Boxer dog (Snub nose) BKK to UK 2016

My hope is to gather some advice, opinions and ideas for how best, and most economically to the wallet get my Boxer dog back to the UK with me. I am looking at doing this around June 2017, however think it best to start looking into the details of the process now to minimise any issues.

I have done a lot of research regarding import requirements to the UK outlined by DEFRA, and fairly confident regarding the details of this and the timeline, however I am finding it much harder to decide upon the best transport method to get him to the UK.

As far as I can tell I have 2 options:

1. Fly him as checked luggage to an EU airport (Amsterdam) and then overland to the UK
  2. Fly him as Cargo straight to the UK

My thinking (please correct if wrong)

Option 1 is the cheapest as Cargo is a lot more expensive, however the two airlines I have been recommended KLM and Air France state on their websites that snub nosed dogs must fly Cargo sad.png . Despite my dog having a longer profiled snout that typical boxers, and being acclimatised to warmer weather, I assume there is no way around this? And as a result it is no benefit financially to fly him cargo to an EU airport like Amsterdam?

Questions:

• Are there any known airlines that fly from BKK to a EU airport that allow snub nosed dogs as checked luggage?
  • Is there any benefit to flying him to an EU airport if I have to fly him as Cargo?

Option 2, although more convenient is more expensive as I have to use a approved airline and it must be as cargo. As such all Airlines require Cargo shipments to be handled by forwarding agents and so I will need to pay for 2 Agents (one UK and one Thai) as well as the cost of the cargo flight.

Questions:

• If flying Cargo, will I have to employ the services of 2 Agents. One Thai side and one UK side? Or can I handle this myself, simply bringing the dog to the animal checkin with all paper work for the airline?
  • Is an Agent required UK side, or can I simply collect him when he lands and his paper work is checked?

In summary, can anyone suggest the best way to get my Boxer dog to the UK from Bangkok? Any experiences of flying snub nose breed dogs to the UK, or airlines you can recommend would be great. Even more so if anyone knows of any Airline that fly snub nosed dogs as checked luggage from BKK to an EU airport.

Lastly any experiences regarding costs of pet shippers and recommendations, or of going it alone would be a huge help.

Thanks in advanced.

OK so bit of an update of my research. Unfortunately it seems most of the airlines will not accept snub nosed dogs as checked baggage, apart from Lufthansa which fly to Amsterdam, then allowing me to take the ferry with the dog to the UK.

However... 2 issues:

1. Lufthansa wont fly snub nosed dogs when any part of their journey is above 27c. I will be flying late June and although the flight seems to be at 11pm, it is rarely under 27c in Bangkok.
  2. The largest crate dimensions they accept as checked luggage is: 125 x 75 x 85 cm . My crate is: 123 cm x 82 cm x 90 cm

I am not sure if due to the fact Bangkok is always above 27c usually they waiver / are lenient with this rule? Otherwise they would be refusing to fly a lot of pets.

​And regarding the crate size, do you think they would let the 7cm width and 8cm height issue slide? I doubt they would measure it at the checking desk, but does that mean the crate wouldn't fit into the cargo hold?

My issues is that even if I manage to source the next size down crate here in Thailand, it might not offer the extra room required for a snub nose dog.

What a nightmare sad.png

Edited by Bmouthboyo

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps the rules have changed, if so forgive me, but I was under the impression that dogs from certain countries, if not all were required to be quarantined upon arrival in the uk. I understood this was for a period of six months. If this is still the case then I find it hard to believe you could release him from his cage at Schipol and waltz out the front door.

As far as I am aware, again I may be wrong, but Thailand is still considered a Rabies risk country,

There is no more quarantine in the UK. People can take their dogs on holiday there and back.

As long as the animal has the right paperwork. Vaccinations up to date etc. and has an International pet passport, and an international micro chip. So it shows he is yours. That is very important. VERY important.

There are lots of people take their dogs or cats overseas, and from what i have read, if you do it right there will be no problem.

I would fly into a European Airport, with the dog, and all his papers. and drive over to England. Hire a car. That way he is not stuck in a box for hours on end.

I know people, here in Switzerland, who have done the same thing. Flying from Singapore, Jakarta, Bangkok etc with animals. And they have done it with no problems, as long as you have the right papers for the animal.

And just imagine the waggy bottom at the end...!!!

Good luck!!

If you get him over to England, please post a pic of him.

There is no more quarantine in the UK. People can take their dogs on holiday there and back.

As long as the animal has the right paperwork. Vaccinations up to date etc. and has an International pet passport, and an international micro chip. So it shows he is yours. That is very important. VERY important.

There are lots of people take their dogs or cats overseas, and from what i have read, if you do it right there will be no problem.

I would fly into a European Airport, with the dog, and all his papers. and drive over to England. Hire a car. That way he is not stuck in a box for hours on end.

I know people, here in Switzerland, who have done the same thing. Flying from Singapore, Jakarta, Bangkok etc with animals. And they have done it with no problems, as long as you have the right papers for the animal.

And just imagine the waggy bottom at the end...!!!

Good luck!!

If you get him over to England, please post a pic of him.

If there is no quarantine etc in England what is the advantage of flying to a European city and then hiring a car to drive to England - as opposed to just flying the animal on a non-stop flight to England? (Assuming no significant difference in flight time.)