Manhattans Steakhouse

ruds

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking about going to the new manhattans steakhouse on friday night, has anybody been there yet? and what did you think? do you recommend anything from the menu or anyhting to stay away from?

Ruds

I havnt been there yet but its the same owner as the sportsman, Ron the owner told me all steaks will be imported and if its as good as the food at the sportsman you wont be dissapointed. Dont forget to come back and report on your experiance.

Cheers Tony :o

Thinking about going to the new manhattans steakhouse on friday night, has anybody been there yet? and what did you think? do you recommend anything from the menu or anyhting to stay away from?

Ruds

I was at this restaurant one week ago. The deco and atmosphere was fantastic. A real classy feel to the place. When we arrived, four of us in all, we had pre dinner drinks in the bar area. A cocktail was 350bht per head + 10% service and 7% tax.

While drinking away listening to Frank Sinatra, I asked to see the menu as I would like to order while drinking in the lounge and then moving into the restaurant when the meal was ready for serving. The waitress informed me that the menus would not be given out until sat in the restaurant area. This seemed very strange as many fine restaurants meals are ordered from the drinking area. I continued to say that I would like to see the menu. At which time it was presented to me. When the menu was handed to me it became obvious why the waitress was so reluctant to hand it over earlier.

Starters starting at 350 + 10% + 7%

Steaks starting at 1500 + 10% + 7%

Can I add that no vegetables would be served with the meal. All vegetable side orders charged at 95bht + 10% + 7%

So my meal was priced like this

Starter 350 Steak 1800 bht, Carrots 95bht, Potatoes 95 bht + 10% + 7% Total 2737.80bht not including drinks.

The three people in my company all had a cocktail, starter, main course with side orders a shared bottle of wine and two bottles or water, One drink each after the meal at the bar.

Total Bill for four people 17000bht.

I cannot excuse spening this type of money on a meal here in Pattaya. The meal was very good, but no better than the Mata Hari, Posidon or Queens all within a small distance of this Manhattans.

It will be along time before I am back in Manhattans, unless you are picking up the Tab

Finally to answer your question anything to stay away from?

Manhattans

Ruds

I was at this restaurant one week ago. The deco and atmosphere was fantastic. A real classy feel to the place. When we arrived, four of us in all, we had pre dinner drinks in the bar area. A cocktail was 350bht per head + 10% service and 7% tax.

While drinking away listening to Frank Sinatra, I asked to see the menu as I would like to order while drinking in the lounge and then moving into the restaurant when the meal was ready for serving. The waitress informed me that the menus would not be given out until sat in the restaurant area. This seemed very strange as many fine restaurants meals are ordered from the drinking area. I continued to say that I would like to see the menu. At which time it was presented to me. When the menu was handed to me it became obvious why the waitress was so reluctant to hand it over earlier.

Can I add that no vegetables would be served with the meal. All vegetable side orders charged at 95bht + 10% + 7%

Starter 350 Steak 1800 bht, Carrots 95bht, Potatoes 95 bht + 10% + 7% Total 2737.80bht not including drinks.

The three people in my company all had a cocktail, starter, main course with side orders a shared bottle of wine and two bottles or water, One drink each after the meal at the bar.

I cannot excuse spening this type of money on a meal here in Pattaya. The meal was very good, but no better than the Mata Hari, Posidon or Queens all within a small distance of this Manhattans.

It will be along time before I am back in Manhattans, unless you are picking up the Tab

Manhattans

We must know the same people as I heard this story the other day !!! Your right though, that price is crazy for Pattaya, I'll be staying away from there.

To make matters worse, Manhattans do not except visa or any type of card only cash. So you can imagine, I was not expecting to pay 17,000bht for a meal and do not normal carry that type of cash for a night out.

I had to excuse my self from the restaurant so I could go to the nearest cash point and withdraw the money. How embarrassed I felt.

Ruds

Manhattans

Jesus wept, that really is taking the piss, and what makes it worse is that they clearly know they are.

I look forward to learning of their well deserved demise. :D

Thanks for sharing. :o

I went thier a few weeks ago, the ffood was good, but like everyone says it was a bit to much...you can eat at many fine restraunts in Bangkok with views of the city for less and better qulity. when me and my friend went they did NOT even take credit cards was given the excuse that they had NOT got a credit card machine yet, I think umm....I do like fine dinning but going and paying 4,000THB and then being told you can not use a credit card put me off, I did NOT care what thier excuse was....luckly I had the cash!!!

To make matters worse, Manhattans do not except visa or any type of card only cash. So you can imagine, I was not expecting to pay 17,000bht for a meal and do not normal carry that type of cash for a night out.

I had to excuse my self from the restaurant so I could go to the nearest cash point and withdraw the money. How embarrassed I felt.

How much did you leave for a tip?

I am thankful for your review, as I was going to try this place out; it seems over priced for Jomtien. It also got me thinking what's the most I have paid for a meal in a Pattaya restaurant (per head).

Probably no more than 1,200 and drinks extra.

Plus, I bet this place does not offer a 'doggy bag'.

I've had nothing but good reports from my friends who have dined here and I look forward to my next Pattaya visit in December. It's been my experience that quality steakhouse restaurants are not available in Pattaya and that includes the ones mentioned above. My friends report that some of the side a la carte dishes are nothing special and can be avoided if you want to cut-corners on the tab. The prices are equivalent to a good quality steakhouse here in the U.S. (not that bad considering cost to import quality beef).

As a low cost alternative I can recommend the Mignon in JomTien for a reasonably good steak that won't break anyones budget.

I've heard mixed reviews but they won't stop me from going there and seeing for myself, One problem in Pattaya i think is that too many compare things to whats already here etc.

If its that good then i don't mind paying. :o

But Dave.....17,000 Baht for 4 people that is just taking the p1ss. I'll stick with the Mata Hari.

Thankyou to you all for your comments, very interesting. Im am still going to go despite the expense. Its safe to say I will not be dining there every night but I dont think that is the intent of the owners, from my understanding this is classy place where you would expect to pay top dollar. If the quality is good I dont mind paying.

thanks again

ruds

How much did I leave for a tip? As they were kind enough to add 10% on to the bill, my question would be. How much do you think I left as a tip? (answer at the bottom)

Well its roughly the same price as the US or Europe is one of the statements that really make me shake my head. If you would rather pay US prices, why have you flown some 12-18 hours to a developing country?

To pay US prices for any service or product is ridicules. If Pattaya’s adult night life was the same cost as say that in Las Vegas, Pattaya would be a ghost town within minutes.

I recommend to anyone happy to pay western prices here in Thailand. Start with the taxi driver bringing you from the airport. Perhaps give him 100 US Dollars, I mean the taxi driver would need the money much more than a western owner with an overpriced restaurant called Manhattans.

Mixed reviews, Dave I can tell you the food and restaurant was great, but 17,000bht for four people is a little steep. I am no Cheap Charlie, but cannot justify paying excessive money for any product.

There are other fine restaurants in the area, Last night the same 4 people went to Queens in Jomtein, the bill for four people 3,500bht and the meal was great. The cost of the meal made the night enjoyable. Manhattans is better fitted but not to the tune of 17000bht for 4 people and no credit card machine facility.

Anyone trying this restaurant, if you are picking up the tab, eat alone, or take a friend who doesn’t drink alcohol and had eaten before setting off to the restaurant.

Restaurants to Try - Poseidon, Queens, Mata Hari, Bruno’s.

10% of jack

I have been to the Manhattans and it was a very nice evening the food was superb and service very good it was like stepping out of pattaya into New York for an evening. I must admit the prices were a little high though.

I get the impression that they are trying for the top spot of most finest dining establishment in Pattaya? I think it is about time that someone stepped up to the plate and tried to give pattaya some better places to eat out. This restaurant is distinctively high class. I think everyone should try it out before they judge it on price alone.

I would say it is defiantly the highest class restaurant in pattaya at this time, the food was better than the Mata Hari and the over all feel is more intimate and cosy than anywhere else I have been here.

It truly was a high class experience so I think people should be prepared to pay more than some of the places it has been compatred with.

But I agree, price does count, Value for money is important. And I suppose the big question will be "is the high price over other fine dining restaurants in Pattaya be justified?" And will peoples high expectations continue to be met. my over all rating was Excellent I give it the highest rating, I would like to eat there more often if I could afford it but unfortunately I think I will be taking second best (Mata Hari) purely because I can afford to eat there often and think it represents excellent "all round" value for money I think it is a fine dining experience for a very reasonable price but given the choice (If its not me paying) I would choose the Manhattans all day long.

Rocky, I read your Post, and I agree Manhattans prices a little high. But come on you cant compare Manhattans with Posidon! its like comparing crazy daves cafe against the continental, they dont compare.

I also like the Posidon but its a cheap night out. nice restaurant cheap prices. surely you cant say that the food was as nice as Manhattans its not in the same league at all, plus Decor and surroundings have to be taken into account, I heard they spent 25 Million on manhattans i bet they spent less than a million on Posidon :o

I agree with you Manhattans price was a bit high but I thought the food was better than all of the other restaurants It will be compared to, (MH, Bruno, casa Pasc etc)

Somethig special is worth paying more for?

Ruds

Manhattans

Jesus wept, that really is taking the piss, and what makes it worse is that they clearly know they are.

Hi Media, to respond to your raised points

I am amazed that a first and second posting of a new member is to come to the complete defence of a newly opened restaurant. I would say your first post sounded like a well scripted advertisement. (I get the impression that they are trying for the top spot of most finest dining establishment in Pattaya? I think it is about time that someone stepped up to the plate and tried to give pattaya some better places to eat out. And will peoples high expectations continue to be met?) Do you have any interests within this business ?

Manhattans prices a little high for a Countries Capital never mind Pattaya. I can and will compare Manhattans with Posidon, Mata Hari, Brunos and queens. I am not aware of crazy daves cafe so cannot comment.

The Posidon like Queens, Mata Hari is good quality food at realistic prices, I wouldn’t say its a cheap night out. Nice restaurant good prices. A cheap night out would be more like eating from the outside chair café in the Marine Plaza at 60bht a dish.

I can say that the food in any of the above mentioned restaurants was as nice as Manhattans. The difference in league in my opinion is the price. But will Manhattans wish to be in a league of their own set out simply by their costs?

I have mentioned in my above post that the décor is classy, nice bar area. But it is no nicer than the Mata Hair. No doubt they spent 25 Million on Manhattans. No doubt Mata Hari spent near on the same figure, but eating in the Mata Hari with equal decor does not cost the same as Manhattans. I have no idea on the amount of money spent on the Posidon or Queens so can not give an opinion, yet they are very comfortable restaurants serving good food with excellent service at a fraction of the price charged in Manhattans.

At least we agree on one issue, Manhattans price was a bit high. I didnt think the food was better than all of the other restaurants It will be compared to.

Something special is worth paying more for, but was Manhattans really that special? Time will tell…

Jai Dee thank you for the recommendation, I will try the Mantra this weekend. :o

Your raise a good point Dave, But then he wouldn’t have eaten a steak as they start at 1500bht + 10 % + 7%. (1765.50bht)

The amount your friend paid per head was 1275bht. The rest was + 10% service charge and + 7% tax.

I can tell you that you don’t get much in Manhattans for 1275bht

So he is in a fine steak house and orders chicken or fish with a cheap starter and cheap sweet and perhaps one drink.

Did your friend order the cheaper selection through choice or price? Did he really choose to go to a steak house not to eat a steak and lastly let me know if he is returning any time soon?

Though maybe I have got this wrong, maybe he had a three course meal while his lady had a thai dish or a only a starter, it’s the only way I can see he got a bill for two people at 2800bht.

Prices From

Steak 1500 + 10% + 7% = 1765bht

Vegetable 95bht + 10% + 7 = 111bht

Starter 350 + 1-% + 7% = 411bht

With out drinks, only one vegtable dish (i.e potatoes nothing else), sweet and meal for the lady your friends bill would be at least 2287bht leaving a balance of 513bht for his lady and for the drinks bill.

Maybe he had discount tickets?

Edited by rocky

Ruds

Manhattans

I have been to the Manhattans and it was a very nice evening the food was superb and service very good it was like stepping out of pattaya into New York for an evening. I must admit the prices were a little high though.

I get the impression that they are trying for the top spot of most finest dining establishment in Pattaya? I think it is about time that someone stepped up to the plate and tried to give pattaya some better places to eat out. This restaurant is distinctively high class. I think everyone should try it out before they judge it on price alone.

I would say it is defiantly the highest class restaurant in pattaya at this time, the food was better than the Mata Hari and the over all feel is more intimate and cosy than anywhere else I have been here.

It truly was a high class experience so I think people should be prepared to pay more than some of the places it has been compatred with.

But I agree, price does count, Value for money is important. And I suppose the big question will be "is the high price over other fine dining restaurants in Pattaya be justified?" And will peoples high expectations continue to be met. my over all rating was Excellent I give it the highest rating, I would like to eat there more often if I could afford it but unfortunately I think I will be taking second best (Mata Hari) purely because I can afford to eat there often and think it represents excellent "all round" value for money I think it is a fine dining experience for a very reasonable price but given the choice (If its not me paying) I would choose the Manhattans all day long.

How do you reconcile your view that Manhattans is a "high class" establishment when it deals only in cash?

was taken there a week ago by a friend visiting. food as good as any in New York or Bevely Hills but just as expensive. If you can afford it, I highly recomend it, you will really enjoy it. One of my companions was a friend of the GM who said the credit card company wouldnt give them a machine till they were open a month. probally a month now.

One of my companions was a friend of the GM who said the credit card company wouldnt give them a machine till they were open a month. probally a month now.

:D

I really do find it difficult to fathom why such an ostensibly high-end establishment could not have sorted that out prior to opening: it should have been a prerequisite.

If you took a party of say six out to dinner there, a bill of ฿30,000 baht would by no means be out of the question.

How many right minded people carry around tens of thousands in cash in Pattaya?

The absence of a credit card facility from the outset has to be extremely odd to say the least.

I wonder who owns 'Manhattans'...? :o