Renal Failure Diet

My last surviving dog has been ensconced in yet another local 'animal hospital' here on Phuket for the past few days with renal failure. The others all suffered and subsequently succumbed to it's various manifestations/causalities, albeit 'high protein' (I've been told) leading cause. Which is peculiar, bearing in mind everything fed to dogs is high protein.

Today, had been informed at Big Animal Hospital, that they'd been force feeding (er, 'sometimes') that bland RoyalCanin biscuits. The dog has indeed gained one kilo over the past weekend. However. 'Force feeding'. Really? We're not talking pate foi gras here, nor Bobby Sands and am loath to do it once I'm able to return him home.

IF he looked as though he was on his last legs, I'd tell them to simply put him out of his misery. But he's still happy and full of energy, just so long as he has the fluids (which I must administer thrice daily myself) AND eat the dog equivalent of Khao Thom.

I'd been told by another vet some years ago to 'just let him eat what he wants, he's old'), with which I have some sympathy. However, humans can say 'hell with it' , dogs immediately throw back up that which 'they have wanted', so no nutrition there then.

I did read somewhere that simply adding something flavourful (but no protein) to this bland crap will get them to eat it. I'm willing to have a go. Any tips from those who have actual experience of this, welcome. Thanks.

There is stuff on the internet. Higher fat in the form of med chain triglycerides. My dog will be 14. I have had to use special dog food at times and Im lucky. She just looks up and digs in. Having a smaller dog is easier to handle. Good luck.

With respect, so far have a vegetarian substitute which, being vegetarian myself, would happily give him, never seen it for sale here and looks as though I'd have to force it down his throat anyway. If I'd a puppy, I would make up my own vegetarian stuff and get it used to it. too late now however. It's said 'humans = heart disease, dogs = kidney. (Another good reason to go vegetarian for everyone).

As to 'stuff on the internet', yes well ..

Anyone else? I'd read somewhere pouring canned tuna 'juice' or something on that RoyalCanine crap might entice them to eat it. Anyone?

To much salt in the tuna water.only fish from fresh water is good for dogs Coconut oil is a good source of med chain tri.....The internet does have info and some of it is written by vet researchers.

To much salt in the tuna water.only fish from fresh water is good for dogs Coconut oil is a good source of med chain tri.....The internet does have info and some of it is written by vet researchers.

Just spent another couple of hours on the net reading conflicting advice. Been through this with two other dogs, so aware of outcome. I take your point about the salt in tuna water. Salmon? Too high in protein/phosphorous? I've to administer subcutaneous fluids too, that should be fun .. I hadn't been aware of the diagnosis/prognosis for past two dogs, so they both died in the animal hospital. Don't want this to happen with my last remaining one, so will bring him home and see how it goes. No More Dogs.sad.png

I thought I'd share this with anyone going through chronic renal failure with their dog http://eatswritesshoots.com/2014/06/16/recipe-for-low-phosphorus-dog-food-caring-for-a-dog-with-chronic-renal-failure/

Can't possibly be worse than that overpriced 'science diet' rubbish they won't eat anyway and not about to thrust feeding tubes down his throat as well as shoving needles in him three times per day. At least it's natural ingredients (never fed him commercial dog food anyway), but benefit of hindsight, way too much protein.

Right-o. Off to do some shoPING biggrin.png

I thought I'd share this with anyone going through chronic renal failure with their dog http://eatswritesshoots.com/2014/06/16/recipe-for-low-phosphorus-dog-food-caring-for-a-dog-with-chronic-renal-failure/

Can't possibly be worse than that overpriced 'science diet' rubbish they won't eat anyway and not about to thrust feeding tubes down his throat as well as shoving needles in him three times per day. At least it's natural ingredients (never fed him commercial dog food anyway), but benefit of hindsight, way too much protein.

Right-o. Off to do some shoPING biggrin.png

i would just like to share this with you,if you have read my posts in this forum you will know the problems my boy has had.

well yesterday we got his latest blood test,our main worry was his platelet count not anymore its shot up.

but for some reason his creatinine [kidney's] count has gone up to 1.75.from 0.8,guide is 0.6-1.4. its always around 1.1.

he is only 5yrs.old and eats well and pidle's well.

the last test was done on the 21st.dec. 0.8.

what the wife found out that the blood sample was not taken to the lab for over 40hrs.when the guide lines say not more than 24.looks like another incompetant vet.

so we have got to get him done again.

i agree with you about these expensive so called foods,having had racing greyhounds for 20yrs.i never gave them an ounce of the stuff.

toasted brown bread,horse meat and veg.

my boy gets brocli,carrot,cauli,pumpkin,boiled chicken,beef steak and 4oz.of smart heart.so his diet is pretty good.

i would just like to share this with you,if you have read my posts in this forum you will know the problems my boy has had.

well yesterday we got his latest blood test,our main worry was his platelet count not anymore its shot up.

but for some reason his creatinine [kidney's] count has gone up to 1.75.from 0.8,guide is 0.6-1.4. its always around 1.1.

he is only 5yrs.old and eats well and pidle's well.

the last test was done on the 21st.dec. 0.8.

what the wife found out that the blood sample was not taken to the lab for over 40hrs.when the guide lines say not more than 24.looks like another incompetant vet.

so we have got to get him done again.

i agree with you about these expensive so called foods,having had racing greyhounds for 20yrs.i never gave them an ounce of the stuff.

toasted brown bread,horse meat and veg.

my boy gets brocli,carrot,cauli,pumpkin,boiled chicken,beef steak and 4oz.of smart heart.so his diet is pretty good.

Continue with the diet, but including more green leafy veggies and with above-mentioned site as guideline and DEFINITELY taking the commercial dog food out of the diet, Sam may very well be on a fast road to recovery. :)

Archived