Anyone Bought New Nissan X-Trail Hybrid...Thoughts and Impressions?

Just have one big minus its second hand sell price( lost cost)biggrin.png

That's really "crystal balling" it though...

In November, the X-trail was the biggest seller in it's segment:

X-Trail: 954

CR-V: 675

CX-5: 422

XV: 231

Captiva: 63

Forester: 7

And out of that 954 units, 639 of them were the Hybrid.

If that kind of popularity continues, resale values should not be a problem.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just have one big minus its second hand sell price( lost cost)biggrin.png

That's really "crystal balling" it though...

In November, the X-trail was the biggest seller in it's segment:

X-Trail: 954

CR-V: 675

CX-5: 422

XV: 231

Captiva: 63

Forester: 7

And out of that 954 units, 639 of them were the Hybrid.

If that kind of popularity continues, resale values should not be a problem.

Sounds its good.

Because X-Trail still in my list car choice

Has the xtrail gone up in price since the tax hike? I like the idea of the hybrid in Bangkok traffic, for fuel economy and quietness, but the issue is all that space loss .. Infact an HRV has a bigger boot, at least with the seats up

Edited by Cook my sock

Has the xtrail gone up in price since the tax hike? I like the idea of the hybrid in Bangkok traffic, for fuel economy and quietness, but the issue is all that space loss .. Infact an HRV has a bigger boot, at least with the seats up

1395k for TOP spec Hybrid.

space amoth in my opinion. can two golf bag or two folding bicycles

fuel economy need ask for how many km guaranty for batteries

and cost change batteries.

What's the relevance if the price has gone up...if it has and you still like the car what can you do about it now? And all vehicle prices have adjusted so the relative price differences are likely the same as before the price changes.

As for the hybrid in the slow and stop and go traffic of bangkok, it should be ideal because at slow speeds (maybe under 20-25 kph) you're only using the electric motor and while stopped at lights or in traffic, the stop-start technology on hybrid vehicles means and engine and motor are "off" saving wear and tear on their moving parts and generating less heat and exhaust.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

What's the relevance if the price has gone up...if it has and you still like the car what can you do about it now? And all vehicle prices have adjusted so the relative price differences are likely the same as before the price changes.

As for the hybrid in the slow and stop and go traffic of bangkok, it should be ideal because at slow speeds (maybe under 20-25 kph) you're only using the electric motor and while stopped at lights or in traffic, the stop-start technology on hybrid vehicles means and engine and motor are "off" saving wear and tear on their moving parts and generating less heat and exhaust.

Does it run on the electric motor when stopped? Still need to run the air cond....that made the stop start technology useless in the ecocars in Thailand, as the air would also shut down when stopped.

I like the nissan hybrid.....but if I can get a top spec pjs for not much more...it's a no brainer.

Does it run on the electric motor when stopped? Still need to run the air cond....that made the stop start technology useless in the ecocars in Thailand, as the air would also shut down when stopped.

I like the nissan hybrid.....but if I can get a top spec pjs for not much more...it's a no brainer.

It's my understanding that both the engine and motor are off during stops (but I could be wrong ?) but this is what I have read about hybrid cars. Hybrid cars don't use conventional electro-mechanical starters to turn the engine but electric starters to start the motor so turning off and on during stops is easy and not mechanically taxing on the engine system.

The "problem" of no heating or air-conditioning is sometimes found on small low-spec "mild" hybrid vehicles. These are usually eco-cars with hybrid batteries too small to power these systems with the engine/motor off. Higher end fully hybrid vehicles, with their larger capacity batteries like the xtrail, can run the air-con with the engine/motor off at stops by using power from their larger battery packs.

It is not just econo cars that cat the AC when stopped. The Mercedes auto stop systems does the same.

The AC compressor would need to be driven by an electric motor for that to work. If it is driven by a belt from the engine, it aint gonna cool for long when stopped.

It is not just econo cars that cat the AC when stopped. The Mercedes auto stop systems does the same.

The AC compressor would need to be driven by an electric motor for that to work. If it is driven by a belt from the engine, it aint gonna cool for long when stopped.

Is that true for Thai spec Mercs too...that would be a deal breaker for most in our hot and humid climate. I believe most cars with stop/start engine also have over-rides for it but of course this would negate the fuel and engine wear benefits of the technology.

One other hybrid to consider would be the Lexus NX-300. It's in the luxury class at about 3M baht but if the baht hits 40-1 USD it would "only" be around $ 75k. However, I don't like the Star Wars Tai-fighter design and reviews have said it rides pretty stiff and hard. I might prefer the softer ride of the Xtrail for my 50-year old butt.

https://youtu.be/nG2V8pomtHs

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

One other hybrid to consider would be the Lexus NX-300. It's in the luxury class at about 3M baht but if the baht hits 40-1 USD it would "only" be around $ 75k. However, I don't like the Star Wars Tai-fighter design and reviews have said it rides pretty stiff and hard. I might prefer the softer ride of the Xtrail for my 50-year old butt.

https://youtu.be/nG2V8pomtHs

But now that's just Hybrid at any cost ;)

Hybrid doesn't always make sense :P

Mr. Ardokano has some good points, understand if English can not be everyone's first language. Hybrid battery life is an issue I would not want to have to deal with in a cars life while I owned it. I have not heard of this as an issue from a number of work colleagues that own various hybrids, but not the X Trail.

I had a 2.5 petrol X trail in Singapore, but last generation (the box shaped vehicle). It was one of the nicest cars I have ever driven for what it was, a mid-sized SUV. Everything from interior to, engine, gear boxes, exterior panels, were very high quality. Doors shut very solid, controls easy to use and no cheap plastic feel to them.

I can see they have modernized the lines on the new generation and until here above, I did not see a 2.5 available in Thailand.

I would like to change to an SUV at some time, but leaning toward a big Ford Everest. I like the big!

Mr. Ardokano has some good points, understand if English can not be everyone's first language. Hybrid battery life is an issue I would not want to have to deal with in a cars life while I owned it. I have not heard of this as an issue from a number of work colleagues that own various hybrids, but not the X Trail.

I had a 2.5 petrol X trail in Singapore, but last generation (the box shaped vehicle). It was one of the nicest cars I have ever driven for what it was, a mid-sized SUV. Everything from interior to, engine, gear boxes, exterior panels, were very high quality. Doors shut very solid, controls easy to use and no cheap plastic feel to them.

I can see they have modernized the lines on the new generation and until here above, I did not see a 2.5 available in Thailand.

I would like to change to an SUV at some time, but leaning toward a big Ford Everest. I like the big!

Yes, the battery "issue" with hybrids (or all electrics like Tesla) is really not an issue at all. Hybrid battery packs have been documented to run 150k-200k km without issues and still maintaining more than enough charge to operate the vehicle. A Tesla owner blogger that I follow just passed 100k with his Model S and has lost less than 10% of its battery charge capacity. And if the vehicle is still in otherwise road worthy condition after so many kilometers but the battery is giving out, new OEM battery packs cost about US$ 3-4k or half that for after-market or reconditioned batteries.

The top-spec petrol version in Thailand is the 2.5L model...but I doubt many are buying it now that the hybrid is available.

It DIFFERENT CAR.

pjs it OFFROAD. And its not toy offroad in last generation.

But pjs handling it not realy good in old PJS and in new even worse

dinamic it big diference

PJS 0-100km/h- near 13 sec

X-Trail near 10 sec

so different car

Surprised to hear about the poor handling of the new Pjs. Is the info based on personal experience or what?

I've booked one and personal found it a lot smoother than the old model. Looked at the x-trail as well but learned that it only has airbags at front seats so it quickly went out of the equation.....

"What's the relevance if the price went up". I'm comparing cars and I'm on a budget. The xtrail is top of my budget, along with the facelift cx5 due out soon. Hope that explains Edited by Cook my sock

Surprised to hear about the poor handling of the new Pjs. Is the info based on personal experience or what?

I've booked one and personal found it a lot smoother than the old model. Looked at the x-trail as well but learned that it only has airbags at front seats so it quickly went out of the equation.....

Yes its personal experiance.

I have test and drive my friend New Pajero.

Pajero sport its work horse for bad roads and offroads(hope new be same old)

But it not perfect car fo ride speedway.

Edited by ardokano

Pajero sport its work horse for bed roads and ofroads(hope new be same old)

I agree - the new PJS has much more plush suspension than the outgoing model - so ride quality has improved several grades - but it's at the expense the handling and dynamics. If your 'spirited driving' days are behind you, it's lower limits probably won't bother you at all though.

On my test drives, the PJS starts to get scarily disconnected and floaty at anything above 120-130 km/hr, which is a deal breaker for me. YMMV.

Edited by IMHO

Yes, one shouldn't really compare car-based SUVs like the CRV, Xtrail, Cx5, and Craptiva with the body on frame truck based ones like the Tuna, Pajero, MUX, Everest, etc. They two types have big differences and are really aimed at different buyers.

At least the top hybrid spec now has front and front-side airbags standard now, and not just two in front.

I agree - the new PJS has much more plush suspension than the outgoing model - so ride quality has improved several grades - but it's at the expense the handling and dynamics. If your 'spirited driving' days are behind you, it's lower limits probably won't bother you at all though.

On my test drives, the PJS starts to get scarily disconnected and floaty at anything above 120-130 km/hr, which is a deal breaker for me. YMMV.

frightening body roll start after 100 kilometers per hour

I guess 100-120 it normal (safty) cruising speed For PJS old and NEW. after 120 its start near out control car and can easy turn over.

I guess It is not enough for up speed drive( in Thailand its 120) must be 10-20 km/h more when top speed some time need akseliration for safty reason

And ofcouse it be safty drive more slow mountain roads than for example X-trail

X-Trail habling better than PJS

So what Why i say its different car.

Ofcouse in my opinion

Yes, one shouldn't really compare car-based SUVs like the CRV, Xtrail, Cx5, and Craptiva with the body on frame truck based ones like the Tuna, Pajero, MUX, Everest, etc. They two types have big differences and are really aimed at different buyers.

At least the top hybrid spec now has front and front-side airbags standard now, and not just two in front.

Right, they are designed with very different briefs in mind.

However, if you ignore that and rate them purely on merit, the Everest takes the fight head-on to the crossovers on refinement, noise, vibration, ride quality and handling. It's a BIG car though, and more expensive when compared to the X-Trail Hybrid spec-for-spec.

In the end, my money would probably still go on to the 2.2L Everest Titanium if I was in this price bracket - the extra size is a bonus to me though, not a hindrance ;) The real deal sealers for me would be the full complement of airbags, the more useful 3rd row seats, and that massive trunk.

That said, in a different life I could just as easily see myself choosing the X-Trail :)

However, if you ignore that and rate them purely on merit, the Everest takes the fight head-on to the crossovers on refinement, noise, vibration, ride quality and handling. It's a BIG car though, and more expensive when compared to the X-Trail Hybrid spec-for-spec.

In the end, my money would probably still go on to the 2.2L Everest Titanium if I was in this price bracket - the extra size is a bonus to me though, not a hindrance ;) The real deal sealers for me would be the full complement of airbags, the more useful 3rd row seats, and that massive trunk.

That said, in a different life I could just as easily see myself choosing the X-Trail :)

I agree, if one can use the extra people and cargo room, and don't mind a clacker engine, then the Everest is a great choice. Ford has really gone all out with the safety kit and kaboodle on the Titanium models. I don't really have use for them, however, and mostly it's just me driving so the four airbags up front in the Xtrail is enough for me. I also wouldnt don't fancy wedging the Everest into tight garages and parking spaces in Pattaya where I live ☺

In the end, my money would probably still go on to the 2.2L Everest Titanium if I was in this price bracket - the extra size is a bonus to me though, not a hindrance wink.png The real deal sealers for me would be the full complement of airbags, the more useful 3rd row seats, and that massive trunk.

That said, in a different life I could just as easily see myself choosing the X-Trail smile.png

I agree, if one can use the extra people and cargo room, and don't mind a clacker engine, then the Everest is a great choice. Ford has really gone all out with the safety kit and kaboodle on the Titanium models. I don't really have use for them, however, and mostly it's just me driving so the four airbags up front in the Xtrail is enough for me. I also wouldnt don't fancy wedging the Everest into tight garages and parking spaces in Pattaya where I live ☺

If wearing your shoes, yep, the X-Trail makes perfect sense.

Ah. Still going to help rear seat passengers tho.

The Everest is the exception; despite body on frame it rides v well and handles better than most SUVs

Ah. Still going to help rear seat passengers tho.

The Everest is the exception; despite body on frame it rides v well and handles better than most SUVs

Yep that's true...when i spinn-out, they'll have to fend for themselves ?

I agree the Everest is the complete deal if one wants it all at a reasonable price...all the safety kit and bells and whistles of an x-5 or Volvo Xc-60/90 at 1/3rd the cost.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

What kit does the standard titanium2.2 miss out on?

Apart from pano roof

A more complete list is here: https://www.ford.co.th/en/suvs/all-new-everest/models#step=1

But the big ones are:

Smaller engine, and RWD only

No remote rear door, electric 3rd row seats, or electric passenger seat

No reversing camera (!) - note: there are solutions to add it on, and I wouldn't accept a deal that didn't include it

No driver's knee airbag

No active parking assist, blind sport monitoring, cross traffic alert, or front parking sensors