Bangkok-bound Thai Airways flight makes emergency landing in Osaka

webfact

Bangkok-bound Thai Airways flight makes emergency landing in Osaka
By Coconuts Bangkok

thai_1.jpg
File photo of a Thai Airways plane. Photo: Reuters

BANGKOK: -- A Thai Airways flight heading to Bangkok was forced to make an emergency landing in Osaka, Japan.

Flight TG671 departed Sapporo in northern Japan as scheduled at 10.58am local time and was due to arrive at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport at 4.45pm.

However the Boeing 777, carrying 133 passengers, was diverted to Osaka where it made an emergency landing at Kansai International Airport.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/01/12/bangkok-bound-thai-airways-flight-makes-emergency-landing-osaka

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-01-13

Emergency? Well it may have been, however the Thai spokesman said for technical reasons, whatever that may mean. The press everywhere call all diversions "emergencies" regardless of the reasons. As the flight apparently continued to BKK a few hours later it appears that the technical problem was just that. The photo shows an A330 not a B777, however they did say it was a "Thai Airways plane". You would think that they would have a file photo of the correct aircraft type. Typical reporting of aviation events.

That particular aircraft (HS-TKC) is more than 16 years old. Hope they are keeping up with maintenance!

I do not know the type of emergency but according to Radar24 web site the flight TG 671 landed at Osaka and then completed the flight to Bangkok on the same day.

Then HS-TKC flew to Seoul TG658 and this aircraft is presently on a return flight between Seoul-Bangkok.TG-659.

So the technical problem was resolved quickly .

Edited by cnx355

Emergency? Well it may have been, however the Thai spokesman said for technical reasons, whatever that may mean. The press everywhere call all diversions "emergencies" regardless of the reasons. As the flight apparently continued to BKK a few hours later it appears that the technical problem was just that. The photo shows an A330 not a B777, however they did say it was a "Thai Airways plane". You would think that they would have a file photo of the correct aircraft type. Typical reporting of aviation events.

Here the proper version from an aviation site:

"

A Thai Airways Boeing 777-300, registration HS-TKC performing flight TG-671 from Sapporo (Japan) to Bangkok (Thailand) with 133 passengers and 19 crew, was enroute at FL340 about 150nm northnortheast of Osaka when the crew descended the aircraft to FL260 and decided to divert to Osaka. The aircraft landed safely on Osaka Kansai Airport's runway 06L about one hour later.

Thailand's Civil Aviation Department reported the crew received indication of an electrical problem.

The aircraft remained on the ground for 2.5 hours, then continued the journey and reached Bangkok with a delay of 3.5 "

No emergency declated so no emergency landing, only a diversion due to tech reasons. Nothing to see, move on folks...

Edited by Schibu

Taking an ANA flight to the snow festival in Sapporo next month. It's a more expensive flight and involves a plane change at Haneda. But still preferred over the nonstop Thai Airways flight. Not unlike restaurants or hospitals... you're not getting my business if you clearly have financial issues... and no amount of marketing spin can change underlying financial issues of this scale.

Edited by Heng

I had the same reaction when I saw the pic and read the article. But in hindsight, I think they were just intent on showing 'a Thai Airways plane', for the sake of having a photo to go with the article. I think they were not trying to show aircraft type. At least the caption supports this theory "File photo of a Thai Airways plane". Lucky they didn't write "File photo of aircraft similar to the one that made an emergency landing at Osaka." The latter would've invited a whole new tsunami of bashing... LOL

Anyway, at least they didn't use the pic of a 747. Both the A330 and B777 are twin-engined, widebody planes so in a way, they didn't get it completely wrong. Very few people outside the plane-spotting circle can tell the difference between the A330 and B777. You may even throw the B767 into the mix. To most, they all look the same. Ok, I'm being kind today... LOL

And yes, spot on regarding the reporting. It wasn't exactly an emergency, so I'm not sure why the need to highlight this piece of info. Most planes from most airlines have made diversions at some point in time. Rather this happened, than the pilot deciding to press on in spite of a pending technical issue.

That particular aircraft (HS-TKC) is more than 16 years old. Hope they are keeping up with maintenance!

oh my, what a crisis. Quick, alert the US, Australian, Canadian, German, Dutch, French and Italian media that their flag carriers have equipment even older.

No crisis at all, providing TG's maintenance standards are equivalent to European and American carriers.