Manhattans Steakhouse

ruds

Pattaya isn't the U.S.A. though. The additional 10% "service charge" is an insult and the place loses all credibility with me. I don't suppose waitstaff make more than a hundred or one-fifty dollars a month here. Are you pretending to be giving the added 10% of your business to the staff? Is tipping allowed/encouraged?

Where is all the money going? Into the ingredients? HA!

'nuff said

~

Guess you don't dine-out a lot. Most finer Bangkok restaurants include a 10% service charge. A restaurant of this quality in the U.S.A. would include a 15% gratuity. Many diners would consider that a low-end tip and 20-25% in not unusual. Many people realize that restaurant workers are at the lower-step of the economic rung and count on their tips. You (and other posters) suggest or imply that the tips are not going to workers, and that is unconscientable.

'nuff said

no the food is 1st class but this guy has his costings all wrong :o

Perhaps they have 'inadvertently' factored in Manhattan, New York overheads...? :D

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can tell most people involved in the thread are or Americanos or Brits lol.

Fine dinning, and we are talking about a "STEAK HOUSE!!!!!!!"

Sounds like you guys dont have a clue what FINE dinning is all about and trust me a steak and Ketchup aint it.

Now back to the topic 14000Baht in a STEAK HOUSE in Thailend or anywhere else is rediculous and that is even an understatement. I dont even care where the steak comes from. I have been working in the F&B business for 20 years now ,with now Executive chef on 5 star cruises for the last 7 years, and this strikes it all. Acting like this STEAK HOUSE is topping ambiance and quality of the top restaurants in all capitals of the world (Seems like NY has been upgraded lately) is just magnificent and shows how unknowing the masses are in beautifull Pattaya. At least the owner of the place had the state of mind not to try a trick like this in BKK (yes the people there are a bit more sofisticated) as he would be lynched alive asking for 2500baht for a "BLACK AGNUS" steak hahaha. Black Agnus is not even considered a top quality beef anymore lol. Anyway, as most people here though, i wish Manthattan all the best in the future but me they wont be seeing there any time soon. Rather have my 25baht KhaoPad from the corner of the street less in quality most likely but at least honestly priced.

Dave.. you are getting boring now your posts used to be informative and unbiased now they are just one business helping another.. read the thread, you support this restaurant without even having eaten there against others who have..

Yes things are changing but not that fast.. I have eaten here, good but we just don't live in the west.. thats a fact of life.. TIT and dave horn and steve have a long way to go before they have the reputation and following of Terrance Conran.. I wish them the best of luck and hope all involved have deep pockets..

volume is the key when you have limited players.. how many first time diners does Pattay have? thats my four bahts worth.. ( go ahead with the cheap 4 baht jokes )

I have a number of issues to raise regarding this subject of steakhouse dining:

1st off I came to Thailand a while back to live after reading some interesting cost of living threads in this very forum. I was enthralled to read that 15K per month was more than enough cash to live here so I made my move. Posters who inspired me were Boo, who said she couldn't spend more than that even if she tried, and haha (banned now for political postings, god rest his soul, ) who said that 20K was more than enough for a lavish lifestyle of daily starbucks cup of the week and bowling. I'm not sure how dining in a place like this would fit into my 15K budget even after Mr Roomfinder found me a place for 2K per month. Spending the enormous sums required to dine in a place like this has got to be simply unattainable for anyone

2nd I would like to say that eating steak of any quality is to me like eating shoe leather. It is incredibly hard to chew and I can just imagine how difficult to digest. In addition it get empacted in my colon.

3rd is the issue of accepting credit cards. I guess CCs are a modern kinda thing around here

Edited by Poverty Packer

2500 baht for a steak is a ridiculous price for a steak in Thailand. They are obviously aiming at the high roller tourists that they hope come to Pattaya. The prices here remind me of a seafood restaurant in Bkk. A friend who came to Thailand raved about going to a seafood market where you get a shopping trolley pick out your fish and they prepare it to how you want. We went and the bill for 2 was over 3000 baht. 3000 for a red snapper and some prawns. The place was full of tourists bused in. I felt is was a complete rip off but he loved it.

I guess the success of this restaurant will depend a lot on the marketing. I don't think many of the expat community will be visiting regularly unless of course they have friends who are visiting and they are footing the bill.

Edited by D+D

I can tell most people involved in the thread are or Americanos or Brits lol.

Fine dinning, and we are talking about a "STEAK HOUSE!!!!!!!"

Sounds like you guys dont have a clue what FINE dinning is all about and trust me a steak and Ketchup aint it.

Now back to the topic 14000Baht in a STEAK HOUSE in Thailend or anywhere else is rediculous and that is even an understatement. I dont even care where the steak comes from. I have been working in the F&B business for 20 years now ,with now Executive chef on 5 star cruises for the last 7 years, and this strikes it all. Acting like this STEAK HOUSE is topping ambiance and quality of the top restaurants in all capitals of the world (Seems like NY has been upgraded lately) is just magnificent and shows how unknowing the masses are in beautifull Pattaya.

Blah, blah, blah :o

When one can get a perfectly nice meal at many restaurants for 4 to 5 hundred baht I won't be going to Manhattan. Who needs to pay Manhattan prices even for a melt in the mouth steak - my friend assured me that her steak did just that. And she had he own personal waiter. I will feel much better sending the money to the Street Kids (Mobi) and to the other charities.

Hey, Mobi, you should ask Manhattan to put a Collection Box on the bar. I have a good feeling that they will do it. :o

Dave.. you are getting boring now your posts used to be informative and unbiased now they are just one business helping another.. read the thread, you support this restaurant without even having eaten there against others who have..

Yes things are changing but not that fast.. I have eaten here, good but we just don't live in the west.. thats a fact of life.. TIT and dave horn and steve have a long way to go before they have the reputation and following of Terrance Conran.. I wish them the best of luck and hope all involved have deep pockets..

volume is the key when you have limited players.. how many first time diners does Pattay have? thats my four bahts worth.. ( go ahead with the cheap 4 baht jokes )

Please excuse me for being "boring", I'm not here to entertain you lot. :o

All i've said is that although i've read reports etc it still won't stop me from going there to try the place myself.

Is that so wrong?

As for one business sticking up for another then yes of course, why not?

Most whingers on the forums have'nt invested a penny in Pattaya but they are very quick to criticise someone who has and then i get flamed for saying that despite whats said about Manhattens and other restaurants/ bars i'd still go there to see for myself. :D

After i go i'll give my opinons on here but thats all they are opinions, i would'nt expect anyone to use them as definate guidelines.

Edited by davethailand

All i've said is that although i've read reports etc it still won't stop me from going there to try the place myself.

Is that so wrong?

Fair enough comment Dave... :o

I'll be doing the same.

:D

If I were in the mood for a steak that "melts in your mouth" (and I often am) and willing to pay the price at the Manhatten Steakhouse (not so often), I would give it a try. :D

If I were in the mood for a steak that "melts in your mouth" (and I often am) and willing to pay the price at the Manhatten Steakhouse (not so often), I would give it a try. :o

If I were served a steak that melted in my mouth before I had a chance to chew it, I would send it back... :D

Please excuse me for being "boring", I'm not here to entertain you lot. :D

Is that so wrong?

As for one business sticking up for another then yes of course, why not?

Most whingers on the forums have'nt invested a penny in Pattaya but they are very quick to criticise someone who has and then i get flamed for saying that despite whats said about Manhattens and other restaurants/ bars i'd still go there to see for myself. :D

After i go i'll give my opinons on here but thats all they are opinions, i would'nt expect anyone to use them as definate guidelines.

Well infact you are here to entertain us, that is why you run an entertainment bar? Which may I add in the past have used this forum very well to promote. You wasn’t boring on the site then…

As you keep telling us time and time again you are going to go there and try the place, well when is this going to be? Have you not been yet as it is that expensive you need another weeks budget to eat there?

It isn’t wrong to try the place but I am bored of hearing/reading it.

Most whingers on this forum invest plenty of money in Thailand, Pattaya. Every time they come here they invest money into the system though spending etc. Without them Dave your investment wouldn’t be worth a nickel. remember that, :o

I look forward to reading your opinions regarding Manhattans, and wait patiently...

I would like to add that I did not whinge about Manhattans, have been there given an opinion and you can take it as a definite guideline, The place is really well done out, the food is expensive, veg has to be purchased separately and add 17% to the bill, take plenty of cash. :D

If you like a Australian steak the melts in the mouth costing 380 bht with veg and tax visit Nand Nual on walking street from beach road after Tony’s on left hand side. Order STEAK SUPREME. It’s a long way off another Australian steak in this town at 850+veg+10%+7%. :D Amazing as they shout about the USA quality served beef 8%.

By the way i drink in your bar, take friends there and enjoy the place :D

tommyv-

Just wondering if the 10% tip actually goes to the staff, or do you keep it? Care to comment on this? It really yanks my crank having a tip added to the bill and then having it go in the owner's pocket!

Thanks.

Not our business. Most restaurnat now do this and nearly ALL do in our home countries. :o

What do you mean, not our business? If it says 10% service charge it should go to the serving staff, NOT TO THE OWNER OR MANAGER!

I've been to EVERY steakhouse in Manhattan and almost every restaurant listed in Zagat's NY, not one charges a gratuity unless it's a party of five or more. And then it goes directly to the serving staff. You picked the wrong guy to argue this point.

tommyv? Care to comment on where that entire service charge goes???

tommyv-

Just wondering if the 10% tip actually goes to the staff, or do you keep it? Care to comment on this? It really yanks my crank having a tip added to the bill and then having it go in the owner's pocket!

Thanks.

Not our business. Most restaurnat now do this and nearly ALL do in our home countries. :o

What do you mean, not our business? If it says 10% service charge it should go to the serving staff, NOT TO THE OWNER OR MANAGER!

I've been to EVERY steakhouse in Manhattan and almost every restaurant listed in Zagat's NY, not one charges a gratuity unless it's a party of five or more. And then it goes directly to the serving staff. You picked the wrong guy to argue this point.

Of course they dont charge a gratuity in Manhattan, 90% or more happily tip a minimum 20%. It is rare to have gratuity charges on the menu in the US, people know they gotta shell out the 20% and always do unless they are a mega slimeball

Well infact you are here to entertain us, that is why you run an entertainment bar? Which may I add in the past have used this forum very well to promote. You wasn’t boring on the site then…

As you keep telling us time and time again you are going to go there and try the place, well when is this going to be? Have you not been yet as it is that expensive you need another weeks budget to eat there?

We are planning a night there within the next week, I was waiting for my Father to arrive.

It isn’t wrong to try the place but I am bored of hearing/reading it.

Most whingers on this forum invest plenty of money in Thailand, Pattaya. Every time they come here they invest money into the system though spending etc. Without them Dave your investment wouldn’t be worth a nickel. remember that, :o

Fair enough but as i've always said i'll speak my mind when i've tried things myself, i'm not going to fire them down before visiting.

I was just with an american friend of mine who went last week BTW, he said he paid around 800bht for a beautiful steak etc and he said his dinner was top notch and well worth it.

Of course the bars survive off of customers cash but i'm not going to bend over for anybody (no jokes please :D ) legit complaints are fair enough of course.

I look forward to reading your opinions regarding Manhattans, and wait patiently...

I would like to add that I did not whinge about Manhattans, have been there given an opinion and you can take it as a definite guideline, The place is really well done out, the food is expensive, veg has to be purchased separately and add 17% to the bill, take plenty of cash. :D

Fair enough but that does'nt mean i can't form my own opinion! If its crap, i'll tell you. :D

If you like a Australian steak the melts in the mouth costing 380 bht with veg and tax visit Nand Nual on walking street from beach road after Tony’s on left hand side. Order STEAK SUPREME. It’s a long way off another Australian steak in this town at 850+veg+10%+7%. :D Amazing as they shout about the USA quality served beef 8%.

Tried it, not really overly impressed, maybe it was a bad night. :D

By the way i drink in your bar, take friends there and enjoy the place :D

Glad you like the bar. :D

tommyv-

Thanks.

Not our business. Most restaurnat now do this and nearly ALL do in our home countries. :D

I don't care to be really honest, its stated on the bill so i have to pay it. :D

Edited by davethailand

It will be interesting to see how this restaurant does. I won't be going, not any other reason than I don't go to restaurants in this price range in Thailand. I channel all my cash into day to day basic living expenses and fine dining just doesn't fit in to my 100k monthly budget. I don't think many of the Pattaya pension people will be going there but perhaps with proper promotion, they can get tourists. I suspect not many readers of this forum with frequent like places for financial reasons

It is rare to have gratuity charges on the menu in the US, people know they gotta shell out the 20% and always do unless they are a mega slimeball

That's not nice calling me a mego slimeball! There's no "gotta" about it. The waiters, etc. are getting a salary. If the service was superb I might give 15%, if its OK, 10%, and if it's horrid, ziltch.

I have friends who were waiters and tips were pocketed by the owner! What to do?? :o

It is rare to have gratuity charges on the menu in the US, people know they gotta shell out the 20% and always do unless they are a mega slimeball

That's not nice calling me a mego slimeball! There's no "gotta" about it. The waiters, etc. are getting a salary. If the service was superb I might give 15%, if its OK, 10%, and if it's horrid, ziltch.

I have friends who were waiters and tips were pocketed by the owner! What to do?? :o

If you don't tip in expensive Western-oriented restaurants in Thailand, then you must be heartless scum. The so-called "salaries" are a bad joke! :D

If you don't tip in expensive Western-oriented restaurants in Thailand, then you must be heartless scum. The so-called "salaries" are a bad joke! :D

Well my self and three friends ate at Manhattans, the service charge was 1700bht. Do you think this is the correct amount for four people to eat as a service charge in Pattaya or do you think we should have given more? If so how much?

Is there any amount of service charge that these people will not except ?

The heartless scum are the restaurant owners who don't pay their employees.

Thailand is not historically a tipping society, keep that bad custom on the other side of the pacific.

Well my self and three friends ate at Manhattans, the service charge was 1700bht. Do you think this is the correct amount for four people to eat as a service charge in Pattaya or do you think we should have given more? If so how much?

Is there any amount of service charge that these people will not except ?

If a service charge is added to the bill, it should be given to the staff and should be enough for everyone to be happy (10% is fine in Thailand). I HATE the fact that so many owners STEAL it, and I'm never sure whether I should add a small tip as well. :D

Didn't Stickman do a review on the 10% policy not that long ago and concluded that most establishments claimed all the money went to the staff? I seem to recall that the Hard Rock in Pattaya was one amongst several that claimed such.

Personally speaking, if a restaurant, hotel, club or whatever charges 10% for service, the amount of tip I leave is a very round number: zero.

In any event, I personally believe that a tip should only be given in recognition of service above what should be reasonably expected. If an establishment chooses to underpay their staff and demand the customer makes up the shortfall, well I have to disagree with their ethics.

To reward mediocre service (without even having a choice) strikes me as bizarre; to pay twice borders on stupidity.

Flame away those that incredulously believe 'it is the done the thing'... :o

Until proven i think the tip comments don't belong on this thread as it is starting to sound like you're all accusing Manhattens of doing this.

Maybe it all goes to their staff? :o

Please show me where I accused Manhattans of anything concerning tips?

And of course, maybe all the tips do go to the staff, and then again maybe they do not.

I have no idea and, so it seems, nor do you.

It should be easy enough for anyone to find out from the staff... :D

Until proven i think the tip comments don't belong on this thread as it is starting to sound like you're all accusing Manhattens of doing this.

Maybe it all goes to their staff? :o

Please show me where I accused Manhattans of anything concerning tips?

And of course, maybe all the tips do go to the staff, and then again maybe they do not.

I have no idea and, so it seems, nor do you.

It should be easy enough for anyone to find out from the staff... :D

Was'nt directing anything at you Noel, Just saying in general. :D

Maybe it all goes to their staff? :D

Well, I think the silence of tommyv speaks volumes...

Maybe he's busy? :D

Personally speaking, if a restaurant, hotel, club or whatever charges 10% for service, the amount of tip I leave is a very round number: zero.

In any event, I personally believe that a tip should only be given in recognition of service above what should be reasonably expected. If an establishment chooses to underpay their staff and demand the customer makes up the shortfall, well I have to disagree with their ethics.

In a wealthy country like Australia, what you say would make perfect sense, but not in a 3rd world country where most employers shaft their workers.

Wake up Dorthy, you aren't in Kansas anymore! :o

Good point, all service charges should go to the serving staff.

I have friends who were waiters and tips were pocketed by the owner! What to do?? :D

If I knew of a restaurant that was stealing the tips I would NEVER go back again or if I worked there I would leave the place. You work your butt off and the boss steals your money? That's just unscrupulous!

The salaries are bad everywhere in Thailand for service staff. It is not Thai culture to tip, however most of the time I do if the food and service is good. Having said that if you have any doubt about what I am saying just watch and see how much the last Thai person tipped.

If a service charge is added to the bill, it should be given to the staff and should be enough for everyone to be happy (10% is fine in Thailand). I HATE the fact that so many owners STEAL it, and I'm never sure whether I should add a small tip as well. :D

You are right, service charge should go to the service staff. Most restaurants I go to do not charge this service charge however if they do then that is the tip, no more to be added.

Didn't Stickman do a review on the 10% policy not that long ago and concluded that most establishments claimed all the money went to the staff? I seem to recall that the Hard Rock in Pattaya was one amongst several that claimed such.

To reward mediocre service (without even having a choice) strikes me as bizarre; to pay twice borders on stupidity.

Flame away those that incredulously believe 'it is the done the thing'... :D

Noel you are 100% right, best post yet on the issue of tipping.

In a wealthy country like Australia, what you say would make perfect sense, but not in a 3rd world country where most employers shaft their workers.

Wake up Dorthy, you aren't in Kansas anymore! :o

The service charge is the tip and nothing more needs to be added. Tipping is not part of Thai culture. It is gratefully accepted but not demanded. Just watch how much the average Thai tips in a restaurant here and that might give you an idea.