even been somewhere can comment, those that have been then sure its their opinion and they're entitled to it.. :D

Edited by davethailand

A friend told me he had had the best steak in many years there, so I have been very keen to know more about it.

Having seen the various posts about the price, things like the 17.000 baht for 4 sounds expensive even for the best venues in Bangkok. In my favorite steak place there, I don't think that meal would have been over 10/12.000 for 4.

I haven't had the chance to eat at Manhattan's yet. I tried a couple of weeks ago, lunch time on Saturday, but I was very politely told by the staff that they would not be open for lunch until the following Wednesday.

Since I was to meet a friend there and she had not arrived yet, I waited inside, very comfortably, and asked to see a menu, which was handed to me with a smile.

None of the prices in the menu immediately scared me off, although I know things add up when you get to it.

A side note on the comments: Banks don't give credit card facilities easily for a new business here. I would think that this should be soon/already sorted out.

Pattaya isn't the U.S.A. though. The additional 10% "service charge" is an insult and the place loses all credibility with me. I don't suppose waitstaff make more than a hundred or one-fifty dollars a month here. Are you pretending to be giving the added 10% of your business to the staff? Is tipping allowed/encouraged?

'nuff said

~

Guess you don't dine-out a lot. Most finer Bangkok restaurants include a 10% service charge. A restaurant of this quality in the U.S.A. would include a 15% gratuity. Many diners would consider that a low-end tip and 20-25% in not unusual. Many people realize that restaurant workers are at the lower-step of the economic rung and count on their tips. You (and other posters) suggest or imply that the tips are not going to workers, and that is unconscientable.

'nuff said

'nuff said

~

Guess you don't dine-out a lot. Most finer Bangkok restaurants include a 10% service charge. A restaurant of this quality in the U.S.A. would include a 15% gratuity. Many diners would consider that a low-end tip and 20-25% in not unusual. Many people realize that restaurant workers are at the lower-step of the economic rung and count on their tips. You (and other posters) suggest or imply that the tips are not going to workers, and that is unconscientable.

'nuff said

no the food is 1st class but this guy has his costings all wrong :o